Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 991 of 1102 FirstFirst ... 491891941981989990991992993100110411091 ... LastLast
Results 24,751 to 24,775 of 27545
  1. #24751
    Ale ape.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Congo, deported by Priti Patel
    Posts
    34,303

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    This is a Labour politician and they want people like me to vote for them again? No chance, until they get a decent cabinet and Starmer gets rid of idiots that come out with outright lies just to suit their personal agenda.
    Well, on the other hand, Starmer hasn’t given her a shadow cabinet position - and unless you live in the Brent South ward, you wouldn’t actually be voting for her.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #24752
    Nigel Clough
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,640

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    Far-right demo in Nottingham today, endorsed by Yaxley-Lennon.
    Ah. Thought heíd left the country?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  4. #24753
    Nigel Clough
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,640

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    She said she got pulled over by the Police because sheís black. She wasnít even driving the car and the driver looked white, the Police pulled the car over because the plate matched a stolen car but it turned out they made an error on the plate. They tried to apologise but that wasnít good enough for her, she had to go on to social media saying the police are prejudice.

    This is a Labour politician and they want people like me to vote for them again? No chance, until they get a decent cabinet and Starmer gets rid of idiots that come out with outright lies just to suit their personal agenda.
    Yeah just been reading about it.

    Does she really care if you vote for Labour though? Sheís done very well for herself by declaring everything as racist, so if it aint broke....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  5. #24754
    Ale ape.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Congo, deported by Priti Patel
    Posts
    34,303

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by RealRed85 View Post
    Ah. Thought he’d left the country?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He has. He just endorsed it.


  6. #24755
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    33,128

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by congo_red View Post
    Well, on the other hand, Starmer hasn’t given her a shadow cabinet position - and unless you live in the Brent South ward, you wouldn’t actually be voting for her.
    I just find it irresponsible behaviour especially during times of racial tension. A politician should know better or be behaving better and yeah I know there are ***** on both sides but I’m not interested in the Tories.


  7. #24756
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Dock Of The Bay, Bakersfield NG3.
    Posts
    14,112

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by RealRed85 View Post
    Ah. Thought he’d left the country?
    He's in hiding whilst hiding behind his false name.


  8. #24757
    Ale ape.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Congo, deported by Priti Patel
    Posts
    34,303

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    I just find it irresponsible behaviour especially during times of racial tension. A politician should know better or be behaving better and yeah I know there are ***** on both sides but I’m not interested in the Tories.
    I do agree. And I’m not actually bothered if you vote Labour or not (if anything I’d prefer if more folks voted LD)...but Starmer wasn’t in charge when she was made a candidate and can’t afford to be kicking any MPs out of the party when they have so few seats. So, not sure how that one can be laid at his door.


  9. #24758
    Bob McKinlay
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    96,629

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    He's in hiding whilst hiding behind his false name.
    And probably on someone elseís passport, again.

    ĄI believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialismď

    ĄDon't forget you're alive. 'Cause sometimes when you walk around the city and you're in a bad mood, you can think, hey, wait a minute, we're alive! We don't know what the next second will bring and what a fantastic thing this is. This can get easily forgotten in the routine of life, and that's something I'm trying to bring to my attention at all times. Don't forget you're alive. We're not dead, you know. This is the greatest thing.Ē

    ó Joe Strummer

  10. #24759
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    33,128

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Cortez the Killer View Post
    I have to say that by not voting for Corbyn - and I spoke to plenty of the red wall who refused to vote for him - you automatically handed power to Johnson, like it or not. By 'you' I mean the general electorate, even those who chose not to vote at all. The vast majority of my work colleagues admit they voted for Johnson because they believed he'd deliver on Brexit, whereas Corbyn might not have. They prioritised a desire to leave the EU over anything else. I should say that most of them now reckon that Johnson is useless and expect Gove to take over, a man they acknowledge was as unelectable as Corbyn.
    My family are from the north-east and moved down in the 60s for the mines. I have a lot of family still up there. Those areas voted Tory because of immigration and no other reason.
    I now work in Rotherham. My colleagues voted for Johnson because of their anti-Muslim tendencies, largely spurred by the local Asian sexual grooming gangs from a few years ago. Speak to anyone in Rotherham who didn't vote Labour and they'll say the same thing.

    By the way, I hope I didn't come across as confrontational. I'm genuinely not. I know you're a decent bloke with a sound attitude so I don't want to cause any offence. I'm interested in whether things have changed politically in the last 9 months, and I see that it hasn't for everyone.

    Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk
    Sorry Cortez, missed this and donít worry I didnít read it as confrontational.

    I get what you are saying but I couldnít get into the mindset of voting for the lesser of the two evils as others did. Whilst some voted Liberal, some didnít vote at all.

    I feel the party got complacent that some areas and class groups would just vote for them by default. But they didnít and they should take something from that.


  11. #24760
    Upper Decker
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In acres of space
    Posts
    42,523

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    She said she got pulled over by the Police because sheís black. She wasnít even driving the car and the driver looked white, the Police pulled the car over because the plate matched a stolen car but it turned out they made an error on the plate. They tried to apologise but that wasnít good enough for her, she had to go on to social media saying the police are prejudice.

    This is a Labour politician and they want people like me to vote for them again? No chance, until they get a decent cabinet and Starmer gets rid of idiots that come out with outright lies just to suit their personal agenda.
    She's like the winger (left?) who keeps diving to the floor and rolling about in agony when the defender hardly touched her. Everyone can see what's really happening.

    Her antics certainly don't help Labour's cause.

    THE TRUTH IS THERE AND WITH IT I GO TO THE END OF THE WORLD .

  12. #24761
    Ale ape.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Congo, deported by Priti Patel
    Posts
    34,303

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    She's like the winger (left?) who keeps diving to the floor and rolling about in agony when the defender hardly touched her. Everyone can see what's really happening.

    Her antics certainly don't help Labour's cause.
    That’s a top-notch metaphor.


  13. #24762
    Upper Decker
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In acres of space
    Posts
    42,523

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Sorry Cortez, missed this and donít worry I didnít read it as confrontational.

    I get what you are saying but I couldnít get into the mindset of voting for the lesser of the two evils as others did. Whilst some voted Liberal, some didnít vote at all.

    I feel the party got complacent that some areas and class groups would just vote for them by default. But they didnít and they should take something from that.
    For me it was a case of ruling out the parties I wouldnt vote for and then making a choice between those I would. That is the job of a voter. It isnt "letting someone in".

    As you say, the responsibility is with the Labour Party. If they put forward a credible leader with a believable agenda people would vote for them. "Letting Johnson in" sounds like a continuation of the blame game - it was the media's fault, it was the voter's fault, it was everyone else's fault because we won the argument, they let the Tories in, they, them, it was them, them not us, we had no agency in the outcome. A fittingly victim mindset for a party of losers.
    Until Labour begin taking some responsibility for their appalling record in elections nothing will change.

    The first thing is to accept that in order to be elected, not only do they have to win back the Red Wall voters but also some centrist Tory voters. Otherwise they will continue to "win the argument", but in reality continue to be a party of losers.


  14. #24763
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    'ull
    Posts
    14,296

    Default Re: A week in politics

    So she is Andy sinton.


  15. #24764
    Impressive member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    14,480

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Makes me laugh how the right wing blame Labour for not having a credible leader, and yet wilfully voted for a man with a history of adultery, who's been sacked several times for dishonesty, and who openly uses racist and homophobic terminology. I've yet to hear a credible argument from anyone other than a 'whatabout' argument relating to antisemitism and a concern about Labour's proposed public spending, which was instantly invalidated once Rishi Sunak announced his Covid package.

    Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk


  16. #24765
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    33,128

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Cortez the Killer View Post
    Makes me laugh how the right wing blame Labour for not having a credible leader, and yet wilfully voted for a man with a history of adultery, who's been sacked several times for dishonesty, and who openly uses racist and homophobic terminology. I've yet to hear a credible argument from anyone other than a 'whatabout' argument relating to antisemitism and a concern about Labour's proposed public spending, which was instantly invalidated once Rishi Sunak announced his Covid package.

    Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk
    They don’t care about those minor details mate, they want to keep what’s theirs and if that means putting Boris in No 10 that’s what they’ll do. He’s just a face, a puppet, for something bigger.

    Labour voters on the other are different imo. They want a leader and party with policies they believe in, they want someone to shout for them, not ignore them.
    Besides that the party was a mess, didn’t they try to sue their own members for whistleblowing racism within the party? Not a very Socialist thing to do, is it?


  17. #24766
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Dock Of The Bay, Bakersfield NG3.
    Posts
    14,112

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    She said she got pulled over by the Police because sheís black. She wasnít even driving the car and the driver looked white, the Police pulled the car over because the plate matched a stolen car but it turned out they made an error on the plate. They tried to apologise but that wasnít good enough for her, she had to go on to social media saying the police are prejudice.

    This is a Labour politician and they want people like me to vote for them again? No chance, until they get a decent cabinet and Starmer gets rid of idiots that come out with outright lies just to suit their personal agenda.
    I'm not arguing or disagreeing with you over Dawn Butler, but I can offer another perspective Bryn.

    My wife of 50-years is a 70-year-old, Nottingham-born woman of Carribean heritage. A year-or-so ago she bought a two-year-old Mini Cooper. Because it's quite a distinctive-looking car, I teased her that she'll likely attract the attention of an over-zealous policeman-or-two. Guess what, she has.

    She is the most careful, observant driver I know, yet she's been stopped three times in Nottingham since the emergence of the Black Lives Matter movement. On one of the occasions, she was stopped on Porchester Road whilst taking her 90-year-old aunt to church in Mapperley. The two other occasions happened in Sneinton. As ever, she refuses to make an issue of it, yet for the best part of 40 years as a nurse, she was never stopped whilst driving to-and-from the QMC in any of the distinctly modest cars she drove during that period.


  18. #24767
    Nigel Clough
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,640

    Default Re: A week in politics

    While Iíve no doubt that black people in nice cars still get pulled over by police for no reason, Dawn Butler had tinted windows, so there was no way the police who mistakenly identified the plate could even tell the race of anyone inside the car.

    Once again, Butler crying wolf over everything and everyone supposedly being racist, detracts from what needs to be done to genuinely fight racism.

    Iím only surprised David Lammy hasnít piled in to add his support too. Another racist who gets away with it because heís not white.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  19. #24768
    It's all about mid-table...
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wetherspoons
    Posts
    20,834

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Let's be honest,Labour's fukt. I come from generations of Labour people, all trade unionists, some shop stewards, it ran through all our veins.

    I cant stand the way they sold out to their core voters, the unions have become little lambs with not an ounce of bollox.

    Namby pamby untalented shower of piss weak politicians, and the thing is the Tories are comically crap and the weakest Govt in history, yet Labour cant hold a candle to them.

    Unelectable full stop.


  20. #24769
    Ian Storey-Moore
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    STH NORMANTON
    Posts
    4,661

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymondo Ponte' View Post
    Let's be honest,Labour's fukt. I come from generations of Labour people, all trade unionists, some shop stewards, it ran through all our veins.

    I cant stand the way they sold out to their core voters, the unions have become little lambs with not an ounce of bollox.

    Namby pamby untalented shower of piss weak politicians, and the thing is the Tories are comically crap and the weakest Govt in history, yet Labour cant hold a candle to them.

    Unelectable full stop.
    This should be put up on the wall in labours hq


  21. #24770
    Impressive member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    14,480

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    They donít care about those minor details mate, they want to keep whatís theirs and if that means putting Boris in No 10 thatís what theyíll do. Heís just a face, a puppet, for something bigger.

    Labour voters on the other are different imo. They want a leader and party with policies they believe in, they want someone to shout for them, not ignore them.
    Besides that the party was a mess, didnít they try to sue their own members for whistleblowing racism within the party? Not a very Socialist thing to do, is it?
    Yes, Labour are going through a civil war at the minute. Until they sort out their own internal squabbles they'll offer little in the way of opposition.

    Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk


  22. #24771
    Impressive member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    14,480

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Thatcher destroyed the trade unions in the 80s when she hammered the industries. Which is why I feel Brexit will be be felt much more keener here than it might have been.

    Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk


  23. #24772
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Fterno, Lefkada
    Posts
    15,150

    Default Re: A week in politics

    She did but some of the unions played a part in their own down fall doing a similar thing to what the Labour party is doing now, failing to represent it,s own rank and file members.


  24. #24773
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    33,128

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    I'm not arguing or disagreeing with you over Dawn Butler, but I can offer another perspective Bryn.

    My wife of 50-years is a 70-year-old, Nottingham-born woman of Carribean heritage. A year-or-so ago she bought a two-year-old Mini Cooper. Because it's quite a distinctive-looking car, I teased her that she'll likely attract the attention of an over-zealous policeman-or-two. Guess what, she has.

    She is the most careful, observant driver I know, yet she's been stopped three times in Nottingham since the emergence of the Black Lives Matter movement. On one of the occasions, she was stopped on Porchester Road whilst taking her 90-year-old aunt to church in Mapperley. The two other occasions happened in Sneinton. As ever, she refuses to make an issue of it, yet for the best part of 40 years as a nurse, she was never stopped whilst driving to-and-from the QMC in any of the distinctly modest cars she drove during that period.
    That’s absolutely ridiculous isn’t it.
    What was their reason? Surely you are not going to tell me they thought a 70 year old woman stole a Mini Cooper? Mind you, my dad is 70 and got wrongfully accused of shoplifting, so anything is possible...

    I don’t doubt there is some racism in the Police force, it exists in most places towards some group or other.


  25. #24774
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Fterno, Lefkada
    Posts
    15,150

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Ive never understood why some Police seem to enjoy being the enemy of the working class. They are only working class themselves.


  26. #24775
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    JLB Credit
    Posts
    10,417

    Default Re: A week in politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Lefkasman View Post
    Ive never understood why some Police seem to enjoy being the enemy of the working class. They are only working class themselves.
    I think you need a degree to be in the police now - it's a much more middle class career.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •