Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

View Poll Results: Should he stay or should he go?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • #Brexit

9 15.52%
  • #Remainalonga

49 84.48%
Page 109 of 174 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 4331
    Up-Front

Default Re: Britt Curtis Assombalonga

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Anyone ITK? It's 5/1 that he stays with us. Presumably nothing that imminent if he's gone to America.
    He's as good as gone at them odds.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wally Ardron

Hoping he likes it enough here to stick around for a while longer.

He was still coming back to fitness last season and was bound to be rusty and needing confidence yet still bagged plenty.

Don't think people realise how good he is?

Admittedly it's mainly speculative as he's not fulfilled anywhere near his potential yet.

I'm certain it will become more apparent within the next year.

The only issue is the injury.

Confidence is huge in football and gives you the finesse needed.

People said exactly the same about Antonio's first touch yet think Britt has a lot better close control.

He just needs to be playing regularly.

Matchday Squad

Odds on to join Burnley even though they bid around half what it would take, and we've seen how they operate at close quarters with the Lansbury saga.

Up-Front

Quote Originally Posted by redanddeadly View Post
    Hoping he likes it enough here to stick around for a while longer.

He was still coming back to fitness last season and was bound to be rusty and needing confidence yet still bagged plenty.

Don't think people realise how good he is?

Admittedly it's mainly speculative as he's not fulfilled anywhere near his potential yet.

I'm certain it will become more apparent within the next year.

The only issue is the injury.

Confidence is huge in football and gives you the finesse needed.

People said exactly the same about Antonio's first touch yet think Britt has a lot better close control.

He just needs to be playing regularly.
    Whilst there's definitely a debate about whether Britt can operate at the top level, there aint any doubt that he's one of the best in the business in the Championship.

Thing is, the "Britt must stay" folk seem oblivious to the fact the goals we shipped last season almost took us down. The only way to strike a balance between a sustainable concession rate & goals is a successful midfield.

We're a fuckin million miles from that. Britt poaching his own goals is all well & good until you consider how much thats watered down by teams walking round our midfield for fun.

Its not sustainable long term.

Where's me hammer?

Do not read anything into the odds on these markets, they are fed by rumour and moved by the itk idiots.

As soon as any substantial money is added to the market the bookies close it down so they dont get burnt.

I guarantee you could phone up for a price on him going another premier club and completely change the market with less than £50.

Ale ape.

Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    Thing is, the "Britt must stay" folk seem oblivious to the fact the goals we shipped last season almost took us down.
    Was that actually down entirely to 'the squad' or did it have as much to do with PM's obsession with defenders that were either attackers pretending to be defenders (Perreira) or just weren't cut out for the physical nature of the championship (Lam)?

Impressive member

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    so we should be signing britt's replacement before fucking him off ? Pray tell who is capable of being the replacement ?
    No, because we don't know yet whether he will go. But we should be looking around in case he does.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Up-Front

Quote Originally Posted by congo_red View Post
    Was that actually down entirely to 'the squad' or did it have as much to do with PM's obsession with defenders that were either attackers pretending to be defenders (Perreira) or just weren't cut out for the physical nature of the championship (Lam)?
    Wouldnt be pinning this on Montanier, truth is, we haven't "competed" in midfield since Billy left.

Not an expert, but my perception of a successful midfield would be one that attacks & defends as one unit. We can't do that because we've seen a collection of players who can't, won't or haven't got the pace to play up & down the pitch.

Ale ape.

Wouldnt be pinning this on Montanier, truth is, we haven't "competed" in midfield since Billy left.

Not an expert, but my perception of a successful midfield would be one that attacks & defends as one unit. We can't do that because we've seen a collection of players who can't, won't or haven't got the pace to play up & down the pitch.
    I don't disagree - just think the goals shipped figure is slightly inflated by fielding a back-line that by-and-large couldn't defend, on top of the midfield issues (and also, for the most part, a Goalkeeper who made everyone nervous) - we had better defenders in the squad who were better and could have helped. We never had the options to change much in midfield.

Wally Ardron

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Odds on to join Burnley even though they bid around half what it would take, and we've seen how they operate at close quarters with the Lansbury saga.
    More likely to go to boro

Jack Armstrong

We did better in midfield when MW came in but that's because Cohen and Vaughan didn't really move from a 10ft square box near the half way line and just recycled possession for us.

Montannier's midfield was meant to be fluid but in the end was just a bit all over the place. Helped going forward but was punishing when defending. When the confidence dried up we didn't score as many as we had been but still looked vulnerable at the back.

I don't totally blame Montannier but I do think with hindsight he was a bit naive to demands of English football. Not only was the pace of the game much sharper resulting in conceding more when our positioning was poor, but the general fitness of the squad was sub-par also.

30/09/2021: It's only 8 points to the play-offs. Doesn't matter if we're 20th having lost three times as many games as we've won so far. I fancy us now that Hughton's gone.

Wally Ardron

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    but the general fitness of the squad was sub-par also.
    This is a good point, but it should also be noted we didn't have any significant long-term crucial player injuries last year that I can remember, quite remarkable considering the injuries sustained to our key players in the previous 4+ seasons.

All possibly due to the lower impact training methods? Yes, fitness was an issue though in 2016/17.

Best served cold

Quote Originally Posted by congo_red View Post
    They continued to ship goals under Brazil and Warburton, with our heaviest defeat of the season coming away at Norwich when Brazil was in charge.

Neither of those two players you mentioned were involved much, if at all, after PM left in mid January.

PM didn't help but the defensive frailties go beyond him and are hopefully something Warburton can work on sorting out

"I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers

Upper Decker

Yes, changes in manager are largely irrelevant. None of the different managerial tweaks have been able to really address the problems with the pedestrian and one dimensional midfield, or the flow of goals leaked at the back.

Players win you games, not tactics. I'm sure I've heard that said before...

THE TRUTH IS THERE AND WITH IT I GO TO THE END OF THE WORLD .

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Do not read anything into the odds on these markets, they are fed by rumour and moved by the itk idiots.

As soon as any substantial money is added to the market the bookies close it down so they dont get burnt.

I guarantee you could phone up for a price on him going another premier club and completely change the market with less than £50.
    One of the most baffling things in my mind is that people use odds so much to predict X, Y & Z is going to happen.

Wally Ardron

Quote Originally Posted by Rzarecteh View Post
    One of the most baffling things in my mind is that people use odds so much to predict X, Y & Z is going to happen.
    Depends on circumstances but obviously in football it doesn't mean much on it's own.

Up-Front

Quote Originally Posted by Rzarecteh View Post
    No bookmaker would give odds as generous as 5/1 on Britt staying at his existing club unless they had some inside info.

Bookies rarely fuck up, so can be a half decent guide as to the eventual outcome.

Upper Decker

If Britt was at another club in a similar situation, I doubt anyone on here would expect he'd still be at said club on September 1st.

Where's me hammer?

No bookmaker would give odds as generous as 5/1 on Britt staying at his existing club unless they had some inside info.

Bookies rarely fuck up, so can be a half decent guide as to the eventual outcome.
    Depends on the percentage of the market... if the odds on him going all the other options are low 5/1 can sit in the market and the bookies will still make money

Wally Ardron

I'd expect him to be gone judging on interest in him.

The bookies are only reflecting this.

I'd be pretty impressed if we managed to keep him put it that way!

Viv Anderson

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actu...oulouse/816291

Article from L'Equipe saying Boro are in talks with Toulouse over Martin Braithwaite, good striker and I think he'd cost them a fair bob, hopefully an alternative to Britt.

Matchday Squad

[QUOTE=Shipstones Pye Eater;2630891]This is a good point, but it should also be noted we didn't have any significant long-term crucial player injuries last year that I can remember, quite remarkable considering the injuries sustained to our key players in the previous 4+ seasons.

All possibly due to the lower impact training methods? Yes, fitness was an issue though in 2016/17.

Isn't the problem for many of the injuries that the City Ground pitch was like concrete?!

Youth Team

Whilst there's definitely a debate about whether Britt can operate at the top level, there aint any doubt that he's one of the best in the business in the Championship.

Thing is, the "Britt must stay" folk seem oblivious to the fact the goals we shipped last season almost took us down. The only way to strike a balance between a sustainable concession rate & goals is a successful midfield.

We're a fuckin million miles from that. Britt poaching his own goals is all well & good until you consider how much thats watered down by teams walking round our midfield for fun.

Its not sustainable long term.
    Not at all. But perhaps the main reason why we shipped goals last season by the bucket load is because the defence was so unstable in terms of team selection? Obviously that was forced through injuries to a greater degree but with so many changes at LB and CH and using three goalkeepers there's the root of our problems. New players coming in would also not be immune from injury and yes, similar issues exist in midfield. Selling Lansbury also didn't help and we've still to replace his playmaking capability and goals.

What those who call for Britt to be sold to invest the money back into the team assume is a replacement can be found, at a sensible price and indeed the money gained will in fact be used for the purpose. The answer to all those questions is - don't know!

As for shipping goals. Of course this needs to be massively improved this season. I think MW team selection will at least bring stability at the back given they remain free of injury. It's worth noting that the 2015/16 season we conceded only 47 goals, 25 less than last. But we couldn't score at the other end, the season Britt was injured. We finished on 55 points, 4 more than last. No one should delude themselves that Britt is a luxury we can do without. He's a necessity until such time as a proven replacement is secured.

Last edited by '77 Red; 06-07-17 at 14:27.

Up-Front

Quote Originally Posted by '77 Red View Post
    It's worth noting that the 2015/16 season we conceded only 47 goals, 25 less than last. But we couldn't score at the other end, the season Britt was injured. We finished on 55 points, 4 more than last. No one should delude themselves that Britt is a luxury we can do without. He's a necessity until such time as a proven replacement is secured.
    The lack of goals in the 2015/2016 season can be attributed to the managers reluctance to go forward.

We created next to nothing that season, yet we had a very decent striker in Oliveira with his hands on his hips.

The reliance on Britt stems from the fact we concede so many, furthermore conceding fewer goals doesnt mean shutting up shop.

Warburton will be the man to strike the balance, but he'll need the right tools.

Matchday Squad

The lack of goals in the 2015/2016 season can be attributed to the managers reluctance to go forward.

We created next to nothing that season, yet we had a very decent striker in Oliveira with his hands on his hips.

The reliance on Britt stems from the fact we concede so many, furthermore conceding fewer goals doesnt mean shutting up shop.

Warburton will be the man to strike the balance, but he'll need the right tools.
    Agree completely.

If we're looking at signing players of Hector's calibre (albeit on loan), I'm supremely confident Warburton will be the man to sort us out at the back. We only have to see the emergence of Traore to see what he can do; hopefully if he remains fit for a large part of the season, with Lichaj also back to his best, we'll be far more resolute in defence.

Traore - Mancienne/Worall - Hector - Lichaj.

The issues in my mind are in midfield. We're clearly crying out for a dominant box-to-box midfielder, and Irvine would be a great start. Another midfielder that's creative would also help, and someone who is a no-nonsense warrior.