Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: Forest's Od Badge

Default Forest's Od Badge

Hi everyone,

Just writing up an essay for university about forest, I wondered if anyone knew where I could get a high quality image of the old Forest badge ? and also if anyone knew the history of the design and why it changed?

Thanks again

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

winnits

Default Re: Forest's Od Badge

You mean the city crest image? Try dropping a PM to Flagman if that's the case.

My understanding is that we used a slightly modified version of the City of Nottingham coat of arms, but in the 70s it was changed because Forest were unable to copyright the image. The famous tree we now wear was a result of a design competition opened up to the public...

thanks to both of you thats a great help, yeah the one shown above, just trying to find abit of history

Senior Member?

winnits

Quote Originally Posted by nffclincoln View Post
    thanks to both of you thats a great help, yeah the one shown above, just trying to find abit of history
    The people to talk to on the forum are Flagman and Anatoli Todorov - both scholars and gentlemen in matters of Forest and history

The Forest logo wasn't exactly the same as the City Crest linked above - I believe the castle was removed and replaced with NFFC? Could have that wrong...

Last one standing

Quote Originally Posted by Winnits View Post
    The people to talk to on the forum are Flagman and Anatoli Todorov - both scholars and gentlemen in matters of Forest and history

The Forest logo wasn't exactly the same as the City Crest linked above - I believe the castle was removed and replaced with NFFC? Could have that wrong...
    You're right. If this official nffc pin badge is right...

yam

from wiki

not that good for use but you can see what it looked like.

Best served cold

You mean the city crest image? Try dropping a PM to Flagman if that's the case.

My understanding is that we used a slightly modified version of the City of Nottingham coat of arms, but in the 70s it was changed because Forest were unable to copyright the image. The famous tree we now wear was a result of a design competition opened up to the public...
    Explains the ridiculous lower cased e!

"I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers

winnits

Yep, but I quite like it!

Last one standing

I like both crests, I also like the fact that Forest still use the old crest now and again. (such as in that badge above)

...the Liatrom Red

Quote Originally Posted by Col View Post
    I like both crests, I also like the fact that Forest still use the old crest now and again. (such as in that badge above)
    Don't forget the weird 50's badge with the scary druggie in the robin hood hat. I would love to know which 12 year old drew that.

winnits

The happy Forester!

yam

The happy Forester!

Miserable git, and proud.

Here you go, a lot of reading, but this a bit about the Coat of Arms badge and how the new (current) badge came about. Should help you though?

The original announcement of a new badge came in the Nottingham Forest v Hull City programme, dated 6/3/73:

The present Forest badge was introduced in 1957 when Billy Walker, the manager at the time, and Mr Bill Pryor, a long-standing Vice President, got their heads together to design a new badge to replace the one then in use. The old badge, incidentally can be seen on the shirts of the team group depicted on page 11 of this programme. Having obtained a drawing of the City Coat of Arms the proceeded to alter it with N.F.F.C. Whilst the resulting badge was very attractive, it was, basically, still the City Coat of Arms.

Lots of clubs, including our neighbours Notts County, use their local City or County Coat of Arms but many are changing because it is not possible to obtain the copyright. Ipswich Town, Oxford United, Swindon Town, Luton Town and Derby County are a few who have done so in recent months.

We asked Mr Lyon, Deputy Director of Trent Polytechnic, and Mr Payne, Associate Head of the Graphics Department of the College of Art, for advice which was readily given.

The Sports Editor of the Nottingham Evening Post, Mr H Richards, was then approached and T Bailey Forman Ltd, the proprietors of the “Evening Post”, readily agreed to organise a competition for new badge designs.

Prizes of £25 and £5 for the winner and runner-up respectively are being given by the club and a £25 sports voucher is being presented by T Bailey Forman Ltd for the best entry in an under-18 section.

Designs should be submitted to: The Sports Editor, T Bailey Forman Ltd, Forman Street, Nottingham, NG1 4AB, and the envelope marked “Forest Badge” in the top left-hand corner, to be received no later than Saturday, 31st March.

The size of the proposed badge design should not be more than six inches wide or in depth and must be adaptable for reproduction in not more than three colours plus white and must be able to be used in one colour only.

It must be suitable for reproduction in various sizes ranging from 3 quarters of an inch to 4ft as it will be used on letterheads, shirt badges, ties, flags, souvenirs, pin badges etc.

We are mainly interested in an embryo idea so don’t worry if you are not an accomplished artist as the winning entry may have to be adapted by a professional designer.

We regret that entries cannot be returned and the club hold the copyright of the winning designs.
    Taken from the Nottingham Forest v Sunderland programme dated 24/4/73:

Opening and examining the sackful of entries for the new badge competition proved to be a job of major proportions as there were 855 in all, some coming from as far afield as Australia and West Germany, with one gentleman submitting no less than 27 designs! There were 587 designs received in the adult section and 268 in the junior section.

Many people included an exact replica of the archer in the ‘Home Brewery’ badge and many made a ‘Stag’ their main feature. Some combined a tree, Trent Bridge, and the river, whilst others made reference to local industry with tobacco leaves, bicycles, mortar and pestle etc. Old Forest favourite Wally Ardron included some Nottingham lace and a Raleigh bicycle in his design. The adjudicating panel certainly had a difficult job of selection from the many excellent ideas submitted before announcing the winning entries.
    Taken from the Nottingham Forest v Sheffield Wednesday programme dated 8/9/73 (and from what I can tell written by David Lewis – Designer / Lecturer in Graphic Design, Trent Polytechnic):

THE REQUIREMENTS OF A BADGE

Apart form the prescribed qualities of simplicity, adaptability, etc., the badge must have individuality and, if possible, an emotive content which should derive from something that can be associated with the club. These qualities are important if the motif is to be really “adopted” by the supporters. Further-more, it is vital that the badge has a “completeness” about it

Club badges already in existence appear to fall into definite categories:

(a) Traditional heraldic devices – often powerful but usually complex and clumsy (e.g. Arsenal and Aston Villa – City Coat of Arms as previously used by Forest).

(b) Intertwined initials – a current fashion, providing an “easy” solution, but usually lacking any real identity (e.g. Leeds United jersey badge)

(c) Simplified heraldic devices – usually in the form of an animal or associated object. This solution has a much more logical place in design today – compares favourably with large company symbols, road signs etc. (e.g. Derby County – Ram; Wolverhampton Wanderers – Running Wolf; Tottenham Hotspur – Cockerel).

Category “C” was decided to have the most potential.

OUR NEW CLUB BADGE

THE BADGE CONTENT: The tree was taken as the most appropriate subject to symbolise Forest; it was found to be too complicated if more than one tree were used, but too weak and vague with a tree on it’s own. The heraldic treatment of water provided a more unique quality, as well as giving a strong base to the design (water appropriate because of the City Ground’s proximity to the river). These points are important if supporters are to build strong emotional ties with the badge.

The overall proportion was arrived at (after a good deal of experimentation) as being the best combination to meet all the requirements. It was decided that a stylized tree shape was more appropriate than any particular species of tree. Shape however had to be strong and individual.

THE MAIN VISUAL ELEMENTS IN THE FINAL DESIGN: Equal thickness of heavy line treatment gives a “completeness” (fairly weighty appearance is much more likely to identify with supporters than a spindly one).

The straight and relatively short tree trunk gives strength and prevents the tree top and the water becoming too separate.

The tree achieves a unique quality through it’s shape – the triangular shape adds stability.

The Small “E” in the “Forest” helps give a personal identity to the name – it becomes something more unique that just the word.

yam

Blackpool's badge was worryingly similar to ours in the 80's

Nice one WestYorksNFFC, 'twas an interesting read. Extremely biased, but I think we've got one of the best badges in English football.

thanks everyone for your help, westyorksnffc, thats all great and much appreciated ... is making an interesting read, did always wonder why the e was lowercase to

L

Here here!

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

Amen! Saved me a ton of research & typing! Will still send you a thing later, Nffclincoln.

By "relegation battle", do you mean 7th, 12th or 14th?

Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

Last one standing

Quote Originally Posted by Flagman View Post
    Will still send you a thing later, Nffclincoln.

I'd watch out for Flagman, he's always sending his thing to unsuspecting members of the public...lol

My old fellow had about 30 different versions & sizes & backstamps of the Jolly Forester enamel badges.

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

Quote Originally Posted by Col View Post

I'd watch out for Flagman, he's always sending his thing to unsuspecting members of the public...lol
    I've sent him a large one!

Funny old story (I'm sure I've told it here before)...

My old maths teacher told us that he was a student teacher starting out in the 1970s, he saw the competition to design a Forest badge. Now, he was (unfortunately) a Derby fan, and thought it would be funny to design a badge for Forest, but to encircle his design with morse code spelling out 'Derby will forever rule supreme'.

His design finished 2nd in the competition...