Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1011 of 1011 FirstFirst ... 115119119611001100910101011
Results 25,251 to 25,268 of 25268
  1. #25251
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sutton-in-Ashfield
    Posts
    4,069

    Default Re: A week in politics

    I am not trying to absolve parents of their responsibility, but the world isn't perfect and you know what, there are some right scumbags who have had kids and couldn't give two shits.

    But rather than repeating the cycle, how about with give those kids the most basic of leg ups so they can concentrate at school and work themselves out of poverty, rather than seeing them hungry and get dragged in to the benefits system.

    Just imagine if some rich folk actually paid their fucking taxes, think how many kids that could help. Rather than hating those who are below you on the social/economic ladder.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #25252
    Upper Decker
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In acres of space
    Posts
    39,592

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Phooey View Post
    As a parent I'm appalled that others would prioritise anything above feeding their kids.

    That said the kids themselves shouldn't go hungry so if it is the case the state should be doing something about it. Feed the kids and punish the parents.
    Such parents have demonstrated that they aren’t capable of looking after children so the state needs to intervene, either by providing social service support or taking the children into care etc, but giving the kids free meals at school is a short termist solution which colludes with the problem.

    Stand Firm And Strike Hard

  4. #25253
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    26,020

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    Such parents have demonstrated that they aren’t capable of looking after children so the state needs to intervene, either by providing social service support or taking the children into care etc, but giving the kids free meals at school is a short termist solution which colludes with the problem.
    It's a short term solution that stops them going hungry whilst we find a better solution...

    .k I m
    I m u mm

  5. #25254
    13th Duke of Wybourne
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sabri's underpants
    Posts
    46,082

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Who on earth thinks it's a good idea to let children go hungry regardless of their situation?

    Yes, the parents should be better parents but considering the reduction in sure starts, increased unemployment and the horrendous universal credit roll out, who the fuck are we to judge.

    It's like people have forgotten a decade of austerity forced on us by the tories, while they and their friends rake it in. Especially in this pandemic.

    "Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

  6. #25255
    Upper Decker
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In acres of space
    Posts
    39,592

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Where have I said children should go hungry? That’s a strawman. I haven’t seen anyone advocating that children should suffer. The welfare of children is paramount, which is why a solution which genuinely protects the child from further long term suffering is needed.


  7. #25256
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    out west
    Posts
    16,262

    Default Re: A week in politics

    There's a great deal of wrapping this in bigger more long term issues. It won't help right now - we've needed free school meals in this country since the 19th century because poverty has been and remains endemic.

    To focus on the current issue before parliament, it is about a much smaller period of time. The 2 or 3 weeks of the Christmas holidays.

    So can we tackle this issue head on?

    Should we have a temporary extension of free meals into the holiday?

    If not, is there an alternative on the table?

    If not, might some children go hungry? If so, is that punishing them for a problem (whom ever to blame) they did not create?

    Without strategy, execution is aimless. Without execution, strategy is useless.

  8. #25257
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Nellingen-Ostfildern
    Posts
    969

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    There's a great deal of wrapping this in bigger more long term issues. It won't help right now - we've needed free school meals in this country since the 19th century because poverty has been and remains endemic.

    To focus on the current issue before parliament, it is about a much smaller period of time. The 2 or 3 weeks of the Christmas holidays.

    So can we tackle this issue head on?

    Should we have a temporary extension of free meals into the holiday?

    If not, is there an alternative on the table?

    If not, might some children go hungry? If so, is that punishing them for a problem (whom ever to blame) they did not create?
    For the UK to have any chance of prospering as a whole (not the few) post Brexit we have to invest massively in Education... in teachers, in Infrastructure, in equipment, in the curriculum and yes in free school meals.

    As far as I am concerned everything stems from having a great education system, better educated people tend to be healthier so less strain on the health service, better educated people generally contribute more to society, they make better informed decisions. If we want to be a great country again then we have to have great people and that can only come from giving everyone the best chance possible. And that includes at least one good meal a day.


  9. #25258
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Terra Incognita
    Posts
    3,866

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Rather than invest in the system of education we have, which is grounded in antiquated ideas of economies and the intellectual, we should be investing in a different way of educating.

    Being an optimist, I hoped Brexit might be the opportunity to review and revise many of the concepts and systems that underpin society in order to make it fairer and more equitable. Problem is, those in control don't seem to have any interest in that.


  10. #25259
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    26,020

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzcarraldo View Post
    Being an optimist, I hoped Brexit might be the opportunity to review and revise many of the concepts and systems that underpin society in order to make it fairer and more equitable. Problem is, those in control don't seem to have any interest in that.
    Why would they? They are doing very nicely out of it, thank you very much.

    Our state schools aren't designed for the benefit of the child on the whole, they are designed to create workers - people capable enough to deliver labour, but not broadened enough to question their place in the workforce nor whether their is fairness or equity in it either.

    We used to have unions but those have been systematically cracked now. Can the BA workers who were laid off and re-hired on much weaker terms understand why it's happening, how it's legal, how to fight against it? Does anyone bat an eyelid that state pension age is continuining to be bumped upwards despite life expectancy increases having plateaud?

    Most haven't even worked out yet that it's not wages that defines wealth in this day and age but asset ownership, and that allows some very, very, very dodgy asset transactions/activity to go unnoticed by wider society.

    For all the Brexit/Trump stuff seemingly kicking up a plethora of the downtrodden finding their voice, nothing really has changed.

    But it's a view I've held for many years now and there doesn't seem to be any real desire to change how the world operates, so I've now got to the point of if you can't beat them, join them. If the world's going to continue to be shit then I want out of it as early as possible, and retire to a small/cheap/rural place with a garden and casually forget about horrendous corporate practises and politicians in the pocket of big business.


  11. #25260
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Terra Incognita
    Posts
    3,866

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    Why would they? They are doing very nicely out of it, thank you very much.

    Our state schools aren't designed for the benefit of the child on the whole, they are designed to create workers - people capable enough to deliver labour, but not broadened enough to question their place in the workforce nor whether their is fairness or equity in it either.

    We used to have unions but those have been systematically cracked now. Can the BA workers who were laid off and re-hired on much weaker terms understand why it's happening, how it's legal, how to fight against it? Does anyone bat an eyelid that state pension age is continuining to be bumped upwards despite life expectancy increases having plateaud?

    Most haven't even worked out yet that it's not wages that defines wealth in this day and age but asset ownership, and that allows some very, very, very dodgy asset transactions/activity to go unnoticed by wider society.

    For all the Brexit/Trump stuff seemingly kicking up a plethora of the downtrodden finding their voice, nothing really has changed.

    But it's a view I've held for many years now and there doesn't seem to be any real desire to change how the world operates, so I've now got to the point of if you can't beat them, join them. If the world's going to continue to be shit then I want out of it as early as possible, and retire to a small/cheap/rural place with a garden and casually forget about horrendous corporate practises and politicians in the pocket of big business.
    I think you've covered everything.


  12. #25261
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Nellingen-Ostfildern
    Posts
    969

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post

    But it's a view I've held for many years now and there doesn't seem to be any real desire to change how the world operates, so I've now got to the point of if you can't beat them, join them. If the world's going to continue to be shit then I want out of it as early as possible, and retire to a small/cheap/rural place with a garden and casually forget about horrendous corporate practises and politicians in the pocket of big business.
    But then 'they' win... if people like you, who really care about this just want to get out then we truly are on a downward spiral.


  13. #25262
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    88,772

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Look, in the UK, the vast majority of the population have been tucked up by the wealthy, who have hoarded assets and land for, in some cases decades, with no challenge because they know the right people and can buy all the influence needed to keep things as they are.

    Remember the „Panama Papers“? The disclosure of rampant offshore hoarding of wealth, and how fists were banged on tables and change promised?

    How’s that worked out?

    The UK is beset with rampant inequality and corruption. Always has been.

    And like Robbie says, true change is unlikely to happen in our lifetimes, so effectively you’ve got to look out for yourself.

    „I believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialism“

    „Don't forget you're alive. 'Cause sometimes when you walk around the city and you're in a bad mood, you can think, hey, wait a minute, we're alive! We don't know what the next second will bring and what a fantastic thing this is. This can get easily forgotten in the routine of life, and that's something I'm trying to bring to my attention at all times. Don't forget you're alive. We're not dead, you know. This is the greatest thing.”

    — Joe Strummer

  14. #25263
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Terra Incognita
    Posts
    3,866

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Decent. Spoken like a true man of the 'left'.


  15. #25264
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    26,020

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob1965 View Post
    But then 'they' win... if people like you, who really care about this just want to get out then we truly are on a downward spiral.
    They've already won.




  16. #25265
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    5,478

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    They've already won.

    All you need to do is convince a small number of the bottom 50% that sovereignty and statues are more important than economic equality.

    You’ve then got an automatic majority and a democratic mandate to keep shitting on them


  17. #25266
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    out west
    Posts
    16,262

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    They're winning massively

    ftfy

    We can still turn it around, but the mass of people have to stop being concerned about the 10% at the bottom who will still take the piss - they will for sure, but the their piss taking will never amount to anything like the piss taking from the top 10%


  18. #25267
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Nellingen-Ostfildern
    Posts
    969

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    They've already won.



    I know you are right but I really don't want to believe it


  19. #25268
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    26,020

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    ftfy

    We can still turn it around, but the mass of people have to stop being concerned about the 10% at the bottom who will still take the piss - they will for sure, but the their piss taking will never amount to anything like the piss taking from the top 10%
    Hate to sound defeatist but I'm not sure we can turn it around.

    Battles won in the past on things like income disparity or regulation in the workplace aren't going to have an impact they once did.

    Rich people aren't rich anymore because they're paid a lot, they are rich now because they own stocks and bonds which have grown 100's of % in the last decade, two decades etc compared to paltry gains in wages.

    You don't even have to own a yacht to experience this anymore. I'm 33, but by the time I am 35 I will be earning about as much from my stocks portfolio in dividends/reinvested growth as the average man on the street makes in their annual salary. And no I don't mean total value, I do mean yearly gains. I have saved hard for a half a decade to build that position but I am by no means a millionaire or from landed wealth. It is frankly ludicrous that that is even possible for someone from my walk of life that that could be possible.

    I wish more working and middle class folk would learn for themselves the financial power of investing, because it really does determine the difference between doing just fine and retiring at 50. Surprisingly it's not a subject which is ever discussed at school, but you'll still spend hours on making apple pies, making a tie die t-shirt or learning about Vishnu.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •