Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: Premier Leagues 1 and 2

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Premier Leagues 1 and 2

Is it just me or does he seem to have it slightly the wrong way around? It seems to me that the three teams that come down from the Premier League struggle in their first season in a lower league. It's the teams that go up in to the Premier League that invariably end up coming straight back down.

i'd agree with no relegation so long as forest were in it

Crap Idea.

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

Call me old fashioned if you like, but I still prefer the setup of 92 clubs in 4 divisions...

If there's going to be a change, let it be that ManUre, Chelski, Arsenal and Scouse bugger off into their own little EuroSuperLeague.

Let 'em go. Bye bye.

It'll last 2 seasons tops cos - face it - would you as a supporter of e.g. the 4th best team in England travel to somewhere in the middle of Norway on a wet Tuesday night in February to watch Norway's 3rd best team?

It will die upon its money-laden arse.

Meanwhile, the football league is opened right up, and any of many clubs can win it - like the old days. More games in a season will have more meaning. More teams will be able to beat other teams.

The 'big 4' are in their own league as a result of the obscene amounts of money at their disposal. Their own league is exactly what they deserve.

By "relegation battle", do you mean 7th, 12th or 14th?

Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 'Sir' Flagman
    Call me old fashioned if you like, but I still prefer the setup of 92 clubs in 4 divisions...

If there's going to be a change, let it be that ManUre, Chelski, Arsenal and Scouse bugger off into their own little EuroSuperLeague.

Let 'em go. Bye bye.

It'll last 2 seasons tops cos - face it - would you as a supporter of e.g. the 4th best team in England travel to somewhere in the middle of Norway on a wet Tuesday night in February to watch Norway's 3rd best team?

It will die upon its money-laden arse.

Meanwhile, the football league is opened right up, and any of many clubs can win it - like the old days. More games in a season will have more meaning. More teams will be able to beat other teams.

The 'big 4' are in their own league as a result of the obscene amounts of money at their disposal. Their own league is exactly what they deserve.

Spot on that man

Swedish Meatball

Firstly, Flagman has made a lot of good points.

And he'll be right, there's only a matter of time before this European Super League comes into place, given that all the major teams in Europe now play in the CL, and as the likes of Spurs and Everton have found out, soon to be followed by Villa and Pompey, it's a glass ceiling.

The only team at present with the potential to break in is Manchester City, which could be the problem. Unless by the time it comes around, and I can't see it being in the next ten years, there's an established 'big five', gawd knows where it'll leave the Premiership.

I would disagree with Flagman in that playing Norway's third best team won't be a problem in a Euro League. My guess is the invite list would be similar to four from England, Spain and Italy, then one each from Germany, France, Holland and Portugal. The big boys look after their own interests, and so the likes of Norway could go fuck themselves.

It is even more inevitable given the increased average earnings of your typical 'big four' fan. If you can afford to pay £60 a ticket, you can afford an air fare to another part of Europe.

This is going to happen, in some form or another, and I wouldn't rule out them sealing the relegation trap door.

But, like a two Premiership system, they would be foolish to do so.

No relegation means the season ends before halfway for a lot of teams in the league, and the bottom end of the ladder would have nothing to play for. It means dull games and dead rubbers. Ask rugby union's Guinness Premiership what happens when you shut the door.

Im actually quite intrigued to see City's money take them into the top 4.

Not because I think thats the way it should be done. Far from it. But lets say when Sir alex retires in a couple of years, and United have a bit of a dodgy transition period, whilst City break into the top 4, United fall out of it. What do you think would happen? Theyd be in deep s**t is what.

With over 600million in debts, they NEED to qualify for the Champions League. Same for each of the big 4. Its unlikely any of them will "do a Leeds" but watch things suddenly change when one of the big'un's throw there dummy out when they don't qualify for the Champions League (or alternativly watch Uefa grant us a 5th Champions League spot )

man utd would not be in deep shit. if the glazers struggle there will be 10-20 multi-billionaires happy to buy them. man utd are the most famous sporting team in the world, behind only perhaps the new york yankees baseball team.

I quite like the idea of an NFL style system, with two "Conferences" running side by side.

Then, the top and bottom 4 teams from each conference go into some kind of play-off for relegation and championship respectively...

Ale ape.

Quote Originally Posted by One Lynch Punch
    I quite like the idea of an NFL style system, with two "Conferences" running side by side.
    There's a lot of good ideas in the NFL which could benefit the Premier League. Salary caps, first team squad limits, 'drafts' of the best young players and Club owners having to vote to approve new owners.

Sadly most of the above are only possible to implement when there is only a single league in the world, as they would just drive players/owners/managers/mone away from the Premier League and into other leagues

yam

If I could make a single change I'd go back to 1991 and fuck off the premier league altogether.

I agree with Mr Gartside. Just that I believe that only the top 34 teams from twenty one years ago should be included. That should eliminate Bolton as they were in the old 4th Division (& got promoted that year).

With any luck they will be back there shortly.

No matter how much they piss about with the leagues, they should never ever take away promotion/relegation.

Relegation battles are almost always far more interesting than title battles. In fact it's about the only time I ever take much interest in the premiership to be honest, the last month or so of the season, whats happening down the bottom. No idea why, but it can be quite exciting at times.

Quote Originally Posted by \m/ =j=
    No matter how much they p**s about with the leagues, they should never ever take away promotion/relegation.

Relegation battles are almost always far more interesting than title battles. In fact it's about the only time I ever take much interest in the premiership to be honest, the last month or so of the season, whats happening down the bottom. No idea why, but it can be quite exciting at times.

Because you can't always be sure who is going to be down there scrapping for their Premier League status, whereas in general you pretty much know who is going to be in the top four, and over the past few years you could pretty much say 1st or 2nd will be Manchester United or Chelsea, Arsenal seem to be mostly 3rd and Liverpool 4th.