Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 110

Thread: Ollie Watkins

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,145

    Default Ollie Watkins

    Seen some twitter rumblings about him and on a different forum i frequent, a Brentford fan says we've "won the race to sign him", no idea how true it is, but hes from Exeter in League 2, hes 21, a striker (but seems he can play on the wings and maybe attacking midfield), 5'11 and bags of pace, played 1.5 seasons at league 2 level, scoring 26 goals in 78 games (and 17 assists)

    price for him seems to be 4 million according to twitter, which seems pretty steep for a L2 lad :/


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    Quote Originally Posted by cms186 View Post
    Seen some twitter rumblings about him and on a different forum i frequent, a Brentford fan says we've "won the race to sign him", no idea how true it is, but hes from Exeter in League 2, hes 21, a striker (but seems he can play on the wings and maybe attacking midfield), 5'11 and bags of pace, played 1.5 seasons at league 2 level, scoring 26 goals in 78 games (and 17 assists)

    price for him seems to be 4 million according to twitter, which seems pretty steep for a L2 lad :/
    4 million!?!?




  4. #3
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    91,256

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    More chance of Ollie Hardy.

    „I believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialism“

    „Don't forget you're alive. 'Cause sometimes when you walk around the city and you're in a bad mood, you can think, hey, wait a minute, we're alive! We don't know what the next second will bring and what a fantastic thing this is. This can get easily forgotten in the routine of life, and that's something I'm trying to bring to my attention at all times. Don't forget you're alive. We're not dead, you know. This is the greatest thing.”

    — Joe Strummer

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    JLB Credit
    Posts
    10,006

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    More chance of Holly Valance.

    Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk


  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Nottingham/Lincoln
    Posts
    8,108

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    Quote Originally Posted by Project Zeus View Post
    More chance of Holly Valance.

    Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    There's a blast from the past. Had a poster of her on my wall as a youth


  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Behind the net curtains
    Posts
    8,731

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    Quote Originally Posted by MXJ View Post
    There's a blast from the past. Had a poster of her on my wall as a youth
    I bet that took some scraping off..

    Your palms are holding her neck and thumbs are at her ears regulating the speed of her head as she swallows and then sucks up your machinery. She is topping up your engine oil for the cross-country coming up. Your RPM is hitting a new high. To wait any longer would be to lose prime time... She picks up a Bugatti's momentum. You want her more at a Volkswagen's steady trot. Squeeze the maximum mileage out of your gallon of gas. But she's eating up the road with all cylinders blazing.

    Aniruddha Bahal (Bunker 13

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Nottingham/Lincoln
    Posts
    8,108

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Pope View Post
    I bet that took some scraping off..
    Had to get the hammer and chisel out


  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Behind the net curtains
    Posts
    8,731

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    Quote Originally Posted by MXJ View Post
    Had to get the hammer and chisel out
    5 times every night


  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    7,845

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    Quote Originally Posted by Project Zeus View Post
    More chance of Holly Valance.
    I applaud your taste.


  11. #10
    Upper Decker
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In acres of space
    Posts
    40,884

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    More chance of the Watkin path.

    Stand Firm And Strike Hard

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,879

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    More chance of the Watkin path.
    A good alternative to the sprints up of the Miners or PYG. Snowdon Ranger is boring and poor (unless you stayed at the hostel) and going up the rail route is the tourist route.

    What was that about a possible signing?


  13. #12
    Upper Decker
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In acres of space
    Posts
    40,884

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    Quote Originally Posted by RRRREDUN View Post
    A good alternative to the sprints up of the Miners or PYG. Snowdon Ranger is boring and poor (unless you stayed at the hostel) and going up the rail route is the tourist route.

    What was that about a possible signing?
    Because it's sea level to summit the Watkin is the most demnanding stamina wise, although Crib Goch is my favourite and the most exciting. 'Not for the faint hearted' as the guide book says.


  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    11,660

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    The lad is class, no doubt about that he looks like he plays league 2 football in his sleep whenever I've seen him play. Also, when I've seen him it's been at centre forward, he could be the lower league option as the Britt replacement. I've even seem some folk draw comparisons between him and Collymore.

    The only source I've seen are those fake transfer Twitter account things. So I'm not sure we're even in the race to sign him honestly.


  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,747

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    A lot of Championship have been sniffing round him Brentford Leeds Bristol city and Derby who were rumoured to be bidding 3 million for him.


  16. #15
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    91,256

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    Target practice.

    But to be honest, you'd splatter Holly Valance like a Plasterers' Radio.


  17. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    12,290

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    More chance of us signing Holly Willoughby.


  18. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5,500

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    £3-4m? Fuck that. We paid £3m for Zach Clough, who had done the business at a higher level. Paying big money for this lad (or that right back from Luton) would also set a dangerous precedent, as it would show everyone that we can be taken for a ride when it comes to transfer fees. At the prices rumoured, we should stay well clear TBH.


  19. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    5,577

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    Thiiiis was my suggestion/rumour from like towards the end of last year sort of time. City were at the bottom half of the table and I suggested that he'd be a good addition to our squad as we'd probably be able to pick him up for less than £1m. I banged on about it for a few weeks but nobody was agreeing. Was talking about it during their play-off run to Wembley as well but it was shot down.

    My my, how the turned tables have... Never mind.


  20. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Loughborough
    Posts
    1,254

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Thiiiis was my suggestion/rumour from like towards the end of last year sort of time. City were at the bottom half of the table and I suggested that he'd be a good addition to our squad as we'd probably be able to pick him up for less than £1m. I banged on about it for a few weeks but nobody was agreeing. Was talking about it during their play-off run to Wembley as well but it was shot down.

    My my, how the turned tables have... Never mind.
    Have a Blue Peter badge !

    Aye Oh...Aye Oh....It's off to Mexico....with Ian Moore and Hen....er.....reee....aye oh...aye oh

  21. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    693

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    Quote Originally Posted by IanStoreyMoore View Post
    Have a Blue Peter badge !
    Scouts scouting badge

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk


  22. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    5,577

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    Quote Originally Posted by IanStoreyMoore View Post
    Have a Blue Peter badge !
    That show's not what it once was, but I appreciate the gesture, thank you.


  23. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Mansfield
    Posts
    4,582

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    £3-4m? Fuck that. We paid £3m for Zach Clough, who had done the business at a higher level. Paying big money for this lad (or that right back from Luton) would also set a dangerous precedent, as it would show everyone that we can be taken for a ride when it comes to transfer fees. At the prices rumoured, we should stay well clear TBH.
    Every thread and your whinging about fees or wages, are you the club accountant?

    Between me, you and everyone else on the board, what we know about the actual finances we could write on a postage stamp. We have no idea about the books, how they are being managed, ins and outs on the balance sheet or how any of these potential deals are structured. We have a chairman who in his first letter to the fans specifically highlighted ffp and the rules we will have to adhere to. We also have a director of football who I assume will be pretty clued up on what we can and can't pay before identifying these players and recommending them to management.

    At least we are targeting these young and talented guys. I'm more excited being linked to Watkins than I am a 27 year old frenchman from West Ham's reserves (purely an example).

    Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk


  24. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5,500

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheRed View Post
    Every thread and your whinging about fees or wages, are you the club accountant?

    Between me, you and everyone else on the board, what we know about the actual finances we could write on a postage stamp. We have no idea about the books, how they are being managed, ins and outs on the balance sheet or how any of these potential deals are structured. We have a chairman who in his first letter to the fans specifically highlighted ffp and the rules we will have to adhere to. We also have a director of football who I assume will be pretty clued up on what we can and can't pay before identifying these players and recommending them to management.

    At least we are targeting these young and talented guys. I'm more excited being linked to Watkins than I am a 27 year old frenchman from West Ham's reserves (purely an example).

    Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
    By every thread, you mean this one and the James Justin thread most likely. But do go on.

    Given the last five years we have had, fans have every right to question the value of any player we sign. We do know that the club bleeds money at an alarming rate every season, a rough idea of what we lose every year, the FFP limits for each year and such. All this information is public knowledge, with our losses reported in the local newspaper no less.

    There is absolutely nothing nonsensical at all about saying that we shouldn't ought to be spending £3-4m on 4th division players. I'm all for signing talented young players, and I am delighted to have acquired Cummings and McKay for the price we did. But I don't want us to repeat past mistakes by paying vastly over inflated fees for players. I don't see why you have such a problem with me expressing that opinion TBH.


  25. #24
    Up-Front
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Divorce courts.
    Posts
    17,785

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    By every thread, you mean this one and the James Justin thread most likely. But do go on.

    Given the last five years we have had, fans have every right to question the value of any player we sign. We do know that the club bleeds money at an alarming rate every season, a rough idea of what we lose every year, the FFP limits for each year and such. All this information is public knowledge, with our losses reported in the local newspaper no less.

    There is absolutely nothing nonsensical at all about saying that we shouldn't ought to be spending £3-4m on 4th division players. I'm all for signing talented young players, and I am delighted to have acquired Cummings and McKay for the price we did. But I don't want us to repeat past mistakes by paying vastly over inflated fees for players. I don't see why you have such a problem with me expressing that opinion TBH.
    I see your point, but ultimately 3/4 mill is the going rate these days. The main issue for me is ensuring that central midfield is prioritised in the budget.

    I'd happily outlay the money on this kid, but only after we've put the pieces together in the middle of the park where its needed.


  26. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5,500

    Default Re: Ollie Watkins

    Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    I see your point, but ultimately 3/4 mill is the going rate these days. The main issue for me is ensuring that central midfield is prioritised in the budget.

    I'd happily outlay the money on this kid, but only after we've put the pieces together in the middle of the park where its needed.
    I haven't seen many League Two players go for these prices, other than that Kemar Roofe fella. League One players maybe (i.e Britt for £5.5m). We have signed young players (i.e. Lansbury, Clough, Paterson) and sold young players (Darlow and Lascelles) for around £3m or less, all of whom had played at a higher level than this kid. I'm not convinced that players who haven't played about League Two are worth £3m+.*

    League Two to the Championship is a gargantuan jump in quality and we aren't really in a position for expensive gambles IMO.

    I think something closer to £1.5m would be a more reasonable fee. £3-4m should be getting you a decent player who has done well in the Championship or the top end*of League One I reckon.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •