Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: Des Walker and Michael Dawson

Bridgfordred79

Default Des Walker and Michael Dawson

in 2002/2003, when we signed back Walker, he played very, very well and almost got us promoted.

But did he do just that? I think in that season, when playing alongside Walker, Dawson's improved immensly, so what im saying is

Is that thanks to Des? Did he help Dawson become the european class centre back he is now?

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nigel Clough

Default Re: Des Walker and Michael Dawson

Quote Originally Posted by Broganator
    in 2002/2003, when we signed back Walker, he played very, very well and almost got us promoted.

But did he do just that? I think in that season, when playing alongside Walker, Dawson's improved immensly, so what im saying is

Is that thanks to Des? Did he help Dawson become the european class centre back he is now?

If it wasn't for his own goal in the playoffs we might of BEEN promoted

Viv Anderson

His own goal was an irony. We'd never have been there if it wasn't for him. It was great he came back to us.

Nigel Clough

Dare I start talking about Wembley '91!?

No, he is a Forest legend though.. Our best ever defender (behind Pearce)

Viv Anderson

Jim Brennan said that he was a major influence on his career.

They see me trollin'

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall#77
    If it wasn't for his own goal in the playoffs we might of BEEN promoted

Forest had already blown it by then.

Forest went off the boil after Harewood had gone off with concussion..

Fucking fat bastard Kenny!

Personally, I'd rate him above Pearce as a defender. Obviously Pearce's influence on the pitch was far greater, but Des Walker was an absolutely world class centre-back and in my opinion better than Pearce.

Ian Storey-Moore
    In the hearts and minds of the weak and wounded

Quote Originally Posted by Rhods
    Personally, I'd rate him above Pearce as a defender. Obviously Pearce's influence on the pitch was far greater, but Des Walker was an absolutely world class centre-back and in my opinion better than Pearce.
    Its difficult to choose between them. Walker is seen as Englands best CB since Moore, but Pearce is considered Englands best ever LB. Either way its nice to have both players mainly linked to a club like ours.

In answer to the question, I think its obvious he would have had a major impact on his carear. If Daws 1st season was with Doig, he might not be where he is now. Although, I imagine his success is mroe down to Hart.

Youth Team

I'm sure Des had a great influence on Daws in their time together here. Wouldn't be surprised to hear Dawson testify to that himself.

Hart really had a strangle hold on that particular group of Forest players though, so credit to him for all the great performances seen by most players that season, would be the general conclusion.

A question to some of the older guys on here about Des: I was born right in the middle of Walker's first run at Forest ('87) so I'm not as informed on him from that period. Was he sometimes played as a LB, i'm guessing in the absence of Psycho.... I ask this as my Dad and Uncle always bang on about this blistering pace he had, and mentioned how he'd bomb down the left flank... anyone remember?

First Team

Don't remember Walker playing as LB , most of the time Pearce replacement when he's suspended or injured is Brett "Mr Moustache" Williams.

As far as Walker's influence on Dawson on the field , most definitely. Most of the defender who played alongside Walker during Paul Hart's reign has commented that he talks non-stop throughout the game , Dawson has said that Walker was always talking to him on the field , guiding him throughout , i remember Hjelde saying something like Walker is the most talkative player he has ever played with and MLJ commented that walker is very noisy on the field.
    Walker should have been retained for one more season , forest definitely missed him the next season and even though he was old , his knowledge , his reading of the game and his experience was still unmatched by any of the forest defenders.

I can never remember Des (but I may be wrong) playing left back and although he was quick getting across or back to make an interception he was never particularly quick with the ball or going forward. His strength was never being beaten on the ground. (almost literally) He was always in the right place and he could read the game perfectly.

Des was sort of the opposite of Psycho where Psycho was powerful, determined and swashbuckling , Des was composed, intelligent and unbeatable. To me if it were a choice for the greatest ever defender it would be very close between Des, Psycho and Viv Anderson - Viv had a lot of Des's skills in reading the game and making last gasp challenges, had pace going back and on the break and was good on the ball too - he also scored some cracking goals.

Imagine a back four of :

Psycho, Des Walker, Michael Dawson, Viv Anderson

we would never lose a game (and probably only concede one Des own goal per season)

Youth Team

I think Des played a few games as stand in at left back VERY early in his career until Brett Williams was used as back up. The thing about Des was that he oozed class and gave the sides he was playing in a supreme confidence to bomb forward. I lost count the amount of times he gave a quick forward or winger 10 yards and snuffed out any danger, in all the times I watched him at Forest (first stinit)I can only remember a one game where he looked out of his comfort zone (think it was a scandanavian forward for Luton can't remember his name).

Quite simpy one of the best players ever to play at the City Ground and fully deserves tthe often over used term legend

Nigel Clough

Quote Originally Posted by Boris Fanta

Imagine a back four of :

Psycho, Des Walker, Michael Dawson, Viv Anderson

we would never lose a game (and probably only concede one Des own goal per season)
    Drop Dawson for Kenny Burns

Nigel Clough

Quote Originally Posted by davenport

Quite simpy one of the best players ever to play at the City Ground and fully deserves tthe often over used term legend
    ^^ This.

<<Rimaniamo distanti oggi per abbracciarci con pił calore e correre pił veloci doman>>

A. Trialist

Quote Originally Posted by clusternakker
    Drop Dawson for Kenny Burns
    And shilton between the sticks..........

Ale ape.

Quote Originally Posted by davenport
    I think Des played a few games as stand in at left back VERY early in his career until Brett Williams was used as back up.
    The Italian side he went to (was it Sampdoria?) seemed to be under the impression he was a right-back and he played most of his games for them there...

Youth Team

What is he doing now?? would have loved Forest to retain his services as a defensive coach.

yam

Quote Originally Posted by Anatoli
    Jim Brennan said that he was a major influence on his career.
    You mean JimmyB11?

Viv Anderson

Don't know about best ever but he was a better defender than Pearce.
    Which is not being disrespectful to Pearce, he had other strengths that Des didn't. Walker was just a superb defender.

Ian Storey-Moore

Dawson and Walker were simply brilliant that season. And we didn't even go up! That's the standard we've gotta look at, and our defence clearly needs strengthening big time. It's a bloody huge shame that Dawson, Reid, Harewood, Williams aren't coming through the ranks now, as opposed to then when we were crippled with debt, as we'd have a real shot at getting up and staying there.

Ah well, Thornhill for England.

Ian Storey-Moore

In Des' first spell at the club, he was unbelievably quick - it meant we could defend on the half way line and nobody would outpace him. It is unfair to compare Des with Daws. Daws was in MHO much better in the air. Des really needed someone to jump against the big men. We came unstuck at Sheff U when they pumped everything in the air. We ran out of steam at the back and failed to get the first headers in. Up until half time, we were getting the 2nd headers in - after half time, we couldn't do it. Des ran out of energy. Bloody Warnock!!!!!!!!!!