Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: General Recruitment Thread

Senior doom Monger

Default Re: General Recruitment Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MXJ View Post
    Another long read article on the athletic about Modesto & co and their recruitment efforts. Not great reading, tbh. Our long list included such achievable targets as Kalvin Phillips, Alex Tuanzebe, Stuart Dallas and Kyle Walker-Peters.
    No mention though of how Modesto will be able to recruit potential talent from overseas junior leagues with the advent of post-Brexit transfer requirements that the government has passed.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    No mention though of how Modesto will be able to recruit potential talent from overseas junior leagues with the advent of post-Brexit transfer requirements that the government has passed.
    By the look of him, with sweets, puppies & a Fix-it badge.

oopsy daisy!

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post

I'm sticking to posting silly pics and telling people what they want to hear from now on.
    Let's have that recorded where we can refer to it.

Red til I'm dead

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    Bingo! Full house!

If only I'd have said something about recruitment last year
    Ok spiderman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    GBE has opened up markets as well as closed them. I imagine you’ll see us push into south and Central America, as well as African nations for players with sufficient caps.

GBE has opened up markets as well as closed them. I imagine you’ll see us push into south and Central America, as well as African nations for players with sufficient caps.
    Although the mere prospect of tapping into those markets will no doubt alarm a few regulars on here, South America and Africa have so much potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcher View Post
    Good thread.

Our recruitment has lacked any kind of evident strategy, consistency or identity. I'm sure it's unanimous that it's been a scattergun approach.

It's this identity that I perceive to be one of the root problems. The club have to decide what brand of football they want to adopt and how they want us to try and achieve success in terms of our philosophy. Only then can we start properly identifying what type of player we want to bring into the club. What's key to this is actually sticking by the playing identity long term and bringing Managers in to suit this identity and the recruitment policy which comes from it.

For years now we have seen managers/coaches with contrasting playing styles and this doesn't just add to our bomb squad because the previous managers preferred players end up out of favour, it also hinders the progression of Academy players.

I've got no doubt that the Academy remains true to their philosophy and the club now need to ensure this runs through the club like a DNA. Young players who are ready or should be progressing into the first team will find the transition more successful if they are playing in a way which they are used to whilst in the Academy.

This club DNA or identity is absolutely key to continuing success of Academy to first team and to ensure future senior first team purchases are better suited which should reduce player turnover and prevent having a bloated squad.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    I don't disagree. But if we change owners every few years, change managers every year and change players every transfer window, who is it that we're expecting to guard and maintain that DNA

These regions are scouted intensely by much larger fish in the pond. We have been trying unsuccessfully to tap into those markets for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Malwood View Post
    I don't disagree. But if we change owners every few years, change managers every year and change players every transfer window, who is it that we're expecting to guard and maintain that DNA
    Gary Brazil would be my man without a shadow of a doubt the most important and successful person at the club. He's used to implementing long term football strategy and philosophy and identification of players. He's also the least likely to leave his position and he genuinely cares about Forest.

He's the man I'd entrust it all to.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Long term strategy is the thing. It's getting a transferable ethos through the teams and club no matter who the manager is. Recruitment of the players and managers will be carried out with that in mind.
    Brentford have tried it for years. They use fairly sophisticated statistics to help source players. They secure players from the lower leagues who fit the bill (or who should fit the bill with time), with the right price and the right age. This should ensure they get a profit when they sell.

This is one club who has seemingly gone to extremes to get continuity; candidates for manager have to show they can buy into the philosophy.
    Brentford have to sell players but are successful in feeding new players into the system. Brentford are not a big club. without a touch of luck and promotion, they are destined to stay in the Championship at best.

Now, we are a relatively much bigger club than Brentford. We've had brilliant players in the past but haven't had managers with the time or the skills to get us up.

Up-Front

I think we've ticked the continuity of approach box post Warburton, all managers who've favoured pragmatism over flair. Interesting then that the same people who promote stability at the club moan like fuck about the aesthetics of it all.

Ultimately the failure has been with recruitment, we've established an MO, we just dont seem capable of staffing it properly.

If we take last summers window in isolation we got some really good players and quite cheaply and made a profit. However the problem with recruitment is timing, strategy and a couple of poor internal transfer policy’s they’ve had.

Timing - We dong back managers at the correct time. Lamouchi should have been backed in January and well. Instead they backed him at a time where the clubs atmosphere was demoralised. Also if Lamouchi picked those players in January than he probably should have gone then but the flub understood the fans were pining for stability. They also employ managers who are not suited the squad and buy the right players at wrong times. The club have struggled immensely to get to a situation where a manager is happy with his squad.

Strategy - Absolute basics of squad building 2 players for each position. Not 4 not 1 but 2, the club have always managed to leave themselves either short or overstocked. How can you have a window and sign 14 players and only end up with one number 10 and 7 full backs? Also why are we signing backup strikers with a horrendous scoring record like Guerrero when we could try and develop a youth prospect in swan? It’s just thinks like that that make little sense. We have 2 quality stickers and we only play one up front we could easily have Swan instead of Guerrero and been done squad wise. So their is general lack of strategy and foresight.
    Transfer Policy - the policy to raid Mendes and Olypiakos have not been proved fruitful at all. If you keep these policy’s in place that don’t work than you need to check your head. Granted the Mendes link has ended which is positive however the club have to bite the bullet at some stage and question those policy’s. If Forest ended with Foutunis which will never happen than that will change my opinion on our relationship with Oly but at the moment it’s not been too clever.

People always say I’m negative buys it’s because at Forest it’s mostly been negative but I am going to give some balance. So some positives are

- although last window was strategically haphazard we did sign some great individual quality. How can you knock the signings of Taylor, Knockaert, Freeman, McKenna, Soh!

- They have needed their transfer policy with Mendes which is a positive. It’s a shame it didn’t work out and it was definetly worth a try especially what happened to Wolves but we just didn’t get the A package which was unfortunate.

- Hughton has made a lot of noises about having a final say on transfers which is great to be honest. A well run football club has a good scouting network and football directors who broaden the opportunities of managers when they go to sign players. No one should be unhappy with people at the club recommending signings the more the merrier. Even if Maranakis wants to to offer Oly players that’s fine but as long as they are persistent with it like Maranakis was with Guerrero than it’s all good.
    - Modesto has done very well at Oly and he can be asset if used correctly. His knowledge of French lower leagues has been lauded that’s great. Can Forest gain from that knowledge and does Oly always get first dibs?

- We have 2 extremely good forwards

Quote Originally Posted by Malwood View Post
    Amen to that the heart of the problem right there - I've no problem with a list of 70 potential signings - more of an issue if the list of strikers for instance includes big target men and nippy poachers and people inbetween - what are the skills we require for the way we're playing.

No point in having a hefty static target man if you're playing swift counter attacking football through the middle, whereas playing higher up the pitch and going wide to good crossers of the ball then great that's exactly what you need.

Problem for fans like us is that we're here for the long haul and have a vision of how we want to play that's not shared by whatever bunch are in charge this month and they haven't had the luxury of time, permission or funds to build a complete squad.

Alf so often names really good players from the lower leagues who could rightly do a job (big fan of Ben Whiteman) but those selections are at odds with whatever the flavour of the day is.

I thought there were some really good points n another thread about Appleton at Lincoln who had a torrid time with the fans last season as he transitioned from the Cowleys' squad to one that was built in his image 16th last season, top of the table now.

We can only hope that that's what Hughton's doing - would be nice to getting more info out the club about Hughton's vision.

Last edited by HBB; 14-01-21 at 12:44.

I think we should change our recruitment team with the Brentford team. I see that they have brought in a Iranian striker and you already know he will be a success.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye1947 View Post
    I think we should change our recruitment team with the Brentford team. I see that they have brought in a Iranian striker and you already know he will be a success.
    "Iranian sub sinks Forest" is a headline I'm looking forward to later this season.