• Draw - John Barnes

4 11.11%
  • Awooooga - John Fashanu

2 5.56%
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Matchday 12: Barnsley v Nottingham Forest 21/11/2020 15:00

Default Re: Matchday 12: Barnsley v Nottingham Forest 21/11/2020 15:00

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    They have taken time. It's been a three year process involving some mistakes and adjustments along the way, but they have built a squad, which is very good considering the restraints of FFP and our position in the Championship pecking order.
    Since EM came in we must comfortably have signed in excess of 40 odd players, possibly 50+.

That level of player influx over a 3 year period, that’s not building a squad that’s starting and ripping the foundation out and starting again 2 times over I’d say.

If it was anywhere near the “build over 3 years” you’re suggesting then we wouldn’t have gone from last season to this with a near enough brand new 11 playing.

And of course we are covering the cost of this for FFP by flogging the high flyers once a year for reasonably large sums. I don’t begrudge them that or criticise doing so, but it’s paying to cover up repeated mistakes and not towards much in the sense of progress.

End of this season we’ll be outside the play-offs on viewing at present and I think that’s a fair assessment. That’ll be 3 years of no real progress at a significant cost and inevitably that outcome will be leading to the search of a new manager.

I mean, do you hand on heart honestly look at the last 3 years in terms of footballing terms alone and think it evidences a club that is long term building a squad over that period?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Upper Decker

Quote Originally Posted by mouldynffc View Post
    Since EM came in we must comfortably have signed in excess of 40 odd players, possibly 50+.

That level of player influx over a 3 year period, that’s not building a squad that’s starting and ripping the foundation out and starting again 2 times over I’d say.

If it was anywhere near the “build over 3 years” you’re suggesting then we wouldn’t have gone from last season to this with a near enough brand new 11 playing.

And of course we are covering the cost of this for FFP by flogging the high flyers once a year for reasonably large sums. I don’t begrudge them that or criticise doing so, but it’s paying to cover up repeated mistakes and not towards much in the sense of progress.

End of this season we’ll be outside the play-offs on viewing at present and I think that’s a fair assessment. That’ll be 3 years of no real progress at a significant cost and inevitably that outcome will be leading to the search of a new manager.

I mean, do you hand on heart honestly look at the last 3 years in terms of footballing terms alone and think it evidences a club that is long term building a squad over that period?
    I didn’t suggest they’d set out to build a squad over three years, I said that is what has happened.

The progress is there for all to see in terms of improving league position. It’s your opinion that there has been no progress, but until we are certain of finishing lower than 7th, the evidence points strongly in the other direction.

As for flogging players, that is what cash strapped & mediocre second tier football clubs like ours have to do in order to compete. Name me a non-parachute club that doesn’t.

Stand Firm And Strike Hard

oopsy daisy!

Quote Originally Posted by mouldynffc View Post

Definitely making progress.

Our last manager lasted over a year.

Long term appointment.

We're getting there.

Brighton turned down Big Money offers for Dunk, Knockhaert and Stephens in order to retain a Promotion Chasing Squad capable of going up and they didn't have have Parachute Payments.

They managed to stay within FFP just but might have had to sell the following year if they hadn't made it up in the year that they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Good to see you back mate anyway
    Wow Harvs, you surely have become one of the fold

Massive Member

Quote Originally Posted by FrustratedRed View Post
    Wow Harvs, you surely have become one of the fold
    How do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    How do you mean?
    Private joke

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    I didn’t suggest they’d set out to build a squad over three years, I said that is what has happened.

The progress is there for all to see in terms of improving league position. It’s your opinion that there has been no progress, but until we are certain of finishing lower than 7th, the evidence points strongly in the other direction.

As for flogging players, that is what cash strapped & mediocre second tier football clubs like ours have to do in order to compete. Name me a non-parachute club that doesn’t.
    Like I said I offer no criticism of the sales themselves but I didn’t with Oli Burke for example either as gutted as I was and am when a great player leaves.

Do you genuinely feel the squad that was put out on Saturday was the culmination of 3 years gradual work and not a mass chop and change? Signing 15 players this summer or whatever it was is part of a grand plan and not a mass panic? I can’t believe anyone does if I’m honest, they’ve been here and signed players but it’s not been a build of steady growth, by accident or not.

Regarding the progress bit we’ve moved up which I accept is a good thing the owners clearly don’t though and I for one have near enough no doubt less reckless actions at board level we’d have got a lot closer to our goal than we have.

I give him a couple of years of this carrying on what that’ll inevitably mean in terms of promotion prospects and people growing sick of it happening as it did before he arrived.

It’s not half following a similar path in terms of actions and tolerance amongst the fan base anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Definitely making progress.

Our last manager lasted over a year.

Long term appointment.

We're getting there.
    3 months or so of footballs hibernation might have helped extend that timeline mind!

I have to admit it’s quite the achievement all the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Statto View Post
    It could be a total red herring as overage players can play in U23 matches.

But sounds likely that now we can use more subs this will happen as they don't count on our squad anyway. So it will probably be:
    - one of the players who played in the match with the 1st team and U23s the other day
    - a player who plays in a position we are short on available players

According to the academy twitter the 18s played today but no mention of the 23s for long enough to see if there are any unexpected omissions.

Reds: Wright, Rama (Spooner), Hefele, Mbe Soh, Ribeiro (Sanders), Konate, Colback (McDonnell), Clough (Larsson), Cafu, Ameobi (Dekel-Daks), L.Taylor (D.Taylor)

Blues: Smith, Jenkinson, Harbottle, Fernandes, Bong, Yates (Hammond), Barnes, Lolley (Gibson-Hammond), Guerrero, Freeman (Andrew), Swan

Italics are players over 23. It presumably can't be Clough or Hefele either as they're not in our squad. Mbe Soh doesn't need to be named in the squad as he's under the age cut off.
    According to Athletic it was Will Swan, apparently they called him up because one of the players was feeling a bit ill and they weren't sure if he would manage it, in the end it seems he did...

CH also confirms in the same article that Mighten is injured.