Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 151 to 173 of 173
  1. #151
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Nellingen-Ostfildern
    Posts
    1,194

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...

    Helicopter pilot finds 'strange' monolith in remote part of Utah

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e-part-of-utah


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #152
    axe to grind
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    นนทบุรี
    Posts
    3,002

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...




  4. #153
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    29,907

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...

    May have been mentioned in another thread but Tory MP Charles Walker saw an old lady get arrested for peacefully protesting and kicked off about it. He raised it in the House of Commons as well.




  5. #154
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    out west
    Posts
    16,898

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    May have been mentioned in another thread but Tory MP Charles Walker saw an old lady get arrested for peacefully protesting and kicked off about it. He raised it in the House of Commons as well.
    I'm pretty sure we've seen all the components here on other demos - old person, lawful protest, dead-weighting as a passive resistance, police heavy-handedness.

    Usually, your moral tone is supportive of the police keeping the peace but I'm sensing something different here?

    EXACT SAME BENEFITS

  6. #155
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    29,907

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...

    Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    I'm pretty sure we've seen all the components here on other demos - old person, lawful protest, dead-weighting as a passive resistance, police heavy-handedness.

    Usually, your moral tone is supportive of the police keeping the peace but I'm sensing something different here?
    I thought it was an interesting video with an MP present and actually intervening.

    But since you asked, I do believe the Police have a job to do and I support that but I don’t see how certain sections of some demonstrations are allowed to trash London whilst others can’t peacefully protest. That is a breakdown in law and order.


  7. #156
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    out west
    Posts
    16,898

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...

    Let's not turn everything into trashing London. It derails the questions.

    Lot's of Protest is peaceful but not entirely lawful. Extention Rebbellion for example.

    Similarly, this anti-lockdown protest in Westminister this week was, under the law as its stands, unlawful.

    Where is the point where one thing should be broken up by the cops, the other where is law and order breaking down?


  8. #157
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    29,907

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...

    Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    Let's not turn everything into trashing London. It derails the questions.

    Lot's of Protest is peaceful but not entirely lawful. Extention Rebbellion for example.

    Similarly, this anti-lockdown protest in Westminister this week was, under the law as its stands, unlawful.

    Where is the point where one thing should be broken up by the cops, the other where is law and order breaking down?
    That’s what I want to know. You follow it all much more closely than I do, so what do you think?

    There were protests during the first national lockdown, were they lawful?


  9. #158
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    out west
    Posts
    16,898

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...

    The ones before the Corana Virus Act were lawful, althought a Secretary of State had the power of prevention on an individual gathering.

    After the Act, I'm not sure on the dates it came into force, they are unlawful.

    Personally, I still think the cops should not be get handy with dissenters even when I disagree with the nature of the dissent.


  10. #159
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    29,907

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...

    Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    The ones before the Corana Virus Act were lawful, althought a Secretary of State had the power of prevention on an individual gathering.

    After the Act, I'm not sure on the dates it came into force, they are unlawful.

    Personally, I still think the cops should not be get handy with dissenters even when I disagree with the nature of the dissent.
    Thanks for the info.

    It must be difficult in their position though, you must appreciate that? Arresting that old lass was ridiculous jobsworth nonsense but they face a lot of abuse in general.


  11. #160
    The Sun Always Shines On
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    South London
    Posts
    4,508

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    May have been mentioned in another thread but Tory MP Charles Walker saw an old lady get arrested for peacefully protesting and kicked off about it. He raised it in the House of Commons as well.

    Fully aware he's being filmed there


  12. #161
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    29,907

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...

    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Fully aware he's being filmed there
    In it for the glory. To be fair he raged about it in the House of Commons.




  13. #162

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...

    Can we stop calling them cops please
    An abhorrent Americanisation that belongs the other side of the Atlantic

    It’s the police , bobbies, peelers , bow street runners, pigs or filth.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  14. #163
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    out west
    Posts
    16,898

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...

    Copper is a British slang, from the old French caper to capture.

    And in my world, I grew up calling the police station a cop shop. That's as British as you can get.

    So stick that up your precinct.

    Last edited by Redemption; 27-11-20 at 08:43.

  15. #164
    13th Duke of Wybourne
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hughton's Underpants
    Posts
    46,369

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...

    Yeah, feds is far worse. Personally and for no other reason that it amuses me, I refer to them as "shit, it's the po po"

    "Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

  16. #165
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    89,375

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...

    „Yo, Bro, it’s da Five-Oh!“

    „I believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialism“

    „Don't forget you're alive. 'Cause sometimes when you walk around the city and you're in a bad mood, you can think, hey, wait a minute, we're alive! We don't know what the next second will bring and what a fantastic thing this is. This can get easily forgotten in the routine of life, and that's something I'm trying to bring to my attention at all times. Don't forget you're alive. We're not dead, you know. This is the greatest thing.”

    — Joe Strummer

  17. #166
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,633

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...

    That tory mp just happened to be there when the Old Bill nicked the Old lad during a lockdown protest

    Tory mp just happens to be a back bencher opposed to lockdown measures

    Would tory mp have given a fuck about protesting Old lady getting nicked if she wasn't backing up his opinion


  18. #167
    Ale ape.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    30,083

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...

    Last edited by congo_red; Yesterday at 19:38.

  19. #168
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    out west
    Posts
    16,898

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...

    Quote Originally Posted by congo_red View Post
    if those links are opened on a none Apple device, this is what is returned...

    Open this story in Apple News.
    For the best reading experience, open this story on a device with Apple News. It may also be available on the publisher’s website.

    Learn more about Apple News



  20. #169
    Ale ape.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    30,083

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...

    Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    if those links are opened on a none Apple device, this is what is returned...
    Sorry, now I’m past the age of 40, I’m incompetent with tech.

    Try this one instead.

    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...62709.html?amp


  21. #170
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    out west
    Posts
    16,898

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...

    That no one tried to intervene breaks my heart.


  22. #171
    Ale ape.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    30,083

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...

    Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    That no one tried to intervene breaks my heart.
    With the bottles, or me using electronic devices?


  23. #172
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    29,907

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...

    Quote Originally Posted by congo_red View Post
    Sorry, now I’m past the age of 40, I’m incompetent with tech.


    The same happened to me.


  24. #173
    Upper Decker
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In acres of space
    Posts
    40,111

    Default Re: News items that it's not worth starting another thread for...

    Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    Copper is a British slang, from the old French caper to capture.

    And in my world, I grew up calling the police station a cop shop. That's as British as you can get.

    So stick that up your precinct.
    For me too. They used to be Coppers and the station was the Cop Shop.

    Stand Firm And Strike Hard

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •