Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 406 of 411 FirstFirst ... 306356396404405406407408 ... LastLast
Results 10,126 to 10,150 of 10258

Thread: The Triffic Premier League as it 'appens Thread

Default Re: The Triffic Premier League as it 'appens Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    I don't want anything to change from how it is now. It's already gone too far imo. I don't back the plan the big 6 made, but I'm against the idea of letting them fuck off to a super League in the sense that football elsewhere will be this magical old school 80s dream.

It will be old school football alright, in time most will be playing on old cow fields in local parks owned by the same guy that runs the local corner shop.
    I don't think that is true at all

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    You could say that about pretty much any league in the world. The reason there is so much investment in the Premier League is because the rewards are so great. When the Premier League and Champions League money is gone, so does the incentive for investment for most owners. It would be nothing like the figures you see being thrown around now.
    I agree. The numbers change but the point I'm making is that the framework wouldn't change and you'd only end up with the same pattern repeating itself i.e. those with the highest earning/investment potential concentrating wealth and power and the rest left to fight over the scraps. Be under no illusion either, a league without the top six is still a big draw and would attract high interest and audiences. Not close to the current levels financially but significant enough to attract investors.

Massive Member

Quote Originally Posted by derbyshirered View Post
    I don't think that is true at all
    Where would the money come from to keep the standard of football at the level it is now?

What would stop the good players from moving to the European super League?

How would football clubs keep the 100+ people in the background in a job?

Why would anyone who has that money invest into a club when there is no real financial aim to win the top league?

The multi millionaires don't invest in clubs because they love it. They do it to make money. It's why they are multi millionaires, they know what they are doing when it comes to making a profit.

I don't want anything to change from how it is now. It's already gone too far imo. I don't back the plan the big 6 made, but I'm against the idea of letting them fuck off to a super League in the sense that football elsewhere will be this magical old school 80s dream.

It will be old school football alright, in time most will be playing on old cow fields in local parks owned by the same guy that runs the local corner shop.
    My preference is for things to remain as they are, but with FFP scrapped and a better distribution of TV money. Sadly I don't think that's going to happen.

What it looks like we are left with is two shit options:
    1) Something akin to Project Big Picture; the money will stay in the domestic leagues, but it will be the end of genuine competition in football as the leagues are run for and by the elite clubs.
    2) Elite teams forming a European Super League; the money will leave as the elite go off to play in their walled garden. More competition in the domestic leagues, but at the expense of quality as the best players play elsewhere.

Whatever option happens, the elite clubs will get what they want and everyone else will lose out one way or another.

Massive Member

My preference is for things to remain as they are, but with FFP scrapped and a better distribution of TV money. Sadly I don't think that's going to happen.

What it looks like we are left with is two shit options:
    1) Something akin to Project Big Picture; the money will stay in the domestic leagues, but it will be the end of genuine competition in football as the leagues are run for and by the elite clubs.
    2) Elite teams forming a European Super League; the money will leave as the elite go off to play in their walled garden. More competition in the domestic leagues, but at the expense of quality as the best players play elsewhere.

Whatever option happens, the elite clubs will get what they want and everyone else will lose out one way or another.
    Agree mate. It's lose lose for anyone that isn't in the exclusive club. If any of those things happen, especially the super League teams outside of that club can kiss goodbye to having any sort of ambition because anyone with the money to possibly achieve it pre-big picture or breakaway will either not be interested or allowed to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzcarraldo View Post
    I agree. The numbers change but the point I'm making is that the framework wouldn't change and you'd only end up with the same pattern repeating itself i.e. those with the highest earning/investment potential concentrating wealth and power and the rest left to fight over the scraps. Be under no illusion either, a league without the top six is still a big draw and would attract high interest and audiences. Not close to the current levels financially but significant enough to attract investors.
    I really don't think it would be a big draw to be honest. Without the Sky Sports Six, the Premier League would be as attractive to your average arm chair fan in China and the USA as the SPL or Leagues One and Two. The money and audience just wouldn't be there, especially competing against the European Super League which has all the biggest teams and world's best players.

I really don't think it would be a big draw to be honest. Without the Sky Sports Six, the Premier League would be as attractive to your average arm chair fan in China and the USA as the SPL or Leagues One and Two. The money and audience just wouldn't be there, especially competing against the European Super League which has all the biggest teams and world's best players.
    The multitude of TV channels around the world still have schedules to fill. Take out MC, MU, LFC, CFC, AFC and THFC, say, and you're still left with a host of teams with large fan-bases and, as important if not more-so, earning potential. You wouldn't get close to the eye-watering numbers for the EPL currently but the 'market' would still be worth hundreds of million per year.

Upper Decker

The multitude of TV channels around the world still have schedules to fill. Take out MC, MU, LFC, CFC, AFC and THFC, say, and you're still left with a host of teams with large fan-bases and, as important if not more-so, earning potential. You wouldn't get close to the eye-watering numbers for the EPL currently but the 'market' would still be worth hundreds of million per year.
    I'm sure they will try and package and sell it in the same way they do the Championship, SPL etc, but as with those leagues the TV deal will be paltry in comparison.

Stand Firm And Strike Hard

Most fans of teams outside the big six are local though. Even the likes of Aston Villa and Leeds have very limited appeal outside of their respective catchment areas. Most of these clubs have been in the Championship at some point in recent years and they hardly brought in the big bucks to this league. The Premier League would pretty much become the SPL, but without Celtic's Champions League money.

Massive Member

But for how long though mate? You only need to look at kids on the park and see these days most are wearing shirts for those teams in the top division.

The "support local" is dying out however you look at it. Sure football would be fine for a period, but the next generation are top tier mental. The huge fan bases might survive for longer than the rest, but what good does that do if you are effectively the Celtic of the championship?

But for how long though mate? You only need to look at kids on the park and see these days most are wearing shirts for those teams in the top division.

The "support local" is dying out however you look at it. Sure football would be fine for a period, but the next generation are top tier mental. The huge fan bases might survive for longer than the rest, but what good does that do if you are effectively the Celtic of the championship?
    True, the 'market' would settle over time and we might see it diminish. However, this only shines light on my core concern that, regardless of size, the market would still behave the same. And, the results would be the same; a concentration of wealth and the majority struggling. In the scenario where there is even less money sloshing around, it would lead to more clubs going out of business or re-constituting. In 20-30 years time we'd be telling Villa and Leeds to fuck off.

Not sure what we've been debating to be honest. Have we defined the problem? Seems to me most just want a more equal share of the spoils and a more even playing-field. I don't believe, without a complete overall of the ownership and structure of the game in this country, that this is possible. Nor, as long as there is money to be made, will it happen.

Massive Member

True, the 'market' would settle over time and we might see it diminish. However, this only shines light on my core concern that, regardless of size, the market would still behave the same. And, the results would be the same; a concentration of wealth and the majority struggling. In the scenario where there is even less money sloshing around, it would lead to more clubs going out of business or re-constituting. In 20-30 years time we'd be telling Villa and Leeds to fuck off.

Not sure what we've been debating to be honest. Have we defined the problem? Seems to me most just want a more equal share of the spoils and a more even playing-field. I don't believe, without a complete overall of the ownership and structure of the game in this country, that this is possible. Nor, as long as there is money to be made, will it happen.
    I think everyone is debating the same point in essence, but I do also think that unfortunately the worst is yet to come.

It's no coincidence that this has come about during 2020, COVID has left a lot of clubs in serious difficulty so they have struck whilst the iron is hot.

They've been planning something like this for a long long time, COVID has let them reveal the plan earlier than they would have done otherwise.

Upper Decker

I think everyone is debating the same point in essence, but I do also think that unfortunately the worst is yet to come.

It's no coincidence that this has come about during 2020, COVID has left a lot of clubs in serious difficulty so they have struck whilst the iron is hot.

They've been planning something like this for a long long time, COVID has let them reveal the plan earlier than they would have done otherwise.
    No fans in the stadiums to protest either. Absolutely the best moment to make sweeping changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    No fans in the stadiums to protest either. Absolutely the best moment to make sweeping changes.
    Said it earlier on in another thread; out of every crisis comes opportunity. And, if there is anything these absolute ****-wallopers (Glazers et al) are good at it is seeing an opportunity in crisis. They see in ten-year cycles but exploit every moment.

Upper Decker

I agree there has been an inevitability about this for a while. Looks at most other European leagues and you have 1 or 2 clubs who are on a different planet in financial terms relative to the other clubs. Bayern, PSG et al. have been desperate for something like this to happen.

In England we have global football giants who rake in between a half and a billion a year only 20 odd places above clubs with miniscule revenues. It's like Tesco competing with a corner shop.

Having said that, the latest TV deal actually did level the playing field somewhat for all EPL clubs, with them receiving substantial annual income. Villa destroying Liverpool probably was the watershed. Swan song...

Massive Member

The same as an earlier post. Only some things are certain in this life.

Death, taxes and a Manchester United penalty.

... and whilst we were all rightly distracted, I notice Bamford hits a hat-trick against cashys boys.

Upper Decker

https://twitter.com/espenstrand/stat...130321920?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by Statto View Post
    ... and whilst we were all rightly distracted, I notice Bamford hits a hat-trick against cashys boys.
    Another player that Chelsea crazily let leave the club without getting much of a chance.

Lukaku, De Bruyne, Salah, Declan Rice, Nathan Ake, Bertrand, van Aanholt, Bertrand Traore, Oriol Romeu.

They love buying decent players just to make sure other clubs don't get them. Then end up having to send those players on loan or sell them as they have no room for them.

Greedy bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanRoy22 View Post
    Another player that Chelsea crazily let leave the club without getting much of a chance.

Lukaku, De Bruyne, Salah, Declan Rice, Nathan Ake, Bertrand, van Aanholt, Bertrand Traore, Oriol Romeu.

They love buying decent players just to make sure other clubs don't get them. Then end up having to send those players on loan or sell them as they have no room for them.

Greedy bastards.
    Agree with the sentiment totally, but I'm not sure that at any point at which Pat was contracted to Chelsea, that he was actually good enough to play for them.

I would probably go as far as saying that since then he hasn't been either.

The obvious one they dropped was de Bruyne, in that they didn't give him too much of a chance, but of the players they have hoovered up, loaned out a lot, then sold, I don't think any of them would have played for them.

In terms of Bamford, I wonder if he would have been better staying with us, but let's not forget he was banging in for fun in the youth team whilst the first team couldn't score at all for weeks, his godfather had been forced out of the club to all intents and purposes and later died, and he was given a good offer and fee the club couldn't really afford to turn down. The Bamford cash probably kept the club afloat for a while and allowed the loan signings like Guedioura, Elokobi, etc which helped keep us up. And it was always going to be a gamble on such a young player making it at a top club.

They signed Scott Parker and Danny Drinkwater as well, barely played them. You wonder if that’s just to weaken the teams around them.

Red til I'm dead

Quote Originally Posted by Statto View Post
    Agree with the sentiment totally, but I'm not sure that at any point at which Pat was contracted to Chelsea, that he was actually good enough to play for them.

I would probably go as far as saying that since then he hasn't been either.

The obvious one they dropped was de Bruyne, in that they didn't give him too much of a chance, but of the players they have hoovered up, loaned out a lot, then sold, I don't think any of them would have played for them.

In terms of Bamford, I wonder if he would have been better staying with us, but let's not forget he was banging in for fun in the youth team whilst the first team couldn't score at all for weeks, his godfather had been forced out of the club to all intents and purposes and later died, and he was given a good offer and fee the club couldn't really afford to turn down. The Bamford cash probably kept the club afloat for a while and allowed the loan signings like Guedioura, Elokobi, etc which helped keep us up. And it was always going to be a gamble on such a young player making it at a top club.
    Didnít Chelsea give him a 5 year deal on about 14k a week? Not many 18 years turning that down, regardless of all the other stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The same as an earlier post. Only some things are certain in this life.

Death, taxes and a Manchester United penalty.
    And on Saturday the same system which awards all those penalties to ManU decides that Maguire getting a Chelsea player in a headlock in the penalty area does not constitute a penalty. Corruption continues at the highest level.

What Chelsea do is use it as a cash cow they hoover up all the young players and then loan them all out for a "loan fee" that's why they have 40 players out on loan.

Then in a few years time they can sell them on for a profit, having had no interest in ever playing them I listened to an interview with a player in L2 who played alongside a young lad on loan from Chelsea who was on £20k a week! he knew he wasn't going to ever play for them but was happy to just take the money.

The Drinkwater/Barkley and Parker thing was I believe was because they didn't meet the "homegrown player" quota for a squad to play in Europe so just brought who was available - but I could be wrong?

Massive Member

Tapatalk search function is shite.

Re: Fa cup thread

Grant Holt has let himself go a bit!