Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 374 of 385 FirstFirst ... 274324364372373374375376384 ... LastLast
Results 9,326 to 9,350 of 9624

Thread: Cricket thread!

  1. #9326
    Matchday Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    701

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by Masuka View Post
    I fail to see how a T20 tournament with the same amount of marketing and effort would have been any different to the hundred.
    Some grumbles about this pitch from commentators and the one yesterday. I think This pitch made for a more evened contest behind bat and ball and actually made batters work for there runs-rather than just hitting through the line on flat batting wickets. Brilliant match-Stoke had a mare-cud continued bowling spin but as soon as pace came back on Notts we’re back in it.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #9327
    Youth Team
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Nottinghamshire Derbyshire Border.
    Posts
    251

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    What a great afternoon/evening/night. Will definitely be going to another game!

    Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk


  4. #9328
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chester
    Posts
    10,915

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    Difference between the 100 and T20 is money and the 100 gets more money because it has less teams. Less teams means better sides as there are more players to pick from.

    Cricket isn’t like Footy as the player pool is nowhere near as big a d limiting teams helps drive up quality.

    Look at Trent rockets team there is no way Notts would ever get a side like that.


  5. #9329
    Gaff Lad
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the Fairground.
    Posts
    22,799

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by EmmersonForest4 View Post
    Difference between the 100 and T20 is money and the 100 gets more money because it has less teams. Less teams means better sides as there are more players to pick from.

    Cricket isn’t like Footy as the player pool is nowhere near as big a d limiting teams helps drive up quality.

    Look at Trent rockets team there is no way Notts would ever get a side like that.
    Aye... like the Premier League, but for cricket.


  6. #9330
    Matchday Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    Aye... like the Premier League, but for cricket.
    At least the Premier League isn't a franchise,yet......


  7. #9331
    Francis Benali (on loan)
    Guest

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    Hales must have enjoyed that. Probably felt he had something to prove.

    Not often in his England exile that he's had the opportunity to win a game against a team including three of England's white ball bowlers.


  8. #9332
    Matchday Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    Hales must have enjoyed that. Probably felt he had something to prove.

    Not often in his England exile that he's had the opportunity to win a game against a team including three of England's white ball bowlers.
    Hales typifies many modern cricketers-out of his depth if the ball deviates more than a millimetre(as shown
    by his woeful test performances),but good on a flat track with a white/pink ball which does nowt.


  9. #9333
    Francis Benali (on loan)
    Guest

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    Wait, pink ball is used in the longer format. Moved all over the place in Adelaide on the last Ashes tour. It's been said it swings more than the red ball. Are we just complaining about different colours now? Northern Superchargers' purple was a disgrace last night IMO. Purple has no place in cricket. Never needed any purple in our proper cricket 1980s Duncan Fearnley jockstraps.

    Hales is a one day specialist obviously. Even used to have those way back in the glory days before Sky wankers, like Neil Fairbrother. He's also very good, who ought to be back in the England team by now. Time to get over it. Him missing the World Cup two years ago nearly cost England when Roy got injured, Vince came in, struggled and England lost to Australia and Sri Lanka.

    Last night's track was not easy to bat on. He played sensibly and made sure he was there at the end to win it. They kept saying he wouldn't have played that innings a few years ago, not sure that's fair. The RLC final four years ago springs to mind.

    Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 27-07-21 at 07:49.

  10. #9334
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    13,299

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Wolfgang Schnell BSc. PhD. View Post
    I, for one, would like to thank Eddie for paying all that money to Sky every month so that I can watch this cricket, that he doesn't like, on youtube for nothing.
    You're welcome Wolfgang although I'm sure I'm not the only Sky subscriber who's not interested in franchise cricket

    I've no real issue with the 100, it's just a bit of fun for the kids

    Anyway grown ups cricket starts next Wednesday exclusively on Sky


  11. #9335
    Matchday Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    Pink ball is used in the longer format. Moved all over the place in Adelaide on the last Ashes tour. It's been said it swings more than the red ball.

    Hales is a one day specialist obviously. Even used to have those way back in the glory days before Sky wankers, like Neil Fairbrother. He's also very good, who ought to be back in the England team by now. Time to get over it. Him missing the World Cup two years ago nearly cost England when Roy got injured, Vince came in, struggled and England lost to Australia and Sri Lanka.

    Last night's track was not easy to bat on. He played sensibly and made sure he was there at the end to win it. They kept saying he wouldn't have played that innings a few years ago, not sure that's fair. The RLC final four years ago springs to mind.
    The general impression of the pink ball(when it was used in the day/night trial in the County Championship),
    was that it did very little-except as the floodlights came on.This is certainly consistent to what I saw.
    As for Hales,why would you want to improve in the 4/5 day game when you can tour the world earning a fortune
    in mainly meaningless tournaments?


  12. #9336

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Yates View Post
    You're welcome Wolfgang although I'm sure I'm not the only Sky subscriber who's not interested in franchise cricket

    I've no real issue with the 100, it's just a bit of fun for the kids

    Anyway grown ups cricket starts next Wednesday exclusively on Sky
    I shall be there on Thurs !

    Looking forward to it.

    Hope the weather holds.


  13. #9337

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    Wait, pink ball is used in the longer format. Moved all over the place in Adelaide on the last Ashes tour. It's been said it swings more than the red ball. Are we just complaining about different colours now? Northern Superchargers' purple was a disgrace last night IMO. Purple has no place in cricket. Never needed any purple in our proper cricket 1980s Duncan Fearnley jockstraps.

    Hales is a one day specialist obviously. Even used to have those way back in the glory days before Sky wankers, like Neil Fairbrother. He's also very good, who ought to be back in the England team by now. Time to get over it. Him missing the World Cup two years ago nearly cost England when Roy got injured, Vince came in, struggled and England lost to Australia and Sri Lanka.

    Last night's track was not easy to bat on. He played sensibly and made sure he was there at the end to win it. They kept saying he wouldn't have played that innings a few years ago, not sure that's fair. The RLC final four years ago springs to mind.
    There were quite a few sly digs at Hales and Patel from one of the commentators last night.


  14. #9338
    Gaff Lad
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the Fairground.
    Posts
    22,799

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Wolfgang Schnell BSc. PhD. View Post
    I shall be there on Thurs !

    Looking forward to it.

    Hope the weather holds.
    Love your avatar Prof.


  15. #9339
    Upper Decker
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In acres of space
    Posts
    42,828

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    I have tickets for the Saturday of the upcoming Test against India. Proper cricket for the grown ups.

    Really looking forward to this one. Kohli and his boys coming to town.

    THE TRUTH IS THERE AND WITH IT I GO TO THE END OF THE WORLD .

  16. #9340

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    Love your avatar Prof.



  17. #9341
    Francis Benali (on loan)
    Guest

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloughie1975 View Post
    The general impression of the pink ball(when it was used in the day/night trial in the County Championship),
    was that it did very little-except as the floodlights came on.This is certainly consistent to what I saw.
    As for Hales,why would you want to improve in the 4/5 day game when you can tour the world earning a fortune
    in mainly meaningless tournaments?
    Off on a tangent, and likely depends on the ball. But Kohli two years ago...

    "It's quite exciting," Kohli said. "I think it's a new way to bring excitement to Test cricket. We are all very excited about that. The pink ball I played yesterday, I felt it swings a lot more as compared to the red ball because there's extra lacquer on the ball which doesn't go away too fast. And the seam holds upright quite a bit.


  18. #9342
    Gaff Lad
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the Fairground.
    Posts
    22,799

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Wolfgang Schnell BSc. PhD. View Post
    Magic.


  19. #9343
    Bob McKinlay
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    98,183

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Wolfgang Schnell BSc. PhD. View Post
    There were quite a few sly digs at Hales and Patel from one of the commentators last night.
    Jealousy.

    „I believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialism“

    „Don't forget you're alive. 'Cause sometimes when you walk around the city and you're in a bad mood, you can think, hey, wait a minute, we're alive! We don't know what the next second will bring and what a fantastic thing this is. This can get easily forgotten in the routine of life, and that's something I'm trying to bring to my attention at all times. Don't forget you're alive. We're not dead, you know. This is the greatest thing.”

    — Joe Strummer

  20. #9344
    Francis Benali (on loan)
    Guest

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    Couple of things from this tournament from the last couple of days.

    This record will keep getting broken, but 21k watched women's domestic cricket in England on Sunday. Couldn't have happened without the new tournament. Do like the way you see the men's tams watching the women's and viceversa. And one side talking about letting the side down when they've lost and the other won. It is feeling a bit like one team playing two competitions, wasn't expecting that to work as well it has.

    For both Trent Bridge games I've seen my nieces in their local team's cricket top, dancing on the TV. Even managed to get some commentary on their dancing last night. One of them came home with a picture they them and Stuart Broad. My brother has taken them to T20, but there's not always been the enthusiasm. They don't want to miss a Rockets game now. For primary school kids, when there are players like Root, Stokes and Rashid they've seen winning World Cups on the TV, probably Jake Bugg, and you're on the telly - what a day out for primary school kids. Which, I think was the point. Get families in and attrac a new audience.

    But there are also the beer snake T20 crowd and sounded as into it as they would be a NOtts game last night. And why wouldn't they beat, as there were Notts players beating some of England's best and it was great entertainment. And who likes cricket, living in Nottingham, wouldn't want to go see Rashid Khan play? He might not be back.


  21. #9345
    Francis Benali (on loan)
    Guest

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Wolfgang Schnell BSc. PhD. View Post
    There were quite a few sly digs at Hales and Patel from one of the commentators last night.
    Who Nick Knight?


  22. #9346

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    I don't know, don't usually watch Sky so don't recognise many of the voices.


  23. #9347
    Up-Front
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Divorce courts.
    Posts
    18,521

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    First live taste of 100 at Trent bridge last night, pitch made for a bit of a slog but that Matt Carter six was a sweet a strike as Ive ever heard/seen.

    Bloke behind me put out a MATT CARTER, REMEMBER THE NAME shout in a Bishop accent that went down well.

    Controversial shout on the womens game, how fucking unfit do most of them look? The combined weight of the female rockets team must be right up there.


  24. #9348

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    I honesty can't understand how you've been divorced so many times


  25. #9349
    Up-Front
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Divorce courts.
    Posts
    18,521

    Default Re: Cricket thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Wolfgang Schnell BSc. PhD. View Post
    I honesty can't understand how you've been divorced so many times
    In the words of the great Roy Walker, "say what you see".


  26. #9350

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •