Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shane Duffy

Matchday Squad
    Nottingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Default Re: Shane Duffy

If this is true, it’s the epitome of everything that is wrong with our recruitment.

Selling another quality academy graduate to sign more premier league reject dross looking for a last payday.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Matchday Squad

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    What if we've already spent it?
    I said this a while ago, perhaps it has been spent on McKenna and Soh

It's all about mid-table...

And wages.

Youth Team

Even if Worrall is off, I don't understand the need for another centre half on a short term deal, we already have 4 at the club, 3 of which have proven largely capable all season. Spending unnecessarily large amount of money for the sake of it.

Massive Member

So does everyone want CH to get his own players in or not? Sigmund Freud would have a job on working forest fans out.

Matchday Squad

Id be amazed if true. Looks like that classic phrase, lazy journalism.

Nigel Clough

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    So does everyone want CH to get his own players in or not? Sigmund Freud would have a job on working forest fans out.
    Not at the expense of a player like Joe, thank you very much.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Massive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Furtull View Post
    Not at the expense of a player like Joe, thank you very much.

I don't think it's done purposely for that. If Worral is sold its because his price has been met and he's happy to go, not being hoofed out in favour of Duffy.

Last edited by Carlos; 14-01-21 at 12:17.

Viv Anderson

I have no idea if this is happening or if Duffy would be good for us under CH's coaching. But the response to the rumour tells you much about fans...

It would be sad to lose Worrall, but anyone who thinks the purpose of our academy is not to produce sellable assets is living in pretend land.

And Celtic, as a Club, is a higher standard than Forest in the hear and now. Thinking otherwise is another delusion.

EXACT SAME BENEFITS

Viv Anderson

Spot on. People want the manager to be responsible for signings as long he only brings in players they want to see brought in.

In fairness to yourself Carlos, you're one of the few on here who can genuinely complain about us potentiallysigning this bloke because you've been consistent with your standpoint regarding Hughton.

As for Worrall, just as with Cash and Osborn, as soon as the prospect of PL football and wages appear, it's all about getting the best deal possible - anything over £5m I suspect in Joe's case.

Nigel Clough

I don't think it's done purposely for that. If Worral is sold its because his price has been met and he's happy to go, not being hoofed out in favour of Duffy.
    And that's why we'll still be in division 2 forever more.

Massive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    Spot on. People want the manager to be responsible for signings as long he only brings in players they want to see brought in.

In fairness to yourself Carlos, you're one of the few on here who can genuinely complain about us potentiallysigning this bloke because you've been consistent with your standpoint regarding Hughton.

As for Worrall, just as with Cash and Osborn, as soon as the prospect of PL football and wages appear, it's all about getting the best deal possible - anything over £5m I suspect in Joe's case.
    Cheers Otis. I've conceded that Hughton is here now and to stick with him to get his own players in, Duffy is clearly one such player so it's sticking to that plan.

Viv Anderson

Dp

A. Trialist

I think most people get that players will be sold at the right price. cash deal was a fantastic one and in fairness forest have got great prices for all the academy players they have sold. The problem is then replacing them or using the money affectively. I would argue we haven't done that very well. i would also maintain buying duffy is another poor step. a player who is past his best and would be on a big contract.

I am all in favour of the manager having a say in transfers but as we say they just tend to go back to players they know. hence why all clubs now have a structure of others who scout and recommend. the problem at forest isn't that structure it is possibly the people involved in it.

My big concern with Houghton is will he develop players through the academy and look at lower league players. I am not sure he will. if he doesn't then that academy cash cow will soon dry up.

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by redreni View Post
    My big concern with Houghton is will he develop players through the academy and look at lower league players. I am not sure he will. if he doesn't then that academy cash cow will soon dry up.

The manager's name is Hughton.

Last edited by Otis Redd'un; 14-01-21 at 12:43.

Massive Member

Also if you sell a player that is prem level such as cash, chances are you won't be able to sign a Prem level replacement, as they will be playing in the Prem.

Up-Front

Cheers Otis. I've conceded that Hughton is here now and to stick with him to get his own players in, Duffy is clearly one such player so it's sticking to that plan.
    Its universally acknowledged Duffys been wank at Celtic. Does highlighting this automatically mean we're going against Hughtons as a potential recruiter? I dont think so.

Ridiculous that folk cant make objective observations without being branded inconsistent. There is a bigger picture.

Impressive member

Paul Taylor denies this one.

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

Massive Member

What can championship teams do when signing a player they are either:

-ex prem players on the decline and getting older

-the very few players whos ability plateaus at the 2nd tier like Grabban.

-players on the way up (which usually cost a lot) like Assombalonga at the time

-cheap piss in the wind signings that may work or not.

Its not as simple as "make quality signings"

Massive Member

Probably also need to factor in that at this moment in time, the majority of clubs are skint.

Youth Team

For me it's not really down to who brings in a player or not but what is the overall long-term strategy for the club? We have four youngish centre-halves with various levels of potential but it's not impossible that all four could end up playing at a higher level, some higher than others. When one of them is sold and you potentially have some money to spend, you have to look at where the gaps in the squad are where that should be reinvested and what are short, medium and long term plans? The centre halves we have, we are well stocked for the medium-long term and even without Worrall, have enough quality and depth that should get us to the end of this season.

It doesn't appear that we're going anywhere this season, and whilst we're far from good I feel it'd be a huge failure of players and management for this squad to get relegated from the current position, so I'm not sure there's a justifiable reason for any short-term signings to be made at all, with any investment we do make being focused on addressing more obvious quality gaps and the next 1-3 seasons. If the manager/owners/scouts etc. think Shane Duffy is a required signing then fair enough, but personally I'd be lacking any faith that they're capable of learning lessons and driving us forwards.

Gaff Lad

I remember Wozza, allegedly, being wank at Rangers.

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Cortez the Killer View Post
    Paul Taylor denies this one.

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk
    Well, thank fuck for that because he's clearly and well below our ambitions of winning the Champions League in 2021.

oopsy daisy!

Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post

If Worralls got to go to reinforce the team, we still look well stocked, Id be inclined to give Mbe Soh a chance.
    You would, I would, I suspect half the forum would but unfortunately (for us) we're not the one's making the decision and Hughton seems to have made his position pretty clear as to where Soh is in the pecking order and signing Duffy will simply reinforce that.

Matchday Squad

Also if you sell a player that is prem level such as cash, chances are you won't be able to sign a Prem level replacement, as they will be playing in the Prem.
    Agreed, but please, why cannot we expect that we will sign someone with the potential to get there?