Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Proper Football in the 70s and 80s before those W***ers at Sky killed it.

The Foam Hand

Default Re: Proper Football in the 70s and 80s before those W***ers at Sky killed it.

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post

They must be Scouse fans...

They've pinched his shoes and socks!!!
    I like looking at what folk are wearing, I can see a few Donkey Jackets, Sheepskins...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Proper Football in the 70s and 80s before those W***ers at Sky killed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    I like looking at what folk are wearing, I can see a few Donkey Jackets, Sheepskins...
    Stags? Spirites?

One of my favourite characters from the 70's

I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

Upper Decker

Quote Originally Posted by alabamared View Post
    One of my favourite characters from the 70's
    I saw him score the winner in the first leg of the Super Cup against Barcelona in front of the old Trent End.

Stand Firm And Strike Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    I saw him score the winner in the first leg of the Super Cup against Barcelona in front of the old Trent End.
    Indeed he did.

He also lost a couple of fingers whilst fixing a lawn mower, I think that happened when he was playing at Southampton.

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Talking of pictures from old stadia; here’s a few photos of my local stadium, through its history.

The Neckarstadion was opened in 1897, in the Neckerpark area in Bad Cannstatt. The stadium was built on land adjacent to the original Mercedes-Benz plant (where the Mercedes-Benz Museum stands today).

In 1933, and with the change in government in Germany, the the ground is renamed the Adolf Hitler Kampfbahn:

Of course, this name was discontinued after WWII, and the Stadium was briefly named the Century Stadium, until 1949, when it was renamed the Neckarstadion.

Here is an aerial shot of the Neckarstadion in 1974:

The open end to the right side of the photo above is the famed Cannstatter Kurve, where the most passionate supporters gather.

Another rename came in 1993, when the stadium was renamed the Gottlieb Daimler Stadion, after the local Motor-industry pioneer. After 2008, another major refurbishment was started, including putting a roof around the whole ground using a revolutionary type of fabric.

Here it is, under construction:

In 2008, it was then renamed the Mercedes-Benz Arena, and it remains so today:

Another refurbishment is planned before the Euro 2024 championship, which will be hosted by Germany.

The Cannstatter Kurve though, still remains the heart of the ground:

Where Ireland (including Hughton) beat England at Euroo '88

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    Well spotted Red. Yes Hugh Johns was the commentator on ATVs 'Star Soccer'.

Hugh was was my favourite ITV commentator.
    For years when I ran out onto a football pitch bouncing a ball I would have the star soccer theme tune ringing in my ears. That tune, Hugh John’s voice, proper crowd noises that’s all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    For years when I ran out onto a football pitch bouncing a ball I would have the star soccer theme tune ringing in my ears. That tune, Hugh John’s voice, proper crowd noises that’s all you need.
    Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    I was at this tournament. Managed to get into the Holland England game without a ticket, was on cloud nine until Holland proceeded to completely humiliate us. Great trip though!

Along the theme of this thread, do Littlewood's still do the pools?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    I was at this tournament. Managed to get into the Holland England game without a ticket, was on cloud nine until Holland proceeded to completely humiliate us. Great trip though!
    Iconic game to have been at though for the van Basten hat trick. Watched that back fairly recently. The whole tournament is on Daily Motion. England hit the woodwork twice, cracking match.

First international tournament I remember watching. Loved that Dutch team. Thought Gullit was a football god. Gullit, Rijkaard, van Basten, Koeman and I think the greatest ever football kit.