Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
    Gaff Lad

Default One good turn...

Whilst on holiday in Torquay, the Geordie and I stuck up a very good friendship with an elderly gentleman and his disabled wife. They are both in their late 70s.

During breakfast and evening times, we would often chat about sport. Share a few drinks together and have a few laughs. The fella's name was John and his wife's name was Mickey. She was called Mickey because she is almost completely deaf and has had magnetic implants fitted behind here ears.

The bottom line is, John and Mickey were struggling a lot in the hotel. Me and Geordie would help them both out at meal times fetching and carrying their drinks and food etc. Also helping them both up and the stairs as there were no lifts to their floor in the hotel.

Three days into our holiday, John became very ill. Me and Geordie phoned for an ambulance and John was put on medication and had to remain in his hotel bed for a couple of days.

Eventually John made a full recovery and myself and the Geordie became very close friends with them over the remaining couple of days of our holiday.

It turns out John, is a retired cricket coach at Warwickshire County Cricket Club accademy. He's responsible for coaching the likes of Nick Knight and Ian Bell amongst many others. Although retired, John now coaches the England women's cricket team and the juniors in his local village. This chap has been all over the world working and coaching England International cricketers.

This morning as we were boarding our coaches for our journey home, John asked me for my email address. Geordie passed on my Email address to John and his wife Mickey.

I have just received a lovely Email from John's daughter thanking me and Geordie for taking care and helping her parents in their time of need.

She's informed us John will sending us an autographed cricket bat with players names of our choice. Not only that, John will be arranging a VIP dinner for me and Joolz at either Edgbaston or Trent Bridge next summer when Notts and Warwickshire meet in a fixture.

My missus is a big fan of David 'Bumble' Lloyd. John's daughter has already been in touch with Bumble, and I've been told to expect something in the post from him in the near future.

It just goes to show, it's nice to be nice to folk. You never know who they are. In my case, it was a well respected cricket coach called John Snipe.

Last edited by rockabilly; 18-09-21 at 22:38.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

oopsy daisy!

Default Re: One good turn...

That is a really heartwarming story from all sides.

Gaff Lad

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    That is a really heartwarming story from all sides.
    When Joolz sorts out our holiday snaps, I'll post a piccy of John and my good self sharing a moment together.

Formerly Gandalfthered

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    Whilst on holiday in Torquay, the Geordie and I stuck up a very good relationship with an elderly gentleman and his disabled wife. They are both in their late 70s.
    After reading that I thought it was going to be car keys in a bowl sort of job .

Jokes aside, lovey story, you and Joolz are good people and good things generally happen to good people mate. John sounds like a bloke I’d chew the ear off for hours.

Gaff Lad

Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheRed View Post
    After reading that I thought it was going to be car keys in a bowl sort of job .

Jokes aside, lovey story, you and Joolz are good people and good things generally happen to good people mate. John sounds like a bloke I’d chew the ear off for hours.

Thank you Ganderz, that's very kind of you.

Last edited by rockabilly; 18-09-21 at 22:38.

Viv Anderson

Nice story Rock, decent folk you & your gert

Top lad Rocka

Gaff Lad