Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

View Poll Results: Chris Hughton - what do you think?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! Great appointment!

100 90.09%
  • NO! Not good enough for NFFC!

2 1.80%
  • Rather would have had someone else (I’ll tell you in the comments)

2 1.80%
  • Onions

7 6.31%
Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1190

Thread: Christopher William Gerard Hughton is the new Manager!

Default Re: Christopher William Gerard Hughton is the new Manager!

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    Not with the top brass signing the players anyway.
    And selling others

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Chin up lads!

We should have won today(despite them hitting the bar three times!)against a good side, away.

Plenty of work to do, but for long periods we controlled the game and created chances. We won a lot of corners, but Barnsley defended them well.

We made the better chances. We can improve our final ball, but we also just need to improve our finishing.

While our defending was clearly shocking (they beat our keeper five times)I'd suggest some of their chances were simply down to good, fast attacking play. We were usually fine when they launched it long.

We need to build a solid defence around McKenna, and we should have the players to do it. I'd hope Worrall either slotted in alongside him or went for big money to be replaced by better.

Quote Originally Posted by ubik View Post
    Chin up lads!

We should have won today(despite them hitting the bar three times!)against a good side, away.

Plenty of work to do, but for long periods we controlled the game and created chances. We won a lot of corners, but Barnsley defended them well.

We made the better chances. We can improve our final ball, but we also just need to improve our finishing.

While our defending was clearly shocking (they beat our keeper five times)I'd suggest some of their chances were simply down to good, fast attacking play. We were usually fine when they launched it long.

We need to build a solid defence around McKenna, and we should have the players to do it. I'd hope Worrall either slotted in alongside him or went for big money to be replaced by better.
    Think it's a good post mate, but also think our defence is just pretty shit personnel wise now compared to last year's peak.

Cash>Cristie
    Worral>Figs
    Watson>Colback (although granted Colback's getting fitter & better as he does)
    Peak Sow>Yates (although granted Yates too is growing every game)

Add to that the fact that Ameobi offers more defensive protection than Knockers, and Silva more defensive protection than Guererro, and we're WAY more vulnerable than last year.

Building a solid defence isn't the way to go with our current squad IMO. Getting the most out of Taylor, Grabban, Lolley, Knockers & Freeman at the other end is.

Realistically, I think we'll be very hit & miss until Hughton can get his teeth into a window properly.

I'd consider going for the throat:

Samba

Christi - Anyone but Figs - McKenna - Ribero

Arter/Colback - Yates - Ameobi

Lolley - Taylor/Grabs - Knockers

Not with the top brass signing the players anyway.
    That’s why Billy Davies was our last successful(for us) manager

He signed the players he had more than a say in those matters

Now we fucked

Quote Originally Posted by Forest ash View Post
    That’s why Billy Davies was our last successful(for us) manager

He signed the players he had more than a say in those matters

Now we fucked
    If there's one thing that's been proven about this club, it's owners & most it's fans though, it's that they can't handle brilliance

I really don't understand why Hughton is so reticent to make changes in a game, he had 5 subs available to him today, he made one and that one should have been made at HT, we could have freshened things up by bringing Ameobi for a different kind of threat, Mighten should have been on the bench instead of one of the 2 LBS (we had 3 Fbs on the bench today? WHY!?)

I also don't think that starting off every game with 2 Dms is the way to go, away from home against a good team? Maybe, this game? Maybe, but switch it up when we have the front foot and need a bit more going forward, but its just plain cowardly at home to the likes of fucking Wycombe.

Massive Member

Maybe because he isn't the second coming of Jesus, maybe football has moved on since 1998 and expansive European flair football is needed to get out of this league. Just like the last few that have won it

The Chris Hughton Rolling Scorecard (the one that makes Alf "thrive"):

Barnsley 2-0 Forest

Some signs of progress and squad cohesion and some decent patterns, but there needs to be far more actual more end product.

This was far better than many we've seen recently, but there needs to be more focus now on executing the gameplan and game management.

Chris Hughton cards a virtual bogey to slip to -1 on the rolling scorecard.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Maybe because he isn't the second coming of Jesus, maybe football has moved on since 1998 and expansive European flair football is needed to get out of this league. Just like the last few that have won it
    Martin o Neil the 2nd coming

Not good enough Hughton. You lost us this match. Barnsley’s young and eager subs ran rings around our tired legs. That is why teams have substitutes, that is why teams make substitutions, that is why the league is allowing 5 substitutes. Also it was clear that Barnsley was handling our tactics and style of play very well. Therefore you have to change it. I he game was crying out for a fast and tricky Mighten, but he wasn’t even on the bench. Or Ameobi to freshen things up. The rotund Freeman offered nothing. Feel a bit sorry for Guerro, he worked hard, but he’s had his chance, he’s not good enough and should never put the shirt on again. Hughton you are looking like a stubborn old man, set in his ways, tactically naive and upstaged by a more youthful manager with better tactics for the modern game.

Quote Originally Posted by jjthompsonuk View Post
    Not good enough Hughton. You lost us this match. Barnsley’s young and eager subs ran rings around our tired legs. That is why teams have substitutes, that is why teams make substitutions, that is why the league is allowing 5 substitutes. Also it was clear that Barnsley was handling our tactics and style of play very well. Therefore you have to change it. I he game was crying out for a fast and tricky Mighten, but he wasn’t even on the bench. Or Ameobi to freshen things up. The rotund Freeman offered nothing. Feel a bit sorry for Guerro, he worked hard, but he’s had his chance, he’s not good enough and should never put the shirt on again. Hughton you are looking like a stubborn old man, set in his ways, tactically naive and upstaged by a more youthful manager with better tactics for the modern game.
    Harsh but true

Ouch!

Think a lot of those points are valid actually. Would like to disagree with them, but if I'm being honest I can't. However, also think there's a few way too short term comments.

Mighten's an interesting one. He's got bags of potential, but then again he's not actually done much so far, so I'm not sure he'd be a match winner yesterday. That said, having two fullbacks on the bench instead of Mighten seems lobsided too.

Quote Originally Posted by cms186 View Post
    I really don't understand why Hughton is so reticent to make changes in a game, he had 5 subs available to him today, he made one and that one should have been made at HT, we could have freshened things up by bringing Ameobi for a different kind of threat, Mighten should have been on the bench instead of one of the 2 LBS (we had 3 Fbs on the bench today? WHY!?)

I also don't think that starting off every game with 2 Dms is the way to go, away from home against a good team? Maybe, this game? Maybe, but switch it up when we have the front foot and need a bit more going forward, but its just plain cowardly at home to the likes of fucking Wycombe.
    I'll put my faith in the manager thats been promoted twice.

CH's appointment was an exceptionally good and surprising one given the clubs recent history. Consistent performances like yesterdays matched with positive results (which will come) and he won't be going anywhere, even if he just misses out. He's a class act who knows what he's doing. We will soon be 'the team to beat'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bentheloon View Post
    CH's appointment was an exceptionally good and surprising one given the clubs recent history. Consistent performances like yesterdays matched with positive results (which will come) and he won't be going anywhere, even if he just misses out. He's a class act who knows what he's doing. We will soon be 'the team to beat'.
    Agree with all that apart from "We will soon be 'the team to beat".

Think that's some time coming yet, and that's not Hughton's fault, that's down to being run by dolts again, who's idea of creating a promotion push is to constantly cycle managers & players hoping something works.

As opposed to getting a quality bloke in & giving him time to build a proper promotion side.

Last edited by Alf-engelos Mindminackers; 22-11-20 at 11:28.

Agree with all that apart from "We will soon be 'the team to beat". Think that's some time coming yet, and that's not Hughton's fault, that's down to being run by dolts again, who's idea of creating a promotion push is to constantly cycle managers & players hoping something works, as opposed to getting a quality bloke in & giving him time to build a proper promotion side.
    I hear what you are saying but maybe that crazy ethos ended with CH's appointment. I'm sure we all hope so. Fingers crossed.

I was pleased with CH's appointment and think, given time, we can put up respectable performances and threaten the best in this League. But will he get time? And will he modify his approach?

It's an old gripe of mine that manager's have their favourite players and their favourite tactics which they employ come what may. When the players don't exactly suit the manager's style of play, then you run into problems.

At the moment, he seems to have settled on a first team which is not getting results consistently. And the idea of experimentation of tactics, players and substitutions is anathema to the man.

So we hope for a better transfer window in January; a perennial hope whoever is in charge. Will he get time to change our approach?

Players ain't good enough . You can't just turn up and all of a sudden they go from a team who haven't picked up a point to World Beaters overnight.

Massive task in January Transfer Window. Notoriously difficult window to Overhaul a Squad of Players because the majority of the transfers in January are Loans.

An even harder task will be dumping a lot of the higher earners.

Anyone expecting a reshaping of the squad in January is in for a disappointment.

The squad has already been built, and Hughton took the job knowing it was the squad with which he needs to win promotion.

It's one of the best squads we've had in years, as well, with players that people have been crying out for on here for a long time.

Anything other than a play-off challenge and he's failed and will be getting his P45 come May.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bentheloon View Post
    I hear what you are saying but maybe that crazy ethos ended with CH's appointment. I'm sure we all hope so. Fingers crossed.
    There wasn't a ethos thats the problem, the transfers over the summer prove that. We have to have a proper manager or head coach and the summer was a mash up of both of them done badly.

Not good enough Hughton....tactically naive.
    I'd be interested to know what qualifies you to make that claim?

If, as your username possibly suggests, you used to play for us, as well as a couple of other local clubs, I accept it as being valid, although I do beg to differ.

Last edited by Otis Redd'un; 22-11-20 at 13:12.

Agree with all that apart from "We will soon be 'the team to beat".

Think that's some time coming yet, and that's not Hughton's fault, that's down to being run by dolts again, who's idea of creating a promotion push is to constantly cycle managers & players hoping something works.

As opposed to getting a quality bloke in & giving him time to build a proper promotion side.
    True the transfers have now left us short on attacking options, mighten if on the bench would have been the only throw of the dice we really have. Someone like Freeman gonna need a decent passing midfeilder next to him, like Osborn and carvalho,

I think by the time we come good it’ll be too late to get anywhere in this league, I can see us being hit n miss till February time.

All I hope for is our owners give CH next season to push on as he will do the job here.

Double post.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Zeus View Post

It's one of the best squads we've had in years, as well, with players that people have been crying out for on here for a long time.
    Not for me it isn't.

Christie can't defend
    Figs is vulnerable
    Sow's a total biscuit
    Darikwa, Ianwoanou, Blackett, & Bong wouldn't get near a top 6 side
    Colback's getting his fitness back
    Yates still learning his trade
    Freemans out of shape & off the boil
    Grabban's prob got his eye on a move
    Bachirou & Cafu? Again, chance of them getting in any top 6 side?
    Gurerro looks a nice little grafter, but looks shite in front of goal.
    Arter can't get game time for love nor money.

Lolley, Taylor, McKenna, Knockers. 4 top 6 players. Grabban would be in that group if he weren't likely off elsewhere, Ameobi a nice bonus player.

Signing players at the right time is as important as signing the right players. Colback's time was when he was fit & firing after playing with us for a year, not after 18 months sat on his arse. He'll improve as he gets fitter, but in the here & now he's still some way off his best.

The squad is, AGAIN, a total mish mash. Whoever our manager is, this season is about tidying up the fallout from failing to capitalize on our momentum last year.

Last edited by Alf-engelos Mindminackers; 22-11-20 at 13:14.