Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 171 of 171 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171
Results 4,251 to 4,272 of 4272

Thread: Current state of the squad

First Team

Default Re: Current state of the squad

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    See I though he worked hard, but his quality was abysmal. Remember this was Vale too, stuff like hold up play should be bread and butter against a side like that.

But we'll see. In his last few games with us before his loan he showed the odd glimpse of goodness, and he's still prob not fit yet. But some of his attacking play against a really poor Port Vale side really left me despairing.
    That spin and first time pass on the volley to Mighten in the first half sticks out to me as one of the main moments of quality in the whole game. Almost perfectly weighted ball, AM just couldnít quite get hold of it but he was in if his touch was good. The full game is on YouTube but I cba to find it

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    That spin and first time pass on the volley to Mighten in the first half sticks out to me as one of the main moments of quality in the whole game. Almost perfectly weighted ball, AM just couldnít quite get hold of it but he was in if his touch was good. The full game is on YouTube but I cba to find it
    Sounds like I missed that coz I definitely can't remember it. From what I saw he was snatching at chances and unable to threaten at all, but if he produced a chance and I missed it fair enough. Gives a bot more hope.

I'll say this though Matt, both with Nuno & Carva I think you're talking yourself into some disappointment mate. I think they've a place and a job they can do for us, but I'll be amazed if both return and are suddenly top 6 players. Even when both were good neither were consistently good. My hope is Hughton can manage them well like Davies did McGugan.

First Team

Sounds like I missed that coz I definitely can't remember it. From what I saw he was snatching at chances and unable to threaten at all, but if he produced a chance and I missed it fair enough. Gives a bot more hope.

I'll say this though Matt, both with Nuno & Carva I think you're talking yourself into some disappointment mate. I think they've a place and a job they can do for us, but I'll be amazed if both return and are suddenly top 6 players. Even when both were good neither were consistently good. My hope is Hughton can manage them well like Davies did McGugan.
    I think youíre overestimating what itís gonna take to be a top 6 side this season too! The quality of the division is fuckin shocking. It wonít take much for us to be challenging at the tight end of the table.

I think Carvalho walks into pretty much any side in this division apart from the 3 relegated teams. I think most of our starting 11 do, tbh; which says much more about them than it does about us

I think youíre overestimating what itís gonna take to be a top 6 side this season too! The quality of the division is fuckin shocking. It wonít take much for us to be challenging at the tight end of the table.

I think Carvalho walks into pretty much any side in this division apart from the 3 relegated teams. I think most of our starting 11 do, tbh; which says much more about them than it does about us
    Well I hope you're right. Fingers crossed

First Team

Default Current state of the squad

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Sorry but I don't agree. It's a poor starting XI; very weak at full back, lacking in quality in midfield and a strike force that will struggle to get 10 goals between them. We need 4 or 5 good signings just to get to mid table standard, never mind the play offs. As things stand at the moment, I'd be happy just to avoid relegation. Regardless of who we sign between now and the end of the window, we'll probably start this season as poorly as we did the last one too (given that any signings we make won't have time to settle in or have a pre-season), I don't expect us to win any of our August fixtures.
    Just to be clear - you think Lolley, Johnson, Grabban, Mighten, Carvalho and Nuno/Taylor (whichever stays) will get less than 10 goals between them?

I did highlight left back is weak and we could probably do with a new right back, so acknowledge your comments on FB. I think centrally though, the spine of the team is as strong or stronger than most in the division. Samba is a top 3 keeper, Worrall/McKenna probably both in the top 10 CBs, Yates and Colback probably top 15 in terms of defensive numbers.

Agree we need someone to step up as a lynchpin midfield to play the ĎGarnerí role, ideally Garner himself, but weíve got much more quality in front of the CDMs this year than we had last year. I hand on heart believe that Johnson, Mighten and Carvalho will do better numbers than Freeman, Knockaert and Krovinovic. Especially if we add someone like Zinckernagel and/or Flemming.

Viv Anderson

All the business will be over this coming week because the loans will be decided. We have always signed players in clusters under EM.

If we go into the season with no signings I will eat my hat.

I love a bit of optimism, but I'm not sure if I feel it yet. Our squad is currently weaker than it was at the end of last season, Hughton undoubtedly improved us defensively and made us harder to beat, but still only achieved around 0.10 points per game more than Rooney did with all Derby's problems.

Without significant new and better players, we'll do well to make the top half. Better that fans temper their expectations even if we make a good start.

Matchday Squad

I admire your optimism.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    I admire your optimism.
    �� Can't help myself, even when I'm trying to be realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest_Grump View Post
    I love a bit of optimism, but I'm not sure if I feel it yet. Our squad is currently weaker than it was at the end of last season, Hughton undoubtedly improved us defensively and made us harder to beat, but still only achieved around 0.10 points per game more than Rooney did with all Derby's problems.

Without significant new and better players, we'll do well to make the top half. Better that fans temper their expectations even if we make a good start.
    Pretty much we're I'm at.

I don't think we're relegation material like some suggest, and if a few like Lolley, Grabs, Carva etc. do come good we still could be in for a good season.

But I still make us very much outsiders with the current squad, and it wouldn't half be nice to have a Davies-esq season, expect little & be surprised, rather than the usual season of expect loads and be disappointed.

Last edited by Alf-engelos Mindminackers; Today at 12:41.

Grenville Morris

Yeah I'm hopeful and optimistic with the young uns coming through but whilst they are technically decent, I think we are lacking a bit of bite, aggression and leadership.

Nigel Clough

Just to be clear - you think Lolley, Johnson, Grabban, Mighten, Carvalho and Nuno/Taylor (whichever stays) will get less than 10 goals between them?

I did highlight left back is weak and we could probably do with a new right back, so acknowledge your comments on FB. I think centrally though, the spine of the team is as strong or stronger than most in the division. Samba is a top 3 keeper, Worrall/McKenna probably both in the top 10 CBs, Yates and Colback probably top 15 in terms of defensive numbers.

Agree we need someone to step up as a lynchpin midfield to play the ‘Garner’ role, ideally Garner himself, but we’ve got much more quality in front of the CDMs this year than we had last year. I hand on heart believe that Johnson, Mighten and Carvalho will do better numbers than Freeman, Knockaert and Krovinovic. Especially if we add someone like Zinckernagel and/or Flemming.
    I was referring more to our strikers (a past it Grabban, Taylor who is a bad fit for the club and Da Costa who has never been prolific). I think Lolley, Johnson and Mighten will do quite well and probably outscore our strikers.

I think one of Cafu or Colback next to Garner (or a sufficient replacement) would be fine, but without Garner or a sufficient replacement it looks a bit poor. I don't rate Yates as anything more than a situational squad player.

I think we need a left back, a right back (if non of the young lads step up), a Garner replacement and a new first choice striker to field a decent starting XI. And perhaps one or two players to compete with/ offer something different to the supporting three of Lolley, Johnson and Mighten.

First Team

I was referring more to our strikers (a past it Grabban, Taylor who is a bad fit for the club and Da Costa who has never been prolific). I think Lolley, Johnson and Mighten will do quite well and probably outscore our strikers.

I think one of Cafu or Colback next to Garner (or a sufficient replacement) would be fine, but without Garner or a sufficient replacement it looks a bit poor. I don't rate Yates as anything more than a situational squad player.

I think we need a left back, a right back (if non of the young lads step up), a Garner replacement and a new first choice striker to field a decent starting XI. And perhaps one or two players to compete with/ offer something different to the supporting three of Lolley, Johnson and Mighten.
    Ah okay. Well, form suggests Grabban can score 15-20 goals given service and I would tend to lean towards that happening again.

Canít wait for Yates to prove you wrong this season!

So basically we agree on the additions apart from id have a winger rather than a striker

Nigel Clough

Ah okay. Well, form suggests Grabban can score 15-20 goals given service and I would tend to lean towards that happening again.

Can’t wait for Yates to prove you wrong this season!

So basically we agree on the additions apart from id have a winger rather than a striker
    I just think Grabban looks a shadow of his former self, which isn't surprising considering his age. Really don't see him hitting double figures in this league again.

I thought our best midfield last season was Cafu and Garner, with Krovinovic in front of them; we were really poor prior to that. I'd love for Yates to prove me wrong but I don't see it, I just don't think he's good enough to be a regular starter in this league (in midfield at least anyway) and think our midfield will struggle if he's first choice.

I'd like a winger and/ or another attacking midfielder (Zinckernagel and Flemming would be good, though the former won't happen until the end of the window and a deal for the latter looks dead in the water at the moment) but I reckon a striker is more important, none of Grabban, Taylor or Da Costa will come close to scoring double figures this season IMO.

Ian Storey-Moore

Not The Top 20 podcast has us coming in in 11th which is probably just about fair given the gaps in our squad at the moment. A LB is a must if we're to compete but I think we have more in reserve than we realise- I expect Colback to have a bigger impact with a proper pre-season behind him for example.

Grenville Morris

Pretty much we're I'm at.

I don't think we're relegation material like some suggest, and if a few like Lolley, Grabs, Carva etc. do come good we still could be in for a good season.

But I still make us very much outsiders with the current squad, and it wouldn't half be nice to have a Davies-esq season, expect little & be surprised, rather than the usual season of expect loads and be disappointed.
    Our problem is the depth of the squad.

Our first eleven will be fine if Hughton gets it purring...

... but Christmas and Easter periods where there's 5 games in 2 weeks we'll pick up injuries or want to rotate the players for freshness, and that's without considering COVID which could result in us ending up having to play the kids like Derby did if half our small squad goes down with it.

.k I m
    I m u mm

Matchday Squad

Lolley has looked ok in the pre-season matches, but I canít help feeling heís still a major injury risk.

First Team

We've been pretty shite for 18 months. A big ask to turn that around with a couple of returning loanees. Especially considering the gaps that have formed in the squad with this summer's departures.

For me, we still need 4/5 plus replacements for any further departures.

First Team

I just think Grabban looks a shadow of his former self, which isn't surprising considering his age. Really don't see him hitting double figures in this league again.

I thought our best midfield last season was Cafu and Garner, with Krovinovic in front of them; we were really poor prior to that. I'd love for Yates to prove me wrong but I don't see it, I just don't think he's good enough to be a regular starter in this league (in midfield at least anyway) and think our midfield will struggle if he's first choice.

I'd like a winger and/ or another attacking midfielder (Zinckernagel and Flemming would be good, though the former won't happen until the end of the window and a deal for the latter looks dead in the water at the moment) but I reckon a striker is more important, none of Grabban, Taylor or Da Costa will come close to scoring double figures this season IMO.
    I think the reason for grabbans lack of form and Yates looking like he isnít creative enough was Krovinovic. It was great that he put a shift in and played some nice passes in the final third but he didnít have the flair, finishing or creativity to fill the gap we needed from a 10.

He did a job but Johnson and Carvalho are definitely upgrades.

Ian Storey-Moore

Agree we need someone to step up as a lynchpin midfield to play the ‘Garner’ role, ideally Garner himself, but we’ve got much more quality in front of the CDMs this year than we had last year. I hand on heart believe that Johnson, Mighten and Carvalho will do better numbers than Freeman, Knockaert and Krovinovic. Especially if we add someone like Zinckernagel and/or Flemming.
    If those players are as good as you say then it's odd that we underperformed so spectacularly last year. A bit of a hangover from the season before is understandable, but we were poor for the entire duration with supposed top of the table players.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Clarks Tash View Post
    If those players are as good as you say then it's odd that we underperformed so spectacularly last year. A bit of a hangover from the season before is understandable, but we were poor for the entire duration with supposed top of the table players.
    We did spectacularly underperform last year. And Iím talking about this season, where the quality of the division is significantly lower than it was last season.

Ian Storey-Moore

We did spectacularly underperform last year. And I’m talking about this season, where the quality of the division is significantly lower than it was last season.
    Unfortunately so is the quality of our squad.