Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Music Chat Thread

I just had a listen.

They are a bit late for me as I was far to busy working then to keep up with the music from the mid 80's on. However, I thought that the music was good particularly the intros, especially the Sweet Child O' Mine intro. I'm probably showing my age here, but the singing is pretty rubbish. It's too far back in the mix to be able to make out the words. It might be my ears failing, but it would nice (I think as I can't make out much of the lyrics) to hear what they are singing about.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Gaff Lad

Quote Originally Posted by I'm Red Till Dead View Post
    I just had a listen.

They are a bit late for me as I was far to busy working then to keep up with the music from the mid 80's on. However, I thought that the music was good particularly the intros, especially the Sweet Child O' Mine intro. I'm probably showing my age here, but the singing is pretty rubbish. It's too far back in the mix to be able to make out the words. It might be my ears failing, but it would nice (I think as I can't make out much of the lyrics) to hear what they are singing about.
    When I've finished my Gaff Lad thread, I'll start a 'Golden Oldies' music thread. "The sounds of the 50s, 60s and 70s" Reaching the parts the post 80s music can't reach.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm Red Till Dead View Post
    I just had a listen.

Nice one mate. I think Axl's voice is a bit marmite anyway, but I absolutely love it.

The band said listening back to it a few years ago, that they always felt the drums were a bit poorly mixed. Not for me though.

Senior doom Monger

Always liked that album, but still prefer Use Your Illusion.
    UYI I and II are both excellent, apart from "Get in the ring" which I think has no value whatsoever.

The Foam Hand

That GnR album would be a really difficult one for me to review fairly.
    When it was released it seemed to be on in every pub for the following two years playing on a loop. Because of that they became a band I disliked and even now if they are on the radio I change the station.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    Always liked that album, but still prefer Use Your Illusion.
    UYI I and II are both excellent, apart from "Get in the ring" which I think has no value whatsoever.
    Me too mate, UUI2 is my fave rock album of all time. But I went for AFD because it was more influential, iconic & prob has more tunes none-GnR fans are familiar with already, so they can get into it easier.

I used to love "Get in the Ring" as a kid though. Just pure aggression and wanting a scrap

Senior doom Monger

For devotees of cryptic crosswords, Axl Rose is an anagram.

Ian Storey-Moore

Arse Lox?

Grenville Morris

I've had a couple of listens all the way through which is a good sign it's a solid album. Stands outs are obviously Sweet Child O Mine, Paradise City, Welcome To The Jungle and My Michelle but Night Train is good too. Track 2 It's So Easy sticks out a bit because he sings it differently (ie really low) compared to everything else, maybe that could have gone later in the album, it's weird at number 2.

It's testament to how good those big songs are that they clock in at 5-6 minutes and they don't feel long compared to some of the 3-4 minute songs which you some times think... ok I've heard this riff before.

Favourite little parts are the bass in the bridge of Paradise City and the first solo in Welcome To The Jungle.

I have very little context of music around this time seeing as I was only just born but I feel like it's super energetic, the guitars sound wicked (that unmistakable Marshall sound), driving drums and bass, raspy rock vocals, a few overdubs without overdoing it... it sounds like a band making some fucking noise, which is ace.

The Foam Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzcarraldo View Post
    Arse Lox?

Grenville Morris

Album of the week has to be...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior doom Monger

Quote Originally Posted by adam09 View Post

My stepson introduced me to Daft Punk a few years ago.
    I quite like the occasional one off but found listening to a whole album a bit of a bore.

Boom. On it.

Assuming this is "Homework" btw?

Senior doom Monger

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    Boom. On it.

Assuming this is "Homework" btw?
    Yes... now sit down with your head phones on and do your homework.

Viv Anderson

Returning to the music year theme, it's 1968 for me.....

Electric Ladyland....Jimmy Hendrix
    The Beatles (aka White Album)....The Beatles
    Lady Soul....Aretha Franklin
    Filles de Kilimanjaro....Miles Davis
    Music From Big Pink....The Band
    Beggars Banquet....The Rolling Stones
    The Dock of The Bay....Otis Redding

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    Returning to the music year theme, it's 1968 for me.....

Electric Ladyland....Jimmy Hendrix
    The Beatles (aka White Album)....The Beatles
    Lady Soul....Aretha Franklin
    Filles de Kilimanjaro....Miles Davis
    Music From Big Pink....The Band
    Beggars Banquet....The Rolling Stones
    The Dock of The Bay....Otis Redding
    I'm not a fan of the Beatles at all, but there's no denying their influence and that's another cracking portion of time.

Beggars Banquet & Electric Ladyland regularly get a listen from me.

Grenville Morris

Yeah although you could stick Discovery on straight after.

It’s not my normal music but each song is a slab of groovy, funky, catchy dance music. Big, boomy kick drums, playing disco beats with deep, smooth bass locked in together. Add in buzzy synths playing catchy melodies and you have a super palatable sounds that all have loads of space to breathe.

Oddly, there’s almost no vocals so it’s kind of like mood or background music to me, someone who wouldn’t go to a club and dance to music like this.

The album is perhaps a little too long with 16 tracks including intro and outro. Stand outs for me are Da Funk, Around the World, Rollin and Scratchin and Burnin which is all the way down at track 13 and probably would have been a good way to finish the album.

Gaff Lad

This was the time when the Rolling Stones were at Swarkestone, Derbyshire. At the time, i lived just a couple of hundred yards from where that photo was taken.

The building is now 'Holiday flats'.

Yeah although you could stick Discovery on straight after.

Itís not my normal music but each song is a slab of groovy, funky, catchy dance music. Big, boomy kick drums, playing disco beats with deep, smooth bass locked in together. Add in buzzy synths playing catchy melodies and you have a super palatable sounds that all have loads of space to breathe.

Oddly, thereís almost no vocals so itís kind of like mood or background music to me, someone who wouldnít go to a club and dance to music like this.

The album is perhaps a little too long with 16 tracks including intro and outro. Stand outs for me are Da Funk, Around the World, Rollin and Scratchin and Burnin which is all the way down at track 13 and probably would have been a good way to finish the album.
    Good summary. Just finishing my first listen now, and it's definitely more of a background album than one to sit down and focus on.

A lot of the tracks seem structured to for DJ's to mix, rather than be listened to as a full track.

Gonna give it a few more listens then will post mi thoughts.

Last edited by Alf-engelos Mindminackers; 23-02-21 at 12:39.

Ale ape.

I have a love-hate relationship with Daft Punk.

I love them for the entire Homework album (apart from the fillers and interludes) and hate them for 'Get Lucky' (and to a lesser extent, One More Time).

Viv Anderson

I love Daft Punk. Some great tunes. But from a production geek point of view, then had some amazing skills and did some amazing things.

This is going viral today, and there's insight here. But some of their other tricks are incredible - sidechain compression on an LFO ooh suits you sir!

EXACT SAME BENEFITS

Warp Speed Chic

Would it be churlish of me to say I had always preferred Justice?

I was looking at buying a Daft Punk helmet sometime last year. I've gained some sort of weird obsessions with musical mask, covering thing. I want to buy a MF Doom mask as well.

I think music is a weaker place for Daft Punk no longer being in it. Revolutionary.

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    Would it be churlish of me to say I had always preferred Justice?

I was looking at buying a Daft Punk helmet sometime last year. I've gained some sort of weird obsessions with musical mask, covering thing. I want to buy a MF Doom mask as well.

I think music is a weaker place for Daft Punk no longer being in it. Revolutionary.
    I think Justice do the anthemic electro much better for sure.

Daft Punk much more clever though.

Warp Speed Chic

Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    I think Justice do the anthemic electro much better for sure.

Daft Punk much more clever though.
    Where would Cross be in a best of list with Daft Punk? Imo, it's the best electronic album of all time.

Warp Speed Chic

Just put Cross on the turntable, I have no Daft Punk, and I just no that prices have gone up stupidly over the last 24 hours which means I'll not be able to change that.