Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

View Poll Results: Should he stay or should he go?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • #Brexit

9 15.52%
  • #Remainalonga

49 84.48%
Page 170 of 174 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172 ... LastLast
Results 4,226 to 4,250 of 4331
    Matchday Squad

Default Re: Britt Curtis Assombalonga

Released by Colin Wanker at Boro four games before the end of the season - so could take him for free now ....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The Foam Hand

Probably had his best times here and would fancy it.

“What’s that coming over the hill
    Assombalonga, Assombalonga”!

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Probably had his best times here and would fancy it.

“What’s that coming over the hill
    Assombalonga, Assombalonga”!
    Over the hill?

Will we ever learn?

Nigel Clough

I’m not sure he’s as good as he was before his knee injury and he’d want a lot more in wages now. Might be worth a punt though, I can’t see us paying much of a fee, if any, for a striker this summer, so the likes if Assombalonga or Diedhou at Bristol City on frees might be our best bet.

Or a loan player. There will be a lot of loans about this season. Someone like Nketiah or Balogun from Arsenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viv Anderson

Could we get a better striker than Britt for free?? If his wages are reasonable I'd take him without question.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Nigel Clough

Quote Originally Posted by gamble View Post
    Could we get a better striker than Britt for free?? If his wages are reasonable I'd take him without question.

I doubt his wages will be reasonable, and the Britt Assombalonga of 2021 is nothing to shout about. He's being released by Middlesbrough for a reason.

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    I doubt his wages will be reasonable, and the Britt Assombalonga of 2021 is nothing to shout about. He's being released by Middlesbrough for a reason.
    We released McGoldrick and didn't play Sharp and they both fired United to the Prem, people have bad seasons or aren't suited to managers styles.

Brit knows how to score, and like I said his wages have to be reasonable for it to be worth it.

Nigel Clough

We released McGoldrick and didn't play Sharp and they both fired United to the Prem, people have bad seasons or aren't suited to managers styles.

Brit knows how to score, and like I said his wages have to be reasonable for it to be worth it.

Britt's situation isn't the case of a player being a bad fit though, but rather a player in decline. He can't score goals in a much better side than Forest are currently, I doubt he'd do much here other than clog up the wage bill and keep Carl Jenkinson company in the bomb squad.

Filling our squad with players whose best days are behind them is a big part of the reason why this season has panned out the way it has. Signing players like Britt would just indicate that we have learned nothing from the mistakes that we made last summer.

Rather than signing a Britt who is a shadow of his former self, I'd rather we looked to the lower leagues to find the next Britt.

Last edited by Ashley; 21-04-21 at 23:35.

Viv Anderson

Britt's situation isn't the case of a player being a bad fit though, but rather a player in decline. He can't score goals in a much better side than Forest are currently, I doubt he'd do much here other than clog up the wage bill and keep Carl Jenkinson company in the bomb squad.

Filling our squad with players whose best days are behind them is a big part of the reason why this season has panned out the way it has. Signing players like Britt would just indicate that we have learned nothing from the mistakes that we made last summer.

Rather than signing a Britt who is a shadow of his former self, I'd rather we looked to the lower leagues to find the next Britt.
    The next Britt will cost 5-8million which we don't have. He's still averaged 1in3 except this season, I can't say if he's lost it as I haven't watched enough of Boro this season.

Viv Anderson

Something odds going off at Boro aswell, they aren't even putting a full bench out anymore, the only had 5 subs today.

Senior doom Monger

Quote Originally Posted by RealRed85 View Post
    I’m not sure he’s as good as he was before his knee injury and he’d want a lot more in wages now. Might be worth a punt though, I can’t see us paying much of a fee, if any, for a striker this summer, so the likes if Assombalonga or Diedhou at Bristol City on frees might be our best bet.

Or a loan player. There will be a lot of loans about this season. Someone like Nketiah or Balogun from Arsenal.

He was excellent until the awful knee injury.
    He has done nothing since coming back fro tht injury, and is unlikelt to reverse the downward curve on his career graph.
    Avoid and find someone on the upswing.

Nigel Clough

The next Britt will cost 5-8million which we don't have. He's still averaged 1in3 except this season, I can't say if he's lost it as I haven't watched enough of Boro this season.

11 last season, 5 this season. 16 goals in 60+ games over the last couple of years. Its hardly stellar and shows a downward trend.

The biggest obstacle we have when signing players is wages more than transfer fees. £5m isn't that much for a first choice striker nowadays (given that transfer fees are usually paid in installments, it would be less per year than some of the loan signings we've made). Britt's wages won't be cheap, he'd easily be the highest paid player at the club if he came here and would want a lengthy contract.

Signing players on lengthy, lucrative contracts on the basis of what they did years ago is never a good idea, especially for a non-parachute payment club like Nottingham Forest.

First Team

Something odds going off at Boro aswell, they aren't even putting a full bench out anymore, the only had 5 subs today.

Warnock knows what he's doing.

They have nothing to play for, so concentrating on those who will be here next season isn't a bad move. Hughton is shrewd enough to be thinking similar.

Viv Anderson

11 last season, 5 this season. 16 goals in 60+ games over the last couple of years. Its hardly stellar and shows a downward trend.

The biggest obstacle we have when signing players is wages more than transfer fees. £5m isn't that much for a first choice striker nowadays (given that transfer fees are usually paid in installments, it would be less per year than some of the loan signings we've made). Britt's wages won't be cheap, he'd easily be the highest paid player at the club if he came here and would want a lengthy contract.

Signing players on lengthy, lucrative contracts on the basis of what they did years ago is never a good idea, especially for a non-parachute payment club like Nottingham Forest.
    Wages and transfer fees are essentially one and the same, if you spend 5m on a player over 4 years that's the equivalent of 25k PW in wages. If you then pay them 15k PW in wages that's the equivalent of 40k per week on a free transfer.

You've also chosen select stats to prove yoir point, Britt's got 45 goals in about 150 games so 1 goal in 3 since he joined Boro, is he massive on decline and won't score more than 10 again? I don't know.

Also I said if his wages weren't too expensive, if be wants 50k per week then fuck him off, if he wants something more reasonable then there rooms for a discussion.

Nigel Clough

Quote Originally Posted by Statto View Post
    Warnock knows what he's doing.

They have nothing to play for, so concentrating on those who will be here next season isn't a bad move. Hughton is shrewd enough to be thinking similar.
    Yep. He's sent Britt and Fletcher packing early, the only other out of contract player they are playing at the moment (Johnson I think) is currently negotiating a new contract. Their subs are mostly academy players, who are getting a run out with an eye on next season.

Warnock knows his onions at this level. If he's willing to let Britt and Fletcher (two players Boro paid a lot of money for) go on a free then it isn't without good reason.

Nigel Clough

Wages and transfer fees are essentially one and the same, if you spend 5m on a player over 4 years that's the equivalent of 25k PW in wages. If you then pay them 15k PW in wages that's the equivalent of 40k per week on a free transfer.

You've also chosen select stats to prove yoir point, Britt's got 45 goals in about 150 games so 1 goal in 3 since he joined Boro, is he massive on decline and won't score more than 10 again? I don't know.

Are stats from over 2 seasons ago really all that relevant? A player who hasn't set the world alight for a couple of years probably isn't going to start producing his form from years ago now.

Signing Britt would be no different to signing the likes of Murphy, Adomah, Colback, Arter, Knockaert, Murray and numerous other 'past it' players that people on this forum use as a stick to beat the club with over the years. All signed on past reputation rather than anything they have done recently.

Personally I think its time we tried something different rather than chucking money at a player who was half decent some years ago.

Viv Anderson

Are stats from over 2 seasons ago really all that relevant? A player who hasn't set the world alight for a couple of years probably isn't going to start producing his form from years ago now.

Signing Britt would be no different to signing the likes of Murphy, Adomah, Colback, Arter, Knockaert, Murray and numerous other 'past it' players that people on this forum use as a stick to beat the club with over the years. All signed on past reputation rather than anything they have done recently.

Personally I think its time we tried something different rather than chucking money at a player who was half decent some years ago.
    Ironically almost all of those players you've listed was highlighted by most people as excellent signings, Adomah was the only one that allot of people were unsure over, yet with hindsight people use it as a stick, people also slated Watson for 2.5 years yet last season he was the Messiah and we had to keep him on.

Players have good seasons and bad seasons, personally I'd get him in to train and see what he can do.

You are right we do need to stop doing what we've done for years, but it's easier said than done, we tried Aryibi but he didn't make it, we tried Clough I don't need to say anymore about him, we tried up and coming, and older an experienced and nothing has worked and Id say that's more to do with constantly changing approach, style and manager more than the individual players.

Nigel Clough

Ironically almost all of those players you've listed was highlighted by most people as excellent signings, Adomah was the only one that allot of people were unsure over, yet with hindsight people use it as a stick, people also slated Watson for 2.5 years yet last season he was the Messiah and we had to keep him on.

Players have good seasons and bad seasons, personally I'd get him in to train and see what he can do.

You are right we do need to stop doing what we've done for years, but it's easier said than done, we tried Aryibi but he didn't make it, we tried Clough I don't need to say anymore about him, we tried up and coming, and older an experienced and nothing has worked and Id say that's more to do with constantly changing approach, style and manager more than the individual players.

True. I will admit myself that I thought a lot of those aging players were good signings at the time. But as they have not worked out for us and have left us with a massive wage bill full of players who don't contribute, we need to be careful that we don't repeat those mistakes.

If we are to sign players on big wages, I do think it should be a player with a good recent track record. I felt confident that Grabban would score goals for us because he came here off the back of a great season on loan at Sunderland and Villa. I wouldn't be confident in Britt doing well as he hasn't been at the level he was at when he was at Forest for quite some time now.

We are going to have to be careful with what money we have to spend this summer. We probably only have enough money for one new first choice striker next season, so it is important we get it right. If Britt was willing to come here on £10-15k per week then he might be worth a punt, but I don't think he'd even get out of bed for much less than £30k per week (and he'll probably get that to sit on a parachute payment clubs bench for a few years). It just doesn't make sense financially for us to pay that kind of money for a player who hasn't pulled up any trees over the last few years, we just aren't in the position to take that kind of risk.

Matchday Squad

Britt will not be coming here if Rangers are sniffing around, personally not for me.

Gaff Lad

Britt's best days are behind him.

Forest need to be looking in a forward direction not backwards.

I'm hoping the days of the 'Nottingham Forest Glue Factory' will soon be coming to an end.

Nigel Clough

Just because players are free it doesn’t mean they will desperately accept a low wage, come on trial for free or my favourite from fans, accept a “pay as you play” deal.

It’s not the 90s, being a free transfer is the most powerful position for an established player to be in nowadays. With no transfer fee, they ask for huge wages and a chunky signing on fee too. Normally get them too.

The idea that free transfers work out cheap is up there with the idea that loans from PL teams are free too. Not anymore they’re not, they usually come with huge loan fees.

Assombalonga will be looking for his last big payday and he’ll wait until someone offers it. I don’t think he’s worth that anymore, as he seems to be on the decline as a goalscorer.

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    Britt's best days are behind him.

Forest need to be looking in a forward direction not backwards.

I'm hoping the days of the 'Nottingham Forest Glue Factory' will soon be coming to an end.

EXACT SAME BENEFITS

Matchday Squad

A big NO from me.We need to be looking at hungrier and younger players with a sell on value.

Banned

When in recent times have we ever had a player come back and be as good as when they left?

A definite no from me. Not the goalscorer he was.