Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    The Sun Always Shines On

Default Re: Your Fave Games & Opinions/Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Was it? I stand corrected.
    I think so. I played all three of them to death round my mate Carl's back in the day.

Classic beat em ups.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The Revenge of Shinobi - Megadrive

When I purchased my Megadrive it came witha free copy of Altered Beast, and alongside that I also bought ROS with it too. It was a day I'll never forget. Popping the cart into my newly aquired "16-bit powerhouse", that short but oh so sweet intro just absolutely fucking blew my fucking mind. Thunder, lightening, shurikens, ninjas and a rocking sound track......all thrown at you in the first 10 seconds. My jaw dropped and the Megadrive had arrived. I was a SEGA fanboy anyway, but this made me fall in love with them even more. ROS was the only game throughout my entire 16-bit era which I never swapped, sold or loaned out. Other games cycled back & forth, even the classics, but this one just had that special something. In fact I thrived on it so much that when I had to do a book review in English, I decided to be a cheeky twat and reviewed the instruction manual.

And so we return to it. Nothing's changed how I feel about this game. Even with years of hurt & bitterness now rooted deep in my core nothing can douse the thrive which ROS's purity brings. It's just such a complete package, and it rarely makes any missteps. You're greeted by perfectly weighted gameplay, an incredible balance of platforming and fighting action, and all that all complemented superbly with clever item/secret placement to ensure that you're always on your toes. The magic system also adds a great layer of RPG-style depth to the game, with each power having genuine uses, and creating an entire new layer to some levels & situations.

And the level design is simply amazing, with the game constantly throwing new things at you in an exciting & interesting way that doesn't jar one jot. Your journey REALLY feels like a journey, each stage is unique & almost perfectly designed exuding it's own character. You jump around waterfalls, fight in disco's, ride on the top of trains & nuclear missiles, traverse a puzzling maze etc. etc., it's just fucking flat out fantastic as no two levels are the same. And as you undertake your journey you are accompanied by some of THE most rocking tunes to have ever hit any system. The music here sticks it's wet tongue in your ear, nibbles at your lobe, rams a hand down your pants and strokes your shaft to ejac. And then there's also those bosses and that lush pop-culture tie in. The Terminator, Godzilla, Batman, Spiderman, Rambo etc. they're all in there (well in the original version of the game, not the censored one.) and each one feels unique & top notch. There's just so much creamy goodness crammed in there.

If I had to lay any criticisms at it's door it'd be that it's general overall pacing is 3rd gear, which may not suit some, and that it leans too much on enemy & stage memorization at times. It can also, on very rare occasions, feel like you're trying to beat the game's system & not the game itself (e.g. one enemy lowers his sword when you duck, and it feels cheap exploiting that from a higher level). But those faults are barely noticeable to me.

The whole game absolutely screams quality. It's a master-crafted piece of work, and stands up there with the best of them. It may be a bit too slow paced for some, but I don't think many will resist it's charms even to this day. Anyway, you want it in your collection, trust me!

5/5

Phantasy Star 4 - Megadrive

PS4 is a game I would have undoubtedly had down as an all time classic before replaying it. I must have finished it at least a dozen times as a kid, and I was really excited about returning to it. I've even stated on here that it was a "classic" too.

So it wasn't anywhere near as good as I remember it. In fact it was way, way simpler & emptier than I remember too. Starting with the positives it's easy to see why I fell for it originally. It has three key pillars of strength that really carry it - great presentation, mint characters & a well told, fairly interesting story.

The cut-scenes are shit-hot, and appear often enough to be enjoyable, yet are spaced out enough to leave you wanting more. The story itself is fairly stock, but the finer details of the story, certain events, and the way it ties together the PS series' history are all bang on. And for me personally the characters are top notch too. 6 of the 10 available really appealed to me, and the dynamic between characters (cocky magician, old fart with bad humour, badass bitch who takes no shit etc.) works great too. These cornerstones of the game make it easy to see why I was so enamoured by it back in the day.

Now the combat's somewhere in the middle. It's turn based & interesting with a combo system adding some depth, but the trouble is the way battles are setup often means a standard attack is the best way to deal with things. You're given a ton of techniques & specials, but half the time most are useless, or not as cost-effective as using an attack then healing. Battles are way to frequent too, and it becomes annoying fast. But with that said there is some fun to be had there, and it's a least a bit challenging. Also The music is a bit hit & miss, but when it hit it really hits, and the way it is used really conveys the atmosphere superbly at times.

But overall the game's just SO simple & shallow. Each village is essentially a hub for resting & upgrading weapons and little else, as it rarely deviates from a formulaic "travel-rest & upgrade-dungeon-travel-rest & upgrade-dungeon" formula, and ends up feeling repetitive & lacking. The absence of secrets & hidden extras in RPG areas really hurts it too. You look at FF4 & every village felt like it could hold something valuable, and they often did. With this the only thing to search for half the time is more dialogue, and searching generally yields few worthwhile rewards. There are side-quests, but they are few & far between, and not really that interesting anyway.

Overall it's actually reflective of modern "RPGs" which rely too heavily on cut-scenes to carry a formulaic, shallow set of RPG mechanics. I thought of PS4 as one of the reasons I was drawn into RPG's, but on reflection it's probably actually one of the reasons I sought out the likes of Baldur's Gate & PC gaming instead.

Not awful, but no real fun either, the excessive battle frequency ground me down, and overall it's certainly not the classic I thought it was. A good, well story with some great characters bogged down by formulaic, shallow game.

Gutted.

:3/5:

Street Fighter - Arcade

We all know of SF2 & it's world changing legacy, but this is where it all began. Not only was this first recognised fighting game to use the concept of "special moves", but the delux version of the game also featured pressure-sensitive rubber pads, which determine the strength and speed of the player's attacks based on how hard they were pressed. I never got chance to play it in the arcade so, after years of playing other games in the series in various guises, this was a game I was very intrigued to play.

Well I was surprised just how much of the foundation for the later entries could be found there already. Pretty much all the basics of Ryu's movement, attacks and special moves are included, as is the general overall combat setup - weak punch, strong puch, dragon punch, hadoken, jump kicks, blocks etc. 80-90% of what SF2 was built on. And that also extends to the presentation & fluff which surround the game, such as bonus games, flying around the world, and pre-match Vs screens etc.

But boy is it shit. I mean, there is a bit of fun to be had, but it's a far, far cry from it's sequel, and it is just a bad game.

See it totally lacks any of the tightness or precision which the series is known for, and combat is a real mess. Button bashing and spamming special moves are the only real way to progress, and the only way to play the game. Trying to play strategically & in a more considered fashion goes straight out the window because so many aspects of the combat are so poorly executed. You can have a bit of fun with said bashing and spamming, but this highlights what a really, really fucking archaic game it is.

And everything's also so out of balance too. Weak attacks barely touch the enemy, but special moves absolutely decimate an opponent. Movement, and jumping in particular, is horrid, and the whole package end up being pretty rank. On a final note, Sagat is one of the hardest, most skanky bosses I've played against in a long time too.

Playing this is like waking up after shagging a fat bird with a big tash. An inevitable battle between your senses, where the majority of them are saying "spew up, scrub & clean up", but a handful of the most base ones are saying "meh, had a bit if fun with that!"

2/5

Massive Member

Need more of them in the team

The Secret of Monkey Island - PC

^Yes! Look how comical that daft bucket face & dummy's in the back look.

Magical. That's the word which for me encompasses the vibe of this lush game. How it manages to mix so much sillyness & humour, with such a grand sense of adventure & wonder is superb, whether your swagging gut burning grog at the Scumm Barr, or friggin in the riggin, the game's humour & vibe make solving puzzles a pleasure. And that even extends to when they're frustrating, because even though you're getting nowhere it's still fun getting nowhere.

The puzzles themselves are mostly great. And so many of them require a different approach, and come from an original angle, that this just keeps the whole game stupidly fresh throughout. Yeah there's some odd & obscure ones, but overall you're getting mostly quality.

And the dialogue is just fucking bang on too and what really makes the game. It gets SO much right. Something which it does particularly brilliantly is give you dialogue choices which encourage you to be a nob head. It's just great seeing the options & thinking "well, if I select that one it''ll probably get me further, but I'll say this other one instead just to be a bellend". Mint stuff. There's some genuine LOL moments, and some incredibly brilliantly playful writing all round.

But for me there's a definite dip with pacing in the middle act, and a bit too much space between dialogue interactions in the final part too. The 3 trials & Melee Island I absolutely loved, and the finale is fantastic, but getting to Monkey Island was a bit dull and not particularly funny when compared to the rest of the game. The lack of banter in this section, and on Monkey Island where there are fewer characters to talk to, do make it drag a tad.

It's an undoubted classic which I love, but I have to be honest & say that I'd happily skip a good 20-30% of it in that middle act of the game when it starts to drag too. I want to give it a 5 because of the connection I have with it, but if I'm being brutally honest I'd have to give it a 4 because of said dip.

Flawed brilliance.

4/5

Now let's talk about the Special Editions.

The SEs get SO much wrong it's scary. Firstly there's the awful interface which makes it way more awkward than the original, and some puzzles become really annoying to solve. It's incredible just how horribly cumbersome it makes the whole thing.

Secondly, it totally KILLS some of the humour dead. Various gags don't work half as well when spoken, and some of the visuals are COMPLETELY fucked up. Some examples:

*When you fight Captain Smirk, the duelling dummy's have angled eyebrows, and thus evil looks on their faces. Not the daft, happy-fun faces in the original. Which totally kills the "hi! I'm about to get stabbed & I am happy about it!" vibe.

*The parrot in the original is tiny, & looks totally none-threatening. In this it's far bigger, with a punk look, making it seem more aggressive. And that totally kills the "scared of a wimpy parrot" gag.

There's fuckloads more throughout, and it's an absolute butchery of the original game. Real amateur stuff. The additions in the SE are a significant burden on the classic, and absolutely no way to experience the game at all.

2/5

^NO! Look how fucking stupidly shit the same bucket & dummy's look now. Absolutely no sense of stupidy or fun at all. Fucking wank.

Last edited by Alf-engelos Mindminackers; 25-10-20 at 12:03.

Massive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    The Secret of Monkey Island - PC

^Yes! Look how comical that daft bucket face & dummy's in the back look.

Magical. That's the word which for me encompasses the vibe of this lush game. How it manages to mix so much sillyness & humour, with such a grand sense of adventure & wonder is superb, whether your swagging gut burning grog at the Scumm Barr, or friggin in the riggin, the game's humour & vibe make solving puzzles a pleasure. And that even extends to when they're frustrating, because even though you're getting nowhere it's still fun getting nowhere.

The puzzles themselves are mostly great. And so many of them require a different approach, and come from an original angle, that this just keeps the whole game stupidly fresh throughout. Yeah there's some odd & obscure ones, but overall you're getting mostly quality.

And the dialogue is just fucking bang on too and what really makes the game. It gets SO much right. Something which it does particularly brilliantly is give you dialogue choices which encourage you to be a nob head. It's just great seeing the options & thinking "well, if I select that one it''ll probably get me further, but I'll say this other one instead just to be a bellend". Mint stuff. There's some genuine LOL moments, and some incredibly brilliantly playful writing all round.

But for me there's a definite dip with pacing in the middle act, and a bit too much space between dialogue interactions in the final part too. The 3 trials & Melee Island I absolutely loved, and the finale is fantastic, but getting to Monkey Island was a bit dull and not particularly funny when compared to the rest of the game. The lack of banter in this section, and on Monkey Island where there are fewer characters to talk to, do make it drag a tad.

It's an undoubted classic which I love, but I have to be honest & say that I'd happily skip a good 20-30% of it in that middle act of the game when it starts to drag too. I want to give it a 5 because of the connection I have with it, but if I'm being brutally honest I'd have to give it a 4 because of said dip.

Flawed brilliance.

4/5

Now let's talk about the Special Editions.

The SEs get SO much wrong it's scary. Firstly there's the awful interface which makes it way more awkward than the original, and some puzzles become really annoying to solve. It's incredible just how horribly cumbersome it makes the whole thing.

Secondly, it totally KILLS some of the humour dead. Various gags don't work half as well when spoken, and some of the visuals are COMPLETELY fucked up. Some examples:

*When you fight Captain Smirk, the duelling dummy's have angled eyebrows, and thus evil looks on their faces. Not the daft, happy-fun faces in the original. Which totally kills the "hi! I'm about to get stabbed & I am happy about it!" vibe.

*The parrot in the original is tiny, & looks totally none-threatening. In this it's far bigger, with a punk look, making it seem more aggressive. And that totally kills the "scared of a wimpy parrot" gag.

There's fuckloads more throughout, and it's an absolute butchery of the original game. Real amateur stuff. The additions in the SE are a significant burden on the classic, and absolutely no way to experience the game at all.

2/5

^NO! Look how fucking stupidly shit the same bucket & dummy's look now. Absolutely no sense of stupidy or fun at all. Fucking wank.
    Completely agree with all of that mate.

My mum kept all of my school books from primary school and there are quite a few entry's on the Monday about how far I had got in the game. I loved it that much.

I completed the sequel last week, I still prefer it to the first as the story never really dips like it does when you are on the ship in the second. I'm still yet to work out the randomness of adding stuff to the pot in the galley.

The special addition got about 3 minutes of play for me, it doesn't add anything worthwhile and loses the charm of the first.

Look behind you! A three headed monkey!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Completely agree with all of that mate.

My mum kept all of my school books from primary school and there are quite a few entry's on the Monday about how far I had got in the game. I loved it that much.

I completed the sequel last week, I still prefer it to the first as the story never really dips like it does when you are on the ship in the second. I'm still yet to work out the randomness of adding stuff to the pot in the galley.

The special addition got about 3 minutes of play for me, it doesn't add anything worthwhile and loses the charm of the first.

Look behind you! A three headed monkey!
    That's fucking ace journaling your progression!

Massive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    That's fucking ace journaling your progression!
    I'll have to find them again. I drew all the characters underneath the stories too. I was obsessed. Before I worked out how to beat the swordmaster I was convinced there would be some sort of secret inside her house and you'd get her fancy gold sword.

Are you going to review the second and third? Looking forward to seeing your thoughts on it if so.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    I'll have to find them again. I drew all the characters underneath the stories too. I was obsessed. Before I worked out how to beat the swordmaster I was convinced there would be some sort of secret inside her house and you'd get her fancy gold sword.

Are you going to review the second and third? Looking forward to seeing your thoughts on it if so.
    Ha, yeah those type of games really let your imagination run wild. The promise of where it could take you was enticing esp as a kid.

Defo mate. Gonna play through them all over the next few weeks. Already started the 2nd one

Sorry Carlos, thought it was OK but it disappointed me overall.......

MONKEY ISLAND 2: LE CHUCKS REVENGE - PC

^Does Guybrush give you the horn?

Arrrrr!! Another hearty return to the MI series! Sail away with me as we hit the high seas of adventure again!

Starting with the positives it feels more fleshed out & grander than the original. The presentation is lush and it also sets thing up nicely, with Guybrush still trying to prove himself post Lechuck, and folk sick of his story more than an Alf Billy/Carvalho/Recruitment debate. A real cool way to kick things off. The whole game & vibe is more grounded than the first game too, and it keeps it fresh and works in context of a new adventure.

It does occasionally hit that sweet spot of brilliant humour which the original did too, and when it does it's fucking brilliant. About halfway through I entered the Governor's mansion, and the conversation options were piss funny. For a few brief moments I was loving it, and it felt up there with the heights of the original. But this served to sadly highlight how few and far between such great dialogue is overall.

See the whole thing just feels way more padded out, and flows way worse than the original too. There are fewer laughs, and it misses a lot of opportunities for good banter. For example, when you tell the game host that you don't gamble, there's no slur or piss-taking about being a coward or fanny, it's just played straight & dull.

There's also far less bread crumbs leading up to the puzzles, and I solved way more through trial and error than through actually thinking them through. Some of the actions which you are required to undertake to progress are particularly bizarre & just feel skanky tbh. In fact overall the puzzles, and game itself, feels a bit lazy and sequel-esq. And then there's the ending, which again just gave me that feeling of "we really can't be bothered anymore".

It has it's moments, I don't think it's a bad game at all, just a very average & disappointing one which was just too chore-like for me, and struck up no connection what so ever when compared to the original.

3/5

Massive Member

In all fairness I didn't enjoy the ending. Although it is a nod to another franchise in LucasArts.

Perhaps I've overlooked the puzzle aspect as I've played through the game countless amounts of times, so done each puzzle in various different ways.

I'm struggling to get the 3rd game working on my laptop, but I would probably get a bollocking for sitting on my arse playing games all day when I should be packing stuff.