Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Results 351 to 364 of 364
  1. #351
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    32,430

    Default Re: The Music Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Wolfgang Schnell BSc. PhD. View Post
    I've got a lovely gatefold vinyl of this - still love it.

    I think their problem was that they tried to go "stadium rock" and a lot of their early fans deserted them. Not sure they did anything special after new gold dream.
    Sounds about right.

    I thought Sparkle in the Rain (1984) was good. Once upon a time (1985) was probably their best known album, some good songs on there.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #352
    Inequity & hypocrisy
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Nellingen-Ostfildern
    Posts
    1,948

    Default Re: The Music Chat Thread

    Lost Prince album, Welcome 2 America, to be released in July

    https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...leased-in-july


  4. #353
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    out west
    Posts
    18,896

    Default Re: The Music Chat Thread

    A really interesting thread on music rights, ownership, legals etc through the prism of Taylor Swift's conflic with her original recond label, Big Machine

    https://twitter.com/ThatsMauvelous/s...879089674?s=19

    Similar vein, a brief comment on the Stones and deal that went wrong

    https://twitter.com/JustinsBigIdea/s...211034117?s=19

    EXACT SAME BENEFITS

  5. #354
    Grenville Morris
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    27,730

    Default Re: The Music Chat Thread

    The Stones screwed the Verve over Bitter Sweet Symphony as well. Richard Ashcroft only started getting money from that song 2 years ago.


  6. #355

    Default Re: The Music Chat Thread

    Was it the stones or Andrew what’s his name ? I thought he got all the money.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  7. #356
    Impressive member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    14,115

    Default Re: The Music Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Sounds about right.

    I thought Sparkle in the Rain (1984) was good. Once upon a time (1985) was probably their best known album, some good songs on there.
    I recently bought a boxset of their albums for £12 odd. Includes a few from the 'golden era'. I only know their singles really, so it will be interesting to hear them in the context of the original albums.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00920HM...ing=UTF8&psc=1

    Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk



  8. #357
    Bob McKinlay
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    94,337

    Default Re: The Music Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by adam09 View Post
    The Stones screwed the Verve over Bitter Sweet Symphony as well. Richard Ashcroft only started getting money from that song 2 years ago.
    Hmmm, screwed is a bit harsh.

    He ripped off the riff from the instrumental version of The Last Time, so much that the Glimmer Twins (Mick and Keef) were added to the songwriting credits and the royalties went/still go to Allen Klein, the Stones‘ Manager.

    It was a salutary lesson in plagiarism, I guess.

    „I believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialism“

    „Don't forget you're alive. 'Cause sometimes when you walk around the city and you're in a bad mood, you can think, hey, wait a minute, we're alive! We don't know what the next second will bring and what a fantastic thing this is. This can get easily forgotten in the routine of life, and that's something I'm trying to bring to my attention at all times. Don't forget you're alive. We're not dead, you know. This is the greatest thing.”

    — Joe Strummer

  9. #358
    Wally Ardron
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    1,766

    Default Re: The Music Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Hmmm, screwed is a bit harsh.

    He ripped off the riff from the instrumental version of The Last Time, so much that the Glimmer Twins (Mick and Keef) were added to the songwriting credits and the royalties went/still go to Allen Klein, the Stones‘ Manager.

    It was a salutary lesson in plagiarism, I guess.
    The Stones (Jagger Richards) handed back the rights to the Royalties last year. The Stones were never involved in the legal wrangle, it was all done by Allen Klein, who was the Stones manager at the time of the song. However, the bit the Verve sampled was nothing to do with Jagger/Richards, as it was a sample taken from an orchestral version performed by the LSO (or whoever).


  10. #359

    Default Re: The Music Chat Thread

    Andrew Loog Oldham
    I thought it was him that got the royalties ?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  11. #360
    Bob McKinlay
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    94,337

    Default Re: The Music Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hughton,we have a problem View Post
    Andrew Loog Oldham
    I thought it was him that got the royalties ?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, it was Allen Klein.


  12. #361
    Impressive member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    14,115

    Default Re: The Music Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Allen Klein.


    Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

    Last edited by Cortez the Killer; 10-04-21 at 18:45.

  13. #362
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    32,430

    Default Re: The Music Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Cortez the Killer View Post
    I recently bought a boxset of their albums for £12 odd. Includes a few from the 'golden era'. I only know their singles really, so it will be interesting to hear them in the context of the original albums.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00920HM...ing=UTF8&psc=1

    Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk
    There’s at least three good albums there, be nice to hear what you think when you’ve given them a good listen


  14. #363
    Inequity & hypocrisy
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Nellingen-Ostfildern
    Posts
    1,948

    Default Re: The Music Chat Thread


  15. #364
    Bob McKinlay
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    94,337

    Default Re: The Music Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob1965 View Post
    I was just reading that, a fantastic piece.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •