Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    Ian Storey-Moore

Default Re: LTLFs solid-gold sounds of the 70s..

Quote Originally Posted by alabamared View Post
    I have to say that although this is a great song I find that version far too 'disco' for my taste the original by David McWilliams dating from 1967 is a masterpeice and was a big favourite of David Bowie who once named David McWilliams as his favourite song writer. The interseting thing about this song concerning the chorus which sounds like it is being sung through a megaphone was acheived by phoning in from a public call box outside the studio; who needs high tech!
    Here is the original and definative version (OK not seventies I know), I love this song.

Yes I know it's 'too disco'. It's just something quite obscure that I liked at the time, though I didn't actually know the original then. I quite liked Marc Almond's version too.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Forestjones View Post
    Yes I know it's 'too disco'. It's just something quite obscure that I liked at the time, though I didn't actually know the original then. I quite liked Marc Almond's version too.
    I didn't intend to dis any ones taste I just meant it was too disco for my taste, if disco is any one's thing that is fine. Yes the Mark Almond version is very good also.

I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

Ian Storey-Moore

Quote Originally Posted by alabamared View Post
    I didn't intend to dis any ones taste I just meant it was too disco for my taste, if disco is any one's thing that is fine.
    I didn't take it that way, I knew what you meant. It's fine.

Ian Storey-Moore

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah wham bam thank you ma'am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde View Post
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah wham bam thank you ma'am

TUNE!!

Gaff Lad

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    RIP Peter Shelley.

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    RIP Peter Shelley.
    Jester supported these back in 2013 at Donny Live. He'd put some weight on t'old lad had, but still had that raw attitude about him RIP

Last edited by Alf-engelos Mindminackers; 29-11-21 at 14:53.

Gaff Lad

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    Jester supported these back in 2013 at Donny Live. He'd put some weight on t'old lad had, but still had that attitude about him RIP
    Shame about his attitude, I was a big fan of theirs. Fair f**ks to you Alf and Red Jester for supporting them.

Ian Storey-Moore

January 1973

Ian Storey-Moore

Quote Originally Posted by I'm Red Till Dead View Post
    Fantastic. I remember this in the charts (it was a small hit, between 20-30), in late '74. A few months later I had it on a 'Ronco' compilation 'Dance Sing or Anything'. I didn't realise at the time that it had been originally released in 1970 on the 'Abraxas' album. I have since bought Abraxas.

Ian Storey-Moore

The only week that they've ever spent at number one in their entire career (to date), was this week in 1975 with this one.

Anyone remember saving tokens from smiths crisps and then getting this on a slightly more rigid than normal flexi disc with 'Break The Rules' on the other side ?

There was also one with Showaddywaddy 'Rock 'n' Roll Lady' on one side and Sweet Sensation's 'Sad Sweet Dreamer' on the other. And Bay City Rollers Bye Bye Baby/All Of Me Loves All Of You. That's the three I had/still do, and they played ok last time I tried them, but I think eight were available in total.

The only week that they've ever spent at number one in their entire career (to date), was this week in 1975 with this one.

Anyone remember saving tokens from smiths crisps and then getting this on a slightly more rigid than normal flexi disc with 'Break The Rules' on the other side ?

There was also one with Showaddywaddy 'Rock 'n' Roll Lady' on one side and Sweet Sensation's 'Sad Sweet Dreamer' on the other. And Bay City Rollers Bye Bye Baby/All Of Me Loves All Of You. That's the three I had/still do, and they played ok last time I tried them, but I think eight were available in total.
    Bit before my time, but remember hearing about similar with the Smiths Crisps. Remember the add too. "We want to be.....Smiths crisps!"

Possibly 9 - https://www.discogs.com/label/118878...-Chart-Busters

Ian Storey-Moore

Ah yes, they're the ones. I didn't know about the Rubettes one. Though I do still have a regular flexi of them that was given away with Record Mirror in 1974. It's of 'Saturday Night' from their debut album. Still got a lot from that 'Flexipop' magazine that was published around 1981/82.

Ian Storey-Moore

January 1974. I suppose I prefer this to 'Stuck In The Middle' because it's rarely played on the radio.

The same month

Ah yes, they're the ones. I didn't know about the Rubettes one. Though I do still have a regular flexi of them that was given away with Record Mirror in 1974. It's of 'Saturday Night' from their debut album. Still got a lot from that 'Flexipop' magazine that was published around 1981/82.
    I still have a Copy of the Wear its 'At album, though sadly not the press out cardboard hat that was in with it when I bought it.

Ian Storey-Moore

I still have a Copy of the Wear its 'At album, though sadly not the press out cardboard hat that was in with it when I bought it.
    I forgot all about the hat with that. I think I bought a year or two later, so didn't get the hat. I've still got the Bay City Rollers 'Once Upon A Star' LP with the five slide out cardboard poster things.