Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Uche Ikpeazu

Ian Storey-Moore

Default Re: Uche Ikpeazu

Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheRed View Post
    To be fair, nobody is really forcing stats or an analytical approach on the average fan. But stuff like xG and advanced stats are the core of the analytical approach the club appear to be adopting.

In the NFL there is a company called PFF who do all the data driven stuff, and a lot of times it can fly in the face of what you actually see on the field, that is why there has to be some balance.
    Exactly that, balance is key. There is room for this approach and it has a place but there are things that stats can't see which is player intelligence. A player might miss chances or be in goalscoring positions but has pulled players out of position and many other factors that only a human approach will notice and understand.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

EmmersonForest4 "Bellend"

xG is a bit different, but analytics doesn't take in to account what the player has been asked to do from the manager. That is one of the things PFF gets caught out on, they grade who players do on a certain play, but they don't know what the player assignments are during that play.

Matchday Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Now youíre getting to the part thatís so interesting for the football data crowd.

Take the Lyle Taylor vs Harry Kane comparison again.

HK 20/21 - 21 goals, 17xG
    LT 20/21 - 4 goals, 7.5xG

You could reasonably predict that if HK got another 17 xG-worth of chances, he would score more than 17 goals. Conversely, if LT got another 7.5xG worth of chances it is unlikely he would score 7-8 goals based on his previous performance.

However, if Lyle Taylor was the other way round, 4 xG but 8 goals for the sake of argument, you could argue that heís a prolific goal scorer starved of chances. Thatís the kind of insight that would require loads of further analysis, video watching etc to decide if that hypothesis is likely to be true or not. Hence why xG is a good signifier of whatís going on but not the be all and end all of analytics.
    Iím not sure the stats are highly developed enough to be completely reliable. Thereís just too many other aspects to successful football that these systems arenít able to account for...how players move around the pitch, the positions they take up and the timing of that, decision making and choices in different situations, the players theyíre playing alongside and against. Itís the subtleties of football that gets lost in using raw basic stats as a way to recruit players. I hope to god whatever Forest do they have a more sophisticated way of weighing up players and developing them.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Iím not sure the stats are highly developed enough to be completely reliable. Thereís just too many other aspects to successful football that these systems arenít able to account for...how players move around the pitch, the positions they take up and the timing of that, decision making and choices in different situations, the players theyíre playing alongside and against. Itís the subtleties of football that gets lost in using raw basic stats as a way to recruit players. I hope to god whatever Forest do they have a more sophisticated way of weighing up players and developing them.
    As Iíve stressed, xG is just one tool in many tools available for player analysis. Itís not a one stop shop to say whether a player is good or not - it just tells you one thing about a players performance.

You can create a hypothesis based on xG - like ĎLyle Taylor is not a good finisherí - then use other statistics, video, watching the players in-person etc in order to create a profile/report on a player that is actionable by a football team.

Ian Storey-Moore

I know this is in the wrong place but what were the xG results for the England v Scotland game?

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Ian Storey-Moore

Quote Originally Posted by eugenboppboppbopp View Post
    I know this is in the wrong place but what were the xG results for the England v Scotland game?

Quoting myself but I'd have it as 0 0. Does xG agree?

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheRed View Post
    To be fair, nobody is really forcing stats or an analytical approach on the average fan. But stuff like xG and advanced stats are the core of the analytical approach the club appear to be adopting.

In the NFL there is a company called PFF who do all the data driven stuff, and a lot of times it can fly in the face of what you actually see on the field, that is why there has to be some balance.
    Oh, I have a son in law (and his brother0, both accountants, and they love the stats stuff. There is a place for everything in this world.

The bit that gets me is the constant invention of yet another statistic to throw at the game, which is basically so simple.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by eugenboppboppbopp View Post
    Quoting myself but I'd have it as 0 0. Does xG agree?

Probably not. Iíll check now.

1.67 - 0.73

English xG split fairly evenly between Mount, Stones and the goalmouth scramble. None of the Scottish chances rated particularly highly.

Viv Anderson

Off to Warnock and Boro.

First Team

1m ? good luck to boro at that price. i would take pigott and humphys. maybe our new director of recruitment can land some young german striker

Last edited by marshal99; 01-07-21 at 18:12.

Matchday Squad

Ikpeazu and Sammy-Warnock going for the tried and tested, size, strength and power!

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BryanRoy View Post
    Off to Warnock and Boro.
    Well, that just shows you can never second-guess Colin's targets.

1 mill?🤣