Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast
Results 676 to 700 of 720

Thread: The 11 point watch

      
  1. #676
    Upper Decker
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In acres of space
    Posts
    43,023

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Yates View Post
    Hopefully Sheffield United go down with 14 points
    Bit annoyed they got over 12 tbh.

    THE TRUTH IS THERE AND WITH IT I GO TO THE END OF THE WORLD .

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #677
    Massive Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    On Tour
    Posts
    25,276

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    Another year done, although Sheffield United sharing the record wouldn't have been a bitter pill to swallow at all


  4. #678
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,157

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Flagman View Post
    A classic.


  5. #679
    Youth Team
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    258

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    Does the 11 Point Watch also apply to the Championship?!

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk


  6. #680
    Grenville Morris
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    29,255

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    Adjusting for games played the equivalent point target total in the Championship would be 13.

    30/09/2021: It's only 8 points to the play-offs. Doesn't matter if we're 20th having lost three times as many games as we've won so far. I fancy us now that Hughton's gone.

  7. #681
    Matchday Squad
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Posts
    1,019

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    On current form we are on target for 8 points


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  8. #682

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Beardo7 View Post
    On current form we are on target for 8 points


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It does look a long way to Rotherham's Championship lowest points record of 23 at the moment.


  9. #683
    Wally Ardron
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Cotgrave
    Posts
    1,544

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    Norwich will beat the record this season

    You heard it here first


  10. #684

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde View Post
    Norwich will beat the record this season

    You heard it here first
    Derby will set a new one for the Championship


  11. #685
    Wally Ardron
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Cotgrave
    Posts
    1,544

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-engelos Mindminackers View Post
    Derby will set a new one for the Championship
    What's the latest negative points tally? Last time I checked it was approaching absolute zero.


  12. #686

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde View Post
    What's the latest negative points tally? Last time I checked it was approaching absolute zero.
    Check season end when Derby smash it


  13. #687

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    The record's in serious danger methinks


  14. #688
    Wally Ardron
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Cotgrave
    Posts
    1,544

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    Quote Originally Posted by duncanmckenzie View Post
    The record's in serious danger methinks
    Called it a week ago


  15. #689
    Grenville Morris
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    29,255

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    Same things were said about Sheff Utd last year.

    3 wins and 3 draws and 32 losses is enough. Norwich will find a way to get those results.


  16. #690
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Trent End
    Posts
    18,454

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    Yeah Norwich will get enough points. However pointless they are.


  17. #691
    Wally Ardron
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    york
    Posts
    1,695

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Rzarecteh View Post
    Yeah Norwich will get enough points. However pointless they are.
    You have to hope so but they really do look clueless at the moment. Not sure why they are so bad when they were champions last season. Watford and Brentford look so much more acclimatised to the premier league, it’s as if Norwich expect to get relegated and just want to bank the money and run


  18. #692
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    13,341

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    Selling their best player to Villa won't have helped. They've now lost 16 games in a row in the top division.

    Sent from my SM-A426B using Tapatalk


  19. #693
    Wally Ardron
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The wrong end of the county
    Posts
    2,344

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    Quote Originally Posted by redforest View Post
    it’s as if Norwich expect to get relegated and just want to bank the money and run
    Every time they get promoted, it's getting annoying that they keep winning promotion, let someone else have a go.


  20. #694
    Bob McKinlay
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    99,287

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Forestjones View Post
    Every time they get promoted, it's getting annoying that they keep winning promotion, let someone else have a go.
    But it’s another indictment of the ridiculous parachute payments, because they are getting promoted, then immediately relegated, but the parachute money allows them to keep the players who got them promoted - who are inevitably top-Tier in the Championship - and then up they go again, because the artificial financial boost they get allows them a squad nobody else can afford in the second tier.

    When it comes to the Premier League, if they were a racehorse, they’d be done under the „non-triers“ rule.

    „I believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialism“

    „Don't forget you're alive. 'Cause sometimes when you walk around the city and you're in a bad mood, you can think, hey, wait a minute, we're alive! We don't know what the next second will bring and what a fantastic thing this is. This can get easily forgotten in the routine of life, and that's something I'm trying to bring to my attention at all times. Don't forget you're alive. We're not dead, you know. This is the greatest thing.”

    — Joe Strummer

  21. #695
    Wally Ardron
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    1,504

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    But it’s another indictment of the ridiculous parachute payments, because they are getting promoted, then immediately relegated, but the parachute money allows them to keep the players who got them promoted - who are inevitably top-Tier in the Championship - and then up they go again, because the artificial financial boost they get allows them a squad nobody else can afford in the second tier.

    When it comes to the Premier League, if they were a racehorse, they’d be done under the „non-triers“ rule.
    Yes,but the way the game is set up currently,it’s the best way to go to ensure the future of the club.
    I can see no point embarking on a ridiculous spending spree to fill the pockets of mainly inadequate players and
    bloated agents-just to satisfy the fantasists amongst the fanbase.
    As you say,the parachute payments are killing the Championship,and the greed of the Premier League(especially
    the ‘big 6’)make a mockery of the whole game.


  22. #696
    Ian Storey-Moore
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    4,287

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloughie1975 View Post
    Yes,but the way the game is set up currently,it’s the best way to go to ensure the future of the club.
    I can see no point embarking on a ridiculous spending spree to fill the pockets of mainly inadequate players and
    bloated agents-just to satisfy the fantasists amongst the fanbase.
    As you say,the parachute payments are killing the Championship,and the greed of the Premier League(especially
    the ‘big 6’)make a mockery of the whole game.
    Ricky Parry is wanting the parachute payments done away with. He's recommended it to Tracey Crouch as part of the enquiry into football legislation.


    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...ments-25075943

    Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk


  23. #697
    Youth Team
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    242

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    The thing about Parachute Payments is they protect the viability of the Premier League.

    Imagine if they weren’t there for one second. Clubs go up and are unwilling to sign players on premier league contracts, lest they get relegated. The financial burden is a dangerous commitment to take on.

    Players don’t want to join newly promoted teams because they’ll either be offered lower (championship) wages for a normal contract (3 years?) which protects the financial viability of the club; or will only be offered 1 year at premier league money, for the same reason.

    Clearly the Parachute system then in turn completely shanks the viability of the EFL, but I can’t see it changing.

    Without the system, the three promoted teams either a) gamble, b) don’t (and get whipped).

    There is an argument to say removal of those parachutes might bring wages of your average PL player down a bit, which can’t be a bad thing.

    And the total parachute payments could also be spread out equally within the championship, bringing every club some more income.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  24. #698
    Grenville Morris
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    29,255

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    Quote Originally Posted by redforest View Post
    You have to hope so but they really do look clueless at the moment. Not sure why they are so bad when they were champions last season. Watford and Brentford look so much more acclimatised to the premier league, it’s as if Norwich expect to get relegated and just want to bank the money and run
    Sheff Utd took 2 points from their first 17 games.

    If Norwich win one game in their next 11 matches they've "started" better than Sheff Utd did last season, who comfortably avoided the 11 point total in the end.

    Norwich have played: Leicester, Man City, Liverpool, Everton, Watford, Arsenal. You'd probably expect them to take 3 or 4 points from that list, so having 0 points is bad but not catastrophic.


  25. #699
    Grenville Morris
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    29,255

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    The thing about Parachute Payments is they protect the viability of the Premier League.

    Imagine if they weren’t there for one second. Clubs go up and are unwilling to sign players on premier league contracts, lest they get relegated. The financial burden is a dangerous commitment to take on.

    Players don’t want to join newly promoted teams because they’ll either be offered lower (championship) wages for a normal contract (3 years?) which protects the financial viability of the club; or will only be offered 1 year at premier league money, for the same reason.

    Clearly the Parachute system then in turn completely shanks the viability of the EFL, but I can’t see it changing.

    Without the system, the three promoted teams either a) gamble, b) don’t (and get whipped).

    There is an argument to say removal of those parachutes might bring wages of your average PL player down a bit, which can’t be a bad thing.

    And the total parachute payments could also be spread out equally within the championship, bringing every club some more income.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You could scrap the parachute payments and clubs would still spend chasing the Premier League dream/trying to stay up because the £150m from being in the Prem is so lucrative. If anything stopping parachute payments would increase spending (at least for promoted clubs) as relegation would be more penalising that is currently is.

    The problem isn't parachute payments itself it's the total financial compensation for playing (at least one season) in the Premier League. Forest's revenue is about £30m annually of which TV revenue accounts for about 10%. If we got promoted our revenue would be nearer £200m, of which TV revenue would suddenly account for 75%.

    The solution is government regulation whereby the Premier League pays a % of it's total solidarity payments to PL clubs, to the lower leagues.

    Ie - if the PL pays out £150m odd to the 20x PL clubs, then they should pay Championship sides 5% of that figure, L1 sides 2%, L2 sides 1% etc.

    If the PL makes more money and can pay more out to the PL clubs as solidarity payments, then the payments to other clubs goes up too.

    This allows the PL to still be awash with money but would also keeps the wider pyramid more financially secure. Clubs chasing premier league get more breathing space if they want to pay more wages, and clubs who don't think they can compete at that level still get a decent reward for being middling Championship/L1 sides punching above their weight (like Burton did a few years back for example).


  26. #700
    Ian Storey-Moore
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,201

    Default Re: The 11 point watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Forestjones View Post
    Every time they get promoted, it's getting annoying that they keep winning promotion, let someone else have a go.
    I think it is part of their business plan. promotion,relegation parachute payment.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •