Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: FA Cup 4th and 5th Round Draw

The Foam Hand

Default Re: FA Cup 4th and 5th Round Draw

Quote Originally Posted by Berkshire Red View Post
    Interesting. I grew up in West Bridgford, we'd always talk abut going into town.

"Notts" was either the other football team or the cricket team.
    Probably a shortened regional slang thing. We always referred to Nottingham as Notts, especially when we were younger.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Have they announced the tv coverage yet, I wanna cancel my BT Sport lol

Quote Originally Posted by Statto View Post
    Have they announced the tv coverage yet, I wanna cancel my BT Sport lol
    It's on BBC1 Wales.

Yes and also BT Sport 4 I think, on Sat 3pm

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    Bloody lazy and unprofessional from the BBC! If they want to abbreviate, then Nott'm would suffice.
    As a former BBC and Sky journo I can assure you that any mistake was a cock-up by a junior staffer.

The BBC and Sky style guides in this instance both take their lead from the FA and there is actually an official contraction guideline for teams and what they should be abbreviated too.

This has taken a bit of a battering over the years as the "official" contractions don't always fit the spaces used in things like the digital graphics used for score captions, but in normal speaking and written references the "proper names" should always be used and this is just a mistake by someone ill-informed, albeit they should know better if they're a "trained" sports journalist.

That said I prided myself on my sports knowledge but was once given a right rollicking by a Sky News Sports presenter when I'd written for him that Surrey had beaten Oxford at the Parks in a traditional pre season cricket friendly. He played hell with me because "as any reporter worth a fuck knows Oxford play in the Parks" - a mistake I never made again and have always remembered, plus I recall what a c&%t he was.

Quote Originally Posted by HBB View Post
    As a former BBC and Sky journo I can assure you that any mistake was a cock-up by a junior staffer.

The BBC and Sky style guides in this instance both take their lead from the FA and there is actually an official contraction guideline for teams and what they should be abbreviated too.

This has taken a bit of a battering over the years as the "official" contractions don't always fit the spaces used in things like the digital graphics used for score captions, but in normal speaking and written references the "proper names" should always be used and this is just a mistake by someone ill-informed, albeit they should know better if they're a "trained" sports journalist.

That said I prided myself on my sports knowledge but was once given a right rollicking by a Sky News Sports presenter when I'd written for him that Surrey had beaten Oxford at the Parks in a traditional pre season cricket friendly. He played hell with me because "as any reporter worth a fuck knows Oxford play in the Parks" - a mistake I never made again and have always remembered, plus I recall what a c&%t he was.
    It is quite odd on some channels where you see Man Utd abbreviated as "MUN" on the score boards... A Leeds fan clearly did that

Swansea v Forest.

Live on BBC Wales 3pm. Sky channel 978.

https://www.bt.com/sport/football/fa...ve-on-bt-sport

On here too, probably because it's a Welsh team BBC Wales probably have to / want to show it (especially since the other taffs are out).

Can probably get it on iplayer too