Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 147 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149 ... LastLast
Results 3,651 to 3,675 of 3788

Thread: Joe Worrall Appreciation Thread

Nigel Clough

Default Re: Joe Worrall Appreciation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    At what age do "kids" become adults in your eyes? 14/15 or when they are classed as adults by the rest of the world at 18?

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
    Well he's 18 so he's legally an adult, suppose young player (considering he could presumably still play U18s or would have last season) probably better fit than the actual loosely defined "kid". And what congo said really...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior doom Monger

At what age do "kids" become adults in your eyes? 14/15 or when they are classed as adults by the rest of the world at 18?

My kids are 36, 34, and 26.
    Not one of them I'd regard as adult.

Massive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    My kids are 36, 34, and 26.
    Not one of them I'd regard as adult.
    I don't regard myself as an adult to be fair Cap.

Last edited by Carlos; 25-02-21 at 18:09.

Senior doom Monger

I don't regard myself as an adult to be fair Cap.

Now you mention it, I have rejected adulthood as a status all my life.
    It is much more fun being an irresponsible kid!

Matchday Squad

Quote Originally Posted by congo_red View Post
    I know you weren't asking me, but it's a moving number for me. Anyone 5 years or more younger than me is a 'kid'.
    There must be an equation defining a “kid” relative to your age.

....rather like the one that defines when a younger woman is old enough to be a legitimate figure of lust or too young ie pervery

13th Duke of Wybourne

Quote Originally Posted by cheapseats View Post
    There must be an equation defining a “kid” relative to your age.

....rather like the one that defines when a younger woman is old enough to be a legitimate figure of lust or too young ie pervery
    Half your age plus 7.

"Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    If I recall correctly, Aitor was absolutely on the money to loan him out to Rangers.
    While there he really struggled at first, making a lot of errors and he was beched rather than started at first.
    The Ranger's fans thought he was a liability for the first few weeks of his loan spell.
    Gradually, being alongside decent pros and under the tutelage of Gerrard and his staff, Joe's game improved and he returned to Forest a far more accomplished and rounded player.
    I wonder if he would have got to where he is now, confident, a good leader and skilled in reading the game, if he had not gone.
    We won't know - it was (to use a cliche) a sliding doors moment when he went up into the pub league north of the border.
    I disagreed at the time and I still think it was the wrong decision to send him out on loan to Rangers. He was on a level with the other central defenders at the time, and was only going to get better. Instead we loaned him out and replaced him with Hefele, paying half a million + wages for the privilege, as well as Ben the Loon and Milesivic later in the season. Even at that young age he'd shown real leadership and responsibility. Karanka dropped the ball there.

“Yeah, let’s not kid ourselves, though. We didn’t play Barcelona, it was Derby."

This man should be leading the team out on to the pitch for the next 10-15 years

Ian Storey-Moore

It annoys me so much that once Grabban comes back in, Joe has to hand over the captain's armband.

Quote Originally Posted by Trents View Post
    It annoys me so much that once Grabban comes back in, Joe has to hand over the captain's armband.
    Some reasons I speculate Hughton might be doing this:

1) Make Grabs feel as if he's the top boy, to build his confidence (whether it's working or not is debateable of course)
    2) Also make Grabs feel as if he's valued here, because Hoots is aware the club has blown all it's dollar on players now worth threpance like Carva, so sees him as a potential 20-goal man for next season
    3) Take the pressure off Wozza for this year whilst he continues to grow in the role, and keep him hungry for the armband
    4) Also take the focus of Wozza a bit too, so that he's not in the limelight as much and might be more likely to stay

?

I do know I trust Hughton & his methods though, so sit here anticipating it to payoff in some way at some point, as opposed to baffled like when McClown dropped Cohen

Ian Storey-Moore

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post

1) Make Grabs feel as if he's the top boy, to build his confidence (whether it's working or not is debateable of course)
    2) Also make Grabs feel as if he's valued here, because Hoots is aware the club has blown all it's dollar on players now worth threpance like Carva, so sees him as a potential 20-goal man for next season
    3) Take the pressure off Wozza for this year whilst he continues to grow in the role, and keep him hungry for the armband
    4) Also take the focus of Wozza a bit too, so that he's not in the limelight as much and might be more likely to stay

?

I do know I trust Hughton & his methods though, so sit here anticipating it to payoff in some way at some point, as opposed to baffled like when McClown dropped Cohen
    Good points Alf. I would say the additional pressure is having an adverse effect on Grabs though.

There have been many examples of centre backs raising their game with the armband, I think Joe has demonstrated this recently already and would work wonders for his career going forward if he kept it. He's 24 now, no longer fresh out of the academy. A local lad who bleeds the garibaldi. I hate the term, but would call it a 'no brainer' to make him club captain.

Viv Anderson

Apart from Grabs not really being the archetypal captain who encourages and cajoles performances out of his team mates, I've always been of the opinion that central defenders are best placed to perform that role.

Perhaps growing up when Billy Wright was the natural England captain has something to do with it.

Wally Ardron

In Joe Worrall, I almost saw a younger Michael Dawson being interviewed last night.

I've always thought he's a class player and almost certainly next season's club captain, provided we don't receive a ridiculous offer.

Ian Storey-Moore

We need to stay strong this summer and keep Joe, this is the year to gamble and ignore FFP, we have the best manager in the league and a half decent squad, keep the core together, add one or two and we will be top two in a years time.

Nigel Clough

If we ignore FFP, we'll be hit with a points deduction and transfer embargo in the following season. It'd be a shit or bust scenario where we would have to go up next season or we'd end up in the same position as Sheffield Wednesday are in now. I'd rather we didn't gamble the clubs future in that way.

Ian Storey-Moore

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    If we ignore FFP, we'll be hit with a points deduction and transfer embargo in the following season. It'd be a shit or bust scenario where we would have to go up next season or we'd end up in the same position as Sheffield Wednesday are in now. I'd rather we didn't gamble the clubs future in that way.
    I’m bored of being the good guys in a relegation battle, let’s be the bad guys and win the league.

Nigel Clough

Quote Originally Posted by Haych View Post
    I’m bored of being the good guys in a relegation battle, let’s be the bad guys and win the league.
    Even if we did take that gamble, it would be unlikely that we'd get promoted next season (parachute payment clubs will have the same or more financial firepower, an already better squad without the pressure of needing promotion instantly). It's the football equivalent of selling your house and spending the money on lottery tickets; fantastic if you win, but if you don't your proper fucked.

Upper Decker

We tried this under those club wreckers Fawaz and Davies, and ended up in a lengthy transfer embargo as a result. No thanks.

One thing I'm sure of is that EM won't gamble the future of the club like that pair were happy to do.

Last edited by Ravi; 27-02-21 at 12:55.
    THE TRUTH IS THERE AND WITH IT I GO TO THE END OF THE WORLD .

There will likely come a point where we have to gamble to take us to the next level, such is our current plight. I'm happy to do that if the timing is right. But for me that timing would be when we're top 2 and the autos are i our grasp.

Hopefully between fees bought in for bomb squadders, and the wages we free up by getting them off them, there's enough funds to keep Wozza here & be FFP compliant.

Selling Worrall is financially also very short term. Free up the wage bill from the likes of Hef, Sow, Artur, Jenks, Da Costa, Carvalho, Yuri/Ianwoanou etc. and we'll save plenty. If those eight players are on 15k/wk average (which with Artur, Hef & Jenks in there coming from the Prem I think is realistic to lift the average up) that's 6.2m per year saved straight off. EVERY year. Selling Worrall covers that fully for 1 year alone.

It's why the answer was to not entrust Anigo, Modesto, Vrentroz & co as much with recruitment in the first place. Because despite us having great management in place now, it's handicapped by the shiteness of seasons past.

But who could have seen that coming right?

Nigel Clough

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    We tried this under those club wreckers Fawaz and Davies, and ended up in a lengthy transfer embargo as a result. No thanks.

One thing I'm sure if is that EM won't gamble the future of the club like that pair were happy to do.
    Exactly, the transfer embargo season and the season after that under Montanier (where we were still feeling the effects of having to cut costs) were absolutely miserable, and it'd be even worse if we breached FFP now, given that they also dish out points deductions these days. It's not worth the risk.

Nigel Clough

There will likely come a point where we have to gamble to take us to the next level, such is our current plight. I'm happy to do that if the timing is right. But for me that timing would be when we're top 2 and the autos are i our grasp.

Hopefully between fees bought in for bomb squadders, and the wages we free up by getting them off them, there's enough funds to keep Wozza here & be FFP compliant.

Selling Worrall is financially also very short term. Free up the wage bill from the likes of Hef, Sow, Artur, Jenks, Da Costa, Carvalho, Yuri/Ianwoanou etc. and we'll save plenty. If those eight players are on 15k/wk average (which with Artur, Hef & Jenks in there coming from the Prem I think is realistic to lift the average up) that's 6.2m per year saved straight off. EVERY year. Selling Worrall covers that fully for 1 year alone.

It's why the answer was to not entrust Anigo, Modesto, Vrentroz & co as much with recruitment in the first place. Because despite us having great management in place now, it's handicapped by the shiteness of seasons past.

But who could have seen that coming right?
    Non-parachute payment clubs have gotten promoted without gambling the clubs future though. It will require us to operate in a much smarter manner than we have so far under EM though, and will require us to keep the faith with the current manager for a few years at least.

Part of the reason we struggle to keep hold of players is our massive wage bill, thanks to our scattergun transfer policy of signing an entire new squad every summer. The club bleeds ludicrous amounts of money paying players who contribute little to nothing.

Unless we somehow raise enough money from selling fringe players, we won't have much choice but to sell Worrall. It is unlikely we will be able to raise the money we need otherwise, unless we can get another club buying Grabban and Lolley for decent money based on their past reputation or some club is willing to pay mental money for Mighten.

If we don't raise enough money through sales in the summer, Hughton won't have the funds to rebuild over the summer and we'll tread water anyway. Unless we go the 'shit or bust' route, which is far more likely to land us in League One (or worse) in a few years then see us promoted.

Going forward, we need to be much smarter in the transfer market; quality over quantity, not signing players we don't need and when we do have to sell (which should hopefully be less often if we don't clog up the wage bill with crap) we need to make sure that money is spent wisely (unlike how we spunked the Matty Cash fee on mostly crap).

Ian Storey-Moore

I don't think for one minute Joe was trying to engratiate himself with fans about Barcelona comment. He's just saying exactly what he thinks, a good lad and born leader.
    He needs to stay at Forest, he'll definitely become a club legend He's getting better each game and having some talented individuals around him helps his game for sure.

Oh...he fucking hates derby.

Ian Storey-Moore

Quote Originally Posted by Haych View Post
    We need to stay strong this summer and keep Joe, this is the year to gamble and ignore FFP, we have the best manager in the league and a half decent squad, keep the core together, add one or two and we will be top two in a years time.
    I tend to agree, it's very much about momentum. Hughton has the team believing in themselves and they're enjoying football again, plenty of smiles last night despite the obvious pressure against the knuckledraggers

Ian Storey-Moore

?

On the flip side Worral looks like he thrives on being captain and he's less likely to leave if he has that extra responsibility (hopefully).

Non-parachute payment clubs have gotten promoted without gambling the clubs future though. It will require us to operate in a much smarter manner than we have so far under EM though, and will require us to keep the faith with the current manager for a few years at least.

Part of the reason we struggle to keep hold of players is our massive wage bill, thanks to our scattergun transfer policy of signing an entire new squad every summer. The club bleeds ludicrous amounts of money paying players who contribute little to nothing.

Unless we somehow raise enough money from selling fringe players, we won't have much choice but to sell Worrall. It is unlikely we will be able to raise the money we need otherwise, unless we can get another club buying Grabban and Lolley for decent money based on their past reputation or some club is willing to pay mental money for Mighten.

If we don't raise enough money through sales in the summer, Hughton won't have the funds to rebuild over the summer and we'll tread water anyway. Unless we go the 'shit or bust' route, which is far more likely to land us in League One (or worse) in a few years then see us promoted.

Going forward, we need to be much smarter in the transfer market; quality over quantity, not signing players we don't need and when we do have to sell (which should hopefully be less often if we don't clog up the wage bill with crap) we need to make sure that money is spent wisely (unlike how we spunked the Matty Cash fee on mostly crap).
    Totally agree mate. The fringe-selling is definitely idealistic, but I hope that we're at least giving it a go.

I don't want us to go "shit or bust", but I think we need to be prepared for potentially going all-in to get us over the line.

Hopefully it won't come to that, but I'm not against dangerous gambles if they're considered and timed right.