Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 301
  1. #276
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    15,232

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    Needs a bit of cleaning up but almost done




  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #277
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    South London
    Posts
    7,560

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    Wish I could like that more than once

    Awesome stuff DD


  4. #278
    Warp Speed Chic
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    13,256

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    Love it


  5. #279
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    15,232

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    Got the PS5 version of FF7 Remake downloading and paid the £16 for the Yuffie episode. Work needs to finish for the day already.


  6. #280
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    15,232

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    Anyone tried the Stranger of Paradise demo on PS5? It's based in the Final Fantasy world but is very similar to Sekiro/Souls in the difficulty and way you respawn at the last checkpoint you reached. Main character seems a bit of a douche though.


  7. #281

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.




  8. #282

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    I'm still working my way through these, and a lad I was chatting to online pointed me in the direction of this article........

    NHK (think the BBC in the UK), has held its very own poll to see which Final Fantasy game is the 'best' of all time. The poll asked viewers to rank their favourite games, characters and more from the series, with a whopping 468,654 votes being cast in total. Let's see how it went down, shall we?

    NHK Japan Poll - Best Final Fantasy Games
    Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VI
    Final Fantasy IX
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Final Fantasy V
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy IV
    Final Fantasy XI
    Final Fantasy XV


    NHK Japan Poll - Best Final Fantasy Characters
    Cloud (VII)
    Yuna (X)
    Aeris (VII)
    Vivi (IX)
    Zidane (IX)
    Solus zos Galvus (XIV)
    Tidus (X)
    Lightning (XIII)
    Tifa (VII)
    Zack (VII)
    So there we have it, Final Fantasy X is officially better than VII and Cloud is everyone's favourite spiky-haired boy.



    https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...th_the_ranking

    Good to see X get some love. No love for Fran's ass though


  9. #283
    First Team
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    7,713

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    Was never massively keen on X myself, most of the game just felt like an endless corridor and Tidus was an irritating protagonist. Battle system was quite good though, and graphically it was jaw-dropping back in the day.

    Personally I reckon the SNES (IV to VI) and PS1 (VII to IX) were the peak of the series. The most recent FF game I played (XV) was absolutely dreadful.

    Last edited by Ashley; 09-12-21 at 14:47.

  10. #284

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Was never massively keen on X myself, most of the game just felt like an endless corridor and Tidus was an irritating protagonist. Battle system was quite good though, and graphically it was jaw-dropping back in the day.

    Personally I reckon the SNES (IV to VI) and PS1 (VII to IX) were the peak of the series. The most recent FF game I played (XV) was absolutely dreadful.
    See I loved Tidus. A proper nob-head who couldn't give a toss All the FF games I've played were fairly linear for the majority of them though. 6 barely lets you do anything for the first 4-5 hours, even the boss fights are heavily scripted.

    Agree with 15 though. Could not take to it at all.


  11. #285
    First Team
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    7,713

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    See I loved Tidus. A proper nob-head who couldn't give a toss All the FF games I've played were fairly linear for the majority of them though. 6 barely lets you do anything for the first 4-5 hours, even the boss fights are heavily scripted.

    Agree with 15 though. Could not take to it at all.
    X was more linear than the games before though, I swear I spent 95% of the game outside of battles holding forward on the analog stick. Tidus just annoyed me, and I think the cast of X in general is pretty weak (though I quite liked Auron, easily my favourite character from X). Not a bad game (and certainly better than the post-PS2 era FFs), but it was disappointing coming off the PS1 games for me.

    XV is awful and possibly the worst FF game (not played the VII remake and don't know how to compare it to I-III given how dated they are). Graphics aside it just failed in almost every way; crap combat, a mostly empty world, rubbish characters and a mess of a story. The Gaetan Bong of Final Fantasy.


  12. #286

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    X was more linear than the games before though, I swear I spent 95% of the game outside of battles holding forward on the analog stick. Tidus just annoyed me, and I think the cast of X in general is pretty weak (though I quite liked Auron, easily my favourite character from X). Not a bad game (and certainly better than the post-PS2 era FFs), but it was disappointing coming off the PS1 games for me.

    XV is awful and possibly the worst FF game (not played the VII remake and don't know how to compare it to I-III given how dated they are). Graphics aside it just failed in almost every way; crap combat, a mostly empty world, rubbish characters and a mess of a story. The Gaetan Bong of Final Fantasy.
    Weird, I though X had a fantastic cast of characters

    Yeah, 15 was just bad in every way. Proper Bong!


  13. #287
    First Team
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    7,713

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    Weird, I though X had a fantastic cast of characters

    Yeah, 15 was just bad in every way. Proper Bong!
    I thought a lot of characters either didn't really do anything (Kimari) or were good but faded into the background about halfway through the game (Lulu is a good example of this). It's a shame, as the story of X itself is actually quite good, I liked the concept of the main threat being a destructive force of nature (Sin) and the whole religious/ traditions surrounding the pilgrimages people undertook to defeat Sin; very fresh at the time I felt compared to the usual JRPG fare..

    It's a shame that the only FF game we got this gen (besides the seemingly divisive VII remake) was XV, such a huge disappointment with almost no redeeming qualities. I hope XVI turns out to be better and is a return to greatness.

    Last edited by Ashley; 09-12-21 at 17:46.

  14. #288

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    I thought a lot of characters either didn't really do anything (Kimari) or were good but faded into the background about halfway through the game (Lulu is a good example of this). It's a shame, as the story of X itself is actually quite good, I liked the concept of the main threat being a destructive force of nature (Sin) and the whole religious/ traditions surrounding the pilgrimages people undertook to defeat Sin; very fresh at the time I felt compared to the usual JRPG fare..

    It's a shame that the only FF game we got this gen (besides the seemingly divisive VII remake) was XV, such a huge disappointment with almost no redeeming qualities. I hope XVI turns out to be better and is a return to greatness.
    Yeah but Kimari was there for one reason really, to look hard (like Shadow of FF6) And Lulu to look fit

    I think you're being a bit over-critical on the character anyway. Most get involved in the plot, it's just they're clearly support cast to the stars Tidus, Tuna, Auron and Jecht.

    All most of these FF games are anyway is the Star Wars formula retold (especially FF12). Usually around 4 focal characters with a big bad or two for them to face, and a few support folk around them (Chewbacca, Kimiari, Fran, Gau, Mog, Quina Quen). What makes X stand out for me is both the love story and father-son story. Both are cheesy, but carry that genuine innocence too. The ending was just fantastic, and Auron's conclusion played a big part in that.

    Yeah 15 was just shambolic all round. I'm not keen on how 16 looks tbh. Basically it looks like they've just tried to rip the Witcher games off. But we'll see.


  15. #289
    First Team
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    7,713

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    I do really like X's ending so I agree with you on that, really well done. It's a decent game, just didn't grab me as much as the games preceeding it.

    I'm in more of a "wait and see" sort of stance regarding XVI, I hope it will be good and like the return to a medieval setting, but it does feel like it might be falling into the trap of chasing modern trends (much like XV tried to be like modern open world games when it had no real reason to be).

    FF seems to have had a bit of an identity crisis from XIII onwards, Square-Enix don't seem to know what they want the series to be.


  16. #290

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    I do really like X's ending so I agree with you on that, really well done. It's a decent game, just didn't grab me as much as the games preceeding it.

    I'm in more of a "wait and see" sort of stance regarding XVI, I hope it will be good and like the return to a medieval setting, but it does feel like it might be falling into the trap of chasing modern trends (much like XV tried to be like modern open world games when it had no real reason to be).

    FF seems to have had a bit of an identity crisis from XIII onwards, Square-Enix don't seem to know what they want the series to be.
    Agreed. It's all copycat stuff, and then when it's released it's already 5-10 years out of date. 15 felt like I was controlling a late 00's early 10's emo band

    FF used to set the standard. Now it's become another sheep.


  17. #291
    First Team
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    7,713

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    Agreed. It's all copycat stuff, and then when it's released it's already 5-10 years out of date. 15 felt like I was controlling a late 00's early 10's emo band

    FF used to set the standard. Now it's become another sheep.
    Your last sentence sums it up perfectly. They were industry leaders during the SNES, PS1 and PS2 era, now they are trying to cash in on what's popular (though with how long it takes for them to actually a game, said trend has been and gone by the time it releases) rather than make the type of games that made them a household name in the first place.

    It's weird how they seem to get FF so wrong, but still make other good games. A few months after the shit show that was XV they released Nier Automata, which was an open world action RPG that was pretty much superior to XV in every way. A few decent old school style RPGs like Dragon Quest XI and Octopath Traveler, and a decent 3d remake of Trials of Mana. But for some reason, making a decent game in their flagship franchise is beyond them, a bit like how Sega can't make a decent Sonic the Hedgehog game.


  18. #292

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Your last sentence sums it up perfectly. They were industry leaders during the SNES, PS1 and PS2 era, now they are trying to cash in on what's popular (though with how long it takes for them to actually a game, said trend has been and gone by the time it releases) rather than make the type of games that made them a household name in the first place.

    It's weird how they seem to get FF so wrong, but still make other good games. A few months after the shit show that was XV they released Nier Automata, which was an open world action RPG that was pretty much superior to XV in every way. A few decent old school style RPGs like Dragon Quest XI and Octopath Traveler, and a decent 3d remake of Trials of Mana. But for some reason, making a decent game in their flagship franchise is beyond them, a bit like how Sega can't make a decent Sonic the Hedgehog game.


    I'm looking forward to paying that Octopath Traveler Need to get through my 16-bit and PS4 backlog first though

    See, even though Automata was good, they still tried to follow the open-world fad. Personally I love the original Nier, but can see why Automata's so loved. 2B's arse kept me playing through the rough bits.

    Played this the other day, Sonic Emerald Ties. Personally I think it's headed very much in the right direction....

    https://sonicfangameshq.com/forums/s...021-demo.1127/

    I'm no big fan of Sonic, I think it's a good concept, but in practice it's never lived up to its promise. But this Emerald Ties seemed to get the stage structure nailed in the demo to offer a much more interactive & flowing experience. Hope they get it finished.


  19. #293
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    15,232

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    I'm still working my way through these, and a lad I was chatting to online pointed me in the direction of this article........

    NHK (think the BBC in the UK), has held its very own poll to see which Final Fantasy game is the 'best' of all time. The poll asked viewers to rank their favourite games, characters and more from the series, with a whopping 468,654 votes being cast in total. Let's see how it went down, shall we?

    NHK Japan Poll - Best Final Fantasy Games
    Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VI
    Final Fantasy IX
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Final Fantasy V
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy IV
    Final Fantasy XI
    Final Fantasy XV


    NHK Japan Poll - Best Final Fantasy Characters
    Cloud (VII)
    Yuna (X)
    Aeris (VII)
    Vivi (IX)
    Zidane (IX)
    Solus zos Galvus (XIV)
    Tidus (X)
    Lightning (XIII)
    Tifa (VII)
    Zack (VII)
    So there we have it, Final Fantasy X is officially better than VII and Cloud is everyone's favourite spiky-haired boy.



    https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...th_the_ranking

    Good to see X get some love. No love for Fran's ass though
    Hmm, not sure about that. VII was my favourite, but I think IX probably did Final Fantasy the best.

    Most Final Fantasy games are linear, but they give you the illusion that it's a big open world and you can go anywhere. That's what initially got my about VII, it seemed massive and that there was loads to explore, even though you were unknowingly being funnelled.

    X decided to do away with that illusion and just had you walking from one place to another by a single linking road, like going down a tunnel. The story was good though, and I liked the supporting characters. Kimari was generally weak in battle but his story was quite emotional. Lulu if developed properly could be stupidly overpowered.

    For a linear as X was, it was nothing compared to XIII, that was ridiculously linear and the game pretty much played itself. Plus the characters were fucking annoying.

    I think my order would be: 7, 9, 6, 10, 15, 8, 12 (except the rabbit arse, that was the highlight), 13.

    I haven't played the ones prior to 6 all the way though, so can't really judge them.


  20. #294

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    Quote Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
    Hmm, not sure about that. VII was my favourite, but I think IX probably did Final Fantasy the best.

    Most Final Fantasy games are linear, but they give you the illusion that it's a big open world and you can go anywhere. That's what initially got my about VII, it seemed massive and that there was loads to explore, even though you were unknowingly being funnelled.

    X decided to do away with that illusion and just had you walking from one place to another by a single linking road, like going down a tunnel. The story was good though, and I liked the supporting characters. Kimari was generally weak in battle but his story was quite emotional. Lulu if developed properly could be stupidly overpowered.

    For a linear as X was, it was nothing compared to XIII, that was ridiculously linear and the game pretty much played itself. Plus the characters were fucking annoying.

    I think my order would be: 7, 9, 6, 10, 15, 8, 12 (except the rabbit arse, that was the highlight), 13.

    I haven't played the ones prior to 6 all the way though, so can't really judge them.
    Top summary mate, and I'd agree with most of that.

    4 & 5 are definitely worth playing, just make sure you get the modern translation for 4 or it reads like shit. 5's job system makes it a ton of fun, I prefer it to 6 by some way.

    I'd like to replay 9. I've only ever played it once, but I found it boring. However it was at a time when I barely gamed, in fact I think I played it when I had a week off work with flu, so I might not have appreciated it properly.

    Saw this on facebook, made me chuckle......




  21. #295
    First Team
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    7,713

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    Top summary mate, and I'd agree with most of that.

    4 & 5 are definitely worth playing, just make sure you get the modern translation for 4 or it reads like shit. 5's job system makes it a ton of fun, I prefer it to 6 by some way.

    I'd like to replay 9. I've only ever played it once, but I found it boring. However it was at a time when I barely gamed, in fact I think I played it when I had a week off work with flu, so I might not have appreciated it properly.

    Saw this on facebook, made me chuckle......

    I actually prefer both IV and V to VI (agree with you about IV's original translation though; I played the SNES version on an emulator back in the day and whilst enjoyable they did a poor job translating it). IV's story flows better than VI's (which loses its momentum a bit halfway through) in my opinion. V has the weakest story of the SNES trilogy but is by far the most fun to play, used to spend ages experimenting with its job system.

    IX is actually my favourite FF game, but it is a bit of a slow burner (it starts to really get going around disc 2 IMO). I definitely recommend giving it another go if you have the time for it.

    As for my own ranking of the FF games, of the games I've played (I haven't played the VII remake, the two online FFs or the X and XIII sequels) mine would be: IX, IV, VII, V, VI, VIII, X, XII, XIII, II, III, I, XV


  22. #296

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    I actually prefer both IV and V to VI (agree with you about IV's original translation though; I played the SNES version on an emulator back in the day and whilst enjoyable they did a poor job translating it). IV's story flows better than VI's (which loses its momentum a bit halfway through) in my opinion. V has the weakest story of the SNES trilogy but is by far the most fun to play, used to spend ages experimenting with its job system.

    IX is actually my favourite FF game, but it is a bit of a slow burner (it starts to really get going around disc 2 IMO). I definitely recommend giving it another go if you have the time for it.

    As for my own ranking of the FF games, of the games I've played (I haven't played the VII remake, the two online FFs or the X and XIII sequels) mine would be: IX, IV, VII, V, VI, VIII, X, XII, XIII, II, III, I, XV
    Couldn't agree more with all of that about the SNES games. I think 6's pacing is shocking, and it amazes me the love it gets. Even the fights are scripted

    I'll definitely have to revisit 9. I think the series has something for everyone.


  23. #297
    First Team
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    7,713

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    Couldn't agree more with all of that about the SNES games. I think 6's pacing is shocking, and it amazes me the love it gets. Even the fights are scripted

    I'll definitely have to revisit 9. I think the series has something for everyone.
    The first half of VI is good, but the second half of the game is just mostly scouring the world map trying to reassemble your party before going to fight Kefka. I barely motivated myself to finish it by the end as I found the second half of the game a real slog. I much prefer IV's story (or at least how it is presented/paced) and V's gameplay (with its fun job system) over what VI has to offer.


  24. #298

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    Really can't get on with the FF7 Remake. Feels like they've thrown in a ton of fan-written stuff just to pad it out. It's really dragging.


  25. #299
    First Team
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    7,713

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    Really can't get on with the FF7 Remake. Feels like they've thrown in a ton of fan-written stuff just to pad it out. It's really dragging.
    Pretty much the reasons I gave it a miss. I don't mind them making changes to the story, but what changes they made feels like bad fan fiction and all a bit too Kingdom Hearts for my liking. There was also bound to be loads of pointless filler/padding, given that they were trying to make the first few hours of the original into a full games worth of content.


  26. #300

    Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Pretty much the reasons I gave it a miss. I don't mind them making changes to the story, but what changes they made feels like bad fan fiction and all a bit too Kingdom Hearts for my liking. There was also bound to be loads of pointless filler/padding, given that they were trying to make the first few hours of the original into a full games worth of content.
    Yep, that's about bang on. It's not awful, but I was just ambling through out of obligation rather than enjoying it. Ragged it in now.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •