Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Best served cold

Default Re: Nintendo 3DS Footage

Pilotwings, ocarina of time, streetfighter 4 and lylat wars in 3d!?! YES!

Also, those resident evil games look quite good, theres a few decent bits and bobs in there (I'm a sucker for professor layton and his jazzy hat).

Its actually quite a strong line up, for so early.

"I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers

There's no exact date or price for the Western launch yet, but in Japan the console will be priced at ¥25,000 - which is £189. A standard DSi is ¥15,000 (£113) in Japan but £150 here, which suggests the 3DS will be marked up to closer £250 when it's released in the UK.

All this was revealed at press conference in Japan earlier today, where it was announced that the 3DS would also include a Game Boy Virtual Console. This will work similarly to the Wii's Virtual Console, but with support for original Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance titles - with Super Mario Land and The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX mentioned specifically.

There's no other detailed information on the 3DS's online features, although Nintendo did talk again about its new Wi-Fi sleep mode, which allows it to download ranking data and free software (and fight requests from Street Fighter IV) even when it's turned off. The new tag mode also allows you to exchange data from multiple games at once whenever you pass anyone else with a 3DS.

The 3DS will come bundled with a fairly generously-sized 2GB SD card, although it wasn't entirely clear what this will be used for other than storing Miis (which can now be auto-generated when you take a photo of someone) and merging two photos together.

In Japan the 3DS will also allow you to view TV channels broadcast in 3D and no doubt Nintendo will be looking to offer a similar service in the West.

Nintendo didn't announce any new games but Capcom did: Mega Man Legends 3 Project and Resident Evil: Mercenaries. There was no real information on the Mega Man game, other than it's a sequel to the old PSone and Nintendo 64 series which remains the only real non-2D entry in the franchise.

Resident Evil: Mercenaries is a completely separate game to the already announced Resident Evil: Revelations and it sounds like it might be out first, as it reuses the graphics and maps from the popular bonus game from Resident Evil 4 and 5. The graphics look great on the 3DS and it's got an online multiplayer mode.

In terms of non-3DS related news Nintendo also confirmed the existence of the previously leaked Wii Remote Plus and revealed a new Super Mario 25th anniversary version of the DSi XL, which may or may not remain Japanese-only.

So March looks likely and god I want one

Best served cold

Epic, how can you say it looks meh when it has this bad boy on its way...

Just imagine being able to zoom into eva's boobies again but in 3d....

This console was made for hideo.

The 3DS will be released in Europe and North America in March 2011, Nintendo has announced.
    The glasses-free 3D-enabled handheld will be released in Japan on 26th February.
    Its out in feb for those lucky japanese types then, which at first i thought was ages away...but actually, its not really. Must resist the urge to import again.

Last edited by incapable hulk; 29-09-10 at 12:27.

The whole thing rests on the 3D being good, and from what I've heard it's supposed to be very impressive. Oh, and Pilotwings! £250 sounds too pricey though. I'd think that anything over a £180 launch price would put most people off.

Best served cold

Im chuffed to bits pilotwings is making a comeback

Its got to be sub £200, nintendo since the disaster of the n64 pricing, have generally stuck to a model of affordable consoles- and kept away from the luxury market. I'd say £180, as I guess the rise in vat will have probably have an effect too.

There is very very little chance of it being sub 200 (as a release price)..........pricing mistake or not, it's just not how ninty does it's business

Really? Haven't Nintendo consoles typically been priced lower than their Sega/Sony/Microsoft equivalents?

I'm just talking about the conversion from yen to sterling - it's never been 1:1 to the best of my limited knowledge, so the japanese price point of £190 (which is confirmed) wouldn't normally translate to anything less then £220-£250.

Best served cold

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyTart View Post
    There is very very little chance of it being sub 200 (as a release price)..........pricing mistake or not, it's just not how ninty does it's business
    True, and thats a fair point.

However, nintendo have made a massive song and dance about affordability in recent years and theres been a massive shift in the company from the luxury days of the n64- to getting its products out to a wider,mass market audience at a lower price point.

It'll certainly be interesting, and like you I too have my doubts about it being sub £200,as nintendo tech is usually very cheap to produce (the gamecube for example only cost £25 to produce, so every unit sold made serious profit)...but the stuff going into this seems abit more advanced and expensive than usual.
    Though again, alot of it is several years old repurposed tech.

Going above £200 would be a bold move and it would no doubt still sell loads, but it shifts the companies image back away from where they've worked so hard to position it.

I still think something will change between now and then, and they'll aim to force it down to about £180 (which is still well expensive for a handheld IMO). Maybe above £200 early, and then force it down for the follwing christmas.

Interesting times ahead.

My bet would be around 230 but you'll get something like a sd card and game thrown in to make it seem sub 200 if that makes sense? Chances are you'll want those things anyway they hope the rationale will go...

Best served cold

Yep, it makes total sense- the value added approach.