Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 126

Thread: Abdoulaye Diallo

      
  1. #101
    Upper Decker
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In acres of space
    Posts
    40,003

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    It’s probable that we will only need one keeper for most games like last season, but it does happen where both keepers are out, for instance, one keeper gets a red card and another picks up an injury. Clubs need 3 keepers, even though it’s likely that one of them won’t be used.

    Stand Firm And Strike Hard

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #102
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,956

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    It’s probable that we will only need one keeper for most games like last season, but it does happen where both keepers are out, for instance, one keeper gets a red card and another picks up an injury. Clubs need 3 keepers, even though it’s likely that one of them won’t be used.
    What are the odds of that happening - demonstrably less than once a season?

    Paying a years wage to insure against something that improbable (where they'd be needed for 1 match) just seems like a waste of money to me.


  4. #103
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sutton-in-Ashfield
    Posts
    4,197

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    Maybe Diallo's presence makes Samba better due to the competition? Maybe he is a really good guy and helps build the morale within the squad? Maybe he can help us out for the odd game through the season?

    But

    Unless we are all the clubs accountant, why are we splitting hairs about a third choice goalkeeper who we signed on a free from a backwater Turkish team? I am not privy to any insider info, but I'd bet my left knacker in relative terms he is earning next to nowt.


  5. #104
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Dock Of The Bay.
    Posts
    12,492

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Clarks Tash View Post
    What are the odds of that happening - demonstrably less than once a season?

    Paying a years wage to insure against something that improbable (where they'd be needed for 1 match) just seems like a waste of money to me.
    Just out of interest, and as I similarly commented in another thread, when did Nottingham Forest last do something, anything even, that you even remotely approved of?

    This is most definitely not a criticism, and certainly no offence is intended, but if supporting the club is such a chore, and such a negative experience, why the fuck do you put yourself through it?

    If I felt as down about everything involving NFFC as you clearly do, I'd seriously consider taking a break from it mate.

    Last edited by Otis Redd'un; 17-09-20 at 01:22.

  6. #105
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Stuck in Ryan's shorts
    Posts
    4,281

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheRed View Post
    Maybe Diallo's presence makes Samba better due to the competition? Maybe he is a really good guy and helps build the morale within the squad? Maybe he can help us out for the odd game through the season?

    But

    Unless we are all the clubs accountant, why are we splitting hairs about a third choice goalkeeper who we signed on a free from a backwater Turkish team? I am not privy to any insider info, but I'd bet my left knacker in relative terms he is earning next to nowt.
    Not sure he's going to be 3rd choice.

    He has international caps for Senegal which probably puts him ahead of Smith and maybe even Samba.

    Although keepers with international caps can still be toilet (Pascolo, Muric, Vlad) and it depends which country (Pants was never first choice for them either) it is the highest level.

    When we still had Smith and Pants, had signed Muric on loan in the summer, and had Steele at the club too, how many people thought the new keeper we signed would go into the team?

    Smith is clearly being loaned or sold.


  7. #106
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,077

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    Quote Originally Posted by Statto View Post

    He has international caps for Senegal which probably puts him ahead of Smith and maybe even Samba.
    This guy is not replacing Samba. 2 international caps for Senegal since 2017. Wow.

    He was at Rennes for 10 years and played 18 games!


  8. #107
    Ale ape.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    29,759

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    This guy is not replacing Samba. 2 international caps for Senegal since 2017. Wow.
    It's 2 more than Samba has for Congo...


  9. #108
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,077

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    Quote Originally Posted by congo_red View Post
    It's 2 more than Samba has for Congo...
    I'm aware of that.


  10. #109
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sutton-in-Ashfield
    Posts
    4,197

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    This guy is not replacing Samba. 2 international caps for Senegal since 2017. Wow.

    He was at Rennes for 10 years and played 18 games!
    This.

    He has been brought in because SL and his coaches know who he is and what he is about to provide competition in the GK room.

    Again, he was signed on a free from a backwater Turkish team where he was third choice. He is probably earning as much as the tea lady. I don't get why folk are so up in arms about it.

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk


  11. #110
    Hello
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    1,889

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    Quote Originally Posted by congo_red View Post
    It's 2 more than Samba has for Congo...
    Have a look at the other top Congolese keepers at the moment. They are nowhere near Samba's level. He is not playing for them for a reason, whatever that might be.


  12. #111
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,361

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    As somebody who has to work out when to buy the next pack of bog rolls, all this talk of chucking away money on the wages of a keeper we don't need makes me realise that perhaps football isn't that short of money.


  13. #112
    Ale ape.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    29,759

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    Quote Originally Posted by bob bobson View Post
    Have a look at the other top Congolese keepers at the moment. They are nowhere near Samba's level. He is not playing for them for a reason, whatever that might be.
    If that is a valid reason/excuse for Samba, then the same should be extended to Diallo.


  14. #113
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    I often puzzle of why players become back-up goalkeepers. There have been several famous example - Paul Crichton is probably the king, although he did have five years as a regular at Doncaster and Grimsby. Danny Ward is 27 and has played twice for the teams he is contracted to in almost a decade, yet was nearly ever present for Huddersfield in 2016/17 (the year they went up). If I was a pro I would rather play for a lesser team than sit on the bench forever in the EPL.


  15. #114
    Red til I'm dead
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,263

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    He doesn’t play for Senegal anymore because they have the Rennes geezer that Chelsea are about to drop 30m on in goal


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  16. #115
    Red til I'm dead
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,263

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    Quote Originally Posted by DevonRed1967 View Post
    I often puzzle of why players become back-up goalkeepers. There have been several famous example - Paul Crichton is probably the king, although he did have five years as a regular at Doncaster and Grimsby. Danny Ward is 27 and has played twice for the teams he is contracted to in almost a decade, yet was nearly ever present for Huddersfield in 2016/17 (the year they went up). If I was a pro I would rather play for a lesser team than sit on the bench forever in the EPL.
    I think they must just not really love football any more. Lots more players nowadays aren’t really interested in football but are pros because of the phenomenal rewards.

    When you look at it like that, being 2nd (or even 3rd) choice keeper at a big club probably suits them fine.

    Me, I’d want to play.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  17. #116
    Hello
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    1,889

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    Quote Originally Posted by congo_red View Post
    If that is a valid reason/excuse for Samba, then the same should be extended to Diallo.
    Senegal's #1 is close to a £20 million move to Chelsea to be their #1, so not quite the same


  18. #117
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sutton-in-Ashfield
    Posts
    4,197

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    Quote Originally Posted by DevonRed1967 View Post
    I often puzzle of why players become back-up goalkeepers. There have been several famous example - Paul Crichton is probably the king, although he did have five years as a regular at Doncaster and Grimsby. Danny Ward is 27 and has played twice for the teams he is contracted to in almost a decade, yet was nearly ever present for Huddersfield in 2016/17 (the year they went up). If I was a pro I would rather play for a lesser team than sit on the bench forever in the EPL.
    You can only have 1 goalkeeper playing in your starting eleven (obviously) and it isn't a position where you can 'fill in' if someone gets injured (like a centre back going to right back). Even then, it isn't like you rotate your goalkeeper to keep them fresh, you want consistency.

    It is easy to sit here and say career backup goalkeepers don't love the game or whatever. But someone like Stuart Taylor got to be at some of the biggest clubs in the world, with the best facilities, no doubt being paid a handsome wedge, still getting to do something you love. Don't everyone's dream of football is playing away at Gillingham on a cold Tuesday night get pelters from a load of farmers in the home end.


  19. #118
    Ale ape.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    29,759

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    Quote Originally Posted by bob bobson View Post
    Senegal's #1 is close to a £20 million move to Chelsea to be their #1, so not quite the same
    Not the point I was making, but I've lost the will to bother.


  20. #119
    Ale ape.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    29,759

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    Quote Originally Posted by DevonRed1967 View Post
    I often puzzle of why players become back-up goalkeepers. There have been several famous example - Paul Crichton is probably the king, although he did have five years as a regular at Doncaster and Grimsby. Danny Ward is 27 and has played twice for the teams he is contracted to in almost a decade, yet was nearly ever present for Huddersfield in 2016/17 (the year they went up). If I was a pro I would rather play for a lesser team than sit on the bench forever in the EPL.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRed85 View Post
    I think they must just not really love football any more. Lots more players nowadays aren’t really interested in football but are pros because of the phenomenal rewards.

    When you look at it like that, being 2nd (or even 3rd) choice keeper at a big club probably suits them fine.

    Me, I’d want to play.
    Dropping down a level (or two) doesn't guarantee more game time, just lower pay

    Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheRed View Post
    You can only have 1 goalkeeper playing in your starting eleven (obviously) and it isn't a position where you can 'fill in' if someone gets injured (like a centre back going to right back). Even then, it isn't like you rotate your goalkeeper to keep them fresh, you want consistency.
    It's also a position where - substitutions aren't made for tactical reasons, substitutions are very rarely made for performance reasons and injury/suspension rates are comparatively low.
    Reserve Goalkeepers will have to be more patient than most when waiting for a chance.


  21. #120
    It's all about mid-table...
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wetherspoons
    Posts
    19,687

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    Reserve Keepers are in the dead zone.


  22. #121
    Red til I'm dead
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,263

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheRed View Post
    You can only have 1 goalkeeper playing in your starting eleven (obviously) and it isn't a position where you can 'fill in' if someone gets injured (like a centre back going to right back). Even then, it isn't like you rotate your goalkeeper to keep them fresh, you want consistency.

    It is easy to sit here and say career backup goalkeepers don't love the game or whatever. But someone like Stuart Taylor got to be at some of the biggest clubs in the world, with the best facilities, no doubt being paid a handsome wedge, still getting to do something you love. Don't everyone's dream of football is playing away at Gillingham on a cold Tuesday night get pelters from a load of farmers in the home end.
    If you’re good enough to be at one of the biggest clubs in the world, I think you’d be good enough to play Championship football.

    Huge clubs don’t buy backup keepers from Gillingham.

    I’d agree with what you said about Taylor getting paid shitloads to work in a great environment, but there’s no way he loves football if he’s happy to play less than 100 games in his whole career. He loves the money.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  23. #122
    It's all about mid-table...
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wetherspoons
    Posts
    19,687

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    Quote Originally Posted by RealRed85 View Post
    I’d agree with what you said about Taylor getting paid shitloads to work in a great environment, but there’s no way he loves football if he’s happy to play less than 100 games in his whole career. He loves the money.
    It's a shame, a great shame.

    Folks often say it on here "Dont blame him, I'd do the same, the money's there".

    And this is where the game's collapsed, there's no drive, no heartfelt inner strive to be your absolute best in the sport you are gifted in, no ambition to get to the top.

    ONLY MONEY.


  24. #123
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    89,220

    Default Abdoulaye Diallo

    More importantly, why hasn‘t anyone yet come up with a chant for him, to the tune of (Is This The Way To) Amarillo?

    „I believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialism“

    „Don't forget you're alive. 'Cause sometimes when you walk around the city and you're in a bad mood, you can think, hey, wait a minute, we're alive! We don't know what the next second will bring and what a fantastic thing this is. This can get easily forgotten in the routine of life, and that's something I'm trying to bring to my attention at all times. Don't forget you're alive. We're not dead, you know. This is the greatest thing.”

    — Joe Strummer

  25. #124
    Ale ape.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    29,759

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    More importantly, why hasn‘t anyone yet come up with a chant for him, to the tune of (Is This The Way To) Amarillo?
    I believe you just did.

    Although if you're looking for a reason - fans not being in stadiums is a little prohibitive to chanting.


  26. #125
    Impressive member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    13,124

    Default Re: Abdoulaye Diallo

    Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheRed View Post
    This.

    He has been brought in because SL and his coaches know who he is and what he is about to provide competition in the GK room.

    Again, he was signed on a free from a backwater Turkish team where he was third choice. He is probably earning as much as the tea lady. I don't get why folk are so up in arms about it.

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    We've all had phone calls from these Nigerian princes looking to get their money out of their war-torn country.
    This lad will be on more than Bale.

    Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •