Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

      
  1. #1
    Upper Decker
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In acres of space
    Posts
    42,373

    Default UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

    UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play (FFP) and will replace it with a new system of financial control which will give clubs more freedom over their spending. (Source: @tancredipalmeri)


    Obviously, this only applies to Premier League clubs, but I wonder if it will lead to changes in the EFL equivalent of FFP.

    Last edited by Ravi; 24-03-21 at 14:17.
    THE TRUTH IS THERE AND WITH IT I GO TO THE END OF THE WORLD .

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Twitter: @Mark_Searby
    Posts
    13,966

    Default Re: UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

    Clubs were already in the shit because of FFP. Then the pandemic hit and made everything even worse on the financial side.
    So this doesn't surprise me.


  4. #3
    Bob McKinlay
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    94,337

    Default Re: UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

    Common sense at first glance, then you remember UEFA are involved so no doubt the replacement will be something equally as shit that can be skilfully avoided by oligarchs, natural resource magnates and sovereign wealth funds, as they see fit.

    „I believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialism“

    „Don't forget you're alive. 'Cause sometimes when you walk around the city and you're in a bad mood, you can think, hey, wait a minute, we're alive! We don't know what the next second will bring and what a fantastic thing this is. This can get easily forgotten in the routine of life, and that's something I'm trying to bring to my attention at all times. Don't forget you're alive. We're not dead, you know. This is the greatest thing.”

    — Joe Strummer

  5. #4
    Shoot to Thrill
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    South London
    Posts
    6,788

    Default Re: UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Common sense at first glance, then you remember UEFA are involved so no doubt the replacement will be something equally as shit that can be skilfully avoided by oligarchs, natural resource magnates and sovereign wealth funds, as they see fit.
    Can confirm

    Apparently they're calling it "Commercial Clean Practice"


  6. #5
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Trent End
    Posts
    17,259

    Default Re: UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

    Fucking finally. FFP is the biggest farce football has seen for decades, and does the exact opposite thing it's been brought in to do.


  7. #6
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    out west
    Posts
    18,896

    Default Re: UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play (FFP) and will replace it with a new system of financial control which will give clubs more freedom over their spending. (Source: @tancredipalmeri)


    Obviously, this only applies to Premier League clubs, but I wonder if it will lead to changes in the EFL equivalent of FFP.
    Surely it only applies to European Club Competitions?

    FFP in the Premier League is not in UEFA's jurisdiction.

    EXACT SAME BENEFITS

  8. #7
    Nigel Clough
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,244

    Default Re: UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

    Will be even shitter than the current setup no doubt


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  9. #8
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    12,697

    Default Re: UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

    It will result in absolutely no change to the status quo in which the likes of Bayern, Real, Barcelona, Juventus, Man U etc cream off enormous sums of TV money. If it did, the big clubs wouldn't stand for it and UEFA would be a lame duck.


  10. #9
    Bob McKinlay
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    94,337

    Default Re: UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

    Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    Surely it only applies to European Club Competitions?

    FFP in the Premier League is not in UEFA's jurisdiction.
    True, FFP (as it applies to the Premier League and EFL) was brought in as a consequence of the UEFA guidelines. Not much point being allowed to spend billions if that bars you from European football.

    The supposition here is that if UEFA bin off their FFP rules, those domestic leagues that implemented them will maybe follow suit?


  11. #10
    Bob McKinlay
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    94,337

    Default Re: UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

    Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    It will result in absolutely no change to the status quo in which the likes of Bayern, Real, Barcelona, Juventus, Man U etc cream off enormous sums of TV money. If it did, the big clubs wouldn't stand for it and UEFA would be a lame duck.
    True.

    In the case of Bayern, their income (from TV money and commercial revenue) is almost double that of their nearest financial competitor, Borussia Dortmund. This change won’t affect that at all, what it would do is effectively allow Bayern to spend more money (if they wanted to).

    That said, the Bavarians - like all German clubs - have to present an annual business-plan with accounts that actually add up before a ball can be kicked. This (hopefully) prevents clubs being run insolvently, which was one of the problems FFP was supposed to sort.


  12. #11
    oopsy daisy!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    On a longship close by
    Posts
    19,555

    Default Re: UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

    Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    It will result in absolutely no change to the status quo in which the likes of Bayern, Real, Barcelona, Juventus, Man U etc cream off enormous sums of TV money. If it did, the big clubs wouldn't stand for it and UEFA would be a lame duck.
    They are probably going to restructure it to specifically exempt such clubs as those you mention from having to adhere to any such rules.


  13. #12
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,113

    Default Re: UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

    Its just UEFA appeasing the big clubs

    Past caring


  14. #13
    Grenville Morris
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    27,998

    Default Re: UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

    Not much choice in scrapping FFP. If you're going to apply the rules without any leniency then 90% of the clubs across Europe are going to get hit with transfer embargoes purely because their top line has sank because no fans have been able to enter the ground. That's not exactly rewarding "good" financial behaviour but punishing things outside the control of clubs.

    That said, FFP was a nice little way of ensuring those with the money could stay at the top so what you'll probably find replaces it (if indeed it is being replaced, I think it's more likely it's just not accounted for this year) is something like clubs having spending curtailed to % of revenue. That'll force all clubs to "live within their means" but allows Premier League teams to spend more (revenue increased due to TV) and traditional big clubs to spend more (more fans, bigger commercial deals).

    .k I m
    I m u mm

  15. #14
    Inequity & hypocrisy
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Nellingen-Ostfildern
    Posts
    1,948

    Default Re: UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

    Quote Originally Posted by Rzarecteh View Post
    Fucking finally. FFP is the biggest farce football has seen for decades, and does the exact opposite thing it's been brought in to do.
    I would argue FFP did exactly what it was intended to do, force an ever wider gap between the wealthy clubs and everyone else.


  16. #15

    Default Re: UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

    Whatever UEFA replace FFP with you can be 100% certain it won't be detrimental to Real Madrid,
    Bayern Munich,Paris Saint-German and Manchester United.


  17. #16
    Bob McKinlay
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    94,337

    Default Re: UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

    A colleague told me today, Manchester United have agreed a new shirt-sponsorship deal with TeamViewer (a German software company) for €275m.

    That’s the equivalent of about ten years of Forest‘s entire turnover. Just for sticking a logo on their shirts.


  18. #17
    oopsy daisy!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    On a longship close by
    Posts
    19,555

    Default Re: UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    A colleague told me today, Manchester United have agreed a new shirt-sponsorship deal with TeamViewer (a German software company) for €275m.

    That’s the equivalent of about ten years of Forest‘s entire turnover. Just for sticking a logo on their shirts.
    As far as I am concerned they can stick their logo (and associated sponsorship) up their arse.


  19. #18

    Default Re: UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    As far as I am concerned they can stick their logo (and associated sponsorship) up their arse.
    I'd also consider telling UEFA to shove their Champions League trophy where the sun rarely shines.


  20. #19
    oopsy daisy!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    On a longship close by
    Posts
    19,555

    Default Re: UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloughie1975 View Post
    I'd also consider telling UEFA to shove their Champions League trophy where the sun rarely shines.
    Champions League?

    No it isn't.

    It's the 'Anyone who is rich enough to qualify will be almost guaranteed a quarter final place' Money Grabbing Shitshow League sponsored by corrupt R Us.


  21. #20

    Default Re: UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Champions League?

    No it isn't.

    It's the 'Anyone who is rich enough to qualify will be almost guaranteed a quarter final place' Money Grabbing Shitshow League sponsored by corrupt R Us.
    All clubs are equal but some clubs are more equal than others.


  22. #21

    Default Re: UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

    Seems like this was dead the day Man City had their ban overturned in court anyway.


  23. #22
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    out west
    Posts
    18,896

    Default Re: UEFA is reportedly scrapping Financial Fair Play

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    A colleague told me today, Manchester United have agreed a new shirt-sponsorship deal with TeamViewer (a German software company) for €275m.

    That’s the equivalent of about ten years of Forest‘s entire turnover. Just for sticking a logo on their shirts.
    Incredible. It's worth £47m per year. That's the scale of it, two seasons of running Forest.

    But that's the scale of things.

    Football's income distribution is a power-law and that's what the competition is for.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •