Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin McDonald

Banned

Default Re: Kevin McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by BryanRoy22 View Post
    Jokanovic not happy and sounds like we're putting some serious pressure on to sign McDonald before the Millwall game.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/...ransfer-255588
    Fuck him , I am still waiting for him to finish that book.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Best served cold

Quote Originally Posted by IJPS View Post
    I think we are being too optimistic re our targets.
    MM is cover for DM, so i imagine thats why we are looking for, in MW words, an AM, its really the only place we have no cover. 7m on a player with our finances would be naive, unless very generous payment terms are agreed.
    Not when you've sold a player for £15 million. If you tot up all the transfer fees we've paid they won't be anywhere near that soon terms of fees we will still be in profit.

There's wages to consider but a few players have left or are leaving which again frees up money. I actually think what the club have done in using Britts sale to cover these transfers and taking it as a potential opportunity to bring in a player they otherwise wouldn't be able to afford is very clever.

"I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers

Matchday Squad

Is it about now that McDonald signs a new contract with Fulham??

Grenville Morris

We still have to be prudent with what we spend even after the Britt sale. If we dropped £7m on McDonald then we're probably in a weaker financial position than we were before we sold Britt given the additional lift in wages, signing on fees, agent fees etc.

As I said for the Murphy deal - if we're going to spend relatively large amounts (and I consider £2m on a 34 year old exactly that), then it has to be more than just improving the team a little bit. It has to give us the impetus to chase a top six spot, or, failing that, the players we bring in have to have the potential to fetch up even greater sums in the future.

Neither Murphy or McDonald offer that, so if we spunk £10m on them combined and finish 14th, then it'll have been a complete waste of money.

.k I m
    I m u mm

Ale ape.

Default Re: Jim McDonald

I've actually never noticed this guy.

First Team

Sign him up, 5 year deal, premiership by 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viv Anderson

Are we even interested or are the post struggling for stories?

Upper Decker

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    We still have to be prudent with what we spend even after the Britt sale. If we dropped £7m on McDonald then we're probably in a weaker financial position than we were before we sold Britt given the additional lift in wages, signing on fees, agent fees etc.

As I said for the Murphy deal - if we're going to spend relatively large amounts (and I consider £2m on a 34 year old exactly that), then it has to be more than just improving the team a little bit. It has to give us the impetus to chase a top six spot, or, failing that, the players we bring in have to have the potential to fetch up even greater sums in the future.

Neither Murphy or McDonald offer that, so if we spunk £10m on them combined and finish 14th, then it'll have been a complete waste of money.
    As discussed earlier in the thread, there is zero chance of us paying £7m for Kevin McDonald.

That is the figure Fulham slapped on him to warn us off, which is why MW and McP were looking at other targets such as GG. Something has obviously changed at their end if they're now open to offers and their coach is pissed off.

THE TRUTH IS THERE AND WITH IT I GO TO THE END OF THE WORLD .

Viv Anderson

Come again?

Ian Storey-Moore

Quote Originally Posted by incapable hulk View Post
    Not when you've sold a player for £15 million. If you tot up all the transfer fees we've paid they won't be anywhere near that soon terms of fees we will still be in profit.

There's wages to consider but a few players have left or are leaving which again frees up money. I actually think what the club have done in using Britts sale to cover these transfers and taking it as a potential opportunity to bring in a player they otherwise wouldn't be able to afford is very clever.
    Do your calculations of the Britt sale include agents fees, Peterborough sell on fee, Brits pay off for re-signing before, and tax? I don't think we've much left.

Pork - Stuffing - Apple Sauce

Matchday Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Fawazzock View Post
    Do your calculations of the Britt sale include agents fees, Peterborough sell on fee, Brits pay off for re-signing before, and tax? I don't think we've much left.
    Don't forget the Gunther money though!!

Best served cold

Do you have those figures?

Upper Decker

Quote Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
    Come again?
    deja vu

Best served cold

Aye there's no chance it's that much. The fee will be significant but structured in a way that makes it feasible. Probably due to the windfall from the Britt sale. Britts wages, bonuses etc are no longer being paid for so will contribute towards McDonald's wages. So you've got McDonald, a top player at this level (by all accounts) in the one position that's been our biggest weakness for several years. Sounds like a shrewd move to me & we'd probably be significantly stronger on the pitch than we would if we'd kept hold of Britt.

Lots of players have gone whether they are loans finished up, contracts ending or whatever and there are none of the hangers on behind the scenes so money is naturally freed up there too.

The squad last season avoided relegation on the last day because it was weak in plenty of areas. It was always going to need significant investment anyway. That the club seems to have been able to do so much of it within the framework of the Assombalonga sale seems pretty smart. Sometimes you have to pay over the odds to get quality that will be a critical part of turning the club around. Murphy's price seems high but his influence on the young players the club is building around will be massive. The idea of signing young gems whose value will "only" increase is great but in practice it's a lot harder and if it was that easy everybody would be doing it.

Promotion may not be on the agenda this season but signings like McDonald & Murphy make it a more realistic proposition for next season and ensure your squads development is further along more quickly.

Upper Decker

If we get him I bet the initial figure is more like £3m.

Ian Storey-Moore

I've no idea, but my vague guess pulled out of my arse is:

£5.5m original fee
    £1m Britt + Agent fee
    £1m Peterborough sell on
    £1m tax

Around £6.5m left

£2m Murphy
    £1m Darikwa
    £1m Cummings
    £0.5m McKay

So £2m left

Not sure about our general financial state, though the report from Swiss Ramble a while back was horrific.

Grenville Morris

£5.5m original fee
    £1m Britt + Agent fee
    £1m Peterborough sell on
    £1m tax

Around £6.5m left

£2m Murphy
    £1m Darikwa
    £1m Cummings
    £0.5m McKay

So £2m left

Not sure about our general financial state, though the report from Swiss Ramble a while back was horrific.
    We've had Britt for a while so most of the original fee will have been amortised off already. We also won't pay tax on the sale because you pay tax only on annual profit, of which we make £0.

There's also signin on fee and agent bonuses to all the players we brought in.

Wally Ardron

Quote Originally Posted by incapable hulk View Post
    ....a top player at this level (by all accounts)
    This is the bit that concerns me. Despite the fact that he's been playing in this league for a good few seasons now, everyone that I can see commenting seems to be relying on somebody else's assumption that the guy's actually a top player. There are clearly a good few on this forum that watch football other than Forest but very few that seem to personally vouch for his ability to perform at that level. The Fulham midfield was great last season (against us at least) but it's possible that it was the combination of the three players that really worked and I worry that we're so desparate to find a midfield solution that this guy's been built up to be something he's not. We can't afford to blow millions on a dud.

Ian Storey-Moore

£5.5m original fee
    £1m Britt + Agent fee
    £1m Peterborough sell on
    £1m tax

Around £6.5m left

£2m Murphy
    £1m Darikwa
    £1m Cummings
    £0.5m McKay

So £2m left

why would his original fee (paid 3 years ago) and whatever bonus we paid him and his agent when he signed his most recent Forest deal (nearly a year ago) have any impact on what we can spend now?

Best served cold

Quote Originally Posted by andover red View Post
    This is the bit that concerns me. Despite the fact that he's been playing in this league for a good few seasons now, everyone that I can see commenting seems to be relying on somebody else's assumption that the guy's actually a top player. There are clearly a good few on this forum that watch football other than Forest but very few that seem to personally vouch for his ability to perform at that level. The Fulham midfield was great last season (against us at least) but it's possible that it was the combination of the three players that really worked and I worry that we're so desparate to find a midfield solution that this guy's been built up to be something he's not. We can't afford to blow millions on a dud.
    A fair point, but the same goes for a majority of the players we've signed. The majority of us focus on Forest and then learn about potential new players after the fact. I know more about McDonald than I did about Assombalonga when we were first linked with him, for example.

I was talking to a Wolves supporting mate on Saturday and they were raving about McDonald. He was part of that team that came back up from Division 3 so he's only been back at this level for 2 years I think.

There are always risks with any signing but Warburton, McParland and the new regime behind the scenes all seem to have a very strong record when it comes to recruitment. Something that is repeatedly overlooked is that Warburton isn't someone who usually likes to throw around money so when he does you can bet it's someone he thinks is special and will drastically improve the team.

Upper Decker

He was 4th best in Whoscored's list of DMs last season.

Every transfer is a gamble to some extent, but at least with this one we know he's proven at Championship level.

Ian Storey-Moore

£5.5m original fee
    £1m Britt + Agent fee
    £1m Peterborough sell on
    £1m tax

Around £6.5m left

£2m Murphy
    £1m Darikwa
    £1m Cummings
    £0.5m McKay

So £2m left

Forget Swiss Ramble; forget the original Britt Fee. Believe that the Greek bought the club WITHOUT a huge millstone round it's neck. We're never going to hear the full story but we were told that Fawaz QUITE RIGHTLY had put the Burke and Lans moneys into our coffers. Realistically, the Greek wouldn't have bought us if Fawaz hadn't done this. This left us about £5 million in the red.

Since then, we've had around 16,000 fans who've bought season tickets. And we'll get a fair few through the gate every game on top of this. A few might have the stomach for some of the food and drink served up. So, can we afford to buy McDonald? I should bloody well hope so. Do we need him? I'll trust in the manager over that one.

Grenville Morris

How have you got to '£5m in the red'?

Impressive member

McDonald used to play for Sheff Utd. I am not sure but I wonder if it was during David Weir's time there. If so, he must know something about this lad's attributes.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Wally Ardron

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    If we get him I bet the initial figure is more like £3m.
    I agree with this. It may even be less, say 2 million with add-ons. This is a player who has played the majority of his career at a lower level. He has never changed club for more than 750,000 as far as we know. The Fulham fee was undisclosed. His value will reflect his history. Mind you,I didn't expect us to spend 2 million on Murphy! So what do I know?