Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Massive Member

Default The Big Fat History Thread

Did a quick search and all of the history threads are related to football and Forest. (Surprise surprise!) :Spankarse:

I'm massively into general history and try to learn something every day by reading articles and magazines.

So anything interesting I'll stick here.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ian Storey-Moore

Default Re: The Big Fat History Thread

Something I learned when studying history is there's a lot of it.

Viv Anderson

Do you like World War II history Carlos?

Check this guy out on YouTube, he has a load of interesting stuff that isn't talked or reported by history channels because they aren't long enough to make a full program about some of them

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfC...S1ONgww/videos

First Team

OK, here's one for Strummer then.

The events in the USA, and the downward spiral of the decline of rationalism in the American Zeitgeist, make one think of historical parallels.

The prevailing narrative on post-war Germany is that, after the maelstrom of the Nazi regime there came an age of down-to-earth rationalism and liberal democracy, which led to its economic miracle. But how many know that were 77 witchcraft trials in West Germany between 1947 and 1956?

http://bostonreview.net/politics/sam...-magic-thrives

Massive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rzarecteh View Post

Check this guy out on YouTube, he has a load of interesting stuff that isn't talked or reported by history channels because they aren't long enough to make a full program about some of them

Love ww2 history. I never did until a couple of years ago. I've not found anything I haven't seen for a while and that channel is something I haven't watched.

I'm looking forward to getting around Germany when allowed to visit the various museum's, there's one I can see from my window which does my head in

Warp Speed Chic

The Great War is a great YouTube channel but I've not watched it much recently. Between 2014-2018 they did weekly reports as to what was happening 100 years previous which were a good watch. One of the YouTubes highlights.

Al Murray does a pretty good podcast as well, "We Have Ways of Making You Talk". I've only listened to a couple but they are pretty good

oopsy daisy!

Quote Originally Posted by Rzarecteh View Post

The Mark Felton stuff is usually really interesting.

Nigel Clough

It's good to learn something new. A Husker Du song but as Bob wrote it I'll let him off..

https://youtu.be/voRMcRw1Cfg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Can't Re Member

I did the American war of independence up to the causes of the 1st world war in school. Always felt it was a very restricted period of time. I occasionally try and brush up on British history but Iíve got no memory for the names so I always get confused.

Oh FFS.

Massive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bonalair View Post
    I did the American war of independence up to the causes of the 1st world war in school. Always felt it was a very restricted period of time. I occasionally try and brush up on British history but Iíve got no memory for the names so I always get confused.
    All we had was WW2 and the Greeks and Romans. Its very limited at school and even in the courses I looked at when I fancied going to uni. I think it's one of those subjects you have to seek out yourself to read and learn about a lot of it.

axe to grind

Neil Sheehan died a few days ago. He was a journalist in Vietnam who leaked the Pentagon Papers and wrote A Bright Shining Lie, a brilliant book about the Vietnam war.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...393_story.html

Last edited by Buckaroo; 11-01-21 at 05:20.

Viv Anderson

I watch a few youtube channels that specialize in history, whether short with animation or essay long videos. love them.

Here is one:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC22...fuvUivrjesETjg

Viv Anderson

This is also a nice channel.

axe to grind

I read a lot of history books and historical fiction. Being overseas I really like Kindle and nearly all the books I get are 99p in the Amazon 'daily deals'. I check every day and it's surprising how often ones that I've put in my wishlist for that very reason reduced price. Reading this at the moment that was 99p a few days ago.

Viv Anderson

Good thread. I love history. Did modern history at gcse and a-level which was classed as Crimean war onwards basically. Just wish I had more time to dedicate to watching and reading stuff. Will be keeping an eye in here for sure, and contributing as I remember stuff. Already seen a few things here to interest me.

Ian Storey-Moore

My son is a history teacher and it makes me smile when some of the topics he teaches I can remember like yesterday

Massive Member

For those that haven't seen it (I can't imagine there are many) World War II in colour on Netflix is fascinating

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    For those that haven't seen it (I can't imagine there are many) World War II in colour on Netflix is fascinating
    There are two. One from 2008 ish and a newer one 2018 ish. Both amazing. I enjoyed the Robert kennedy one too.

Senior doom Monger

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzcarraldo View Post
    Something I learned when studying history is there's a lot of it.
    Something I learned learning history... it is written by the winners.

Last edited by Captain Sinister; 11-01-21 at 13:26.

Senior doom Monger

Quote Originally Posted by Bonalair View Post
    You were not being educated but indoctrinated.

Inequity & hypocrisy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stalingrad-...s%2C168&sr=8-3

Anthony Beevor has written some exceptional historical books; Berlin, Stalingrad, and D-Day are three that kind of fit together as set, Stalingrad is particularly good. Without the Soviet sacrifice I am not sure the second world war would have had the same outcome.

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    I read a lot of history books and historical fiction. Being overseas I really like Kindle and nearly all the books I get are 99p in the Amazon 'daily deals'. I check every day and it's surprising how often ones that I've put in my wishlist for that very reason reduced price. Reading this at the moment that was 99p a few days ago.

I love my kindle, I tend to keep 4/5 books queued up ready to go and like you say there are good deals especially with Kindle unlimited when a lot of books are fee

Viv Anderson

I find the Cold War and Espionage interesting, Philby, Gordievsky, Cambridge Spy ring ect and my favourite is Eddie Chapman an absolute wrong un who ended up giving the Germans false info about where the V1 rockets were landing.

If I had my time again I'd join M16 so I could hang about in Berlin and keep an eye on what 'no good' the East Germans were upto

Matchday Squad

I have written a blog pertaining to my father's service in the RAF during World War Two. He flew two tours with Bomber Command before ending up as a POW in Germany. If this is of interest to you it can be seen here. https://wallyswar.wordpress.com/

Massive Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Layne View Post
    I have written a blog pertaining to my father's service in the RAF during World War Two. He flew two tours with Bomber Command before ending up as a POW in Germany. If this is of interest to you it can be seen here. https://wallyswar.wordpress.com/
    I will definitely be reading that later. Thank you mate.