Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alex Mowatt

Viv Anderson

Default Re: Alex Mowatt

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Hourihane was a much more aggressive player though, as anyone who recalls him running the midfield in games against Forest will tell you.

I never saw Arter doing that, different kind of player.

Hourihane, or the way he plays the game, is the kind of player Forest should be looking at.
    I've seen both running games in midfield to be fair but you said it yourself "was a much more aggressive player", no idea if he still is, he's only played the equivalent of 24 games in the last 2 seasons.

Don't get me wrong if Hughton wanted him that's fine by me but my original point was the same people getting excited about him would be the same slagging him and undoubtedly the recruitment off on Twitter after 5 games if he isn't the same player.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Forest ash View Post
    Iíd have Conor Hourihane over Fouad Bachirou everyday day of the week

WHOOOOOOOO?
    I know that Hourihane is a very good set-piece-taker, but I've no idea if he, or Bachirou for that matter, can address the chronic lack of dynamism and ball retention in our midfield?

Viv Anderson

......let alone the dire absence of creativity?

Up-Front

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Hourihane was a much more aggressive player though, as anyone who recalls him running the midfield in games against Forest will tell you.

I never saw Arter doing that, different kind of player.

Hourihane, or the way he plays the game, is the kind of player Forest should be looking at.
    Totally agree on Hourihane, similar MO at our place with Barnsley & Villa. Proactive player who drags things out of himself & those around him. Tore strips of anyone who fucked up.

Dont think their too dissimilar as players, but for an experienced head, Arter does appear to be very passive in games.

Hourihane is armband material.

Ian Storey-Moore

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    I know that Hourihane is a very good set-piece-taker, but I've no idea if he, or Bachirou for that matter, can address the chronic lack of dynamism and ball retention in our midfield?
    Given our recent utter dire history of signing players Iíd wager that a seasoned championship pro would have more of a bearing on things

Wally Ardron

Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    Totally agree on Hourihane, similar MO at our place with Barnsley & Villa. Proactive player who drags things out of himself & those around him. Tore strips of anyone who fucked up.

Dont think their too dissimilar as players, but for an experienced head, Arter does appear to be very passive in games.

Hourihane is armband material.
    Are we set on rebuilding the former Ireland team.
    Next on the list must surely be James McClean.

Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheRed View Post
    Alf, you are speculating over something you nor I have any knowledge over. We don't know who signed what players. Taking your example of Eddie, who was 'forced' on Sabri. We hear one story saying that SL was impressed with him in the preseason game against Oly and wanted to bring him in, if you believe another story EM asked SL twice to take him and the third time he accepted. Which is the truth?

Likewise, if you take what is written as gospel, Samba is a Modesto signing. So there you go, Samba was dropped in to the side and voted the best keeper in the league last season.
    I love how Samba, the 1 decent signing in around 30 meh/shit ones, is used like that

Nigel Clough

You asked for one, you got one. McKenna has long been a target of Forest's, so you'd assume someone other than the manager has had a hand in that one. Riberio has been a good signing, dropped straight in with no prior experience in the league and done well. Samba Sow was signed for peanuts and proved to be a difference maker in terms of results when fit. Thiago Silva was signed for relatively little money and was a good player for us. There's four more for you.

I don't pretend to know the exact ins and outs of recruitment up and down football, but Hughton in that latest Athletic article said it himself. The modern way of working is with guys like Modesto and now Brazil identifying players, but you still get times a coach has a lead on a player who may be available.

You asked for one, you got one. McKenna has long been a target of Forest's, so you'd assume someone other than the manager has had a hand in that one. Riberio has been a good signing, dropped straight in with no prior experience in the league and done well. Samba Sow was signed for peanuts and proved to be a difference maker in terms of results when fit. Thiago Silva was signed for relatively little money and was a good player for us. There's four more for you.

I don't pretend to know the exact ins and outs of recruitment up and down football, but Hughton in that latest Athletic article said it himself. The modern way of working is with guys like Modesto and now Brazil identifying players, but you still get times a coach has a lead on a player who may be available.
    Those 4 were average at best, and Lamouchi's system made them look good. Overall, Modesto has signed far more crap than good.

People speculating on an internet forum about football, in the transfer section about a speculative transfer. Well fancy that.

Give me a shout when this modern way starts working for us. Then I'll start to believe in it. So far the only playoff finishes we've seen have been academy or manager based, and recruitment/top brass have let both down both times, just like it did last year.

First Team

Actually HP, I'd suggest that there are people not too far from here who share that stance.
    Yep, me.

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by It's Baggio View Post
    Yep, me.
    If you've convinced yourself that only players that you suggest should be signed, well fair enough, it's your prerogative.

Last edited by Otis Redd'un; 15-01-21 at 17:55.

Massive Member

*snore emoji*

Viv Anderson

I can only apologise for having that effect.

Massive Member

I can only apologise for having that effect.
    Oh it wasn't an attack at anyone in particular Otis. I just fancied seeing if anyone had posted more information about the player himself rather than Modesto and the like.

:Cheers:

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Oh it wasn't an attack at anyone in particular Otis. I just fancied seeing if anyone had posted more information about the player himself rather than Modesto and the like.

:Cheers:
    I suppose we should be thankful that at least it hasn't digressed to something other than football Carlos.

Nigel Clough

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    Those 4 were average at best, and Lamouchi's system made them look good. Overall, Modesto has signed far more crap than good.

People speculating on an internet forum about football, in the transfer section about a speculative transfer. Well fancy that.

Give me a shout when this modern way starts working for us. Then I'll start to believe in it. So far the only playoff finishes we've seen have been academy or manager based, and recruitment/top brass have let both down both times, just like it did last year.
    I initially wrote a long post, but I deleted it because to be honest, it wears me down coming in here.

Those three players signed were integral to a side that finished 7th. I will take that 'average' costing around £2m every day of the week.
    The whole point of systems is to put players in a position to be successful. That's the whole point.
    You aren't speculating on transfers, it is just a vacuum of you repeating a narrative.
    It isn't the 'modern way'. It is the way clubs operate these days. You are arguing against the way modern football is done, it isn't a unique way to Nottingham Forest.

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post

I know I'm going to regret asking you this Alf, but where do you stand on Modesto competing the recruitment process of players recommended by the-then Head Coach (last January - Diakhabi and Da Costa; last summer - Freeman, Taylor, Bachirou, Arter and Guerrero)?

Impressive member

Quote Originally Posted by Heffing Psycho! View Post
    Yeah it might mean that, probably does but surely it should say that if it means that, it's quite an important distinction.
    Yes, you'd think a journalist would have been more specific. Perhaps he has, and it is deliberately contradictory and ambiguous. A lot of sports journos don't like to be too precise, in case they are later discredited.

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

Impressive member

I initially wrote a long post, but I deleted it because to be honest, it wears me down coming in here.

Those three players signed were integral to a side that finished 7th. I will take that 'average' costing around £2m every day of the week.
    The whole point of systems is to put players in a position to be successful. That's the whole point.
    You aren't speculating on transfers, it is just a vacuum of you repeating a narrative.
    It isn't the 'modern way'. It is the way clubs operate these days. You are arguing against the way modern football is done, it isn't a unique way to Nottingham Forest.
    I don't think the scant few successes are the focus, Gandalf, it's that we probably sign 5 or 6 players who are misses for every one that's a hit. So we're successively bloating the bomb squad (even as players leave by seeing out their contract) by adding quantity instead of quality. This has been said for many years. I guess it's the way we operate because of the lack of parachute payments, but there are examples of teams - Leeds, Brentford, Sheff Utd, etc - who have proved it's possible to do it a different way.

Upper Decker

Quote Originally Posted by Cortez the Killer View Post
    I don't think the scant few successes are the focus, Gandalf, it's that we probably sign 5 or 6 players who are misses for every one that's a hit. So we're successively bloating the bomb squad (even as players leave by seeing out their contract) by adding quantity instead of quality. This has been said for many years. I guess it's the way we operate because of the lack of parachute payments, but there are examples of teams - Leeds, Brentford, Sheff Utd, etc - who have proved it's possible to do it a different way.

Ignoring Leeds being a bigger club who were able to attract and afford one of the best coaches in the world, the "different way" is:

Leeds - appointed a top class coach.
    Sheff U - excellent manager who was able to get the most of of players who'd been a 'miss' elsewhere.
    Brentford - a different way. Scrapped their academy, sign foreign players based on numbers and sell a few every season to balance the books. A relative success.

So appointing a good manager seems key. Unless you go the moneyball route and stick to it for 5 years.

What about other clubs of a similar current size to Forest - Derby, Sheff Wed, Bristol C, Birmingham. How are they faring with the whole trying to maximise limited funds whilst being competitive thing?

Last edited by Ravi; 15-01-21 at 19:51.
    THE TRUTH IS THERE AND WITH IT I GO TO THE END OF THE WORLD .

Massive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    Ignoring Leeds being a bigger club who were able to attract and afford one of the best coaches in the world, the "different way" is:

Leeds - appointed a top class coach.
    Sheff U - excellent manager who was able to get the most of of players who'd been a 'miss' elsewhere.
    Brentford - a different way. Scrapped their academy, sign foreign players based on numbers and sell a few every season to balance the books. A relative success.

So appointing a good manager seems key. Unless you go the moneyball route and stick to it for 5 years.

What about other clubs of a similar current size to Forest - Derby, Sheff Wed, Bristol C, Birmingham. How are they faring with the whole trying to maximise limited funds whilst being competitive thing?
    Also key to note that Brentford for all of their praise, are still yet to be promoted.

Nigel Clough

Has he singed yet? I love reading about players we're linked with in the media, those we're 'keeping an eye on' presumably to see where they actually end up.
    Halfway through Jan and the only positive is I haven't had a drink.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Nigel Clough

If that's a positive.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Ian Storey-Moore

If only we had signed John McGinn

Nigel Clough

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Furtull View Post
    Has he singed yet?