Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 301 to 325 of 330
  1. #301
    Gaff Lad
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the Fairground.
    Posts
    23,906

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    Our Doug often used to regale us with his Goose Fair stories from when he was a Teddy Boy in the late-50s Gary - up until he was called-up for national service that is.

    Being the keen jiver that he was, I'd also be surprised if he didn't get involved in the contests.
    He's fast becoming a bit of a legend in my eyes is your Doug.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #302
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Dock Of The Bay, Bakersfield NG3.
    Posts
    14,671

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.

    Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    He's fast becoming a bit of a legend in my eyes is your Doug.
    Having shown him some of your contributions on here I think the feeling is mutual Gaz.


  4. #303
    Gaff Lad
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the Fairground.
    Posts
    23,906

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    Having shown him some of your contributions on here I think the feeling is mutual Gaz.
    Thank you, that's very kind.


  5. #304
    Gaff Lad
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the Fairground.
    Posts
    23,906

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.



    Some of my heroes.

    I've seen Sonny burgess in concert, had a chat with him afterwards, same with Charlie Feathers and Billy Lee Riley too, all on separate occasions. All three of them were humble and genuine. They were we very proud that their records are still being played and bands are performing their songs.


    All sadly no longer with us. RIP.

    One of the British Rock 'n' Roll legends I've met is Vince Eager. Such a kind and Humble gentleman and still has an amazing voice. The same cannot be said about Marty Wilde. When we gigged at his club back 1998, he was an arrogant pig with his head stuck up his @rse!

    Last edited by rockabilly; 24-09-21 at 10:24.

  6. #305
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Dock Of The Bay, Bakersfield NG3.
    Posts
    14,671

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.

    Unless I'm mistaken, Vince is a local lad Gary?

    I remember calling into The Lion at Basford/Forest Fields about 5/6-years-ago where he was performing with his band. He still sounded pretty good for a bloke in his early-70s at the time. Likewise, his band - mostly of a similar vintage - were noticeably good players.


  7. #306
    Warp Speed Chic
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    12,941

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.

    I always find pictures of Roy Orbison without his sunglasses a bit weird. I know he didn't adopt them fully until the early 60s but you know


  8. #307
    Bob McKinlay
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    99,287

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.

    Hello, I’m Johnny Cash.

    „I believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialism“

    „Don't forget you're alive. 'Cause sometimes when you walk around the city and you're in a bad mood, you can think, hey, wait a minute, we're alive! We don't know what the next second will bring and what a fantastic thing this is. This can get easily forgotten in the routine of life, and that's something I'm trying to bring to my attention at all times. Don't forget you're alive. We're not dead, you know. This is the greatest thing.”

    — Joe Strummer

  9. #308
    Gaff Lad
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the Fairground.
    Posts
    23,906

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, Vince is a local lad Gary?

    I remember calling into The Lion at Basford/Forest Fields about 5/6-years-ago where he was performing with his band. He still sounded pretty good for a bloke in his early-70s at the time. Likewise, his band - mostly of a similar vintage - were noticeably good players.
    Nice one Frank. Yes, I think Vince still lives in the Nottingham area. I remember there was a time when he was appearing as a guest on Radio Nottingham regular. Always came across as a decent chap in his interviews.

    I last saw Vince and his band perform at The Chellaston Royal British Legion in Derby, about 6yrs ago. The gig was FREE entry. Vince's performance was top notch as were his band, and had the dance floor packed from start to finish. After the gig, Vince took time out to visit every table in the room, having his picture taken, signing photos and answering questions. That night will live long in my memory.

    Btw, did your Doug go to see Vince Eager with you?


  10. #309
    Gaff Lad
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the Fairground.
    Posts
    23,906

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.

    Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    I always find pictures of Roy Orbison without his sunglasses a bit weird. I know he didn't adopt them fully until the early 60s but you know
    Aye... I know what you mean.


  11. #310
    Warp Speed Chic
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    12,941

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.

    A picture I got at the Musicians Hall of Fame in the fine city of Nashville




  12. #311
    Gaff Lad
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the Fairground.
    Posts
    23,906

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.

    Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    A picture I got at the Musicians Hall of Fame in the fine city of Nashville

    Nice one Sam.


  13. #312
    Warp Speed Chic
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    12,941

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.




  14. #313
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Dock Of The Bay, Bakersfield NG3.
    Posts
    14,671

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.

    Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    Nice one Frank. Yes, I think Vince still lives in the Nottingham area. I remember there was a time when he was appearing as a guest on Radio Nottingham regular. Always came across as a decent chap in his interviews.

    I last saw Vince and his band perform at The Chellaston Royal British Legion in Derby, about 6yrs ago. The gig was FREE entry. Vince's performance was top notch as were his band, and had the dance floor packed from start to finish. After the gig, Vince took time out to visit every table in the room, having his picture taken, signing photos and answering questions. That night will live long in my memory.

    Btw, did your Doug go to see Vince Eager with you?
    No Gary, but I'm pretty sure he saw him way back when he would have seen Billy Fury et al.


  15. #314
    Gaff Lad
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the Fairground.
    Posts
    23,906

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.

    Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    The sign writing instinct in me, tells me, that S needs to be made into a $.


  16. #315
    Warp Speed Chic
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    12,941

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.

    It was the backdrop to either the Johnny Cash Show or Johnny Cash and Friends. I can't remember exactly.


  17. #316
    Gaff Lad
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the Fairground.
    Posts
    23,906

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.


    .
    .

    I'm gonna order a copy of this.


  18. #317
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Speluncarrum Domus
    Posts
    10,916

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.

    Maybe our own Medders lad Otis can give us the story of this place, apparently it was a big deal in the Medders in th 60's



    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

  19. #318
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Dock Of The Bay, Bakersfield NG3.
    Posts
    14,671

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.

    Quote Originally Posted by alabamared View Post
    Maybe our own Medders lad Otis can give us the story of this place, apparently it was a big deal in the Medders in th 60's

    I have fond memories of the place AR. I first went there in the very early-60s when it served as a youth club as part of St Francis Church on Mundella Road. It eventually became more of a soul/Motown dance club for mid-teenage kids.


  20. #319
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Dock Of The Bay, Bakersfield NG3.
    Posts
    14,671

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.

    Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    Btw, did your Doug go to see Vince Eager with you?
    Sorry Gary, I missed this earlier, but I only caught him by chance when I called in with an old mate who lives that way. When I mentioned it to him, our Doug was a bit envious however.


  21. #320
    Gaff Lad
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the Fairground.
    Posts
    23,906

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    Sorry Gary, I missed this earlier, but I only caught him by chance when I called in with an old mate who lives that way. When I mentioned it to him, our Doug was a bit envious however.
    Cheers Frank.


  22. #321
    Gaff Lad
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the Fairground.
    Posts
    23,906

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    "Eastwood Elvis" takes me back to the almost-legendary Sneinton Elvis who used to regularly pop-up around the Notts area Gary.


    I've just found this old picture, Frank.

    This is the Nottingham 'Elvis' I had seen a couple of times back in the late '80s.


  23. #322
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Dock Of The Bay, Bakersfield NG3.
    Posts
    14,671

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.

    Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post


    I've just found this old picture, Frank.

    This is the Nottingham 'Elvis' I had seen a couple of times back in the late '80s.
    Unlike 'Sneinton Elvis', at least that fella looks to be making an effort Gary - visually anyway.


  24. #323
    Where's me hammer?
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    52,395

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    "Eastwood Elvis" takes me back to the almost-legendary Sneinton Elvis who used to regularly pop-up around the Notts area Gary.
    When I were a kid there were two Eastwood Elvis's and a couple of Ted's.... one of the Ted's was actually one of the Elvis's dependant on one what he fancied wearing.

    The Elvis/Ted had scars everywhere including one across his neck where he'd supposedly had his throat cut in an altercation "on the scene" his party trick was to pour a pint down his throat liie pouring a pint down the sink. He was a real good singer, both attributes he put down to that one injury.

    Mountain of a man and not one to be messed with, I remember my mates mum having us at about 10 years old when we took the piss... she knew the man and said he was not one to upset but respect.

    My town growing up had men like that dotted about that I doubt there are now. Kind of like a secondary police that sorted stuff out.

    The other eastwood elvis was a clown I doubt either are the one on display down the Boat (MFN)


  25. #324
    Gaff Lad
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the Fairground.
    Posts
    23,906

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    When I were a kid there were two Eastwood Elvis's and a couple of Ted's.... one of the Ted's was actually one of the Elvis's dependant on one what he fancied wearing.

    The Elvis/Ted had scars everywhere including one across his neck where he'd supposedly had his throat cut in an altercation "on the scene" his party trick was to pour a pint down his throat liie pouring a pint down the sink. He was a real good singer, both attributes he put down to that one injury.

    Mountain of a man and not one to be messed with, I remember my mates mum having us at about 10 years old when we took the piss... she knew the man and said he was not one to upset but respect.

    My town growing up had men like that dotted about that I doubt there are now. Kind of like a secondary police that sorted stuff out.

    The other eastwood elvis was a clown I doubt either are the one on display down the Boat (MFN)
    Nice one Barry.


  26. #325
    Where's me hammer?
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    52,395

    Default Re: Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins, Soul Music and Cultures pre 1990.

    Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    Nice one Barry.
    It's strange when you converse with people like yourself because we'd have no doubt took the piss out of how you dressed when we were kids...... but looking at this thread and your fairground thread I can totally see why you did it.

    It was no different to us wanting to go clubbing till 6am in some shithole in Birmingham, you latch onto the scene of your era. The music, the sounds the smells, the look...

    The naivety of youth

    Last edited by Barry; 19-10-21 at 10:52.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •