Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 69 of 69

Thread: Mbaye Diagne

  1. #51
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,113

    Default Re: Mbaye Diagne

    7 millions euros? Have we even got 7 beans to pay them at the moment?


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #52
    It's all about mid-table...
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wetherspoons
    Posts
    20,364

    Default Re: Mbaye Diagne

    Quote Originally Posted by valspoodle View Post
    7 millions euros? Have we even got 7 beans to pay them at the moment?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycjhqN4LTq4

    Reminds me of our nation


  4. #53
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    11,866

    Default Re: Mbaye Diagne

    This lad is on his way to WBA after scoring 11 in 19 (goal every 105 minutes played) this season. You just know if he'd come here in the summer he'd have played about 20 minutes since the start of the season and been written off as shit.


  5. #54

    Default Re: Mbaye Diagne

    Quote Originally Posted by Heffing Psycho! View Post
    This lad is on his way to WBA after scoring 11 in 19 (goal every 105 minutes played) this season. You just know if he'd come here in the summer he'd have played about 20 minutes since the start of the season and been written off as shit.
    Last year I think you would have had an army backing you up with claims like this.

    This year I think most posters, readers & fans have woken up to the fact that it's fairly untrue, and that concerns about our recruitment methods were valid for the most part.

    If you're gonna carry around the butthurt about being wrong in your staunch defense of recruitment all last year with you, you're gonna be hurting for a long time mate.


  6. #55
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    11,866

    Default Re: Mbaye Diagne

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    Last year I think you would have had an army backing you up with claims like this.

    This year I think most posters, readers & fans have woken up to the fact that it's fairly untrue, and that concerns about our recruitment methods were valid for the most part.

    If you're gonna carry around the butthurt about being wrong in your staunch defense of recruitment all last year with you, you're gonna be hurting for a long time mate.
    Don't think what I said there is untrue or unfair is it? Players get written off here far too soon, I wasn't making a point about the recruitment you're the one who has brought it up again


  7. #56
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    11,866

    Default Re: Mbaye Diagne

    Also I think I'm entitled to reply by saying I'm not "butthurt" personally I think I've always been pretty fair when it comes to the success and failings of the recruitment perhaps I've been more on the lenient side but I certainly don't think there are many examples of me staunchly defending it, however I will concede I have defended Modesto because I think he should be subject to the same allowance of time as I believe a manager or head coach should be afforded that's all.

    I thought most of the signings we made in Summer 2019 were good ones, I know you disagree and think the only reason we got so high up the table was because of Lamouchi but I give some credit to the likes of Samba, Sow, Ribeiro, Silva, Ameobi and I think Chema was a good signing too despite how it ended with him. I don't believe Mir or Semedo really got the chance to show what they could do, Semedo especially seems to be doing alright this season in a team much higher than us. But I think I was fair and criticised some of the loan signings we made that summer and especially in January even despite the reports at the time that Diakhaby was Lamouchi's choice. I don't think the recruitment last season was anywhere near as bad as it has turned out to be this season though mainly because of the wages I fear we're dropping on the likes of Arter, Colback and Freeman when players like Bachirou and I'm sorry to say Carvalho could've done as much as they have on what is likely a fraction of the wage but I'm not gonna start being overly critical because I was as excited as the next guy to see Arter and Freeman come through the doors, hindsight is 20-20 as they say.

    So all said and done you may think I've staunchly defended the recruitment but I disagree, I think you've just been a lot more critical than I have which is fine, I just hope you'll remain consistent with that and call out what you think is shit recruitment if and when Hughton makes some mistakes down the line. I'll remain consistent and stick to my belief that a manager picking the players isn't the route to long term success in football anymore, doesn't mean I'm right and it doesn't mean I wont accept what Hughton is doing or praise him when we make a good signing.


  8. #57

    Default Re: Mbaye Diagne

    Quote Originally Posted by Heffing Psycho! View Post
    Don't think what I said there is untrue or unfair is it? Players get written off here far too soon, I wasn't making a point about the recruitment you're the one who has brought it up again
    My bad there then chap, apologies.

    But regards players getting written off quickly, that IMO is down to the culture Marinakis & Vrentroz have created themselves.

    The majority of players & managers have 6 months here most before being moved on. Fans have to be quick to judge, or they're gone.


  9. #58
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    11,866

    Default Re: Mbaye Diagne

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    My bad there then chap, apologies.

    But regards players getting written off quickly, that IMO is down to the culture Marinakis & Vrentroz have created themselves.

    The majority of players & managers have 6 months here most before being moved on. Fans have to be quick to judge, or they're gone.
    Yeah maybe but I think it predates them even, I'm not necessarily saying it's exclusive to Forest supporters but I do think it's gotten worse.


  10. #59
    Upper Decker
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In acres of space
    Posts
    42,373

    Default Re: Mbaye Diagne

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    But regards players getting written off quickly, that IMO is down to the culture Marinakis & Vrentroz have created themselves.
    Behave. Fans have always been like that. What was the excuse before EM and co arrived?

    THE TRUTH IS THERE AND WITH IT I GO TO THE END OF THE WORLD .

  11. #60
    Massive Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    On Tour
    Posts
    24,687

    Default Re: Mbaye Diagne

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    Behave. Fans have always been like that. What was the excuse before EM and co arrived?
    "Fawaz signings"

    "Marthur"


  12. #61
    Best served cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cliftonia
    Posts
    25,423

    Default Re: Mbaye Diagne

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    Behave. Fans have always been like that. What was the excuse before EM and co arrived?
    I remember at half time on Nicky Shorey's debut there were fans saying he should be sent back to WBA. It's nothing to do with a "culture" the current owners have created. It's the standard time honoured tradition of fickle football fans.

    Football fans like to be quick to judge and then accept no responsibility for it. "It's not my fault I slagged a player off because he didn't come from Peterborough - the owners made me do it even though it fits the pre-conceived criticisms I had ready and waiting."


    We're all like it to be fair.

    "I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers

  13. #62
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    out west
    Posts
    18,896

    Default Re: Mbaye Diagne

    Quote Originally Posted by incapable hulk View Post
    I remember at half time on Nicky Shorey's debut there were fans saying he should be sent back to WBA. It's nothing to do with a "culture" the current owners have created. It's the standard time honoured tradition of fickle football fans.

    Football fans like to be quick to judge and then accept no responsibility for it. "It's not my fault I slagged a player off because he didn't come from Peterborough - the owners made me do it even though it fits the pre-conceived criticisms I had ready and waiting."


    We're all like it to be fair.
    They waited 'til half-time? How things have change, eh?

    EXACT SAME BENEFITS

  14. #63
    Youth Team
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Kimberley
    Posts
    241

    Default Re: Mbaye Diagne

    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    "Fawaz signings"

    "Marthur"

    Yes, how is that Transfer Acquisition Panel?


  15. #64
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chester
    Posts
    10,400

    Default Re: Mbaye Diagne

    Quote Originally Posted by Heffing Psycho! View Post
    Also I think I'm entitled to reply by saying I'm not "butthurt" personally I think I've always been pretty fair when it comes to the success and failings of the recruitment perhaps I've been more on the lenient side but I certainly don't think there are many examples of me staunchly defending it, however I will concede I have defended Modesto because I think he should be subject to the same allowance of time as I believe a manager or head coach should be afforded that's all.

    I thought most of the signings we made in Summer 2019 were good ones, I know you disagree and think the only reason we got so high up the table was because of Lamouchi but I give some credit to the likes of Samba, Sow, Ribeiro, Silva, Ameobi and I think Chema was a good signing too despite how it ended with him. I don't believe Mir or Semedo really got the chance to show what they could do, Semedo especially seems to be doing alright this season in a team much higher than us. But I think I was fair and criticised some of the loan signings we made that summer and especially in January even despite the reports at the time that Diakhaby was Lamouchi's choice. I don't think the recruitment last season was anywhere near as bad as it has turned out to be this season though mainly because of the wages I fear we're dropping on the likes of Arter, Colback and Freeman when players like Bachirou and I'm sorry to say Carvalho could've done as much as they have on what is likely a fraction of the wage but I'm not gonna start being overly critical because I was as excited as the next guy to see Arter and Freeman come through the doors, hindsight is 20-20 as they say.

    So all said and done you may think I've staunchly defended the recruitment but I disagree, I think you've just been a lot more critical than I have which is fine, I just hope you'll remain consistent with that and call out what you think is shit recruitment if and when Hughton makes some mistakes down the line. I'll remain consistent and stick to my belief that a manager picking the players isn't the route to long term success in football anymore, doesn't mean I'm right and it doesn't mean I wont accept what Hughton is doing or praise him when we make a good signing.
    Heffing you are overrating the players though, if the best players we have signed are Sow, Ribeiro, Samba, Ameobi and Silva than thats the point. They are okay signings and Ribiero and Ameobi are great value for money but we need better than that. Where is our Behrahmia? Where is our Pukki? Where is our Buendia? Where is our Vydra? Where is our Jack Harrison?

    Not one of the signings have been top notch quality and we have had some absolute duds. So overall its not good enough for a promotion winning side. The best chance we have is a manager getting more out of a team than its quality and that is extremely hard and requires a good manager. I think Hughton has it in him but I dont think recruitment is promotion standard at all. Thats the point everyone misses, where are our superstars that we buy than sell on for profit or to get us into the premier league?


  16. #65
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    11,866

    Default Re: Mbaye Diagne

    Quote Originally Posted by EmmersonForest4 View Post
    Heffing you are overrating the players though, if the best players we have signed are Sow, Ribeiro, Samba, Ameobi and Silva than thats the point. They are okay signings and Ribiero and Ameobi are great value for money but we need better than that. Where is our Behrahmia? Where is our Pukki? Where is our Buendia? Where is our Vydra? Where is our Jack Harrison?

    Not one of the signings have been top notch quality and we have had some absolute duds. So overall its not good enough for a promotion winning side. The best chance we have is a manager getting more out of a team than its quality and that is extremely hard and requires a good manager. I think Hughton has it in him but I dont think recruitment is promotion standard at all. Thats the point everyone misses, where are our superstars that we buy than sell on for profit or to get us into the premier league?
    Well obviously I don't think I am overrating them do I? I still think our best starting XI was easily good enough for top 6 last season and that includes Samba, Ribeiro, Sow, Silva and Ameobi, we just didn't have the strength in depth and the mentality crumbled in the end. As for these superstars you've listed, all have signed for teams who gave their head of recruitment or DoF or whatever you want to call them time and space to develop a proper recruitment strategy, we scrap ours every season because there's no patience, let's hope this time Hughton is afforded the time and space to find these superstars.


  17. #66
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chester
    Posts
    10,400

    Default Re: Mbaye Diagne

    Quote Originally Posted by Heffing Psycho! View Post
    Well obviously I don't think I am overrating them do I? I still think our best starting XI was easily good enough for top 6 last season and that includes Samba, Ribeiro, Sow, Silva and Ameobi, we just didn't have the strength in depth and the mentality crumbled in the end. As for these superstars you've listed, all have signed for teams who gave their head of recruitment or DoF or whatever you want to call them time and space to develop a proper recruitment strategy, we scrap ours every season because there's no patience, let's hope this time Hughton is afforded the time and space to find these superstars.
    Not true though as Webber came in the season Norwich got promoted and yes Brentford DOF has had time but they have had a long string of fantastic additions not just Behrahmia. I dont think any team with Ameobi as a starter can seriously call themselves a top 6 quality side Im sorry I dont. All the attacking stats has him as an extremely average winger for the championship he should have been a bench player in a top 6 side.

    As for why we were where we were it wasnt those players we signed it was Grabban, Lolley and Worrall which are before Modesto. Dont get me wrong Ribeiro, Silva, Sow supported well but they werent stars. The weird one for me is Samba pre lockdown he was one of the best keepers around but since the return of the first lockdown he has made so many mistakes so for me jury is out on whether he is a promotion standard player. He looked like he had that in him but since March last year I cant seriously put him in that bracket.

    By the way I havent said the recruitment are poor persay I am judging them on the basis of getting us promoted which they have done poor at but in the championship if you compare to other sides they have been solid however we dont want to be solid championship we want promotion so depends how you set your expectations. As for time though yes you make a good point but when does it become acceptable to say they are average than?

    Last edited by EmmersonForest4; 27-01-21 at 18:44.

  18. #67
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    11,866

    Default Re: Mbaye Diagne

    Quote Originally Posted by EmmersonForest4 View Post
    Not true though as Webber came in the season Norwich got promoted and yes Brentford DOF has had time but they have had a long string of fantastic additions not just Behrahmia. I dont think any team with Ameobi as a starter can seriously call themselves a top 6 quality side Im sorry I dont. All the attacking stats has him as an extremely average winger for the championship he should have been a bench player in a top 6 side.

    As for why we were where we were it wasnt those players we signed it was Grabban, Lolley and Worrall which are before Modesto. Dont get me wrong Ribeiro, Silva, Sow supported well but they werent stars. The weird one for me is Samba pre lockdown he was one of the best keepers around but since the return of the first lockdown he has made so many mistakes so for me jury is out on whether he is a promotion standard player. He looked like he had that in him but since March last year I cant seriously put him in that bracket.

    By the way I havent said the recruitment are poor persay I am judging them on the basis of getting us promoted which they have done poor at but in the championship if you compare to other sides they have been solid however we dont want to be solid championship we want promotion so depends how you set your expectations. As for time though yes you make a good point but when does it become acceptable to say they are average than?
    Webber had already been there and done it with Huddersfield he's also left to do his job at Norwich by business people who know they shouldn't interfere. Last season Ameobi had 5 goals and 9 assists, maybe not at the levels of Benrahma but better numbers than any winger Fulham had and they went up, again strength in depth hurt us we could've done with another couple of players with his numbers and we did try and sign Grosicki, he chose to go to WBA instead and we got stuck with Diakhaby.

    Samba was Championship keeper of the season and Silva and Sow were a better midfield partnership than anything we've got this season.

    It's fine if you think that Modesto and whoever else haven't done well enough, ultimately they haven't because we haven't been promoted but I think that method of recruitment deserved more time and less interference, it wasn't, it's been scrapped and now Hughton has control, hopefully he'll get the time and do a better job.


  19. #68

    Default Re: Mbaye Diagne

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    Behave. Fans have always been like that. What was the excuse before EM and co arrived?
    True, some have. But I know I've definitely changed my POV with how they operate in mind.

    Every player I see us acquire, and every manager we employ, I'm well aware has minimal time to impress. So I judge them accordingly with that in mind.

    Reading comments from others on here, I think they think similar. But I might be wrong though.


  20. #69
    They see me trollin'
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6,826

    Default Re: Mbaye Diagne

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    My bad there then chap, apologies.

    But regards players getting written off quickly, that IMO is down to the culture Marinakis & Vrentroz have created themselves.

    The majority of players & managers have 6 months here most before being moved on. Fans have to be quick to judge, or they're gone.
    It's been like this for at least 10 years, its not just happened recently.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •