Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748
Results 1,176 to 1,191 of 1191

Thread: Tiago Silva!

Nigel Clough

Default Re: Tiago Silva!

I too would rather us give Johnson a chance than bring Silva back. Again, I don't think Silva is bad but I just don't think you can build a top 6 midfield around him, and he clearly doesn't want to play for us anyway.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

oopsy daisy!

This player is in the 'Ex players' part of the forum for a reason.

What is this fascination we have with thinking that by bringing back former players we will suddenly become much better than what we were when they were here the first time round?

Nigel Clough

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post

What is this fascination we have with thinking that by bringing back former players we will suddenly become much better than what we were when they were here the first time round?
    Agree. It's hardly like Silva will have gotten any better after becoming a year older and spending the season in Olympiacos reserves. I'd rather we looked forwards than backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Agree. It's hardly like Silva will have gotten any better after becoming a year older and spending the season in Olympiacos reserves. I'd rather we looked forwards than backwards.
    Aye. Feet up in the sun with next to fuck all game time? It'd prob be Artur MK2.

Several months getting him back up to speed, then he hands in a transfer request again.

No. Thanks.

Nigel Clough

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    Aye. Feet up in the sun with next to fuck all game time? It'd prob be Artur MK2
    Exactly. People moan about us signing "rejects" or "has beens" with little to no game time from Premier League or other Championship sides, I don't see how re-signing Silva would be any different to that.

I'd rather we signed someone hungry to play and succeed rather than a player who is happy to just pick up a wage sitting on the bench or sat at home every match day.

Up-Front

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post

He wasnt the problem first time round. Excellent player, but on his own when it came to creative thinking.

We're prone to shite decisions, which is why I wouldnt rule out everyone we've let go.

Im also struggling with other assumptions he's "happy" to sit on the bench. How the fuck do we know how he's feeling about it.

Ian Storey-Moore

No thanks, if you don’t want to play for us then I don’t want you to play for us regardless of talent.

Nigel Clough

Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    He wasnt the problem first time round. Excellent player, but on his own when it came to creative thinking.

We're prone to shite decisions, which is why I wouldnt rule out everyone we've let go.

Im also struggling with other assumptions he's "happy" to sit on the bench. How the fuck do we know how he's feeling about it.
    He must have known he wasn't going to get much game time at Olympiacos, to be fair. Even with my admittedly limited knowledge of Olympiacos and Greek football in general, I never felt that he had any chance of breaking into their starting XI.

If he really wanted to go to a club where he was going to play regularly, he would have gone elsewhere IMO.

First Team

Well, I can tell you how he looks on TV and photographs. The short answer is: utterly miserable. It's very striking. We have players with zero playing time who are always with a smile on their face, celebrating goals as if they were playing themselves, etc. Silva seems distant, sad, and never in a celebratory mood.

Up-Front

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    He must have known he wasn't going to get much game time at Olympiacos, to be fair. Even with my admittedly limited knowledge of Olympiacos and Greek football in general, I never felt that he had any chance of breaking into their starting XI.

If he really wanted to go to a club where he was going to play regularly, he would have gone elsewhere IMO.
    Take your point mate, but theres nothing concrete in there to confirm he didn't want to play for us & he's chosen life on the sidelines at Olympiacos.

He was in & out the side here, more out than in under Lamouchi, I wouldnt have an issue with any player looking for playing time. Im sure he backed himself to get into their side.

Nigel Clough

Take your point mate, but theres nothing concrete in there to confirm he didn't want to play for us & he's chosen life on the sidelines at Olympiacos.

He was in & out the side here, more out than in under Lamouchi, I wouldnt have an issue with any player looking for playing time. Im sure he backed himself to get into their side.
    Perhaps he did back himself to get into their side, but I'd say that was pretty poor judgment from Tiago if that was the case, given the quality of player that Oly generally have in their starting XI.

Don't have any ill will towards the bloke personally mind you, but I doubt a reunion would be particularly great for either ourselves or Silva to be honest. Probably best for all parties to move on. I reckon he'll end up back in Portugal or Spain personally.

oopsy daisy!

No he wasn't. He was OK, certainly not someone we could describe as 'excellent'.

If he'd been 'excellent' we'd have had a queue of clubs lining up to buy him for a substantial fee. As it was, our sister club over in Greece had to take him off our hands to sit in their reserves for 12 months.

That lack of interest tells you all you need to know, not what some dewy eyed reminiscence of a bang average Championship midfielder* tells you. I'd back the football scouting community over our own desire to take past players, stick them on some sort of pedestal and pretend they were better than they actually were as we think they are the answer to our problems.

He's gone. get over it. Getting him back would take us no further forward than what we were last season. Nowhere.

*That said, he's better than some of the shit we bought to replace him proved to be.

I've every faith in Hughton bringing players to the club who makes Silva look feeble by comparison.

Nigel Clough

I've every faith in Hughton bringing players to the club who makes Silva look feeble by comparison.
    If his summer signings are of similar calibre to Garner and Krovinovic, then we'll certainly be in a much better place next season IMO.

Aye. Feet up in the sun with next to fuck all game time? It'd prob be Artur MK2.

Several months getting him back up to speed, then he hands in a transfer request again.

No. Thanks.
    Why do you always refer to him as Artur? Did I miss something or are you genuinely forgetting that it's Arter?

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mellison99 View Post
    Why do you always refer to him as Artur? Did I miss something or are you genuinely forgetting that it's Arter?

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk
    It's the opposite of Osborne or Clarke.