Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 857
  1. #1
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Dock Of The Bay, Bakersfield NG3.
    Posts
    14,671

    Default Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Vinyl.......Charlie Parker With Strings (1950) 1995 re-pressing.

    Tipple.......Maker's Mark Private Selection. As an enthusiastic bourbon drinker himself, something that Bird would doubtlessly appreciate.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    33,753

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Ooooh... classier than me Otis.

    I’ve got ‘the Hurting’ by Tears for Fears on with some Guinness Original and a Teachers chaser.


  4. #3

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    Vinyl.......Charlie Parker With Strings (1950) 1995 re-pressing.

    Tipple.......Maker's Mark Private Selection. As an enthusiastic bourbon drinker himself, something that Bird would doubtlessly appreciate.
    Otis, do you remember The Coleman Club in Nottingham?
    I'm just watching a Bob Marley documentary and saw that The Wailers played there in 1973 and I've never heard of it before.


  5. #4
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Dock Of The Bay, Bakersfield NG3.
    Posts
    14,671

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Ooooh... classier than me Otis.

    I’ve got ‘the Hurting’ by Tears for Fears on with some Guinness Original and a Teachers chaser.
    Nothing classier about it Bryn, it's all subjective.


  6. #5
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Dock Of The Bay, Bakersfield NG3.
    Posts
    14,671

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    Otis, do you remember The Coleman Club in Nottingham?
    I'm just watching a Bob Marley documentary and saw that The Wailers played there in 1973 and I've never heard of it before.
    Yes Wes, although I never went, I was aware of the place. It was located behind the old Crystal Palace pub, just off of Clumber Street, down the alleyway where a McDonalds now stands. It was a ballroom dancing school (the Colmans being the husband & wife dance teachers), that also served as a mid-teenagers discotheque in the late-60s, and as far as I know, it didn't sell alcohol.

    It wasn't known as a live music venue, and so it's surreal to think that the Wailers played there.


  7. #6

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    Yes Wes, although I never went, I was aware of the place. It was located behind the old Crystal Palace pub, just off of Clumber Street, down the alleyway where a McDonalds now stands. It was a ballroom dancing school (the Colmans being the husband & wife dance teachers), that also served as a mid-teenagers discotheque in the late-60s, and as far as I know, it didn't sell alcohol.

    It wasn't known as a live music venue, and so it's surreal to think that the Wailers played there.
    Cheers Otis, I love to know about what went on in Nottingham over the years.


  8. #7
    Gaff Lad
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the Fairground.
    Posts
    23,906

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Cracking thread Otis.

    Myself and Mrs rockabilly often play vinyl on a Saturday night.

    Last night our choice was a Billy Williams L.P called "I'm gonna sit right down and write myself". No beer for us this time, just a mug of Horlicks.


  9. #8

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Blondie's Parallel lines went on the other night


  10. #9
    Gaff Lad
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the Fairground.
    Posts
    23,906

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos View Post
    Blondie's Parallel lines went on the other night
    "One way or another...."


  11. #10
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Speluncarrum Domus
    Posts
    10,916

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    Yes Wes, although I never went, I was aware of the place. It was located behind the old Crystal Palace pub, just off of Clumber Street, down the alleyway where a McDonalds now stands. It was a ballroom dancing school (the Colmans being the husband & wife dance teachers), that also served as a mid-teenagers discotheque in the late-60s, and as far as I know, it didn't sell alcohol.

    It wasn't known as a live music venue, and so it's surreal to think that the Wailers played there.
    The ally way is called Maypole Yard and is still there, it leads to the back entrance of the old Littlewood's shop. It was more of a dance hall than a club though really. In the late sixties there was an under sixteens disco on Friday night which I attended a few times.

    I am surprised that you guys don't know about the Bob Marley concert it is quite famous. 27th April 1973 and was their first concert of their very first UK tour and is regarded as the first Bob Marley and the Wailers first ever concert.

    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

  12. #11

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Quote Originally Posted by alabamared View Post
    The ally way is called Maypole Yard and is still there, it leads to the back entrance of the old Littlewood's shop. It was more of a dance hall than a club though really. In the late sixties there was an under sixteens disco on Friday night which I attended a few times.

    I am surprised that you guys don't know about the Bob Marley concert it is quite famous. 27th April 1973 and was their first concert of their very first UK tour and is regarded as the first Bob Marley and the Wailers first ever concert.
    I'm a mere puppy next to you pair pal!
    It's the duty of the elders to educate the yoof. ;p


  13. #12
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Dock Of The Bay, Bakersfield NG3.
    Posts
    14,671

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    Cracking thread Otis.

    Myself and Mrs rockabilly often play vinyl on a Saturday night.

    Last night our choice was a Billy Williams L.P called "I'm gonna sit right down and write myself". No beer for us this time, just a mug of Horlicks.
    Thanks Rocka. I was hoping it wouldn't come across as me being self-indulgent and might possibly interest those who aren't out on a Saturday night and may choose not to watch fucking Michael McIntyre or whoever.

    Quote Originally Posted by alabamared View Post
    The ally way is called Maypole Yard and is still there, it leads to the back entrance of the old Littlewood's shop. It was more of a dance hall than a club though really. In the late sixties there was an under sixteens disco on Friday night which I attended a few times.
    I often drank in the Crystal Palace back then, and the sound of the chart-music of day could often be heard coming from Colmans in the back-room of the pub, and young teenagers shouting and generally fucking about in Maypole Yard. I distinctly recall that the pub's jukebox had a better selection of music.

    Last edited by Otis Redd'un; 30-08-20 at 11:55.

  14. #13
    Senior doom Monger
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Vale of Belvoir
    Posts
    23,563

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Well, last night was "Soundtrack from Easy Rider" followed by "Seventh Sojurn" by the Moody Blues.
    The tipple was a Sainsbury's "Taste the Difference" Bordeau, which was OK, but not a patch on Friday nights £13 bottle from Laithwaites that me and the Mrs shared while eating a takeaway from Melton's finest Chinese "The Jasmine House".
    We made our own music that night.


  15. #14
    Senior doom Monger
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Vale of Belvoir
    Posts
    23,563

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    Well, last night was "Soundtrack from Easy Rider" followed by "Seventh Sojurn" by the Moody Blues.
    The tipple was a Sainsbury's "Taste the Difference" Bordeau, which was OK, but not a patch on Friday nights £13 bottle from Laithwaites that me and the Mrs shared while eating a takeaway from Melton's finest Chinese "The Jasmine House".
    We made our own music that night.
    Actually, we sat on the settee, separated by the hounds, watching a couple of episodes from "Dark" on Netflix, before crashing out in bed, absolutely knackered from stripping out old fitted cupboards and 1960s's 4 inch square tiles as the bathroom renovation is in full swing.


  16. #15
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Speluncarrum Domus
    Posts
    10,916

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    I often drank in the Crystal Palace back then, and the sound of the chart-music of day could often be heard coming from Colmans in the back-room of the pub, and young teenagers shouting and generally fucking about in Maypole Yard. I distinctly recall that the pub's jukebox had a better selection of music.
    But did they have a better selection of teenage girls?


  17. #16
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Dock Of The Bay, Bakersfield NG3.
    Posts
    14,671

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Quote Originally Posted by alabamared View Post
    But did they have a better selection of teenage girls?
    Being newly-married and an expectant father in 1969, I wouldn't have noticed AR.


  18. #17
    Wally Ardron
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The wrong end of the county
    Posts
    2,344

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos View Post
    Blondie's Parallel lines went on the other night
    I stuck on Blondie's The Hunter a few days ago, for the first time in about 25 years. Sounds much better now than it did in '82.


  19. #18
    Wally Ardron
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The wrong end of the county
    Posts
    2,344

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    Well, last night was "Soundtrack from Easy Rider" followed by "Seventh Sojurn" by the Moody Blues.
    The tipple was a Sainsbury's "Taste the Difference" Bordeau, which was OK, but not a patch on Friday nights £13 bottle from Laithwaites that me and the Mrs shared while eating a takeaway from Melton's finest Chinese "The Jasmine House".
    We made our own music that night.
    Seventh Sojourn



  20. #19
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Speluncarrum Domus
    Posts
    10,916

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    Being newly-married and an expectant father in 1969, I wouldn't have noticed AR.
    1969? I was 14 and a raging bundle of hormones (not changed a lot really).


  21. #20
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    33,753

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Quote Originally Posted by alabamared View Post
    1969? I was 14 and a raging bundle of hormones (not changed a lot really).
    I was just a twinkle in my dads eye.

    Heard lots of great stories from my mum from that era, she was a mod and used to go to ‘the dungeon’ in Nottingham amongst other places.


  22. #21
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Dock Of The Bay, Bakersfield NG3.
    Posts
    14,671

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    I was just a twinkle in my dads eye.

    Heard lots of great stories from my mum from that era, she was a mod and used to go to ‘the dungeon’ in Nottingham amongst other places.
    As far as I'm concerned, The Dungeon, and the Beachcomber across town are more-than-deserving of their legendary status Bryn.

    You definitely wouldn't have found me at home on a Saturday night playing vinyl on my Dancette player back then.


  23. #22

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Quote Originally Posted by Forestjones View Post
    I stuck on Blondie's The Hunter a few days ago, for the first time in about 25 years. Sounds much better now than it did in '82.
    I've never actually listened to that all the way through. Getting it on now


  24. #23

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, The Dungeon, and the Beachcomber across town are more-than-deserving of their legendary status Bryn.

    You definitely wouldn't have found me at home on a Saturday night playing vinyl on my Dancette player back then.
    I've just looked up where The Dungeon was and realised that I used to go when it was The Club and later Venus. It had a long history of being a club, there has to be some great memories in here for you https://dungeonmods.wordpress.com


  25. #24
    Inequity & hypocrisy
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Nellingen-Ostfildern
    Posts
    2,306

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    I've just looked up where The Dungeon was and realised that I used to go when it was The Club and later Venus. It had a long history of being a club, there has to be some great memories in here for you https://dungeonmods.wordpress.com
    I never went when it was Venus but did go a few times when it was The Club, some interesting nights


  26. #25
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Dock Of The Bay, Bakersfield NG3.
    Posts
    14,671

    Default Re: Saturday Night Vinyl Selection....

    Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    I've just looked up where The Dungeon was and realised that I used to go when it was The Club and later Venus. It had a long history of being a club, there has to be some great memories in here for you https://dungeonmods.wordpress.com
    I was aware of that site Wes, but it still brings back a lot of memories nonetheless.

    Dungeon acts that I have the best recollection of are The Small Faces, The Isley Brothers, The Who, Stevie Wonder, Zoot Money, Don Covay, Martha & The Vandellas and The Kinks. The American acts, particularly those on Motown, were always most memorable for their well-drilled professionalism and tight playing of the backing musicians, irrespective of the fact that the place was tiny when compared with most of their venues back in the States and elsewhere.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •