Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 43 of 86 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 2126

Thread: Proper Football in the 70s and 80s before those W***ers at Sky killed it.

Matchday Squad

Default Re: Proper Football in the 70s and 80s before those W***ers at Sky killed it.

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    I totally agree with what you say Mr Clough, but the area around the old Baseball Ground is not a nice place anymore. A statue there wouldn't last five minutes.
    Yes Rockabilly,I noticed it wasn't the best of areas so you're probably right.Sad to see though-BC and PT
    deserve some recognition at the location where they made their names as a brilliant double act.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wally Ardron

Default Re: Proper Football in the 70s and 80s before those W***ers at Sky killed it.

I totally agree with what you say Mr Clough, but the area around the old Baseball Ground is not a nice place anymore. A statue there wouldn't last five minutes.
    It was a shithole when the Baseball Ground WAS there- so I think the "anymore" in your sentence was superfluous.

Wally Ardron

Quote Originally Posted by Cloughie1975 View Post
    Yes Rockabilly,I noticed it wasn't the best of areas so you're probably right.Sad to see though-BC and PT
    deserve some recognition at the location where they made their names as a brilliant double act.
    They should do a PT & BC "Angel of the North" big F-off statue affair at the side of the A52 halfway between Nottingham and Derby.

Matchday Squad

Quote Originally Posted by virgo View Post
    It was a shithole when the Baseball Ground WAS there- so I think the "anymore" in your sentence was superfluous.
    Still a historic football site for true lovers of the game,young man.

Matchday Squad

They should do a PT & BC "Angel of the North" big F-off statue affair at the side of the A52 halfway between Nottingham and Derby.
    Classy.

Wally Ardron

Which would put it in Long Eaton .... wouldn't last a minute before being pulled down for scrap value lol

The Foam Hand

I liked the Baseball Ground, it was a dump but it oozed proper football. Good atmosphere, partly surrounded by terraced houses partly industrial, lots of nooks and crannies inside it, stands close to the pitch...
    Not saying this as a sneering Forest fan but part of that club died when they moved, same as Bolton and a few others.

Even rebuilding a stadium on an existing site doesn’t always work, Meadow Lane and Field Mill are two good examples.

Gaff Lad

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    I liked the Baseball Ground, it was a dump but it oozed proper football. Good atmosphere, partly surrounded by terraced houses partly industrial, lots of nooks and crannies inside it, stands close to the pitch...
    Not saying this as a sneering Forest fan but part of that club died when they moved, same as Bolton and a few others.

Even rebuilding a stadium on an existing site doesn’t always work, Meadow Lane and Field Mill are two good examples.
    Absolutely spot on Bryn.

Matchday Squad

Quote Originally Posted by ozthecoz View Post
    Which would put it in Long Eaton .... wouldn't last a minute before being pulled down for scrap value lol
    True,but I guess a mass punch up would ensue between Nottingham and Derby meatheads which would render the statueunsaleable anyway.

Burnden Park was awful, at least once they built a supermarket behind the goal.

Matchday Squad

Indeed,I dislike the majority of modern soulless stadiums.
    As for the rivalry(hatred) between Forest and Derby-when I first watched football in 1966 the main rival was
    Leicester.It was only when a certain Brian Clough arrived in the East Midlands that the emphasis changed,the fact remains that without Cloughie both teams would still be provincial football clubs having achieved very little
    in their long existences.

The Foam Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post

It had a great atmosphere before they did that, proper olde school ground.
    Notice the home fans applauding McDonalds second goal here, you never get that now in stadiums.

Matchday Squad

Burnden Park when near capacity would make your hair stand on end-also in the town centre which was the heartbeat of a famous old club.

The Foam Hand

Burnden Park when near capacity would make your hair stand on end-also in the town centre which was the heartbeat of a famous old club.
    I’ll second that. We went into a few pubs on the ‘Manny Road’ when we played them once, it was electric, very passionate fans.

I only went once - when Notts played there in the play-offs in 1990.

Supermarket behind the goal in the first leg. Leisure Centre behind the goal in the second leg. Proper football.

The Foam Hand

Supermarket behind the goal in the first leg. Leisure Centre behind the goal in the second leg. Proper football.

Matchday Squad

True Francis,Burnden Park had been ruined by then.I think your view of it would be different if you had seen a
    near full house with stands/terraces on 4 sides of the ground.
    The NORMID superstore destroyed the stadium for me and the move to Horwich meant the club lost connection with
    it’s traditional fan base.

Matchday Squad

Sorry Francis-I missed the irony of the leisure centre(obviously Meadow Lane)!

The Foam Hand

Sorry Francis-I missed the irony of the leisure centre(obviously Meadow Lane)!
    I’d like to see some footage from a County game before that eyesore was built if anyone can find any.

What about this beauty from Admiral?
    Who else would get to wear the same kit in three different colours

Matchday Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Wolfgang Schnell BSc. PhD. View Post

I always liked the Dundee version of this kit (home and away). I’d upload a picture if I could.

Gaff Lad

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Wolfgang Schnell BSc. PhD. View Post

Thats a proper 'wank fest' there for Bryn. He'll be in his bunk all day.

Gaff Lad

There you go Steve.

Last edited by rockabilly; 11-04-21 at 08:20.

Gaff Lad

The two Coventry Away kits before and after the chocolate brown.

Makes me wonder... if Forest had been with admiral, would we have had something similar for our home and away?

Gaff Lad

Anyone remember when Coventry wanted to drop 'City' and become Coventry Talbot?

The football league refused to let them use Talbot.