Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Viv Anderson

Default Re: Summer 2021 transfer window

Quote Originally Posted by BryanRoy View Post
    Full linked players list so far. Anyone I have missed ?

GK :

RB :
    RCB:
    LCB:
    LB : Josh Ruffels (Oxford)

CM : Kyle Dempsey (Gillingham)

AMF/ATT : Jamie Paterson (Bristol City), Jack Clarke (Tottenham)

CF : Charlie Wyke (Sunderland), Jerry Yates (Blackpool), Stephen Humphrys (Rochdale), Dion Charles (Accrington)
    Assombalonga was tentatively linked in the Athletic the other day.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Heffing Psycho! View Post
    Assombalonga was tentatively linked in the Athletic the other day.
    I think we left in no doubt what the main priority is

But it's so important we get the right one.

We starting to pass it through the thirds better and we have a winger in Mighten willing to be direct and link around the box and with his progression the output will keep improving.

I just felt our CFs never tested CBs.

Grabban has the smarts and technically decent but he lacks sharpness (particularly with his age now) and that mongrel to compete.

Taylor doesn't have what Grabban has but he will always work hard but the problem we seeing is that he is a 31 year-old who had his first good season at Championship level the season before. He just lacks a bit of talent.

What I liked about Charles is he looks to constantly keep CBs busy with his movement off the ball and he has ability on it to be direct. We need more players who can lighten up games by themselves (x-factor) but are smart enough to be able to link play too.

Last edited by BryanRoy; 08-05-21 at 11:16.

Nigel Clough

Looking about League One forums, Jerry Yates seems to be the one who most fans rate the most, out of Charles, Humphreys, Wyke etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by RealRed85 View Post
    Looking about League One forums, Jerry Yates seems to be the one who most fans rate the most, out of Charles, Humphreys, Wyke etc

In many ways Yates stats (+ minimal viewing) give me a younger Grabban feel. Are their doubts he can play up top himself ?

Think Yates, Humphrys and Charles all have upsides.

Last edited by BryanRoy; 08-05-21 at 11:28.

Grenville Morris

I think we left in no doubt what the main priority is
    And it's the right thing to target. We desperately need a reliable striker and another option out wide. Those two things are imperative, everything else nice to have.

.k I m
    I m u mm

Wally Ardron

We need a whole new midfield, wingers, strikers and fullbacks. We're sorted apart from that.

Grenville Morris

I wonder if Harvey Elliott might be given another year in the Championship?

Still very young, only recently turned 18, but has got like 8 goals for Blackburn and 11 assists. Set piece taker too.

Plays as an inside forward from the right - which is a position we need.

Wonder if we'll have a natter in Liverpool's ear and say look what we did for Garner.

Viv Anderson

I think a lot of these young lads back themselves and it would surprise you how much they feel they ready for a higher challenge.

You almost feel like Harvey Elliott will either stay at Liverpool or get a Prem loan or a relegated Prem team with high chances of immediate promotion.

Damn talented.

I reckon the above is my concern for James Garner. He might not want to sit still because he wants to get into the Man Utd team so will think a team further along than us would help that. It might not necessarily be the right decision.

Last edited by BryanRoy; 08-05-21 at 17:53.

Grenville Morris

I think a lot of these young lads back themselves and it would surprise you how much they feel they ready for a higher challenge.

You almost feel like Harvey Elliott will either stay at Liverpool or get a Prem loan or a relegated champ team with high chances of immediate promotion.

Damn talented.

I reckon the above is my concern for James Garner. He might not want to sit still because he wants to get into the Man Utd team so will think a team further along than us would help that. It might not necessarily be the right decision.
    Aye it's a tough one. RE: Garner if there isn't the PL interest (and I genuinely don't think there will be) then it's a case of a rejoin Forest with an almost guaranteed 46 games or join WBA/Sheff Utd/Fulham and potentially get a run out in better sides but not guaranteed.

Think Elliott may get a PL loan as he's done the full season at Blackburn and done well. Garner had a decent six months with us but a crap six months prior - he needs to prove himself more.

Either way, Derby couple of years ago showed that giving chances to young PL players is a decent strategy. They'll be cheap enough and they've got the desire to prove their talents. I was hoping we'd get Foden on loan about 3 years ago for example - but that was perhaps hoping for a little too much.

Last edited by MaxiRobriguez; 08-05-21 at 17:56.

First Team

Elliott should go to the Bundesliga if Liverpool aren't going to use him. The open, high pressing style will suit him.

We ought to be looking at the crop of PL loans that have done well in L1. Either as a good, long term investment on a permanent deal or an opportunity for them to step up a level on loan.

McGuinness (CB) Ipswich/Arsenal
    Ballard (CB) Blackpool/Arsenal
    Simms (CF) Blackpool/Everton
    Rogers (LW) Lincoln/Man City
    O'Riley (CM) MK Dons/Fulham
    Richards (AM) Doncaster/Brighton
    McCormick (CM) Bristol R/Chelsea
    Sanderson (RB/CB) Sunderland/Wolves
    Baxter (GK) Accrington/Chelsea

Viv Anderson

Seeing as we looking for attackers then Morgan Rogers and Taylor Richards will be possible deals to be most excited about.

Considering the attackers we have been linked with are Paterson & Clarke who I would say have no more a guarantee of out-performing both of them.

Obviously balance is to be considered I guess considering Mighten and Johnson's age already though being part of the attacking options in the squad.

First Team

Paterson would be a baffling move. Clarke would be a total punt as well, I'd rather gamble on our own kids.

Viv Anderson

Given what Hughton has supposedly said regarding what he wants to add to the team according to the Athletic: "searing out-and-out pace and a desire to run at people." you'd have to say Patterson doesn't really fit the bill.

Nigel Clough

Given what Hughton has supposedly said regarding what he wants to add to the team according to the Athletic: "searing out-and-out pace and a desire to run at people." you'd have to say Patterson doesn't really fit the bill.
    Harvey Elliott (suggested above) doesn’t either. Lack of pace is what he is missing.

Jack Clarke is supposed to be pretty quick I think.

Viv Anderson

We only have Mighten willing to get in behind. Lyle Taylor at a push but not exactly going to scare defences to drop their line.

It is definitely something we drastically need.

Wally Ardron

Sadly, I remain of the view that Worrall will have to be sold to cover expected operating losses, although I'd love to be proven wrong.

I'm also not convinced there would be much resistance shown to a decent offer for Brennan Johnson.

On potential acquisitions, I'm assuming CH has already asked about taking Garner again and I'd like us to be looking at the likes of Diedhiou and Adam Reach as free agents. A short term deal for Junior Hoilett could be a decent option and of the players relegated today, Dominic Iorfa, Lewis Wing and Kadeem Harris look the pick, Wing and Harris also being out of contract..

There might be a couple of fees paid, but nothing major. Our fans need to accept that a bit of wheeling and dealing is required in order to continue repairing the club's finances, but I'm confident that CH stands a far better chance of success than Modesto ever did.

Nigel Clough

Sheffield Wednesday fans don't rate Reach and Harris at all, in fact the comments I've seen about them on Wednesday forums and such have been absolutely scathing, making comments on here about the likes of Bong and Freeman look tame in comparison. Besides perhaps Bannan, I wouldn't want any player from any of the bottom 4 clubs.

Viv Anderson

Not a bad little L1 list that isn't a loan to the club. They all look to have upside to them. Just thinking midfielders, attackers and forwards.

Flynn Downes - CM - Ipswich
    Cameron Brannagan - CM - Oxford
    Ryan Wintle - CM - Crewe
    Kyle Dempsey - CM - Gillingham
    Scott Twine - AMF/LM - Swindon
    Jack Rudoni AMF/LM - Wimbledon
    Ronan Curtis - ATT - Portsmouth
    Charlie Kirk - ATT - Crewe
    Jerry Yates - CF - Blackpool
    Dion Charles - CF - Accrington
    Stephen Humphrys - CF - Rochdale

Another interesting one but not from League One is Kyle Edwards at WBA. Looks to be leaving on a free and I've been impressed on quite a few ocassions when I saw him. Quick and skillful.

Nigel Clough

Not a bad little L1 list that isn't a loan to the club. They all look to have upside to them. Just thinking midfielders, attackers and forwards.

Flynn Downes - CM - Ipswich
    Cameron Brannagan - CM - Oxford
    Ryan Wintle - CM - Crewe
    Kyle Dempsey - CM - Gillingham
    Scott Twine - AMF/LM - Swindon
    Jack Rudoni AMF/LM - Wimbledon
    Ronan Curtis - ATT - Portsmouth
    Charlie Kirk - ATT - Crewe
    Jerry Yates - CF - Blackpool
    Dion Charles - CF - Accrington
    Stephen Humphrys - CF - Rochdale

Another interesting one but not from League One is Kyle Edwards at WBA. Looks to be leaving on a free and I've been impressed on quite a few ocassions when I saw him. Quick and skillful.
    We've been linked to a few names on that list recently, so I think we are looking for affordable players from League One this summer. I hope we do take a chance on a few of them, I'd much prefer that than our usual tactic of hoovering up Championship has beens anyway.

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    We've been linked to a few names on that list recently, so I think we are looking for affordable players from League One this summer. I hope we do take a chance on a few of them, I'd much prefer that than our usual tactic of hoovering up Championship has beens anyway.
    It's sad but it seems like the older pro that used to be of importance and a regular feature at this level is becoming less and less.

Just thinking on our previous promotions from this division. Guys like David Phillips & Geoff Thomas. Massive contributions.

Balance is definitely order of the day but I'm in no doubt I would favour a squad where the majority are hungry to achieve individual and team success with their best days still to come.

The concern is, is Hughton the man to take us forward with modern thinking. Jury is still out.

Nigel Clough

It's sad but it seems like the older pro that used to be of importance and a regular feature at this level is becoming less and less.

Just thinking on our previous promotions from this division. Guys like David Phillips & Geoff Thomas. Massive contributions.

Balance is definitely order of the day but I'm in no doubt I would favour a squad where the majority are hungry to achieve individual and team success with their best days still to come.

The concern is, is Hughton the man to take us forward with modern thinking. Jury is still out.
    I think the game has changed quite a lot since our promotion under Bassett, it's very much is a young mans game now (where fitness, strength and pace is important) and there are very few good experienced pros in their 30s who would consider coming to a club like Forest, most that come here are here for a last pay day and are no longer capable of delivering at this level.

Clubs like Forest, Derby and Sheffield Wednesday seem to be a bit of a who's who of Championship journeymen, and unsurprisingly all three have struggled this season. Meanwhile, you have clubs like Norwich, Brentford, Swansea and Barnsley who have policies of recruiting young players (from their academies, lower league clubs, abroad or on loan); all of them challenging at the right end of the table and playing good football. None of this is a coincidence IMO.

I think the management situation is secondary to the recruitment one for me, at least for this summer anyway. We could change manager, but the likelihood of getting anyone better is slim, and a new manager may want to give "second chances" to the likes of Bong, Jenkinson, Arter and co; the kinds of players I feel Forest really need to move away from signing. If we get the recruitment right, we'll be a better side next season. If we get it wrong, it barely matters who the manager is as we'll probably be in the same position in 12 months time.

In the long term, Forest need to come up with an identity of their own and recruit players and managers around that, rather than constantly chasing aging ex-Premier League / Championship players on expensive contracts and taking a punt on the managerial merry-go-round every 6-9 months.

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    I think the game has changed quite a lot since our promotion under Bassett, it's very much is a young mans game now (where fitness, strength and pace is important) and there are very few good experienced pros in their 30s who would consider coming to a club like Forest, most that come here are here for a last pay day and are no longer capable of delivering at this level.

Clubs like Forest, Derby and Sheffield Wednesday seem to be a bit of a who's who of Championship journeymen, and unsurprisingly all three have struggled this season. Meanwhile, you have clubs like Norwich, Brentford, Swansea and Barnsley who have policies of recruiting young players (from their academies, lower league clubs, abroad or on loan); all of them challenging at the right end of the table and playing good football. None of this is a coincidence IMO.

I think the management situation is secondary to the recruitment one for me, at least for this summer anyway. We could change manager, but the likelihood of getting anyone better is slim, and a new manager may want to give "second chances" to the likes of Bong, Jenkinson, Arter and co; the kinds of players I feel Forest really need to move away from signing. If we get the recruitment right, we'll be a better side next season. If we get it wrong, it barely matters who the manager is as we'll probably be in the same position in 12 months time.

In the long term, Forest need to come up with an identity of their own and recruit players and managers around that, rather than constantly chasing aging ex-Premier League / Championship players on expensive contracts and taking a punt on the managerial merry-go-round every 6-9 months.
    Thing is, recruitment has been a major downfall but if we really are changing direction as a club, Hughton has shown no signs he can build a young, vibrant and attacking team in his previous jobs. Plus what we've just seen this season. If Hughton is fully behind it and believes this is the right way to go and he backs himself I will give him the chance too but there has to be doubts.

I'm against going from manager to manager but there is no point not committing to something 100% and recruitment needs to be the tools that a coach can work with.

First Team

We could do worse than have a look Corey Blackett-Taylor at tranmere. Blace in buckets.
    23 and not signed a new contract (afaik)

Your palms are holding her neck and thumbs are at her ears regulating the speed of her head as she swallows and then sucks up your machinery. She is topping up your engine oil for the cross-country coming up. Your RPM is hitting a new high. To wait any longer would be to lose prime time... She picks up a Bugatti's momentum. You want her more at a Volkswagen's steady trot. Squeeze the maximum mileage out of your gallon of gas. But she's eating up the road with all cylinders blazing.

Aniruddha Bahal (Bunker 13

Viv Anderson

Morgan Rogers please.

Viv Anderson

CH has a hell of a task if this forum is anything to go by. Literally hundreds of potential signings have been mentioned on here and the poor guy has to boil it down to about 6 at the most.

It's all very well to pluck a name out of the media and say , according to reports, this is the player for us, but is he? Does he fit in with CH's plan, does he want to come here, is he really any good?