Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    The Foam Hand

Default Re: The Great British Seaside.

Quote Originally Posted by congo_red View Post
    The Great British seaside, in my humble opinion, has suffered for many years at the hands of international travel, to locations which are seen as more glamorous and aspirational. This has become a self-fulfilling prophecy, with the resulting lack of investment .
    Aye, cheap flights to cheaper resorts with better weather.

We used to go to Devon a lot when we were kids, sometimes Norfolk and I still love those places.
    Bizarre to think places like Scarborough and Whitby were once gentrified and one of the reasons the Germans battleships bombed both resorts from the sea in WW1.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The Duchess

Sheringham, on the east coast, is a special place for me having spent my childhood family summer holidays there. Lots of memories.

I try and visit every year although this year itís not yet been possible. Maybe at the end of the month.

'Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings' - Salvador Dali 1904-1989

I think 'odd' is a good thing. Oddness shows originality, uniqueness and a desire to be different from the masses. Oddness is, maybe, only deemed 'odd' by the majority who are considered less odd but only by their own blinkered observations and understanding. Oddness should never be criticised but be encouraged to nurture, develop individualism and to explore the mind rather than conform to expectation and 'normality'. Many of the world's greatest works of art and prose were born from those minds many considered to be 'odd'.
    [/url]

Viv Anderson

I donít know where to start in this thread as I have opinions on a few places mentioned. Great thread idea though and some great points of view. Really love this forum sometimes.

13th Duke of Wybourne

Quote Originally Posted by Lefkasman View Post
    Fiver says he, ll be surfing down the canal in a month.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
    Paddle boarding.

"Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

Viv Anderson

My favorite thing about holidays in Britain is watching the rain lash down against the caravan windows for a week

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by alabamared View Post
    That's a bit of a blanket statement about the North West Coast I've had a few stays at this Hotel in Morecambe which is a nice place https://englishlakes.co.uk/the-midla...RoCeQsQAvD_BwE

Also very close to Blackpool is Lytham which is very nice with a wonderfully wild beach.

The Northumderland coast ha some great places.

Lyme Regis, Lovely place to holiday.

The Norfolk Coast, Sherringham, Cromer, Wells all nice places.

Sutton on Sea is nice for a quiet weekend.

There are loads of nice places I think you have just fixated on the bad ones.

It is a long time since I have been to Blackpool (went to see the White Stripes at the Winterland) and I must admit the folk in the streets looked like a bunch of extras from Shameless.
    I used to park up at morecambe now and again, there used to be a good drag club on the front where they were all good for a laugh, plus a little back street boozer where all the pro golf caddy, s would congregate and have some stories to tell.

The Foam Hand

Quote Originally Posted by alabamared View Post
    That's a bit of a blanket statement about the North West Coast I've had a few stays at this Hotel in Morecambe which is a nice place https://englishlakes.co.uk/the-midla...RoCeQsQAvD_BwE

Also very close to Blackpool is Lytham which is very nice with a wonderfully wild beach.

The Northumderland coast ha some great places.

Lyme Regis, Lovely place to holiday.

The Norfolk Coast, Sherringham, Cromer, Wells all nice places.

Sutton on Sea is nice for a quiet weekend.

There are loads of nice places I think you have just fixated on the bad ones.

It is a long time since I have been to Blackpool (went to see the White Stripes at the Winterland) and I must admit the folk in the streets looked like a bunch of extras from Shameless.
    Wells is one of my favourite places. Donít mind Sheringham either but wasnít keen on Hunstanton.

Can't Re Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joao CarvAndy!ho View Post
    Paddle boarding.

New paddleboard for me this week. Sold an inflatable last week (too many riff raff have them now) and gone solid. Off to a secret destination (Clue: rhymes with Manglesey) Friday for 9 nights to test it out.

Oh FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    The seaside was a magical place to go when you were kid.

Over the last 30yrs, (mainly due to work) I've witnessed a serious decline in them. Some have turned into proper 5hite holes.

Blackpool, Rhyl, Margate, to name but a few. The backstreets of Blackpool are very run down. Properties boarded up or derelict. Shops and B&Bs closing all the time.

Millions have been spent on the seafront, whilst the rest is decaying.

Anyone planning on going to Blackpool any time soon?

The Lincolnshire coast in comparison is paradise compared to the Northwest coast.
    I can't speak for the others but Margate is the same then, now and forever: a slightly shabby but pleasantly unprententious place for a reasonably priced knees-up. I'd be happy to live down there if there were some sort of gainful employment I could take.

Skeggy, by the way, went downhill the day that Panda's Palace closed down.

Viv Anderson

My holiday memories as a kid are mostly from Cornwall.
    Been here many times as an adult too, including camping every year since 2008.
    I'm there now. Only been here a few days but I don't see the overcrowding that some are reporting, but I won't be going to places like Newquay or Perranporth anyway, as they were always chavvy and overcrowded even when the pissheads and chavs had Benidorm to go to. That's a good thing as they concentrate them to a couple of towns and the rest of the county is largely free of them.

When I was with my ex we also went to Dorset and Devon a couple of times each. They were also very nice apart from the day we went to Paignton, which was horrible. Like Skeggy but with better weather, and by far the most aggressive gulls I've ever encountered. They dive bombed us as soon as we left an ice cream stall. It was like a ****hcock movie.

I wouldn't go to Blackpool or Skegness if you paid me.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Bonalair View Post

New paddleboard for me this week. Sold an inflatable last week (too many riff raff have them now) and gone solid. Off to a secret destination (Clue: rhymes with Manglesey) Friday for 9 nights to test it out.
    That looks nice. Lots of love, The Riff Raff.

Where's me hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbus View Post
    My holiday memories as a kid are mostly from Cornwall.
    Been here many times as an adult too, including camping every year since 2008.
    I'm there now. Only been here a few days but I don't see the overcrowding that some are reporting, but I won't be going to places like Newquay or Perranporth anyway, as they were always chavvy and overcrowded even when the pissheads and chavs had Benidorm to go to. That's a good thing as they concentrate them to a couple of towns and the rest of the county is largely free of them.

When I was with my ex we also went to Dorset and Devon a couple of times each. They were also very nice apart from the day we went to Paignton, which was horrible. Like Skeggy but with better weather, and by far the most aggressive gulls I've ever encountered. They dive bombed us as soon as we left an ice cream stall. It was like a ****hcock movie.

I wouldn't go to Blackpool or Skegness if you paid me.

We went to the sea life centre thing yesterday on the front at Newquay, Newquay werent as bad as what I expected it to be nor was it as busy. Walking round in the day you can see it has the potential to be a bit chavvy. The kids wanted to do a beach so we went to one near St Austall, was dead. Calyon bay or summat like that. Had two teenagers laugh at my 4 year old daughter for falling over and cutting her knees quite bad, they were proper openly mocking her which I found real strange, you dont get that shite standard of people even in Skeg.

Other than that we are enjoying Cornwall so far as a first trip down here in just shy of 25 years.

Any places you'd recommend beaches or otherwise? Like you we dont want the chavvy bits, we only went to Newquay to see what it's all about but mainly for the sea life centre as it's good for the kids to learn stuff like that

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    We went to the sea life centre thing yesterday on the front at Newquay, Newquay werent as bad as what I expected it to be nor was it as busy. Walking round in the day you can see it has the potential to be a bit chavvy. The kids wanted to do a beach so we went to one near St Austall, was dead. Calyon bay or summat like that. Had two teenagers laugh at my 4 year old daughter for falling over and cutting her knees quite bad, they were proper openly mocking her which I found real strange, you dont get that shite standard of people even in Skeg.

Other than that we are enjoying Cornwall so far as a first trip down here in just shy of 25 years.

Any places you'd recommend beaches or otherwise? Like you we dont want the chavvy bits, we only went to Newquay to see what it's all about but mainly for the sea life centre as it's good for the kids to learn stuff like that

Where are you staying?

Where's me hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbus View Post
    Where are you staying?

Inbetween St Austall and Newquay I suppose is best to describe it

First Team

Carlyon bay

There used to be a big club on the beach there- had all the big attractions on. Canít remember the name of it now, but someone on here will remember ( lookin at you Rocka)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your palms are holding her neck and thumbs are at her ears regulating the speed of her head as she swallows and then sucks up your machinery. She is topping up your engine oil for the cross-country coming up. Your RPM is hitting a new high. To wait any longer would be to lose prime time... She picks up a Bugatti's momentum. You want her more at a Volkswagen's steady trot. Squeeze the maximum mileage out of your gallon of gas. But she's eating up the road with all cylinders blazing.

Aniruddha Bahal (Bunker 13

Viv Anderson

Ah Whiteacres. Yeah I used to go there in the 90s.
    It's not what I want now but the entertainment in tbe evening there was quality for families back then.

On the north coast you've got places like Porth just outside Newquay. Big beach but not much else there so might not be too crowded. Porthtowan and Porthtrearh are small towns with beaches.
    I was being slightly harsh on Perranporth, avoid the pub on the beach and you'll be fine.
    The sealife centre is actually good in Newquay but parking can be a nightmare.

On the south coast there's a tiny place called Goran Haven with a beach, and a chippy and a cafe. I like it there.
    Another small beach at Porthpean. Might get busy but I wouldn't have thought many know about it.
    Par beach. Big beach shouldn't be crowded.

Francis Benali (on loan)

We've ruined most our seaside towns by sticking amusement arcades and fairgrounds rides on them. Thought about moving to Brighton once, and that was the reason I didn't.

What's the biggest town or city in Britain with a nice beach without the tack?

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    We've ruined most our seaside towns by sticking amusement arcades and fairgrounds rides on them. Thought about moving to Brighton once, and that was the reason I didn't.

I remember when they first put an amusement arcade in whitby there was a real outcry.
    Think you have to head for the west coast of Scotland now to get away from the tat. Northumberland is nice as well.

Viv Anderson

That's one of the reasons I like Cornwall. Not many places down here are like that.

Viv Anderson

Sunderland?

Where's me hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Pope View Post
    Carlyon bay

There used to be a big club on the beach there- had all the big attractions on. Canít remember the name of it now, but someone on here will remember ( lookin at you Rocka)

Thats the one, all gone now it was just rocks

First Team

Thats the one, all gone now it was just rocks

There used to be an old shipwreck on the beach too. It was used in some films

Viv Anderson

When me and the ex started coming down here about a dozen years ago, Carlyon Bay was the closest beach to our campsite so we went there a few times.
    There were the temporary fences you get around building sites snd posters up with artist's impressions of what the new development was going to be like. Guess it never got built then.

The 100 steps down and up between the car park and beach were loads of fun with a bag full of beach paraphernalia.

Viv Anderson

https://en.tripadvisor.com.hk/ShowUs...n_Islands.html
    Sadly it happens everywhere. Porto Katsiki one of the most stunning beaches in Europe now ruined by tourism and sunbeds.

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Yates View Post
    My favorite thing about holidays in Britain is watching the rain lash down against the caravan windows for a week
    I told me missus I refuse to go anywhere but the south coast and Norfolk now. We’ve been to Devon these past 2 years and in fairness we’ve had glorious weather. We used to do north wales and it was dreary as feck.