Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Billy Davies Appreciation Thread

Default The Billy Davies Appreciation Thread

He's back in the main threads again And no, I didn't bring him up.

But it has got me thinking, I think LTLF has actually been uncharacteristically unfair on folk who like or who want to talk about Davies and/or his time with us. I get folk hate & are sick of him for whatever reason, that doesn't mean posters who aren't should be silenced every time his name is bought up.

So, I think it's having a thread where folk can choose to discuss him makes sense. Keep the subject away from all the main threads, when it crops up here's the place to go, but also be fair on the posters who have fond memories or him & his time here & give them somewhere to gab.

So this thread is about Billy Davies. If you come to this thread expecting to not read about him, and wind yourself up because posters are posting about him in a thread that's for him, you're only doing that to yourself and that's not the fault of anyone else.

ALL HAIL KING BILLY!!!

Last edited by Alf-engelos Mindminackers; 21-01-21 at 11:04.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Forever, My Lady

Default Re: The Billy Davies Appriciation Thread

Fair enough. But there should be a rule that all posts be written in Comic Sans.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Fair enough. But there should be a rule that all posts be written in Comic Sans.
    I second the notion

Billy's first spell in charge of the club was the most enjoyable of the last 20 years. Should never have binned him for McClaren.

Its a shame how things panned out for his career after that. Back in the day, he was a genuinely great manager at this level.

So to kick off, the one thing which absolutely amazes me on the internet, and has done for years, is the fact that people can't see why others still have some fondness for him. Almost everyone I used to speak to pre/post match was fairy positive about Billy.

Yeah the rumours of all the shit during the MKII era are bad, but even if all that's true it doesn't eradicate 2 years going to home games knowing you were getting:

1) good football
    2) points 99% of the time
    3) a team which gave it's all almost every match
    4) a sense of "us against them"

I moved to Nottingham just as I turned 20, and spent many a year as an ST holder until more recently. I can honestly say that the highlights of a mostly dismal 20 odd years has been Hart's season, and the 2 Davies seasons.

This is where I find some internet opinions baffling. I'm a fan, not an owner, nor a player, nor a member of staff. I don't want to see issues at the club, I don't like when they occur, but ultimately the majority of the past 20-25 years have seen me go to the (now closed) then-local, have a few bevvies, have a laugh with the lads, jump in the motor, go to the match, chant away, and head for a few more slurps after on an upper or downer depending on the result. So my main focus was always more on that slice of Saturday thrive, than it was the drama at the club.

Without a shadow of a doubt, the best period I had for doing that was 2 years under Davies. As a home supporter it was fucking amazing. I'd gone from enduring seasons under folk like Platt & Megson, where we'd often get bladski pre-match to ensure we'd forget it all after (always regret doing that for our 5-0 thrashing of Burnley though), to actually staying half sober for 2 years because we could actually enjoy what was happening on the pitch.

Sometimes it feels on here, as if folk just want us to be miserable

Is there really any harm in revelling in the 5-0 thrashing of West Ham? THe 4-2 comeback against Watford? The counter-attacking masterclass of beating the dippers 2-0 away? All results in the alleged "disasterous" MKII season btw.

Even writing this post has blossomed some inner joy. All some of us want are good times.

Last edited by Alf-engelos Mindminackers; 21-01-21 at 11:26.

Where I will stick up for Billy is that in the past 21 years, apart from his time we have only threatened promotion/playoffs
    1. very briefly in Pl*tt's second season
    2. one season under Paul Hart
    3. a few weeks under Karanka
    4. one season under Lamouchi

We can bang on about the off-field stuff as much as we like, but we throw the baby out with the bathwater if we are not willing to understand the impact on the football results of the club Davies had. What can the club and other managers learn from this?

We got promoted under Colin Calderwood. Billy never managed to get us promoted.

Therefore CC > BD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your palms are holding her neck and thumbs are at her ears regulating the speed of her head as she swallows and then sucks up your machinery. She is topping up your engine oil for the cross-country coming up. Your RPM is hitting a new high. To wait any longer would be to lose prime time... She picks up a Bugatti's momentum. You want her more at a Volkswagen's steady trot. Squeeze the maximum mileage out of your gallon of gas. But she's eating up the road with all cylinders blazing.

Aniruddha Bahal (Bunker 13

No longer unnervingly close to Anatoli's house

You've spelled Apprickiation wrong.

Massive Member

Pol pot never created a team that's recorded as the worst team in history.

Pol >> Billy

Upper Decker

I rate Sabri above Davies.

Sure Davies achieved 2 more games (limp defeats) in a season, but he needed massive spending on transfers and a large wage bill to do it. Sabri achieved more points per pound, even though like Davies his reign ended in abject failure.

Plus Sabri didn't wreck the club from the inside and put us into a transfer embargo, or lose 5-0 to Derby, and he isn't a ****.

So Sabri was a better manager for us because he achieved about the same with much less and isn't a club wrecking ****.

Davies is a shit lower league version of Harry Redknapp.

Last edited by Ravi; 21-01-21 at 12:00.
    Stand Firm And Strike Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    I rate Sabri above Davies.

Sure Davies achieved 2 more games (limp defeats) in a season, but he needed massive spending on transfers and a large wage bill to do it. Sabri achieved more points per pound, even though like Davies his reign ended in abject failure.

Plus Sabri didn't wreck the club from the inside and put us into a transfer embargo, or lose 5-0 to Derby, and he isn't a ****.

So Sabri was a better manager for us because he achieved about the same with much less and isn't a club wrecking ****.

Davies is a shit lower league version of Harry Redknapp.
    Tbh mate, I can totally see that POV. Had Sab actually made the playoffs, I'd probably agree.

The only downer with Sab was that it was a fucking bind at times watching the home games. Even when we won, it sometimes felt a slog. That said, his name alone was as chantable as I can recall us having for a long time.

But again, I liked both. I just put both down, alongside Hart, as folk who gave me some good times, and more good than bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Wolfgang Schnell BSc. PhD. View Post
    You've spelled Apprickiation wrong.
    Mods this needs to happen please?

Upper Decker

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    Tbh mate, I can totally see that POV. Had Sab actually made the playoffs, I'd probably agree.

The only downer with Sab was that it was a fucking bind at times watching the home games. Even when we won, it sometimes felt a slog. That said, his name alone was as chantable as I can recall us having for a long time.

But again, I liked both. I just put both down, alongside Hart, as folk who gave me some good times, and more good than bad.
    You have a point about the quality of football, although I would also suggest that time has dimmed the memory of the most of the ground out 1-0 home wins and turgid away displays under Davies.

Forever, My Lady

I see people are not adhering to the rules

I see people are not adhering to the rules
    Disgraceful isn't it. NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR NOTTINGHAM FOREST.

oopsy daisy!

Default Re: The Billy Davies Apprickiation Thread

We do not - despite what some posters would have you believe - practice censorship or try to steer a topic direction on this forum.

But if we did not only would I lock this thread I would banish it to the furthestmost, darkest corner of the moderator dungeon, locked in a sealed box with an ureadable security lock so that it, and the topic in discussion never ever darkens our forum again.

Forever, My Lady

It's a very very old debate that's been done to death, and one that literally no-one has anything new or insightful to bring to.

He had two good cracks at Forest. But he's gone, and isn't coming back.

You know people accuse us of living in the past because we constantly reference the two European Cups we won forty years ago, but I'd argue this thread is a far more egregious example of living in the past.

Now that we've used the word egregious I suggest we close the thread before Vital spot it and accuse us of being inspired by Susie Dent (In, by the way).

Massive Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    Now that we've used the word egregious I suggest we close the thread before Vital spot it and accuse us of being inspired by Susie Dent (In, by the way).
    Post is useless without pictures

Warp Speed Chic

I prefer to stay away from the in or not thing but Susie Dent is a dream woman to me.

All that intelligence and sass. Blimey. What a woman.

Massive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    I prefer to stay away from the in or not thing but Susie Dent is a dream woman to me.

All that intelligence and sass. Blimey. What a woman.
    I'm a huge admirer. Beautiful, intelligent, interesting, funny and every other descriptive word to say perfect.

I feel another sponsored silence is in order.

Default The Billy Davies Apprickiation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    We do not - despite what some posters would have you believe - practice censorship or try to steer a topic direction on this forum.

But if we did not only would I lock this thread I would banish it to the furthestmost, darkest corner of the moderator dungeon, locked in a sealed box with an ureadable security lock so that it, and the topic in discussion never ever darkens our forum again.
    Yes you do censor - I am party to that. Need j remind you I had a thread taken down , the kind of thread that has taken place on here forever, they are as much part of the place as squirrels or the Leeds score.
    But because one mod didn’t think it was funny it was taken down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hughton,we have a problem; 22-01-21 at 19:25.

I wish someone would censor BD completely from this forum.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Massive Member

Looks like this is going as well as predicted