Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62

Thread: Charlie Wyke

  1. #1
    Ian Storey-Moore
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3,475

    Default Charlie Wyke

    Sunderland Echo reporting that we have formally offered Wyke contract terms. Bagged 31 last season for them, good age at 28. It's a yes from me

    Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2
    Impressive member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    14,227

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    Wyke, which is Geordie for 'why-eye, like'.

    Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk


  4. #3
    First Team
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,937

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    A no from me.


  5. #4
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    19,931

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    https://youtu.be/_-q5HbMfFlQ

    I like the look of him and 31 goals in league 1 isn’t too shabby.


  6. #5

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    Saw him score a hat trick for Carlisle at Welling in the cup. Cup pedigree. It's a yes from me.


  7. #6
    Ian Storey-Moore
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3,475

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogtits View Post
    https://youtu.be/_-q5HbMfFlQ

    I like the look of him and 31 goals in league 1 isn’t too shabby.
    Christ!!! How many headers in that lot? Thought I was watching a Niall Quinn showreel.

    Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk


  8. #7
    Nigel Clough
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    6,347

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    Sunderland fans don't seem to rate him that highly despite his goalscoring record, from what I can tell. Never impressed me when I've seen him play either. I don't think he's better than what we've got (which is already a pretty low bar).


  9. #8
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    12,842

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    Got around to watching Sunderland till I die. Couldn't step up then for Sooooonderland.

    Watched him in the play-offs and he looked a slow donkey at times.


  10. #9
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Dock Of The Bay, Bakersfield.
    Posts
    13,780

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    If there's any truth to this, CH must have another target in mind who is able to deliver decent and consistent service from wide.


  11. #10
    Impressive member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    14,227

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Sunderland fans don't seem to rate him that highly despite his goalscoring record, from what I can tell. Never impressed me when I've seen him play either. I don't think he's better than what we've got (which is already a pretty low bar).
    Sunderland fans didn't rate Grabban just before he signed for us.

    Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk


  12. #11
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    12,842

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    Quote Originally Posted by Cortez the Killer View Post
    Sunderland fans didn't rate Grabban just before he signed for us.

    Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk
    Only because he walked out on them because he didn't want to be at their shithole of a club after scoring 10 in the first half of the season.

    For what it's worth, the Sunderland Echo's headline was clickbait. It only mentioned us because we had been linked before.


  13. #12
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chester
    Posts
    10,523

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    My dad is a Sunderland fan, I’ve been to the stadium of light a fair few times. My dad thinks he’s a certified donkey but if you have quality wingers and use him properly he can be effective. One of the main reasons he did so well is he had very good quality coming into the box from McGeady. If we do get him we have to make sure we have quality coming into the box as all his other parts of his game is a bit useless.


  14. #13
    Gaff Lad
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the Fairground.
    Posts
    20,374

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    Quote Originally Posted by Cortez the Killer View Post
    Sunderland fans didn't rate Grabban just before he signed for us.

    Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk
    Beat me to it.


  15. #14
    Nigel Clough
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Milan, Italy
    Posts
    6,940

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    If there's any truth to this, CH must have another target in mind who is able to deliver decent and consistent service from wide.
    That does seem to be his go to tactic. See the Glen Murray signing and lack of any good numbers from our central players.

    Percentagetastic.

    Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

    <<Rimaniamo distanti oggi per abbracciarci con più calore e correre più veloci doman>>

  16. #15
    First Team
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Nottingham/Lincoln
    Posts
    8,766

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    What an incredibly underwhelming signing this would be.


  17. #16
    Matchday Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    638

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    Mixed opinions and messages here(as usual!).
    I’ve never seen him play so it’s difficult to say-I just suspect we need someone rather more mobile and
    quicker(in the Marlon Harewood mould).


  18. #17
    Matchday Squad
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    772

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    You have to laugh at Sunderland fans calling someone, who has just scored 31 goals in a season for them, a donkey.


  19. #18
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    JLB Credit
    Posts
    10,276

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    I've never seen him play, and I've never heard of him, but you can't argue with a record like that.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk


  20. #19
    Wally Ardron
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    On the Brexit Border
    Posts
    1,702

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    Watched him in the playoffs.

    He won’t make many goals but will finish chances offered to him.

    Useful to have around if he gets the right service.


  21. #20
    oopsy daisy!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    On a longship close by
    Posts
    19,617

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    Quote Originally Posted by Red bandit View Post

    Useful to have around if he gets the right service.
    So basically. No use to us whatsoever.


  22. #21
    Ian Storey-Moore
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    4,074

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    Quote Originally Posted by Notcher View Post
    Christ!!! How many headers in that lot? Thought I was watching a Niall Quinn showreel.

    Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk
    Maybe we're trying to buy him to teach Yates how to head a ball into that rectangular thing with a net on it and not into row G.


  23. #22
    Matchday Squad
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    654

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed View Post
    Maybe we're trying to buy him to teach Yates how to head a ball into that rectangular thing with a net on it and not into row G.
    There are similarities to the types of players that Wyke and Yates are to Murray/Hemed and Baldock.

    Neither of them on their own were World Beaters but what they brought to the table complimented each other - That's what CH does. He puts together a productive team as opposed to individuals. He likes his more individual creative players to be out wide and with an instinctive goal scorer from midfield.

    The balance of the team will be better this coming season . And what will also be better is the Teamwork and Cameraderie within the squad of players he assembles.


  24. #23
    Nigel Clough
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Getting High
    Posts
    6,619

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    More chance of Charlie Bucket... Or even Charlie Gove...

    Joking aside, this is definitely the kind of player we need to be looking for, someone who is producing at a lower level, right side of 30, and won't cost much, we don't need our strikers running the channels and dropping deeper into midfield, we need them getting in the box and getting on the end of crosses, sticking a boot or a head on them, no-one did that last season even though Kncokaert and Christie put loads of crosses in...

    The gamble with these players is if they are able to make the step up though.


  25. #24
    Ian Storey-Moore
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,663

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    we must be able to get better than this, surely.


  26. #25
    Matchday Squad
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: Charlie Wyke

    Quote Originally Posted by Statto View Post
    More chance of Charlie Bucket... Or even Charlie Gove...

    Joking aside, this is definitely the kind of player we need to be looking for, someone who is producing at a lower level, right side of 30, and won't cost much, we don't need our strikers running the channels and dropping deeper into midfield, we need them getting in the box and getting on the end of crosses, sticking a boot or a head on them, no-one did that last season even though Kncokaert and Christie put loads of crosses in...

    The gamble with these players is if they are able to make the step up though.
    Agree in principle - while on Football Manager many of us would try and build teams that play the beautiful game Hughton's more the pragmatist/realist and converting the chances created quotient is vital - he doesn't have to be anything but effective. I think we're all agreed that Grabban's not the man to that so makes sense.

    So an indicator of the shape of things to come Very early days but maybe time to gird the loins and admire the efficiency if not the style


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •