Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Ale ape.

Default Re: House Renovations & DIY Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    1 Is it really dangerous to use?
    It depends what you’re doing with it, I suppose.
    I imagine pumping it into your bunghole would be the most dangerous use.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Grenville Morris

Expanding foam is messy as fuck, don't get any on yer skin! It's fine for filling big holes sure but I've just been using Polyfilla One Fill on gaps in plaster which is super easy and workable, for that very purpose.

I've just been using decorator's caulk to fill the many screw holes left behind by the previous occupants.

The Foam Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Hughton,we have a problem View Post
    Get a Romanian in, dirt cheap and you won't have to worry about disposal costs.
    Not many in the trades around here, they must all work at the Amazon warehouse or Sports Direct.

We need our verge pointing on the gable end and can I hell as get anyone to do it, asked five different people now. Two didnít turn up to quote and the other three outright said they didnít want to do it.

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by lard View Post
    No it's not dangerous, You can work it a bit but it's a messy job , It will carry on expanding a little so don't fill the gap all the way only half to 2/3 full.
    Its messy so don't get on your hands or it will stain.
    Expanding foam is really for gaps around pipes etc but will fill in a few gaps. It doesn't go that far and you have to use it all up .

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
    I bought some the other week, I've not used it since I was working on the windows. Bloke in the shop said which type do you want? Didn't even know there were 2 types nowadays, one like the old stuff that expands loads and one that expands probably less than half of that.

Sent from my M2003J15SC using Tapatalk

Viv Anderson

50x volume.

That's the thing to remember.

A pea expanding to 50x is a football.

EXACT SAME BENEFITS

Grenville Morris

Found a few local carpenters on checkatrade who look like they do really good work, Mrs rang all 3, then messaged them... no replies

First Team

Sanded, stained and sealed! Thereís quite a bit of old woodworm and deeply ingrained paint, so the dark stain covers a few sins of the past for us. A shame the floorboards are in such a state, as the 130 year old pine has a beautiful colour to it.

Where did you get your lights from ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grenville Morris

Nan.

First Team

Where did you get your lights from ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Amazon mostly. That awful glass thing in the nursery (not the green room) will be replaced tho

It's all about mid-table...

Get 3k warm white then.
    Might evta do this Hughts, everytime I walk in it's like appearing at the fukin London Palladium

Matchday Squad

I have purchased a can of Everbuild Expanding foam.
    Having never used the stuff before I read the how to use and safety labels on the can, and now can't work up the courage to use the stuff!
    1 Is it really dangerous to use?
    2 If I use it to fill some areas where plaster has come away when I removed old skirtings, does it stay workable for a bit so I can smooth it over with a spatula?
    3 Can I use it indoors?
    Buy yourself one of the pistols and get the cans that fit them, you'll save the cost of the pistol by not throwing away a few half used cans. Plus it's easier to control how much you put in the gaps and as long as you remember to close the valve it will remain useable for ages.

First Team

Todayís jobs: stripping the final bits of gloss off my bannisters, mounting some school clips on some pipe work Iíve decided to leave exposed and taking all the shite out the back to sneak into other folks bins before the binmen come Wednesday.

Thereís a big project at the end of our terrace to turn a former doctors surgery into flats and theyíve had skips outside for months. Wankers have clocked me taking liberties with them and started getting the ones with lids and padlocks. Not very charitable imo.

Grenville Morris

Started looking at flooring for two bedrooms. I was thinking solid oak but now thinking engineered.

Is lacquered or oiled best? Considering it will be the kid's rooms the floor will get heavy use.

Seen a lot of nice looking stuff for £50-60m2.

Viv Anderson

We have a wooden floor in our bedroom - although it's old polished oak floorboard. Looks great but it's a drafty as hell.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    We have a wooden floor in our bedroom - although it's old polished oak floorboard. Looks great but it's a drafty as hell.
    Yeah we have the same, stained pine floorboards. Really luxe feel to it.

You can get little things you press down between the floorboards to stop drafts - you canít see them once theyíre in either, really clever.

Grenville Morris

Got a load of samples through - the darker solid oak ones are amazing but a bit much for a non-master bedroom I think. Be a massive height difference between that and the current laminate as well.

13th Duke of Wybourne

Have a look at Brooks Bros for proper engineered boards.

"Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by adam09 View Post
    Got a load of samples through - the darker solid oak ones are amazing but a bit much for a non-master bedroom I think. Be a massive height difference between that and the current laminate as well.
    The only thing I will add is other than the expenditure floors are just like carpets , After several years you may want to change and your expensive flooring might look dated and out of fashion.
    I have seen countless solid wood floors that now look dated. It's just like tiles in a bathroom or kitchen, These can quickly look shit.
    Personally I have been happy putting down Laminate and after 10 years or so when I have had enough of it I can rip it up and put something else down knowing it hasn't cost me a fortune. Each to there own of course.

Grenville Morris

Quote Originally Posted by OK SpidermAndy! View Post
    Have a look at Brooks Bros for proper engineered boards.
    Looks mint some of that. It's so hard to envisage anything without being able to go and look around a showroom.

Grenville Morris

Quote Originally Posted by lard View Post
    The only thing I will add is other than the expenditure floors are just like carpets , After several years you may want to change and your expensive flooring might look dated and out of fashion.
    I have seen countless solid wood floors that now look dated. It's just like tiles in a bathroom or kitchen, These can quickly look shit.
    Personally I have been happy putting down Laminate and after 10 years or so when I have had enough of it I can rip it up and put something else down knowing it hasn't cost me a fortune. Each to there own of course.
    Is that grey? That looks very similar to what we have in the master bedroom and 4th bedroom/office.

I like it but the previous occupant has also painted the door frame, window sill, skirts and shelves slate grey and the wall a lighter grey. Plus put a anthracite radiator in and metallic silver blinds. It's a bit tooooo much Grey is very much in fashion at the minute.

One thing at a time though...

Senior doom Monger

Started looking at flooring for two bedrooms. I was thinking solid oak but now thinking engineered.

Is lacquered or oiled best? Considering it will be the kid's rooms the floor will get heavy use.

Seen a lot of nice looking stuff for £50-60m2.
    We have laid engineered oak with a laquered finish to the bedrooms and landing.
    We bought from UK Flooring.
    The design is called Galleria, and the boards are 14mm thick by 190mm across.
    Packs include boards in 4 different lengths and all ar tongued and grooved.
    It cost us £37 per sq. m., including free delivery.
    A mate warned me off using solid oak because according to him it is inclined to warp
    Don't be caught out buying glues, puller kits, spacer kits and knocking blocks from the flooring seller - the wood glue is D4 pva and is much cheaper bought locally.
    I would recommend buying the doorway strips and ramp strips though - they are expensive but are made to fit your floor and are properly finished solid oak.
    Oh, and their silver underlay is also good value.
    Make sure you order everything in one go, as their delivery costs for small loadds are a tad pricey.

Senior doom Monger

Here is a photo of the landing.
    Still to fill the skirting gaps (wavy walls!) and we are changing the shite sapele doors.

Flooring by Captain Sinister, on Flickr

Banned

Is that grey? That looks very similar to what we have in the master bedroom and 4th bedroom/office.

I like it but the previous occupant has also painted the door frame, window sill, skirts and shelves slate grey and the wall a lighter grey. Plus put a anthracite radiator in and metallic silver blinds. It's a bit tooooo much Grey is very much in fashion at the minute.

One thing at a time though...
    Yes it is

Grenville Morris

We have laid engineered oak with a laquered finish to the bedrooms and landing.
    We bought from UK Flooring.
    The design is called Galleria, and the boards are 14mm thick by 190mm across.
    Packs include boards in 4 different lengths and all ar tongued and grooved.
    It cost us £37 per sq. m., including free delivery.
    A mate warned me off using solid oak because according to him it is inclined to warp
    Don't be caught out buying glues, puller kits, spacer kits and knocking blocks from the flooring seller - the wood glue is D4 pva and is much cheaper bought locally.
    I would recommend buying the doorway strips and ramp strips though - they are expensive but are made to fit your floor and are properly finished solid oak.
    Oh, and their silver underlay is also good value.
    Make sure you order everything in one go, as their delivery costs for small loadds are a tad pricey.
    I think I may have ordered some samples from them. Good to have a first hand account of them though. Definitely the sort of thing we want, but a touch darker.