Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Ian Storey-Moore

Default Re: Sandro Kulenović

Quote Originally Posted by cheapseats View Post
    The obligatory YouTube clips should be banned. Sure he looks half decent but most of the matches look like they were played at Beeston town youth set up...

No problem with the signing by the way-this is clearly one that Murphy has watched for some time so we can't complain the homework hasn't been done assuming he's not going to be upset by the food or weather it hopefully will be a good one
    Yep agree re YouTube vids. Can't base anything on him other than some size and strength with the odd bit of good footwork. Some of the goalkeeping was genuinely Sunday league stuff and a lot of it looked like he was in the under 19's. Nothing to base any kind of opinion on.

I do like the look of this as a signing overall though.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Viv Anderson

Update: this piece says season long loan with a 2m euro option to buy.

https://www.index.hr/amp/sport/clana...e/2291079.aspx

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Heffing Psycho! View Post

I imagine a lot of deals across the leagues will be structured like this.

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Notcher View Post
    Yep agree re YouTube vids. Can't base anything on him other than some size and strength with the odd bit of good footwork. Some of the goalkeeping was genuinely Sunday league stuff and a lot of it looked like he was in the under 19's. Nothing to base any kind of opinion on.

I do like the look of this as a signing overall though.

YouTube videos are good for telling you what type of player they are, what they are good/bad at.

They are not good at judging the quality of player they are - but I suppose that could be said for scouting in person as well? You are always taking that risk.

First Team

get him in ! that sounds ideal , he does well , we buy.

Ian Storey-Moore

So the guy is 21, played Champions League football and actually looks pretty tidy and we think 3m is steep...when we're putting a valuation of 8-10m Johnson, with his one full season of lower league footeh?

We're always going to have to take a risk at our level, especially on lads from Europe, but this seems like a more than fair price for the lad.

Ian Storey-Moore

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    get him in ! that sounds ideal , he does well , we buy.
    sound good yep

EmmersonForest4 "Bellend"

And here in a nutshell is the issue with Barnsley moneyball approach
    We are still taking a gamble, just a different sort of gamble than with the older players we used to sign.
    Please show me one signing that isn't a gamble? Bar maybe Ronaldo and Messi every single transfer available is a gamble.

Not sure how that identifies a 'problem' with the approach Murphy has had with Barnsley. If this kid signs and ends up being ass, he is still at an age where someone will take a gamble on him because of potential and his likely relatively low wages. Show me the que of teams lining up to gamble on Bong, Jenkinson and Arter...

Matchday Squad

Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheRed View Post
    Please show me one signing that isn't a gamble? Bar maybe Ronaldo and Messi every single transfer available is a gamble.

Not sure how that identifies a 'problem' with the approach Murphy has had with Barnsley. If this kid signs and ends up being ass, he is still at an age where someone will take a gamble on him because of potential and his likely relatively low wages. Show me the que of teams lining up to gamble on Bong, Jenkinson and Arter...
    To be fair the reason no one is gambling on that trio is between them they cant have played more than 15 games in 2 years.
    Theres nothing to gamble on other than the rumour they were once footballers

Matchday Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Any Time Now View Post
    Wonder what his work rate out of posession's like, seems to be an aspect Hughton expects with his forwards
    He likes them to be able to defend and be able to know how to cut off passing angles when the opposition have the ball at the back.. Also likes one of the faster smaller forwards to be the one who sits on the edge of the box to cover breakaways if his own own team has corners.

Strikers like this one would have a use in a CH team. Their height would be useful in defending corners and free kicks and this allows you to to go a little bit smaller and more mobile in other areas of the pitch like full back. He is one of few Managers who still likes to play with two wingers and they tend to be small so I can see the Merritt's in this guy if we can get someone more mobile playing alongside him although I still convinced Kevin Nisbett from Hibs will be the Big Striker we sign but you can't put all your eggs in one Nisbett with only a few weeks to go before the season starts

Last edited by NooForest; 17-07-21 at 07:34.

To be fair the reason no one is gambling on that trio is between them they can’t have played more than 15 games in 2 years….
    There’s nothing to gamble on other than the rumour they were once footballers…
    Which is the point, they were all signed past their peaks, so nobody is going to want to take the risk on them (bar maybe Arter). People are much more willing to give second chances to young lads who were seen to be full of potential.

Viv Anderson

Which is the point, they were all signed past their peaks, so nobody is going to want to take the risk on them (bar maybe Arter). People are much more willing to give second chances to young lads who were seen to be full of potential.
    I'm hoping - no, expecting - we've seen the back of the 'one-last-contract' policy under the new recruitment regime Kyle.

Likewise mate, I am genuinely excited by the 'model' which Murphy has successfully implemented previously. It will take a little time for people to get used to this way of working, but I just want people to embrace it.

Viv Anderson

The big question about Murphy is how long before Alf thinks he is a fraud.

Viv Anderson

Dinamo appear to have confirmed that we've made an offer for him:

https://sportske.jutarnji.hr/sn/nogo...lesku-15088940

Looking more and more likely he'll be signing.

Likewise mate, I am genuinely excited by the 'model' which Murphy has successfully implemented previously. It will take a little time for people to get used to this way of working, but I just want people to embrace it.
    It's not so much the model that excites me, although I see nothing wrong with it, it's the fact that he just appears to know what he's doing, and has a track record to back that up.

The agent-heavy way we've been run recently has been shambolic. Murphy actually appears to do some homework on players. Which is a huge step forward.

I'm a big believer in Clough's philosophy that the right people get the job done. The structure which surrounds that, whilst still important, is secondary IMO.

First Team

Good, we need a decent Croatian player at the club. We've only had Jerkan (since when would we use a sweeper) and Mini Modders.

Ian Storey-Moore

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    It's not so much the model that excites me, although I see nothing wrong with it, it's the fact that he just appears to know what he's doing, and has a track record to back that up.

The agent-heavy way we've been run recently has been shambolic. Murphy actually appears to do some homework on players. Which is a huge step forward.

I'm a big believer in Clough's philosophy that the right people get the job done. The structure which surrounds that, whilst still important, is secondary IMO.
    To that end, having the structure on place with the model means that we aren't having scattergun, stick a finger in the air approach. Whoever comes in when we change managers will be working to this model with the structure in place. Theoretically we will save millions every year in transfer fees and wages.

First Team

To that end, having the structure on place with the model means that we aren't having scattergun, stick a finger in the air approach. Whoever comes in when we change managers will be working to this model with the structure in place. Theoretically we will save millions every year in transfer fees and wages.

It's a gamble however you do it, signing players always is. Like the time we had Montanier and brought in people like Pereira, Lam, Dumitru, Perquis, some of them could have worked out and mostly they were cheap unknowns but superficially at least this isn't any different from what others have done.

Ian Storey-Moore

Quote Originally Posted by Statto View Post
    It's a gamble however you do it, signing players always is. Like the time we had Montanier and brought in people like Pereira, Lam, Dumitru, Perquis, some of them could have worked out and mostly they were cheap unknowns but superficially at least this isn't any different from what others have done.
    There is a statistical approach and a methodology behind this approach. Yes there is a gamble but the odds of failure are lower.

Viv Anderson

As long as we stick to it and do it properly, there's been a few false dawns when it's looked like we were going down this route in the past. In my opinion (and I know a few others on here share that opinion) it's increasingly becoming the only way clubs like us can compete with the parachute yo-yo teams let alone competing if we manage to get promoted, a good solid structure and a coherent plan running above whoever is manager/coach. It's so rare now days to be successful by putting all your eggs in one basket and giving the manager full control over the entire club.

Aye, obviously both in unison will help a lot.

So far so good. The relief at Vrentroz stepping back is just huge anyway.

Matchday Squad

If he signs you have to imagine Taylor is probably on the way out

Ian Storey-Moore

As long as we stick to it and do it properly, there's been a few false dawns when it's looked like we were going down this route in the past. In my opinion (and I know a few others on here share that opinion) it's increasingly becoming the only way clubs like us can compete with the parachute yo-yo teams let alone competing if we manage to get promoted, a good solid structure and a coherent plan running above whoever is manager/coach. It's so rare now days to be successful by putting all your eggs in one basket and giving the manager full control over the entire club.
    I agree with you and the others. It really is the only way to compete with the parachute teams. To stay anywhere near them you have to have a sound structure and a joined up approach from top to bottom, irrelevant of managers and coaches changing. The parachute teams or most of them will just throw money at it and hope it sticks, that will work for some but others will come unstuck. That's when the other teams can overtake them such as Brentford.

Viv Anderson

It’s the only logical way to go as managers don’t last long enough nowadays. You need to have a long term vision that considers questions like what of the manager were to leave. Plus in the old days the structures weren’t too dissimilar as some managers relied on robust scouting.

What I think we have done as a club previously is neglect the stats side and I know it’s not the be all end all but you need to have there as well. I also think we have been too lazy with recruitment. Relying on outside influences like olympiakos and Jorge mendes. That’s not saying they could have worked for us but I just didn’t think too much quality assurance was put into it.

You are dead right though the only way we can challenge parachute money is like this. We need to find quality cheaper and get more players with resale value.