Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Viv Anderson

Default Re: Yohan Benalouane

Quote Originally Posted by It's Baggio View Post
    If this signing leads to Fox & Hefele being moved on then fine. If not then we'll almost have as much dead wood as this time 12 months ago.
    We losing Henderson and Ward this summer finally !

When we get to the summer we will still have Bridcutt, Ariyibi, Cummings, Vellios, Clough under contract before getting into the old-boys Dawson, Murphy, Watson, Guedioura. Plus others not deemed good enough.

It's going to be one hell of a busy summer.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Matchday Squad

Hopefully just buying himself some breathing space.

One of the things that puzzles me about MON’s appointment is that I can’t imagine he’s been spending the last few years really looking at the Championship, or any league really, I’d imagine his priority was ancestry.com trying to dig out some players with dubious irish heritage. Anyway I can’t imagine he’d have any perspective on what may be available or who he may want to recruit.

Matchday Squad

Listening to MON in interview, he has some long term injury issues, which the club would be aware of well before MON joined.
    I suspect we wanted a short term but Leicester want a longer term so its a compromise. Lets see how crap he is with us before we
    pass judgement.

Nigel Clough

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Joe Lolley was persona non grata at Huddersfield before Karanka bought him and he turned into one of the best wingers in the Championship
    Plenty of players have been dreadful here and gone on to do alright for themselves elsewhere too. It's not a forgone conclusion that he'll be terrible here, and he might be decent at this level for all we know.

Wally Ardron

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Joe Lolley was persona non grata at Huddersfield before Karanka bought him and he turned into one of the best wingers in the Championship
    Lolley had played well in our league prior, Huddersfield fans rated him highly and most were sad to see him go.

Leicester fans think it's Christmas.

Nigel Clough

Quote Originally Posted by BryanRoy View Post
    We losing Henderson and Ward this summer finally !

When we get to the summer we will still have Bridcutt, Ariyibi, Cummings, Vellios, Clough under contract before getting into the old-boys Dawson, Murphy, Watson, Guedioura. Plus others not deemed good enough.

It's going to be one hell of a busy summer.
    Bit harsh putting Dawson in there, Murphy and Guedioura are fine as squad players too IMO.

Cummings and Clough are going to be very difficult to shift.

Formerly Gandalfthered

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Two or more games without any senior centre backs = two or more defeats.

This guy obviously isn't a world beater, but I don't buy that sticking midfielders at centre back or playing kids with zero experience at this level (and very little experience of senior football) would be a better option.
    Give it one or two games and you will understand why Anel would have been a better option.

Viv Anderson

Plenty of players have been dreadful here and gone on to do alright for themselves elsewhere too. It's not a forgone conclusion that he'll be terrible here, and he might be decent at this level for all we know.
    We've laid the warning signings but who knows Benalouane could grab this opportunity and MON could get it out. He has been part of a higher level for longer than Fox/Hefele but 29 senior games since 2015 is shit scary.

Viv Anderson

Bit harsh putting Dawson in there, Murphy and Guedioura are fine as squad players too IMO.

Cummings and Clough are going to be very difficult to shift.
    Wasn't being critical of Dawson. But I don't think we can rely on a 36 year-old centre-back. His role should be in-out guiding a Joe Worrall for example.

Murphy will be another year older and so will those other midfield two who aren't at their peak anymore bringing value to us over a long period.

Last edited by BryanRoy; 17-01-19 at 22:09.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    So, you're claiming that O'Neill had no say in this signing and has allowed himself to be undermined?
    If you think it's him being undermined, then sure. I guess you also thought Karanka was repeatedly undermined from the beginning.

I'm not sure it's that deep, just a bad another dumb signing.

Nigel Clough

We need defenders. Is defender. Better than what we had this morning, and if we’re to mount a challenge, we need points now, or at the very least to minimise point losses. It’s mid-January, this is where we are at. If Karankagate hadn’t happened we’d maybe have signed others, and maybe sooner. Here we are though, and here he is. Never going to form an impression until they’ve started a game and never going to reach a conclusion until they’ve settled and had a run of games.

Of course, this means players like Vellios will never be harshly judged by me because they never get a run. Likewise two out of the three Portuguese. S’just me, but I tend to feel less cumulative frustration and despondency that way.

We are very much in make-do and mend mode at the moment though, so the fact that we at least ARE is a comfort. Good luck for Saturday, Yoghurt Baloon.

Nigel Clough

Quote Originally Posted by BryanRoy View Post
    We've laid the warning signings but who knows Benalouane could grab this opportunity and MON could get it out. He has been part of a higher level for longer than Fox/Hefele but 29 senior games since 2015 is shit scary.
    Leicester have been a top half Premier League team for most of that time though, so plenty of players that could do a job in the Championship might not get a look in there. As sad as it is to say, Leicester are at a much higher level than we are currently so the fact that a player can't get a look in there doesn't tell us much about there ability to do a job here.

Viv Anderson

Leicester have been a top half Premier League team for most of that time though, so plenty of players that could do a job in the Championship might not get a look in there. As sad as it is to say, Leicester are at a much higher level than we are currently so the fact that a player can't get a look in there doesn't tell us much about there ability to do a job here.
    I don't judge like that. I've watched him play. I've seen him be ripped apart by a young ex-Forest forward many on here laugh at now. Saying that we need a defender now and so be it.

Nigel Clough

Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheRed View Post
    Give it one or two games and you will understand why Anel would have been a better option.
    Anel has been overlooked by pretty much every manager that has been at this club during his time here.

That tells me that he is either nowhere near ready or nowhere near good enough.

Ian Storey-Moore

We've been playing a centre mid and left back in central defence, so we need someone. Guess this means Worral is staying at Rangers.

Pork - Stuffing - Apple Sauce

Nigel Clough

Anel has been overlooked by pretty much every manager that has been at this club during his time here.

That tells me that he is either nowhere near ready or nowhere near good enough.
    Indeed. But he is fit enough.

Nigel Clough

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Fail View Post
    Indeed. But he is fit enough.
    Yet midfielders and full backs play there ahead of him. With all due respect to Anel, I think that speaks volumes about his readiness to start a game at this level.

Youth Team

Really could do with Watson, Dawson + Murphy deciding to retire this summer. Racking up these contracts that are difficult to get rid of. If you saw the actual figure that's been wasted in the last 12 months, wages + agent fees + signing on fees, it'd probably hit home how trash it's been.

account deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fossil View Post
    Huddersfield fans rated him highly and most were sad to see him go.
    Not sure either of these statements are true

Matchday Squad
    Nottingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Yet midfielders and full backs play there ahead of him. With all due respect to Anel, I think that speaks volumes about his readiness to start a game at this level.
    I think it’s more the pressure of instant success and the perceived risk of playing a young lad at centre half. I’ve seen him play and to my untrained eye, he looks quality. Much less risk playing youth in other positions. Centre half makes an error, just like a keeper, it’s magnified and often costs a goal

Personally, I’d rather see Anel in the side than panic buy someone that’s played very few games in 4 years

Youth Team

Lolley was well liked. They just didn't think he was good enough for the PL. He was also 25.

First Team

And I thought you'd be furious about Roderick Miranda...

Nigel Clough

Quote Originally Posted by JRSG View Post
    Really could do with Watson, Dawson + Murphy deciding to retire this summer. Racking up these contracts that are difficult to get rid of. If you saw the actual figure that's been wasted in the last 12 months, wages + agent fees + signing on fees, it'd probably hit home how trash it's been.
    Dawson is our best centre half, he still has plenty to offer even if not as a regular starter next year. I still don't think Murphy is as bad as people make out, has scored some important goals this season. Happy to keep them for the last years of their contracts, though preferably younger players are brought in for the starting XI in the summer and those two playing a smaller role.

Watson is finished at this level, but could probably do a job in League One if we can find someone to take him.

account deleted

I'm just not ready to write a player off because the fans don't rate him

Look at some of the players we've had over the years that have gone on to better things despite fan opinion

Nigel Clough

Quote Originally Posted by stantonred View Post
    I think it’s more the pressure of instant success and the perceived risk of playing a young lad at centre half. I’ve seen him play and to my untrained eye, he looks quality. Much less risk playing youth in other positions. Centre half makes an error, just like a keeper, it’s magnified and often costs a goal

Personally, I’d rather see Anel in the side than panic buy someone that’s played very few games in 4 years
    Anel has barely played any senior football at this level or otherwise. Looking good at youth level and being good at senior level are two completely different things, especially for defenders given how much more physical senior football is. If Anel had a spell on loan at League One or Two and done well then fair enough, but we've seen nothing to suggest he is ready for this level (and it seems managers at Forest tend to agree), saying he'd be a better option than Benalouane is pure guesswork at best.