Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Alex Mighten

Senior doom Monger

Default Re: Alex Mighten

Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    This extra mobility thing with Taylor is a total red herring, running about alot really does get you kudos at Forest.

We need goals, Taylor isnt scoring them. Is he assuming better goal scoring positions, doing better work with his back to goal or teeing up anyone else more effectively. Nope.

Murrays a seasoned pro, he'll have a better idea than anyone on effective movement.
    The trouble with Murray's movement is that his zimmer frame makes it all a bit predictable.
    As for Taylor not scoring, as I have suggested before there are 3 factors stopping him at the moment:
    1 He may be match fit, but he isn't match sharp;
    2 He has at most 10 to 15 minutes in some games, and it is pretty difficult as a striker to prove one can score with such little consistent game time
    3 He seems to be being frozen out by CH (for whatever reason, but with CH oe has to assume he is sufficiently professional not to freeze anyone out without good cause) and that must have an adverse impact on the player's conidence and desire.
    Bring him back into the fold and give him a run of games now... only 6 games left and we look to be fairly safe now, so what's the damage or trying to revitalise a striker who scored double figures last season with a team being relegated?)
    There is very little down side to doing that, and potentially a lot of upside if he regains his mo-jo.
    The upside is that he could still do a good job next season, and if geneuinely not wanted by CH, he has the chance to put himself in the shop window and for Forest to get a fee for him.

Last edited by Captain Sinister; 07-04-21 at 17:23.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ian Storey-Moore

Good lad another bright prospect that proving people wrong. It must be quite hard for the manager to not play Knockers given his history and what i assume he's costing us in wages so fair play. For all of Knockers huff and puff and obvious talent he doesn't seem to offer the same sort of goal threat that Mighten does and he's a liability defensively. I think we can safely say that Mighten will be key for us next season.

First Team

I can see Taylor being either sold or more likely loaned to Brum next season where heíll rack up a decent goal tally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your palms are holding her neck and thumbs are at her ears regulating the speed of her head as she swallows and then sucks up your machinery. She is topping up your engine oil for the cross-country coming up. Your RPM is hitting a new high. To wait any longer would be to lose prime time... She picks up a Bugatti's momentum. You want her more at a Volkswagen's steady trot. Squeeze the maximum mileage out of your gallon of gas. But she's eating up the road with all cylinders blazing.

Aniruddha Bahal (Bunker 13

Ian Storey-Moore

Without a doubt, he'll bang at least 10-15 goals in given some game time..

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by stockers View Post
    Without a doubt, he'll bang at least 10-15 goals in given some game time..
    Definitely agree.

His tactical awareness is impressive. I can remember some of the runs he was making on the shoulder of the last defender when he first came into the team.

He's still a raw talent. It never clicked for Cristiano Ronaldo goal-wise at first, and I think Mighten will be the same. Then we'll see it just all fall into place suddenly.

Up-Front

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    The trouble with Murray's movement is that his zimmer frame makes it all a bit predictable.
    Murray was deemed too old before he signed, so this was always getting rolled out at the first opportunity, so predictable.

Wally Ardron

Mighten is the future, unfortunately the squad has too many players that are the past

Upper Decker

People often tend to miss the importance of experience from older players in the dressing room, and the importance of a manager having a few 'trusted lieutenants' who understand what he's doing and why he asks what he asks of the other players.

How do we know what impact is Murray having in the dressing room and at training?

Last edited by Ravi; 08-04-21 at 09:57.
    Stand Firm And Strike Hard

oopsy daisy!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    People often tend to miss the importance of experience from older players in the dressing room, and the importance of a manager having a few 'trusted lieutenants' who understand what he's doing and why he asks what he asks of the other players.

How do we know what impact is Murray having in the dressing room and at training?
    You would think that a player who is still playing at this level at the age Murray is knows what it takes to be a professional footballer and will lead by example if not directly with tips and advice.

Impressive member

In most jobs I've had, experience counts for so much. I have worked with guys who I've had the utmost respect for, just because they've shown they've done it, and done it well. Now, hopefully, I'm the one some fool might look up to.

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Cortez the Killer View Post
    In most jobs I've had, experience counts for so much. I have worked with guys who I've had the utmost respect for, just because they've shown they've done it, and done it well. Now, hopefully, I'm the one some fool might look up to.
    I think it's why Michael Dawson was kept on too.

Having these older heads behind the scenes or 'off the field captains' is vital for the younger lads to lean on and look up to.

Trusted role models to the manager who help him out by managing the other players, keeping behaviour and effort up.

You need these old trusted generals acting in the best interests of the manager otherwise you can get certain clicks or group of players turning against the manager as they begin to show a lack of belief in his strength of character. That's when you see it all go to shit on the pitch.

oopsy daisy!

Quote Originally Posted by Cortez the Killer View Post
    I think the biggest single moment of satisfaction I have ever got came from a young man who was on a project that I had been sent into on a 'rescue mission'.

It was a clusterfuck of a project which had been completely ballsed up but somehow - mostly by beating it to death with a wad of money - we kicked it over the line.

A group of us that had worked together used to (still waiting on the one we arranged in late March last year ) get together every few months for a catch up and night out and this lad was working on one of my friends projects and was invited along.

First thing he did was see me and give me a massive bear hug with the words 'I have wanted to do this for 2 years because I learned more from you in 4 months than I did in all my years put together, I can't thank you enough.'

You can't buy something like that and it shows just how much experience and example can lead people in the right direction without anyone realising it.

Matchday Squad

Murray was deemed too old before he signed, so this was always getting rolled out at the first opportunity, so predictable.
    What? You mean the fact that the point being made was valid? You stick to your guns, I'll stick to saying we're paying him a lot of money in wages (according to Paul Taylor) for very, very little.

Up-Front

Quote Originally Posted by Berkshire Red View Post
    What? You mean the fact that the point being made was valid? You stick to your guns, I'll stick to saying we're paying him a lot of money in wages (according to Paul Taylor) for very, very little.
    Im not sticking to any guns, merely pointing out how easy it is to pigeon hole Murray as immobile, purely on the strength he's old. His movements been fine & aimless running can be as counter productive.

In the short time he's been afforded, it hasnt happened for him. Whether thats down to him or the fact we havent fed his strengths remains subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanRoy22 View Post

He's still a raw talent. It never clicked for Cristiano Ronaldo goal-wise at first, and I think Mighten will be the same. Then we'll see it just all fall into place suddenly.
    Mighten compared with Ronaldo. Weíre really going some on that.
    For a moment it was like that advert where I checked my cigarette to see if it was a reefer...

Ian Storey-Moore

Im not sticking to any guns, merely pointing out how easy it is to pigeon hole Murray as immobile, purely on the strength he's old. His movements been fine & aimless running can be as counter productive.

In the short time he's been afforded, it hasnt happened for him. Whether thats down to him or the fact we havent fed his strengths remains subjective.
    Murray has been a good signing. Exactly what we should have done. An old head, an experienced pro, signed on a short-term contract. Consider what SL bought in last January.. Bong, Diakhaby and Da Costa. Da Costa was even bought for a fee!! May as well stick a greyhound in a red jersey.

I wouldn't object to Murray being given a year's contract, assuming he accepts sensible wages. A strike force of Grabban, Murray and Taylor is enough for this league. Profligacy of our forwards isn't the problem, the lack of creativity behind them is.

CH dealing in the market so far has been excellent. Quality over quantity and all his signings have played a significant role - including Murray. SL acted like a fat kid at a budget all you can eat buffet.

How anyone can question Murray's signing when we paid a fee for Da Costa and Bachirou is beyond me.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Nigel Clough

Nice to see you are still dying on the Glenn Murray hill mate .

In the past three seasons he has now managed to notch up 3 goals in 41 games. So at least he has trebled his total now after scoring twice against the worst team in the league. The half volley was a lovely goal mind you.

Ian Storey-Moore

Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheRed View Post

In the past three seasons he has now managed to notch up 3 goals in 41 games. So at least he has trebled his total now after scoring twice against the worst team in the league. The half volley was a lovely goal mind you.

To be fair to Murray those figures are better than Knockers. Iím all for a bit of experience but it doesnít come cheap does it..

Nigel Clough

Knockers is another one I had my doubts over, I said at the start I doubt he gets 10 goals and assists combined. When he fancies it he is lovely to watch, the Luton game springs to mind, but we ended up losing that 1-0 which about sums it up really.

I think knockheart was bought in with one goal, help keep us up. Now the threat of relegation is receding , CH will play more the ones he thinks will be here next year , hence less of AK and more AM

Up-Front

"In the short time he's been afforded, it hasn't happened for him", with respect, thats more objectivity than most.

Players are going to find it difficult pleasing you with your do or die statistical criteria on success here, maybe theres a few subtle nuances your missing when it comes to input from players like Murray & Knockeart.

Knockeart has played his part in our apparent improvement in posession, his delivery has been stand out at times & he's put a shift in every time he's worn the shirt. You mention the Luton loss but forget the Derby away point in which he was a class above. Likewise Murrays bought a ton of experience to the party.

Depends on what you want to see.

Nigel Clough

Knockers is another one I had my doubts over, I said at the start I doubt he gets 10 goals and assists combined. When he fancies it he is lovely to watch, the Luton game springs to mind, but we ended up losing that 1-0 which about sums it up really.

Even then though there have been plenty of occasions where he's looked unplayable (Luton was a good example) actually in terms of chances he's created, and actual goals and assists, the actual return we have had from him is pretty low.

I suspect we could do a lot better in the summer on a cheaper foreign player (if we can due to the new rules) or an up and coming winger from the lower division as we definitely need two - Mighten's still a teen and we don't know what state Lolley's calves will be in long term. I think Da Costa is still ours, but last season really did prove he was actually a striker and not a winger.

Quote Originally Posted by Statto View Post
    Even then though there have been plenty of occasions where he's looked unplayable (Luton was a good example) actually in terms of chances he's created, and actual goals and assists, the actual return we have had from him is pretty low.

I suspect we could do a lot better in the summer on a cheaper foreign player (if we can due to the new rules) or an up and coming winger from the lower division as we definitely need two - Mighten's still a teen and we don't know what state Lolley's calves will be in long term. I think Da Costa is still ours, but last season really did prove he was actually a striker and not a winger.
    Itís funny how the tides turned on Knockers. The prevailing sentiment 2 months ago was that we needed to fine a fee for him and somehow Fulham were going to want to ďrecoupĒ the 10M they stupidly paid for him...
    Iím afraid heís a show pony with more in common with Abdoun than John Robertson.
    That being said Hughton (quite rightly IMO) went to players he knew and trusted when we were deep
    In the shit earlier in the season. I think this reflected the fact he didnít fully trust the dressing room we had and my guess is they were there as much for emergency use if things carried on going south as much anything else. Now we are in calmer waters heís using the players he knows he bc will have next year-very sensible

Nigel Clough

Quote Originally Posted by cheapseats View Post
    It’s funny how the tides turned on Knockers. The prevailing sentiment 2 months ago was that we needed to fine a fee for him and somehow Fulham were going to want to “recoup” the 10M they stupidly paid for him...
    I’m afraid he’s a show pony with more in common with Abdoun than John Robertson.
    That being said Hughton (quite rightly IMO) went to players he knew and trusted when we were deep
    In the shit earlier in the season. I think this reflected the fact he didn’t fully trust the dressing room we had and my guess is they were there as much for emergency use if things carried on going south as much anything else. Now we are in calmer waters he’s using the players he knows he bc will have next year-very sensible
    Don't get me wrong, I rate the lad enough to suggest he could do a job for us, but perhaps isn't worth what we would have to pay in terms of his goals and assists.

He always works hard, stretches teams by taking them on, and does try and deliver, it's not his fault our strikers don't like to get into the box on crosses... If we'd had a Murray from 3-4 years back we'd score a lot more with the deliveries AK and CC put in

Matchday Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Mr RayReardon View Post
    Murray has been a good signing.

How anyone can question Murray's signing when we paid a fee for Da Costa and Bachirou is beyond me.
    LOL. I can't quite tell if you're being serious, or not. I'm slightly worried that you might be.