Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 145 of 146 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146 LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,625 of 3630
  1. #3601
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Speluncarrum Domus
    Posts
    10,916

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    Sad.

    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #3602

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    Such sad news. My thoughts and best wishes go out to the family at this time.


  4. #3603
    Wally Ardron
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Trowbridge, Wilts
    Posts
    1,733

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    Poor lad. 35. Ffs
    RIP


  5. #3604
    No wonder my post count..
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    11,854

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    Goddamn. I instantly thought of this forum when I heard his name mentioned again - he never played for us, but gave us so many good memories with the speculation!

    For all you LTLF noobs, have a read through this thread. It mostly centers around us thinking we were ever so close to signing him and Pratley (and Pratley's dog)



    MOTHERFUCKINGDEXTERBLOODYBLACKSTOCKOHMYFUCKINGGODY ESGETINYOUMOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FUCKINGHAVESOMEOFTHATYOUCUNTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  6. #3605
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    17,271

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    Desperately sad news, in amongst all the other depressing news in the world today.

    RIP young lad. You were some player with a wand of a left foot that I wish we'd signed.


  7. #3606
    Senior doom Monger
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Vale of Belvoir
    Posts
    23,564

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    It is such sad news.
    Admired him as a player.
    Wish he'd played for us.


  8. #3607
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,165

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    Such a thin line between life and death.

    Sometimes I wonder how we all survive for so long.

    Echo thoughts above. Though he was not ever our player, it just feels as if he was. Fine player, good lad by repute and my thoughts are with his desperately unlucky family.


  9. #3608
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    South London
    Posts
    7,560

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    I didn't know he'd died

    Was very sorry to see it


  10. #3609
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    out west
    Posts
    18,896

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    I didn't know he'd died

    Was very sorry to see it
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Very very sad

    Thoughts and prayers with his family


    EXACT SAME BENEFITS

  11. #3610
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    South London
    Posts
    7,560

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    I'm an alcoholic so I was probably blind drunk when I posted that

    In fact I'm pissed now


  12. #3611
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    out west
    Posts
    18,896

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga




  13. #3612
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    South London
    Posts
    7,560

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    You think I'm joking don't you


  14. #3613
    Wally Ardron
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    On the Brexit Border
    Posts
    1,780

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    You think I'm joking don't you
    I hope you are joking Harvey.

    But if you are not you have my best wishes and prayers.


  15. #3614
    It's all about mid-table...
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wetherspoons
    Posts
    20,856

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    I'm an alcoholic so I was probably blind drunk when I posted that

    In fact I'm pissed now
    Good lad.


  16. #3615
    Wally Ardron
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    On the Brexit Border
    Posts
    1,780

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymondo Ponte' View Post
    Good lad.
    Alcoholism is a disease, with serious consequences for the individual and his/her family.
    I write with feeling as my brother in law, a highly regarded doctor, has suffered from it all his life.

    It is no joking matter.


  17. #3616
    It's all about mid-table...
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wetherspoons
    Posts
    20,856

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    Quote Originally Posted by Red bandit View Post
    Alcoholism is a disease, with serious consequences for the individual and his/her family.
    I write with feeling as my brother in law, a highly regarded doctor, has suffered from it all his life.

    It is no joking matter.
    Don't worry I'm well aware of it more than anybody knows. So are tobacco drugs food the sun, the cold starvation etc etc.

    Yuv got live n be happy, keep smiling if ya cant ya may as well not be here, get out onnit.


  18. #3617
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    'ull
    Posts
    14,586

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymondo Ponte' View Post
    Don't worry I'm well aware of it more than anybody knows. So are tobacco drugs food the sun, the cold starvation etc etc.

    Yuv got live n be happy, keep smiling if ya cant ya may as well not be here, get out onnit.
    You are ray parlour.

    Or my uncle Malcolm


  19. #3618
    It's all about mid-table...
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wetherspoons
    Posts
    20,856

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    I luv yur Malc, is he the one in Garden Village?


  20. #3619
    Wally Ardron
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    On the Brexit Border
    Posts
    1,780

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    The last thing I want to do is spoil anyone’s fun. I enjoy a drink myself.

    However, there is a very fine line between heavy social drinking and alcoholism.

    For anyone who is concerned that they may have crossed that line Alcoholics Anonymous is a superb organisation and offers great support to those in need.

    It doesn’t matter what class of society you belong to or how successful in life you are, you may be vulnerable to this dreadful disease which can destroy individuals and families if it is not addressed.

    The contact number for AA is 08009177650 or email help@aamail.org.


  21. #3620
    First Team
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In the bath
    Posts
    7,729

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    Quote Originally Posted by Red bandit View Post
    The last thing I want to do is spoil anyone’s fun. I enjoy a drink myself.

    However, there is a very fine line between heavy social drinking and alcoholism.

    For anyone who is concerned that they may have crossed that line Alcoholics Anonymous is a superb organisation and offers great support to those in need.

    It doesn’t matter what class of society you belong to or how successful in life you are, you may be vulnerable to this dreadful disease which can destroy individuals and families if it is not addressed.

    The contact number for AA is 08009177650 or email help@aamail.org.
    I'm off to the 'what yer drinking?' thread.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk


  22. #3621
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    'ull
    Posts
    14,586

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymondo Ponte' View Post
    I luv yur Malc, is he the one in Garden Village?
    He has always fell in to situations where he could drink all day. His first job at 15 was collecting money from and fixing gaming machines / jukeboxes in boozers. So he’d drive round all day having a jar in every pub. Then he got a job doing the same on the Irish ferries. Then he met and Irish lass, married her and ran a pub in a rural Irish town. I remember whenever he came over for Christmas we had to get extra beer in as he’d do in a crate on his own, and everything else going, then drive my grandma home.

    When I was a good drinker myself I used to love going out with him as he’d drink us all in to oblivion and he’d be egging us all on and throwing money about. He always ate loads as well, full English, pub lunch, curry for tea and about 20 pints every single day and he’s still going strong at 73.


  23. #3622
    First Team
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Getting High
    Posts
    7,948

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    I still maintain controlled drinking is good for you, it's relaxing, and there have been plenty of suggestions red wine is actually good for you *necks more shiraz*

    The issue is when you're dependent on it - and that's different from liking a drink or drinking a lot. You could be dependent on a shot of brandy when you get home from work.

    The real problem is if you want to stop and can't, or if your need to drink impedes your ability to work or whatever...

    As for Whittingham, I heard a rumour Marthur was still trying to sign him


  24. #3623
    Viv Anderson
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    'ull
    Posts
    14,586

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    Quote Originally Posted by Statto View Post
    I still maintain controlled drinking is good for you, it's relaxing, and there have been plenty of suggestions red wine is actually good for you *necks more shiraz*

    The issue is when you're dependent on it - and that's different from liking a drink or drinking a lot. You could be dependent on a shot of brandy when you get home from work.

    The real problem is if you want to stop and can't, or if your need to drink impedes your ability to work or whatever...

    As for Whittingham, I heard a rumour Marthur was still trying to sign him
    Uncle Malcolm says you are only an alcoholic if you drink alone at home. Anything else means you aren’t. So that is official.


  25. #3624
    Warp Speed Chic
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    12,949

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    Quote Originally Posted by GOBIAS View Post
    Uncle Malcolm says you are only an alcoholic if you drink alone at home. Anything else means you aren’t. So that is official.
    Well... That's me fucked then.


  26. #3625
    Ian Storey-Moore
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Darkest Wiltshire
    Posts
    4,215

    Default Re: The Peter Whittingham Saga

    My father-in-law was an alcoholic and it was always tough to cope with him. Personally I think the 'it's a disease' statement is a crutch to avoid responsibility for the actions taken. He made the life of everyone around him miserable but never accepted any blame.

    If it's a disease then treat it as such, isolate from others and manage it until you cure the patient. In this case forcibly remove them from the environment and actually wean them off the booze rather than offering 'support' that they can choose to ignore.

    Alcohol is a great social lubricant but alcoholism just destroys the person and all those around them.

    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •