Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 238 of 240 FirstFirst ... 138188228236237238239240 LastLast
Results 5,926 to 5,950 of 5978

Thread: Bird Feeding!

  1. #5926
    Ian Storey-Moore
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Terra Incognita
    Posts
    4,821

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    Are you on community service again?
    No choice, that's twice she's escaped in as many weeks.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #5927
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shakey Wakey/Leeds Border
    Posts
    20,393

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    There you go Notts Boys

    Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk


  4. #5928
    First Team
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Behind the net curtains
    Posts
    9,508

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    Quote Originally Posted by lard View Post
    There you go Notts Boys

    Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
    It’s Nottingham!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Your palms are holding her neck and thumbs are at her ears regulating the speed of her head as she swallows and then sucks up your machinery. She is topping up your engine oil for the cross-country coming up. Your RPM is hitting a new high. To wait any longer would be to lose prime time... She picks up a Bugatti's momentum. You want her more at a Volkswagen's steady trot. Squeeze the maximum mileage out of your gallon of gas. But she's eating up the road with all cylinders blazing.

    Aniruddha Bahal (Bunker 13

  5. #5929
    First Team
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Behind the net curtains
    Posts
    9,508

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    Donnocks seem like drab ordinary birds but they they have the most amazing sexual behavoiur

    "at the peak of the courting season dunnocks may mate with each other up to 100 times a day"

    https://keithbroomfield.com/racy-sex-life-dunnock/
    That’s put me off their caramel wafers!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  6. #5930
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    33,144

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    Quote Originally Posted by lard View Post
    I take it you don't get them much round Notts then ?
    They are very common round here and another reason you need to come to my reserve one day !


    Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
    There supposed to be some down the old quarry’s in Kirkby but haven’t spotted one yet. I regularly cycle around where barbus works as well and not seen anything up there.


  7. #5931
    Matchday Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Extremadura Spain
    Posts
    595

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    First Cuckoo today!!


  8. #5932
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    14,744

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    There supposed to be some down the old quarry’s in Kirkby but haven’t spotted one yet. I regularly cycle around where barbus works as well and not seen anything up there.
    I have seen them in the Vale of Belvoir (not Notts, I know) and last summer there was one flying above Thorneywood.


  9. #5933
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Beeston
    Posts
    16,589

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    Apparently an osprey has been seen over Attenborough.


    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...47891378588086

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk


  10. #5934
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    out west
    Posts
    18,896

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    Magpie nicking coconut matting for its nest




    EXACT SAME BENEFITS

  11. #5935
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    33,144

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbus View Post
    Apparently an osprey has been seen over Attenborough.


    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...47891378588086

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    That’s cool. I wonder if it was on its way to Rutland Water, be great if a pair settled at Attenborough.


  12. #5936
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Beeston
    Posts
    16,589

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    That’s cool. I wonder if it was on its way to Rutland Water, be great if a pair settled at Attenborough.
    It would be fantastic. There's a nesting platform there that was put up several years ago in the hope they might nest here but so far none have taken up the offer.
    I saw no fewer than 4 herons down there this evening, heard my first chiffchaff of the year, and according to the birdnet app, heard a cetti's warbler.
    We also saw some bats in Attenborough village as we walked back home.

    Didn't see any ospreys though!

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk


  13. #5937
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    33,144

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbus View Post
    It would be fantastic. There's a nesting platform there that was put up several years ago in the hope they might nest here but so far none have taken up the offer.
    I saw no fewer than 4 herons down there this evening, heard my first chiffchaff of the year, and according to the birdnet app, heard a cetti's warbler.
    We also saw some bats in Attenborough village as we walked back home.

    Didn't see any ospreys though!

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Good stuff mate, been great weather today and can’t fault you.
    Never seen or heard a Cetti’s Warbler, always good to hear the Chiffchaffs though


  14. #5938
    axe to grind
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ประเทศไทย
    Posts
    3,562

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbus View Post
    It would be fantastic. There's a nesting platform there that was put up several years ago in the hope they might nest here but so far none have taken up the offer.
    I saw no fewer than 4 herons down there this evening, heard my first chiffchaff of the year, and according to the birdnet app, heard a cetti's warbler.
    We also saw some bats in Attenborough village as we walked back home.

    Didn't see any ospreys though!
    Consultations are underway for a project to re-introduce Osoreys to the nature reserve in Suffolk where I'm a volunteer warden. I hope it goes ahead they're amazing birds and it would be great for conservation in the local area.

    https://www.suffolkwildlifetrust.org...ion%20project.

    Last edited by Buckaroo; 31-03-21 at 04:46.

  15. #5939
    axe to grind
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ประเทศไทย
    Posts
    3,562

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Good stuff mate, been great weather today and can’t fault you.
    Never seen or heard a Cetti’s Warbler, always good to hear the Chiffchaffs though
    You very rarely see Chetti's but you can hear them if they are are around, their calls are very distinctive and very loud




  16. #5940
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Beeston
    Posts
    16,589

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Good stuff mate, been great weather today and can’t fault you.
    Never seen or heard a Cetti’s Warbler, always good to hear the Chiffchaffs though
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    You very rarely see Chetti's but you can hear them if they are are around, their calls are very distinctive and very loud

    It was lovely out last night. Felt just like a warm summer's evening...apparently it's going to snow on Monday!

    I've never knowingly heard CWs before, but most likely I have but just never recognised the song. There are some songs and calls I know instantly, but loads I don't. There were others I heard last night but by the time I'd got my phone out and opened the app they refused to repeat.


  17. #5941
    axe to grind
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ประเทศไทย
    Posts
    3,562

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard




  18. #5942
    Senior doom Monger
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Vale of Belvoir
    Posts
    23,123

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    We were given a bird feeder station and feeders the other day.
    After a couple of quiet days the feeders are being mobbed now by a flock of goldfinches, a swarm of sparrows or dunnocks - I never can tell the difference, a couple of blue tits, a couple of great tits, the inevitable pigeons and a blackcap.


  19. #5943
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shakey Wakey/Leeds Border
    Posts
    20,393

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    We were given a bird feeder station and feeders the other day.
    After a couple of quiet days the feeders are being mobbed now by a flock of goldfinches, a swarm of sparrows or dunnocks - I never can tell the difference, a couple of blue tits, a couple of great tits, the inevitable pigeons and a blackcap.
    The Dunnocks will very rarely go to the feeders , They are usually the ones on the ground hopping about under the feeder or below a Bush.

    Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk


  20. #5944
    Matchday Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Extremadura Spain
    Posts
    595

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    Thought the local Ravens were being a bit noisy this morning whilst I was having my morning coffee on the terrace. No wonder, counted 14 in total, 9 in a nice group and 5 stragglers, never seen so many at once. Anyone know why the collective noun is an Unkindness?


  21. #5945
    Senior doom Monger
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Vale of Belvoir
    Posts
    23,123

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    Quote Originally Posted by Forest65 View Post
    Thought the local Ravens were being a bit noisy this morning whilst I was having my morning coffee on the terrace. No wonder, counted 14 in total, 9 in a nice group and 5 stragglers, never seen so many at once. Anyone know why the collective noun is an Unkindness?
    Why is a raven like a writing desk?

    The answer is in Alice in Wonderland... if you use your noggin.

    What's the difference between a raven and a jackdaw?
    We have groups of black birds on the lawn and I thought they were jackdaws, but might they be ravens?
    Or are they rooks?

    Last edited by Captain Sinister; 03-04-21 at 17:52.

  22. #5946
    Matchday Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Extremadura Spain
    Posts
    595

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    If you see a crowd of crows they're rooks, a rook on its own is a crow.


  23. #5947
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    33,144

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    We’ve got a Wood Pigeon that has started eating the blossom on our trees, much to my missus’s disapproval.
    I don’t mind, it’s a pretty bird and quite friendly, they’ve been nesting in a conifer further down the road for years.


  24. #5948
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Beeston
    Posts
    16,589

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    Why is a raven like a writing desk?

    The answer is in Alice in Wonderland... if you use your noggin.

    What's the difference between a raven and a jackdaw?
    We have groups of black birds on the lawn and I thought they were jackdaws, but might they be ravens?
    Or are they rooks?
    Jackdaws are much smaller than ravens. Their head is a bit lighter in colour to the rest of their feathers. Jackdaws have very pale eyes too.
    Rooks are large and have big, grey beaks. I find both quite easy to identify unless they are high up and silhouetted against the sky, but also the calls are very different and are a dead giveaway.
    The two I have trouble telling apart from a distance are ravens and carrion crows as they look very similar but ravens are larger.

    When I lived in Alfreton there were a group of rooks that seemed to live in a tree up the street, I would regularly see them on rooftops and tv aerials but I never, ever saw one in my garden.

    Last edited by Barbus; 04-04-21 at 10:00.

  25. #5949
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Beeston
    Posts
    16,589

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    Speaking of corvids. Saw two jays (not together) while walking round Wolly Park yesterday. I do like to see jays. Shame they aren't more common.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk


  26. #5950
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shakey Wakey/Leeds Border
    Posts
    20,393

    Default Re: Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

    Slavonian Grebe

    Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

    Last edited by lard; 04-04-21 at 16:50.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •