View Poll Results: Stick or twist?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • No! Hoof to victory!

5 25.00%
  • Yes! Pass-attack-pass-attack!

15 75.00%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for (another) stylistic u-turn?

Default Time for (another) stylistic u-turn?

To extend the debate in the Lamouchi Appriciation thread, just wondering what folk's thoughts are on our current style, and whether now's the time to change that? (the style, not necc the manager)

See to me paying any type of hoof is an instant black mark for a large portion of our fanbase, and discontent will IMO rear it's head far quicker when form takes a knock than if we're playing decent stuff. Now I've been critical of us constantly u-turning, but cementing Forest as a hoof team is self harming because of that. And at some point we'll need to switch tact.

And I think that point may have come.

Sow, Daws, Cash, Watson, Silva - half our outfield last year who won't see many games between them this year for various reasons. Lolley's not at it, and neither is Grabs. With that in mind, we're having to gel, reshape & resettle anyway, so should we just go the whole hog and switch style to a more attacking one?

We've also become very predictable, and that would help there.

Our home form has also been relatively poor even throughout our good form last year. This would allow us to dominate more. No need for us to change it too much away either, and we could still play defensive where required.

I know this 'aint Lamouchi's preferred style of play, but them's the breaks. Evolve & adapt.

TLDR: At least half the first team on which last year's success was built won't play much this year. As we rebuild, is now the time to change tact too?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ian Storey-Moore
    In the hearts and minds of the weak and wounded

Default Re: Time for (another) stylistic u-turn?

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    To extend the debate in the Lamouchi Appriciation thread, just wondering what folk's thoughts are on our current style, and whether now's the time to change that? (the style, not necc the manager)

See to me paying any type of hoof is an instant black mark for a large portion of our fanbase, and discontent will IMO rear it's head far quicker when form takes a knock than if we're playing decent stuff. Now I've been critical of us constantly u-turning, but cementing Forest as a hoof team is self harming because of that. And at some point we'll need to switch tact.

And I think that point may have come.

Sow, Daws, Cash, Watson, Silva - half our outfield last year who won't see many games between them this year for various reasons. Lolley's not at it, and neither is Grabs. With that in mind, we're having to gel, reshape & resettle anyway, so should we just go the whole hog and switch style to a more attacking one?

We've also become very predictable, and that would help there.

Our home form has also been relatively poor even throughout our good form last year. This would allow us to dominate more. No need for us to change it too much away either, and we could still play defensive where required.

I know this 'aint Lamouchi's preferred style of play, but them's the breaks. Evolve & adapt.

TLDR: At least half the first team on which last year's success was built won't play much this year. As we rebuild, is now the time to change tact too?

Currently we donít have a style. We did about 9 months ago. That style was ok and watchable.

Now our style is Davies away games at their worst both home and away with a sprinkle of Montanier defending.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Carvel View Post
    Currently we donít have a style.
    Here's one

Liaminho

We currently play with 11 players seemingly not knowing what to do or what their role is.

Any style would be appreciated at the moment if it actually provided any structure to the team.

Nigel Clough

I don't personally care what style we play as long as it gets results. We should play whatever style best suits the players that we have at our disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Liaminho View Post
    We currently play with 11 players seemingly not knowing what to do or what their role is.

Any style would be appreciated at the moment if it actually provided any structure to the team.
    Well that's kind my point.

Because of that, should the top brass be insisting that the style we now evolve into is a more attacking/passing one?

Ian Storey-Moore

To be honest if you want a different approach you get a different manager

Ian Storey-Moore

Last season we never had the players to play any other but we do now. We have not scored in a match yet, only looked half decent in the second half against cardiff when we were playing a different formation. Was one thing when we were winning but looking disjointed and negative when loosing is another thing. Time to play to our strength which at the moment is something utilising something more offensive

Quote Originally Posted by Carvel View Post
    To be honest if you want a different approach you get a different manager
    Maybe so, but wouldn't giving the current one a chance to change it up first make sense?

Doesn't stop us from looking for a replacement in the meantime

Ian Storey-Moore

Maybe so, but wouldn't giving the current one a chance to change it up first make sense?

Doesn't stop us from looking for a replacement in the meantime
    I hope he can turn it around. However heís been faced with the same problems for months now and theyíre just getting worse.

Weíve never scored many or created chances, but we were so solid it didnít matter.

For the last 15ish games weíve not created much and been terrible defensively.

That said , I think heís struggling to start with a clean slate this season because the new players he has arenít fit and many of the core ones from last year have left or arenít fit either. With a fit colback, sow, Silva we could look a different side. An unfit Colback (whoís still managing 6/10) and Yates is never going to get you places.

Viv Anderson

No Cashy makes it even harder to play sabri ball. So he is going to have to change the style a bit to accommodate Freeman and get him into dangerous positions.

Matchday Squad

The Sabri way is so predictable and last season he had no alternative due to the lack of players who could change the system, he as no excuse now given the additions and if he decides to carry on with the holding midfielders and allow the opposition to gain the initiative he will be gone with a couple of weeks.

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

Four four f**king two.

By "relegation battle", do you mean 7th, 12th or 14th?

Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

Ian Storey-Moore

Starting a game on the front foot would be a welcome stylistic change. It’s not rocket surgery.

Upper Decker

I think the style question is a red herring. Poor, disjointed, low confidence performances aren't due to the style.

We struggled towards the end of last season due to a lack of squad depth.

We're struggling this season because too many key players are off form, new players are being introduced, and the players look shot of confidence. The end of season collapse affected them more than most predicted.

Sabri has to do it his way. As someone above said, if you want a new style you want a new head coach.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

THE TRUTH IS THERE AND WITH IT I GO TO THE END OF THE WORLD .

Ian Storey-Moore

Quote Originally Posted by EmmersonForest4 View Post
    No Cashy makes it even harder to play sabri ball. So he is going to have to change the style a bit to accommodate Freeman and get him into dangerous positions.
    We will miss cash energy, so will the likes of lolley and grabban who look lacklustre. There getting no service and you can't expect them to give 120 per cent week in week out, not physically possible

Matchday Squad

What we need is a win, then we build in that win. The players have forgot how to win. Nothing sabri does will work until we get back to winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian Storey-Moore

Quote Originally Posted by ForestTurner View Post
    What we need is a win, then we build in that win. The players have forgot how to win. Nothing sabri does will work until we get back to winning.

But it's Sabrinas job to get the team winning

Matchday Squad

Quote Originally Posted by OLDMANRED View Post
    But it's Sabrinas job to get the team winning
    I am in no doubt he will make it happen. Just hope it isnít to late

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    I think the style question is a red herring. Poor, disjointed, low confidence performances aren't due to the style.

We struggled towards the end of last season due to a lack of squad depth.

We're struggling this season because too many key players are off form, new players are being introduced, and the players look shot of confidence. The end of season collapse affected them more than most predicted.

Sabri has to do it his way. As someone above said, if you want a new style you want a new head coach.
    Unfortunately, I think you might have hit the nail on the head.

I say unfortunately, because if the manager cannot reinvigorate the squad after the collapse last season, and a cloud of failure is hanging around the club with the players and manager rubbing off on each other, then how else do you freshen everything up? New faces don't seem to be working so far either.

Joe Lolley looked distraught and shellshocked against Stoke, he apparently deleted his social media accounts or something, and generally doesn't appear to be himself right now. Lamouchi brought him off in the first half against Cardiff for 'tactical reasons' apparently.

Signing new players can mean a lot of settling in, but that's never an excuse when fans and the board are demanding results. Other teams buy players who slot in straight away quite easily. Lolley did so himself when he first joined.

Lamouchi has a huge job on his hands to get this team going again. Right now, they're mentally stale and look stuck in a rot.

Matchday Squad

A winning one with full entertainment please, I will leave the rest to the millionaires to sort it out.

oopsy daisy!

Because of that, should the top brass be insisting that the style we now evolve into is a more attacking/passing one?
    Given their transfer policy I think it is not unreasonable to suggest that the top brass haven't got a fucking clue let alone the ability to insist on any kind of 'style'

Youth Team

All managers are different, I think Sabri is one who likes an arm around him and a word of encouragement when things get tough. Maybe one of the players will step up and have and have a kind word. Get that confidence back.

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Bentheloon View Post
    All managers are different, I think Sabri is one who likes an arm around him and a word of encouragement when things get tough. Maybe one of the players will step up and have and have a kind word. Get that confidence back.
    Genuinely intrigued as to what makes you think this?

I'm not saying you're wrong as I don't know Sabri, just intrigued as to why you think it?.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by gamble View Post
    Genuinely intrigued as to what makes you think this?

I'm not saying you're wrong as I don't know Sabri, just intrigued as to why you think it?.
    I thought he might have been taking the piss.

Maybe I'm wrong.