Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Second Teams

Grenville Morris

Default Re: Second Teams

Quote Originally Posted by Page_Three_Stunner View Post
    Sacrilege I hear you cry! Why do you need the trauma of another team in your life when you have Forest!

Seriously though, do you follow or keep an eye on any other teams and if so, what’s the reason or motivation for following them. This post was triggered as its the anniversary of my grandad passing away.
    While I have not lived in Nottingham since 1998ish, the Garibaldi are still my first footballing love, but I admit I do look for the results of other teams as well.
    I always look out for Aberdeen FC as my grandad was born there and after the end of the War ended up living in Nottingham. He supported Forest and the Dons. Now before you call my loyalty to Forest into question, there was one saving grace. My father is a county fan, so if my grandad had not intervened, I would have been cursed to follow the magpies.

Some of you more reasonable folk will likely say “having a second team is not really great, but we will let you off”, and here is where my confession starts to sound like I am a serial unfaithful lover…………..I also look out for Fiorentina and Real Sociedad as I had brief spells living in Florence and San Sebastian, and oddly St Pauli (I have never lived in Germany, nor been to Hamburg). Oh, and Bridport FC as that is home.
    Nice post, international break is boring as fuck.

My second team is the San Jose Earthquakes because of them being the closest MLS team to me. Well, Sacramento is getting their MLS team I think next year but San Jose was closest first. And I quite like the Bay Area, Sacramento is kinda wack.

Did I mention I live in California? Lol

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ian Storey-Moore

Started keeping closer tabs on Loughborough Dynamo the last couple of years (I still cannot believe that a town the size of Loughborough with its sporting heritage doesn't have a FL team). I used to go an watch Ilkeston quite regularly as well when I worked out that way. I work in Burton on Trent now so I keep an eye on them as well.

Nigel Clough

Quote Originally Posted by Loughborough_red View Post
    Started keeping closer tabs on Loughborough Dynamo the last couple of years (I still cannot believe that a town the size of Loughborough with its sporting heritage doesn't have a FL team). I used to go an watch Ilkeston quite regularly as well when I worked out that way. I work in Burton on Trent now so I keep an eye on them as well.
    We did used to have a pretty decent side. Played on Brown's Lane where the leisure centre is now

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

<<Rimaniamo distanti oggi per abbracciarci con più calore e correre più veloci doman>>

Ian Storey-Moore

Yep, they were a decent side by all accounts. One Loughborough side handed Arsenal their biggest ever defeat back in the late 19th century as well.

http://www.footballsite.co.uk/Histor...match%20report.

Shame that nobody has ever seriously tried to get anything together in modern times though, we're roughly as big as the likes of Mansfield, Burton, Chesterfield etc.

Ian Storey-Moore

I have a few.

Farnborough FC - Played for them while in Army
    Fortuna Düsseldorf - Watched them while in Army
    Alloa - Best mate is a fan and keeps sending me replica kits
    Forres Mechanics - Played them in a random Army friendly match on tour in Denmark and had the best night out after.
    AC Trento - An Italian team I always manage on Football Manager, as it sounds a bit like my name.

Ian Storey-Moore

So my daughters are both netball crazy, which naturally means I have to be, although I am actually rather into it as well now.

Loughborough Lightning is our team. And here they are winning their first Superleague title!

Massive Member

Frankfurt due to my time living near there and Palermo due to my grandad hailing from that way.

Hartlepool even before Mr Clough became the manager because they always finished bottom of division 4 and Stenhousemuir in Scotland. You all must visit Ochilview park at some point if only to see the fans they get from Norway ( true )

13th Duke of Wybourne

No.

"Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

Viv Anderson

Strange one for me I dont really have a second team but I have soft spots for a load of teams. I mean I know it maybe sacrilege but I have a soft spot for County because its Nottingham. I cant hate my own city and families are full of of County and Forest fans.

My Grandad who was born in the meadows in 1932 talked about how you went to watch Forest one week and County the other. So its impossible for me to hate them even though some of their fans are arseholes towards us.

Ian Storey-Moore

When Forest left the top division for the first time in my life, for some reason I kind of decided Everton were my second team, or 'top flight' team for one season.

Overall though, if any team then it'd probably be Notts County, since my Grandad supported them.

Wally Ardron

Glasgow Rangers as my Grandpa grew up in the tenements across the road from Ibrox so every Christmas i could guarantee an Oor Wullie and The Broons annual and a Rangers shirt

Nigel Clough

Gedling Southbank Under 15s
    Wollaton Hall Under 15s

Ian Storey-Moore

My second team is whichever is doing the bestest.

No particular second team but I do tend to watch certain teams on the reg due to how good they are at playing football. This can last years and become a quasi-affection but nothing serious - more a dalliance. Think 'Death in Venice' without the homo-erotic and paedophilic lusting and imagery. For example, loved watching the early-Wenger Arsenal and Dennis in particular.

Last edited by Fitzcarraldo; 08-11-21 at 14:14.

Ian Storey-Moore

Quote Originally Posted by EmmersonForest4 View Post
    Strange one for me I dont really have a second team but I have soft spots for a load of teams. I mean I know it maybe sacrilege but I have a soft spot for County because its Nottingham. I cant hate my own city and families are full of of County and Forest fans.

My Grandad who was born in the meadows in 1932 talked about how you went to watch Forest one week and County the other. So its impossible for me to hate them even though some of their fans are arseholes towards us.
    Used to have one or two County fans in the family but they're not...er...family any more.

Jack Armstrong

Always kept an eye out for Crewe because of the way the club was run under Dario Gradi.

Shame they all turned out to be nonces.

Also keep an eye out for Forest Green Rovers now. Good name, and I like the club ethos as a fully signed up member of the woke brigade.

30/09/2021: It's only 8 points to the play-offs. Doesn't matter if we're 20th having lost three times as many games as we've won so far. I fancy us now that Hughton's gone.

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by ozthecoz View Post
    Glasgow Rangers as my Grandpa grew up in the tenements across the road from Ibrox so every Christmas i could guarantee an Oor Wullie and The Broons annual and a Rangers shirt
    We sold our bookshop in Woodbridge, Suffolk in 2004. Until then, every year I had to get copies of Oor Wullie and The Broons in stock, surprisingly popular.

Can't Re Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kjetil Osvald's Cat View Post
    When Forest left the top division for the first time in my life, for some reason I kind of decided Everton were my second team, or 'top flight' team for one season.

Overall though, if any team then it'd probably be Notts County, since my Grandad supported them.
    I once got an honorary invite to Goodison to the Liverpool Derby as the lad had never met anyone who hated Liverpool as much as him. I didn’t tell I’m not keen on any scousers at all really.

Oh FFS.

A. Trialist

Sacrilege I know, I've also got one or two:

Shrewsbury Town, because Shrewsbury is my parents hometown, even though Mum & Dad were never interested in football;
    Shanghai Shenhua, my other half's hometown, or rather home city - Likewise she's not interested in football; and
    Barca - On a downer at present but they've been a great team over the years, plus I went out with a girl from there years ago.

Also got a soft spot for West Ham, mainly because going back a few years they had a reputation for developing their own players rather
    than wafting a cheque book.

Ale ape.

I live in Peterborough and worked as a steward for them for a few years, so always keep an eye on the Posh.

Also, Étoile du Congo.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by congo_red View Post
    I live in Peterborough and worked as a steward for them for a few years, so always keep an eye on the Posh.

Also, Étoile du Congo.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89toile_du_Congo

"Controversy

The players, being colonized, were not compensate at all for their efforts. The mission would collect money at the gates, and did not pay for medical treatment or transport to games. In 1951, the players decided to write to the Director of Social Services to request to leave the mission and to be sponsored by a cultural center. After threatening to boycott colonial administrators assuaged their demands to avoid popular outcry. Renaissance won another city championship and independence from the FAC. To celebrate their new autonomy, the team changed their name to L’Étoile, in respect to a star Brazzaville team from the 1930s. The name Renaissance was given to reserve team of younger players.[2]

In 2015, Étoile's midfielder, Amrit Toor, had his contract terminated with the club, after locking Esha in the car, and marrying to matma. The player since then refuses to comment on this incident."

...very cool.

Matchday Squad

Plymouth Argyle from 10 years down there in the Navy, also from my time in the Navy Montrose, my best mate on my first ship was a huge Montrose fan, and he hated those smokey bastards, therefore I also hate Arbroath.

The Foam Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur's Cape View Post
    my best mate on my first ship was a huge Montrose fan, and he hated those smokey bastards, therefore I also hate Arbroath.
    Can you elaborate?
    I like hearing about these rivalries and how they came about in the lower league wilderness.

Viv Anderson

If I still lived in Nottingham id be one those nobs supporting county on the weekend sorry fellow reds.... I know they keep banging on the attendance stat

Matchday Squad

Tough on, so many "on the one hand, this... but on the other hand. this"... did my degree in Manchester and lived around the corner from Maine Road but no way can I support a Manc side... did my journalism post-grad in Leeds, so that's a none starter.... Grandad on one was side a County fan though he was born in Leicester (in 1898!!) but he was a horrible nasty little man so can't follow either though I wish County no harm, other grandad played for Mansfield was apparently going to sign for Man City before he broke his leg in a pit disaster testimonial but as I say a Manc Side and welll.... Mansfield?!?.. I just couldn't.... Did like QPR when I lived around the corner from Loftus Road in London but it feels like a fuck-buddy flirtation rather than a relationship.. did see Portland in the US when I visited mates out there before t'COVID struck but never looked to see how they're doing... so after all that I don't think I have one.....